AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Claymore

by stormy001 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:35 pm

This is one of the best anime series besides Seirei no Moribito in 2007 and I am glad to see it was animated well. The characters are well developed and after ep 11 it is good flow of story, since the reason to be is established. I would heartily recommend this anime to anyone who likes good story with progressing characters.

Convincing characters and tragic story of "live by the sword, die by the sword" ethos of warrior. I am kinda sucker for those kind of story.

Synopsis for those who do not know what I am talking about:

Based on a shounen manga by Yagi Norihiro serialised in Monthly Shounen Jump.

The setting of the story is a fictional world of abundant towns where humans coexist with demons called Yoma. These monsters feed on humans as their main source of food, hiding themselves in human society until they strike.

A group of skilled warriors form a nameless organization to protect humans from these demons. These warriors are called Claymores, after their immense Claymore weapons. They willingly infuse themselves with demon flesh and blood to become powerful half-human hybrids. Villages in danger of attack hire warriors from the organisation for protection.

The story of Claymore follows the adventures of the beautiful Claymore warrior Claire, who fights demons and struggles to hold on to her humanity.

Long ago, the Yoma, the shape changing demons, took human form to live in disguise among human society. They feed on human innards, and take possession of memories from the brains of people they eat. These acquired memories help them better disguise themselves within human society.

In recent years, a secret society discovers a way of implanting demon bodies and body parts into humans, to create hybrids more powerful than the original demons. Hybrid`s standard abilities include faster healing, limited shape modification, the ability to detect other demons and hybrids, and overall enhanced physical prowess. Almost all hybrids are created against their will; they are typically survivors of families attacked by demons. The only exception is the lead character, who volunteered to become a hybrid to avenge her family. The society sends hybrids to towns that can afford their fares to kill demons, although not every hybrid does so willingly (this is implied in the manga.) The society is often strict and harsh; hybrids who break the rules risk being hunted down by their fellow hybrids.

(From Anime DB)

[lightbox]/stormy001/1181075011080.jpg[/lightbox]
http://anime-comments.blogspot.com/

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Ryan White » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Yes, Claymore is definitely going to be on the playlist soon. By the way, Stormy, are you trying to get me to fly to KL in order to punch you? You've been given an account to host images on, so stop blutig linking to image boards.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:14 pm

This is probably my favourite series so far this year. Quite realistically brutal in a very Berserk kind of way. We can only hope it doesn't end the way Berserk did, though....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Psike81 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:04 am

I've gotten to ep 4 ... looks like i need more room for it .
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by stormy001 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Mappy wrote:This is probably my favourite series so far this year. Quite realistically brutal in a very Berserk kind of way. We can only hope it doesn't end the way Berserk did, though....

The manga only reach halfway and with its rate of 12 chapters a year, it is gonna be another 6-7 years before it is done. The author stated that Claymore story will be finished in 25 volumes, in Japan the latest is 12 volumes.

So either the anime have an open ending or worst, incomplete like Berserk or Kare Kano.

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Pirate Man » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:52 pm

I hope this doesnt turn into another Bleach, where all the characters get progessively more powerful beyond ridiculous levels. However from cheat reading the character synopsis its turning into some sort of fire emblem (the game not the anime) style anime where they ditch the old and bring in the new.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:39 am

That would be good if Claire's sidekick gets shafted. He's more annoying than Wesley Crusher.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by stormy001 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:42 pm

Personally I find his character important in showing the human side of Claire. I don't find him annoying.

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Mappy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:07 pm

Yes, but Claire isn't anywhere near as interesting when she's being cloyingly human. Anyway, she's just repeating history. You know it'll end in tears.

I think it should also be pointed out that the Claymores don't refer to themselves as such. It's just a name that ordinary humans have given them.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by stormy001 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:13 am

The reason why I cheer for Claire because she is human, not some machine of destruction. And Raki brings out those qualities in her. That is why I see him as very important character.

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Psike81 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:03 pm

Mappy wrote:

I think it should also be pointed out that the Claymores don't refer to themselves as such. It's just a name that ordinary humans have given them.

They cleared that up quickly with the first ep . No worries there .
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:26 am

Now this gives me hope...
Disgusting...
Last Exile