Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Central Park Media Dies.....

by Dhumahn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:44 pm

There goes another one....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... bankruptcy

Central Park Media Files for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Liquidation of former distributor of Grave of the Fireflies, Utena, Slayers, Patlabor

"The Crain's New York Business news source reports that the anime and manga distributor Central Park Media (CPM) filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and has closed its doors as of Monday. According to Crain's, the company owes US$1.2 million to creditors. The company has not been active in releasing new titles in the past 12 months.

CPM and its Software Sculptors, U.S. Manga Corps, and Anime 18 labels were once the North American homes of such prominent works as Grave of the Fireflies, Utena, Mobile Police Patlabor, Record of Lodoss War, Slayers, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Project A-Ko, Dominion Tank Police, Descendants of Darkness, Demon City Shinjuku, Urotsukidoji, and La Blue Girl. It later branched out into the book publishing field by releasing Comic Party, Record of Lodoss War, Slayers, Embracing Love, Kizuna, and other titles under the CPM Manga and Be Beautiful Manga imprints. It sponsored the Big Apple Anime Fest earlier this decade.

Companies that file for bankruptcy under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code in the United States will face liquidation — unlike Chapter 11 and 13 bankruptcies which still allow companies to restructure and continue to operate. "

10:1 odds that ADV will be next..... :lol:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Central Park Media Dies.....

by Hans Stockmann » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:54 am

Which means tracking down that damn VOTOMS set will be even harder now. ;_;
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by Dhumahn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:28 pm

"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Hans Stockmann » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 pm

That's not the super sexy set in the aluminium box they did a few years back. Though I guess I'll have to take it. Stupid sexy Chiroco.

EDIT: Holy crap they still have the Zeorymer DVDs in stock.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann

by Dhumahn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:43 pm

You can't tell I buy from a good place 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 am

Hans Stockmann wrote:Holy crap they still have the Zeorymer DVDs in stock.

Don't fool yourself into thinking it is good. I found it shite when it was new. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Fri May 01, 2009 12:49 am

Mappy wrote:
Hans Stockmann wrote:Holy crap they still have the Zeorymer DVDs in stock.

Don't fool yourself into thinking it is good. I found it shite when it was new. 8)

When Mappy goes to those extremes, 99%+ of the time it's usually for your own good.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 am

Well, it was a classic example of why certain titles, back in the late 80's/early 90's, were only OVA series and not tv series. Because they would never have the network/commercial support to make them viable. Thusly: skimping on animation, skimping on writing and skimping on overall quality control. The only thing going for it at the time was that the character designs were by Kikuchi/Asamiya (of Silent Mobius, Compiler and Detonator Orgun fame). Zeorymer was by far the weakest of the productions he was involved with.

Sometime in 1994, commercial arrangements were changed for the studios to get less marketable stuff on tv post-midnight. Thusly the tv anime revival of the mid 90's. Many of those shows shouldn't have been greenlit, either.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Hans Stockmann » Fri May 01, 2009 11:45 pm

I still liked it. I like Asamiya's designs, I liked the mechanical designs, and I liked Toshihiko Seki doing his crazy voice long before a certain 2003 production came along.

Yes, I agree that a lot of 80s OVAs are horrible. I still like the idea of people being able to come up with some stupid ideas and get a heap of money thrown at them for no feasible reason.

Like Dangaioh. Dangaioh was scheiße. Its writing was even worse than Zeorymer's, and it went quite literally nowhere. Its second episode was half recap of the first episode. I still couldn't bring myself to hate that bundle of rubbish. Maybe I'm a sucker for Kawamori mecha. Maybe I'm a sucker for any show with a themesong by Aniki. Maybe I'm just a sucker, but that's still my call.

zu lange nicht gelesen a fool an his money are easily parted.

Incidentally, what were your thoughts on Orgun since you mentioned it?
Hans Stockmann

by Mappy » Sat May 02, 2009 4:39 am

Great for watching whilst drunk. Very easy to take the pi$$ out of.

"Where are you.... Orrrrguuunnnn...." 8)

On the topic of CPM going bust.... Who cares? They haven't really done anything of importance since the 90's. I actually thought they'd already bought the farm....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Hans Stockmann » Sat May 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Well yeah, the afformentioned funky aluminium cased VOTOMS set was pretty much the last thing of note they did. The ridiculous costs of producing such a classy thing certainly didn't help them make a profit.
Hans Stockmann