AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Japan Media Arts Festival's top 10 Anime

by Hans Stockmann » Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 pm

A bit over 80 000 votes were counted. The top 10 results were:

1. Neon Genesis Der Krieg (TV)
2. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (movie)
3. Laputa: Castle in the Sky (movie)
4. Mobile Suit Gundam (TV)
5. Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (movie)
6. Mushi-Shi (TV)
7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
8. My Neighbor Totoro (movie)
9. Fullmetal Alchemist (TV)
10. Ghost in the Shell (movie)

Source: http://plaza.bunka.go.jp/hundred/bumon_anime.html

While I'm here, I'd like to mention how much I dislike when lists such as these place OVAs, movies and television shows in the same category. When you ask what someone's favourite live action movie is, you're asking about movies, not movies and TV shows. Animated films and television shows should be treated no differently.

Aaaaaand I just remembered that this poll is also about five years old IIRC. Don't you hate it when someone links you something that you could swear you've seen before, but want to post about anyway just to make sure?
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

Re: Japan Media Arts Festival's top 10 Anime

by Last Exile » Wed May 19, 2010 1:14 am

Seconded. Movies and TV series are made under different budgets, schedules, time restraints, staff constraints, etc.

Seeing Mushishi in that top 10 is a nice thought. But #1 just ruins everything.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed May 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Yeah, I'd seen that poll before. It made me determined to watch Mushishi to see what the fuss was about. I now rate that show in my all-time top ten (about #4).

Then again, Azumanga Daioh is also in my top 10. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed May 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Mushishi is also in my top 10. That poll was done a few years back and had Mushishi in 10th. It caused me to track it down. I didn't expect to see GITS in there, but I'm glad, because the 2nd series was a belter. The domination of Miyazaki movies in that poll is not surprising - he outsells anything but 'The War'. And as for #1, I guess it changed a lot of things and got the industry exposure. But has the overall effect been worth it? It almost feels as if not many steps forward have been taken when The War is the one title that gets the big figures while others are content just to get into the 5 figure sales.

And as Hans says - make separate lists for TV and movies. Completely different ballgames, they are. I already make separate lists for the two because it's like trying to compare a bowl of soup from the food halls in Chinatown with an 8 course fine dining meal cooked by Cheong Leuw.
Disgusting...
Last Exile