AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)

by Mappy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:08 am

Amazing what one discovers in one's travels....

imdb wrote:This movie is sequel of sorts to the original novel by Tsutsui Yasutaka, and the 1983 live-action movie - the main character's aunt is Yoshiyama Kazuko, the protagonist of the novel. The scenes featuring her in this movie are liberally sprinkled with references to the original novel and movie, including her description of a Sunday that was suddenly over before she knew it, and her former boyfriend who promised to return some day, to give a few examples.

The novel was written in 1965-66, so it's older than I am. A tv series based on the novel was made in 1972, and there is another movie (a remake of the 1983 film version) made in 1997.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:47 am

It did seem like they were hinting to a previous story. When I first watched it I though the Aunt would eventually explain more about it to her. That was before I noticed the appearance of the guy waiting for the artwork.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:14 pm

Watched the 1983 live-action film, whose plot follows much of the same pattern as the anime sequel, centering on the story of the Aunt, her relationship with a boy from the future and her accidental ability to leap through time due to coming into contact with a gas from a beaker that has the smell of lavender. A fairly cheaply made film with dodgy 80's special effects and music and some dire acting. But the plot of the film isn't all that bad and some of the locations used were a good example of Old Japan before the economic bubble saw much of the cityscapes leveled for more modern housing.... the urban decay is rife, but somehow quite pretty at the same time.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Nutzo-Squirrel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Hmmm, Something looks oddly familiar in story line as well here.

A book Written by Audrey Niffenegger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Traveler's_Wife (Highlight and paste, Stupid link won't fully activate)

If plagiarism was forcefully enacted with penalty of death, we'd be all dead, even the executioner. :cry:

Gahh!! they are even making a movie on it!
"Tick Tock Tickety Tock, What is the world without a clock"
Nutzo-Squirrel

by Mappy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:27 pm

There is no such thing as originality. Everything is a variation on something that went before. And all the article had to state was that the film version is to star Eric Bana to put me off wanting to see it. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man