AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Funimation loses the game

by Last Exile » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:50 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... bund-edits

The North American anime distributor Funimation has issued the following statement to ANN regarding the edits it is making to its release of the Dance in the Vampire Bund anime series:

FUNimation Entertainment is known for releasing the titles we license in their original, uncut form, as their creators intended. However, after viewing the unedited as well as the Japanese broadcast edit of the series Dance in the Vampire Bund, we have determined the series contains controversial elements which, when taken out of context, could be objectionable to some audiences.

With this in mind and with approval of the licensor, we will edit select scenes from the series in streaming and home entertainment release. These are scenes which are inappropriate for U.S. viewing and are not essential to the storyline.

Dance in the Vampire Bund is a complex and dark drama cited by press and fans as one of the best anime series out of Japan this season. Its strong story is what brought the series to our attention and why we are bringing it to the U.S.

Image © Nozomu Tamaki, Media Factory/Vampire Bund Government

Update: When asked if it is editing this month's DVD release of Strike Witches, Funimation reiterated its previous statement that it will release Strike Witches in its uncut form on DVD "and any subsequent subscription or download-to-own digital platforms." Funimation added, "Nothing has changed since then."

Big one.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: Funimation loses the game

by GarryGod » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:16 pm

yeah right! theres so many things wrong with this series its unsuitable for U.S like the fact its SHAFT and its scheiße!
maybe they can change it so that it is? like the original manga? i mean personally i would like to know the changes if its for nudity(which for some reason dos'nt appear in the anime despite AT-X channels reputation to show all!) the first 7 episode's of this series is rubbish! to say the least but from what the new episode's have shown me it could start to follow the manga more respectably...
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:42 pm

After the Christopher Handley ruling, Funimation wouldn't want to go there, Garry. The anime and manga companies in the US are very wary at the moment.

Besides, there is content in there that is....questionable to say the least.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Last Exile wrote:Dance in the Vampire Bund is a complex and dark drama cited by press and fans as one of the best anime series out of Japan this season..

Only the stupid press and fans. Most people think it is unmitigated shite.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 am

And that is why it has been licensed. Most good titles don't sell, unfortunately.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Hans Stockmann » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:08 am

You uncultured hacks just can't appreciate the subtle genius of Akiyuki Shinbo. You likely think Hidamari Sketch wasn't an amazing satire on the industry as a whole as well.
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by Last Exile » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:37 pm

ANN would have you think he is the ultimate alchemist that is saving the world.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:You uncultured hacks just can't appreciate the subtle genius of Akiyuki Shinbo. You likely think Hidamari Sketch wasn't an amazing satire on the industry as a whole as well.

I've just finished watching Hidamari Sketch......did absolutely nothing for me... :zzz:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Last Exile » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:01 am

Dhumahn wrote:
Hans Stockmann wrote:You uncultured hacks just can't appreciate the subtle genius of Akiyuki Shinbo. You likely think Hidamari Sketch wasn't an amazing satire on the industry as a whole as well.

I've just finished watching Hidamari Sketch......did absolutely nothing for me... :zzz:

I think that was his point, Greg. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Hidamari Sketch is watching a pile of kittens playing in a pet shop front window.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by GarryGod » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:14 pm

Hidamari Sketch eh?
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 am

Anyone got a mouse? :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile