AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Cease & Desist Letters for Eva: 1.0, Soul Eater Fansubs

by Mappy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:26 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... er-fansubs

Also ordered to stop: Spice + Wolf, Mushi-Uta, My Bride is a Mermaid! fansubs

The North American anime distributor FUNimation has confirmed on Monday that it issued cease-and-desist letters on behalf of its Japanese partners to stop the fan-subtitled distribution of the Der Krieg: 1.0 You (Are) Not Alone, Soul Eater, Spice + Wolf, Mushi-Uta, and My Bride is a Mermaid! projects. According to Funimation, it has "recent authorization agreements with Kadokawa, NTV, Media Factory, and TV Tokyo Medianet" to send these letters. The Nyoron Fansubs group reports that the cease-and-desist letter for the Der Krieg: 1.0 You (Are) Not Alone film was sent on behalf of NTV.

Funimation notes, as it has in past cease-and-desist efforts, "We want to stress that though these series are not yet licensed to a distribution company in the U.S., the rights owned by Japanese producers are still applicable, and enforceable, worldwide. "

Funimation also continued to send out cease-and-desist letters for the D.Gray-man and Katekyo Hitman Reborn! anime, as it has been doing since earlier this year. Funimation announced it had acquired D.Gray-man this past May.

Thank you to jel123, Starks, and Deacon Blues for the news tips.

Update: Kadokawa Pictures USA sent out separate cease-and-desist notices against links to fan-subtitled videos of Spice + Wolf, but not the videos themselves, in June. Thanks, Panda Man.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man