Forum Administrators and Moderators

THE SUMMER 2012 THREAD

by Mappy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:46 am

Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: THE SUMMER 2012 THREAD

by Dhumahn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks Mappy, I needed that!! :D

For everyone else, Adelaide time is +30 minutes to the times shown, please check internet for appropriate streaming sites 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:44 am

Mainly interested in Sword Art Online - aka anime's chance to lay claim to the first decent fantasy series since Slayers and reparation for the monstrosity hack//SIGN was. 400k selling light novel and A-1 Pictures doing this gives reasons to be hopeful. And it's the only title that could beat Horizon S2 in sales this season, most likely.

Tari Tari has some promise, but...with P.A. Works, it could go either way. At least Okada isn't here to defile it like she did Hana-Saku Iroha.

Bit interested in Mu-Luv Alternative, but since the adaptation is based off a spinoff and not the proper version, not as hopeful as I'd like to be.

Hopefully Space Bros is still moon.

*takes another look at that chart*

Guardian Enzo is referred to? Decent blogger, one of the saner/more polite people on AnimeSuki. As long as you don't give him an incentive to ram Cross Game down your throat.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:16 am

Holy shi.t, they should call the new Moyashimon "Moeshimon". That's one big character downgrade in the wrong direction. Reminds me of the difference between the Gunslinger Girl series.

Quite apart from the need to reintroduce all the characters from the first series, this is Moyashimon as usual.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Mappy wrote:Holy shi.t, they should call the new Moyashimon "Moeshimon". That's one big character downgrade in the wrong direction. Reminds me of the difference between the Gunslinger Girl series.

Quite apart from the need to reintroduce all the characters from the first series, this is Moyashimon as usual.

Well it's been 4-5 years since the last series, it's also the TV audience not for Moyashimon fans who read the book religiously don't be surprised they do it for the next epsiode like Natsume Yuujinchou remember that anime that reintroduced characters in under 6 months!!!
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:26 am

The designs weren't the only problems.

The conversation between Kei and Hazuki in the latter half kinda dragged a bit too long. There also wasn't that one big gross-out moment that the first season episodes tended to have (or, at the very least, the big punchline that the episode was leading up to).

This was more like an interconnecting episode in a longer series, rather than the big punch first episode of a new series. It's equivalent in 2007 had the whole seal-corpse/Kiviak and microbe identification scenes, which set the tone of the show just right. But I'll wait until further into the show before I'll say they've botched it this time around.

So far, Jinrui looks like the one decent show of the season.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:26 am

Sword Art Online had a decent start. Even with the mandatory info dump, world setting and plot detail, it wasn't boring. Background art was rather nice, character art a lot better than those sub-standard January season adaptations that still sold despite haping below par visuals, music was good, theme at the end was decent. Kirito's social issues should make for some intriguing moments in the future. But seriously hoping Asuna and battles will be happening in Ep2. If it does, a long overdue decent fantasy series may finally be on the cards. Looks like A-1's major title for the year and considering they had 6 series crack 10k last year, I'd be thinking they would be aiming rather high for this one.

According to the fans, Ep1 was a very accurate conversion from VN to anime. If that keeps up and avoids the adaptation issues that shot Fate/Zero in the foot, this could be special.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:21 am

Mappy wrote:The designs weren't the only problems.

The conversation between Kei and Hazuki in the latter half kinda dragged a bit too long. There also wasn't that one big gross-out moment that the first season episodes tended to have (or, at the very least, the big punchline that the episode was leading up to).

This was more like an interconnecting episode in a longer series, rather than the big punch first episode of a new series. It's equivalent in 2007 had the whole seal-corpse/Kiviak and microbe identification scenes, which set the tone of the show just right. But I'll wait until further into the show before I'll say they've botched it this time around.

So far, Jinrui looks like the one decent show of the season.

But it also didn't have 10 important characters straight off the bat which they did gradually introduce in the series like 1-2 per episode comparatively its like having a sailor moon episode with 10 characters fighting off the major bad guys without an introduction where as the first season only had like 2-3 characters which are gradually introduced. That's the problem Sequels you've already established the characters but you miss the introductions you'll end up alienation the audience.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:59 pm

^Even before edited, this didn't make a lot of sense. Would someone care to translate?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Pirate Man wrote:I am very drunk right now and possibly under the influence of a controlled substance.

It is done.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Tari Tari - Pretty but so slow and light and fluffy it made me utterly distracted at the 8 minute mark. It made me find K-ON a lot more watchable in comparison.

