AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Funimation to Offer Linebarrels of Iron, Strike Witches

by Dhumahn » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:53 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ke-witches

2 TV series to continue North American distributor's alliance with Gonzo

"The North American anime distributor Funimation acquired the rights to release the Linebarrels of Iron science fiction robot anime and Strike Witches minderjährigen mädchen science fiction anime. The two television series are part of Funimation's recently announced strategic alliance to offer current and future titles from the Gonzo anime studio. Linebarrels of Iron is based on Eiichi Shimizu and Tomohiro Shimoguchi 's manga about a boy who pilots a 21-meter-tall robot for a secretive conglomerate. The Strike Witches anime essentially provides a plot rationale for the artwork of Humikane Shimada, an illustrator of mecha-girls whose bodies have been merged with real-life and imaginary machinery and weapons. Strike Witches premiered last July, while Linebarrels of Iron debuted in October. "

I can just hear madman and bazza going over 9000 right now.....
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Funimation to Offer Linebarrels of Iron, Strike Witches

by Bazza » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Dhumahn wrote:minderjährigen mädchen science fiction anime.

HA HA HA OH WOW. Might be one of the few things I'll be buying legit copies of this or next year. :)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Strike Witches was actually good. Though I wouldn't want anyone actually seeing me watch it. Too much pantsu to be socially acceptable. The neuro-typicals would shun me for life. Which won't be a problem for Bazza, Madman and a few other people who hang around these boards, as social acceptability isn't high on their agenda.

Linebarrels is shite. All copies of this in existence could burn, in a series of mysterious fires, and the world would be a much better place for it. What is worse is GONZO uses the failure of this (and other half-a$$ed shows like Ultraviolet.... even Witchblade, to an extent) as proof that trying to make stuff for the western market was a waste of time because nobody in the west supported them for it. Maybe because utter garbage like this isn't what people outside of Japan are watching anime for in the first place.

It doesn't help that GONZO are the masters of turning diamonds into maggot-ridden dungheaps.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Hans Stockmann » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:07 am

If nothing else, you have to give Linebarrels credit for somehow managing to reduce the potent power that is HIRAIFACE(tm).
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice