AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

New Anime Review: El Cazador de la Bruja and Lucky Star

by Mappy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:53 pm

Watched the first episode of both of these. There has to be some irony, somewhere, in the fact that I chose a Bee Train series in El Cazador, because it is Bee Train to a letter. Mysterious girl with almost no personality meets nameless girl with one, add one part conspiracy to two parts everyone trying to kill girls, stir with typical Bee Train BGM and voila.

At least there weren't many slow bits in the first episode. The next ten will probably be a different story altogether, though.

Lucky Star is another series desperately trying to be Azumanga Daioh, though it succeeds somewhat better than other series I've watched, and the opening animation is one of those that'll end up being diced, spliced and gif'd on the chans for the next 12 months....

Madman also makes an inadvertant appearance in the titles, if only for a few seconds.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Psike81 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:28 pm

So how is that any more convincing about needing to watch it ?
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Mappy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:44 pm

Everyone is watching Lucky Star apparently. At least, everyone wants to comment on it atm. Just because it is made by Kyoto Animation (producers of Haruhi Suzumiya and Fumoffu), apparently it has to be absolutely perfect from episode 1, and because it isn't it is the worst thing ever made. Despite the fact that most of the hype surrounding it came from fans to begin with. Makes for much in the way of lols, reading the reviews from all the paranoid sadfans.

And El Cazador might actually buck the usual Bee Train trend and actually be watchable. But I'm not holding my breath. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by stormy001 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:54 am

Lucky Star pacing and humor is bit off despite all the raves it get from the Haruhisque fans. Will watch it little bit more before I decided it is worth to watch.

I got scarred from Madlax and Avenger, not too sure if I want to jump into their latest work.
http://anime-comments.blogspot.com/

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Mappy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:12 pm

El Cazador is certainly patented Bee Train Noirlax genre. But it wasn't really Noir, or Madlax, or even the mind-numbingly awful Avenger that put the Train into my Three Great Satans of anime studios (the other two being Gonzo and Deen). No, that award was given most specifically for the atrocity that was .hack//SIGN, which so many people have, somehow, managed to convince themselves was a deep and meaningful show full of complex characters because they stood around and brooded in silence rather than actually do anything that could be even vaguely regarded as advancing the threadbare plot and/or convincing me that there actually was a personality behind their virtual faces. A 90 minute film stretched out to 26x22 and a half minute episodes.

Erk.... Must switch off Bee Train rant mode.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Madman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:32 pm

i tend to like bee train shows. loved hack roots, madlax etc
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Psike81 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Animes that I've walked out , should've walked out on ...

Hack.//Sign
Kimiga
Last Exile
SDK

I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81