Jinrui - Not my kind of humour, didn't laugh once. Which means it should go on the AJAS playlist. Meh, nothing measures up to Minami-ke S1 in the comedy stakes for me these days.

At this rate, Sword Art Online will be my only show for the July season.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:22 am

Last Exile wrote:Jinrui - Not my kind of humour, didn't laugh once. Which means it should go on the AJAS playlist. Meh, nothing measures up to Minami-ke S1 in the comedy stakes for me these days.

Opposite. I liked this, which means it'll never play at AJAS.
Last Exile wrote:At this rate, Sword Art Online will be my only show for the July season.

Why hello, well-produced copypasta of .hack//SIGN, trying to live down its connections to Accel Hurled.
The only question: UTWoots or NyanTaku?
UTW is usually good, but they're paired with Gotwoot on this, who are as reliable as an NSU Ro80. NyanTaku is the second team of EveTaku, which is the highest-rated fansubbing group around atm. With an accent of second team.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:58 am

Actually, I'd say Hatsuyuki.

SAO Episode 3 is stirring up so many overreactionse...Can't people comprehend that the conversion of a non-linear novel to a linear anime is inevitably going to be occassionally confusing? Apparently an episode without Asuna in it is cause of the end of the world! Chuck Norris, can't people settle down and handle the fact that a flashback that is chronologically correct by the way A-1 are adaptating the timeline that occurred over late in Novel 1 and then the end of Novel 3 was rather confusing in the source novel and less confusing now? Or do people need to see Kirito grind MMo style for 40 levels before they can handle a time skip...
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Last Exile wrote:Actually, I'd say Hatsuyuki.

SAO Episode 3 is stirring up so many overreactionse...Can't people comprehend that the conversion of a non-linear novel to a linear anime is inevitably going to be occassionally confusing? Apparently an episode without Asuna in it is cause of the end of the world! Chuck Norris, can't people settle down and handle the fact that a flashback that is chronologically correct by the way A-1 are adaptating the timeline that occurred over late in Novel 1 and then the end of Novel 3 was rather confusing in the source novel and less confusing now? Or do people need to see Kirito grind MMo style for 40 levels before they can handle a time skip...

Well its Kirito's fault for setting up death flags everywhere.

By the way did it explain how Tiger fought off the holy dragon alliance?

P.S. We need more Diamonds.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Pirate Man wrote:Well its Kirito's fault for setting up death flags everywhere.

That's side story extras at the ends of Novels 1 and 3 for you.

By the way did it explain how Tiger fought off the holy dragon alliance?

Simple - One on one duels with one attack only. Why? Because Klein is Klein and would be the protagonist if he had enough charisma points.

P.S. We need more Diamonds.

Ask Nicholas the Renegade.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Soggy SAO is soggy. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Mappy wrote:Soggy SAO is soggy. 8)

*sigh* Mappy, I told you SAO's don't make a good substitute for a t-bag...neither do Oreo's apparently :P
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:54 am

The irony is regardless of whether they went linear progression or the way the novel did it, the reaction around this point would still be fairly adverse. Maybe moreso for the LN version since it's a 74-floor, two year skip. Meh, I have come to expect people are going to nitpick SAO even harder than they did Fate/Zero because SAO doesn't have the flashy distractions F/Z did and has a protagonist that isn't an mürrisch, a giant hahn or a drecksack. Frankly, I see the raging dying down by the time Episode 5 is around. Once people realise how much there is to be detailed, they'll stop whining about characters from an extras section of the novels not having enough impact.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Last Exile wrote:The irony is regardless of whether they went linear progression or the way the novel did it, the reaction around this point would still be fairly adverse. Maybe moreso for the LN version since it's a 74-floor, two year skip. Meh, I have come to expect people are going to nitpick SAO even harder than they did Fate/Zero because SAO doesn't have the flashy distractions F/Z did and has a protagonist that isn't an mürrisch, a giant hahn or a drecksack. Frankly, I see the raging dying down by the time Episode 5 is around. Once people realise how much there is to be detailed, they'll stop whining about characters from an extras section of the novels not having enough impact.

WE will all feel better when Kirito's Bitches all turn into Diamonds.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 am

Should have known the Code Geass: Nunnally in Wonderland special was a freaking picture drama. :lol:

Edit: And as expected, SAO ep4 has swept a wave of happiness and goodwill over the caustic online anime communities. For now.
Disgusting...
Last Exile