Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

5 Centimeters Per Second

by Mappy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:25 am

Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:14 am

Well it looks like we've definitely got a good movie coming next year. This one is definitely making it onto the playlist, even if I have to kill.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Atory » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:48 am

I've had my eye on this one for a couple of months nows... can't wait until it comes out.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:07 pm

Also remember that Satoshi Kon's film Paprika has hit US cinemas and qualified for the Oscars. That one should be available very soon, making 2 essential viewings.

PS. I'm also willing to kill, White. Especially if it involves Shinji, my dad or Neville Bartos.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:14 am

Pretty much everyone had their eyes on his last film before it was released.... for 18 months. He's slow and exacting, but the final results are worth looking at, even if the plots are somewhat flimsy. (At least he had people helping him with character designs on Beyond the Clouds, something that needed cleaning-up in Hoshi no Koe).
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Beyond the Clouds is still my favourite animated film. Voices of a Distant Star is even good in dub form. But yeah, the character's faces in his first work were kind of skewed.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:49 pm

Last Exile wrote:Beyond the Clouds is still my favourite animated film. Voices of a Distant Star is even good in dub form. But yeah, the character's faces in his first work were kind of skewed.

I dare anybody here to do better by themselves.
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:47 am

Hence why I was glad he'd decided to work with others on Beyond the Clouds.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:26 am

If one had the time and dedication of him, perhaps it'd be possible. But talent like him is rare. I might be going a bit too far but personally I've liked his work a bit more than Miyazaki. I like his style of animation and his subject material more.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:29 am

Whilst his subject material is very similar in most of his projects (lots of emotional drama in sci-fi/alternate reality settings) his backgrounds are quite possibly the best in anime history, even greater than anything Ghibli has put out. The landscapes are so good that 99% of the anime industry should just give up and jump off the nearest building, because their lives no longer have meaning.

I'm glad he's pretty much remained his "own man", rather than being pigeonholed by one of the mainstream studios. *cough*gonzoshaftmadhousebonesdeensunrise *cough*
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:46 am

Mappy wrote:Whilst his subject material is very similar in most of his projects (lots of emotional drama in sci-fi/alternate reality settings) his backgrounds are quite possibly the best in anime history, even greater than anything Ghibli has put out. The landscapes are so good that 99% of the anime industry should just give up and jump off the nearest building, because their lives no longer have meaning.

I'm glad he's pretty much remained his "own man", rather than being pigeonholed by one of the mainstream studios. *cough*gonzoshaftmadhousebonesdeensunrise *cough*

It is true most of them just dab it with such blandless. One of the countless drawbacks of the dreaded 'regular deadline system' so the simple dab and outline system is too prevalent, or using the same frame ever 3 seconds. If you're your own master, you're able to spend as much time as you want to refine it and be as detailed as you want. I could look at those sunsets for hours.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:29 pm

The difference in production values between movies and television series is considerable. If they tried to do this kinda of detail for television you'd only see one episode a month at best and they show would cost a blutig fortune.
Ryan White
AJAS President