AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Comments: Trigun - Badlands Rumble and King of Thorn

by Mappy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Trigun: Badlands Rumble

7/10

Little more than an extended episode of Trigun. If you liked the tv series, you'd probably like this.

In some ways, the returning characters are a little pointless, as they're simply there because you expect them to be (Meryl, Milly and Wolfwood) and they don't really do anything to advance the story. But it is nice to see they've retained all of the old seiyuu in their roles from the tv series.

It is also nice to see they haven't forgotten that Trigun is about absurdly violent gun action, but over the length of the movie, these moments are too few and much of the intervening time is spent with Vash doing his dummkopf routine and trying to chat up the film's resident vengeance-seeking girl, Amelia....

King of Thorn

7/10

With the manga pared down to something that will fit in the space of a 90 minute film, you lose quite a bit around the edges that made the original King of Thorn manga worth reading. What is left is a survival horror anime that spends a great deal of time introducing characters before killing them off, one by one, without really giving you any reason to feel for them. And the explanations for what is happening, and why, are convoluted and difficult to follow.

That said, it is still a lot better than many other contemporary films I can think of....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Comments: Trigun - Badlands Rumble and King of Thorn

by GarryGod » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:36 pm

i watched king of thorns at anime REEL festival and it was rather dissapointing to see the amounts of CG when the monsters appeared and the ending was kinda meh...
i watched trigun and enjoyed it cause its a trigun fans movie you have to enjoy the series to enjoy the movie quiet litterly speaking also wolfwood back is the greatest idea of the whole movie... shame they only play the theme song once in the whole movie at its towards the final showdown not the beginning...
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

Re: Comments: Trigun - Badlands Rumble and King of Thorn

by Mappy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:47 pm

As I said, if you liked the Trigun tv series, you'll like the Trigun movie. Though I'm still wondering why they decided to make the film, all these years later, if it wasn't going to be anything special.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man