AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Changes that need to be made as of 28th May

by Last Exile » Sat May 28, 2011 1:23 am

The following is a list of things I've noted after speaking to Tim, Barron, Sam and Simeon over the last week:

Front page (ajas.org.au):

1. Upcoming Events page should probably have the 60s night line removed + a playlist for the upcoming 70s nights added at the bottom.
2. Home page currently has an inaccurate regular playlist. Rainbow is no longer playing. Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Seitokai Yakuindomo now are. Those changes to that regular playlist on the home page need to be made.
3. I think we should add a link to the Pulp Fiction website in the 'Links' section. They are actively supporting us, plus it is likely several PFC staff will be coming to the first 70s night. The least we could do is mention them in return to show our gratitude.
4. Some photos of the AJAS crowd would be a good idea for the 'About Us' page as Barron and I both feel it's a page with a lot of text that could do with some visuals. Maybe from the upcoming 70s nights?
5. Previous Poll Winners page could do with some images. Sam and I will find some good ones and send them to Tim. Any advised dimensions for images to be used for that purpose?

AJAS forums:

1. I think the logo generated for the front page, flyers and posters should go onto the forums if possible. Comments I've had from various places are positive about it. Tim, would the dimensions of the one being used on the front page suffice? I have a transparent version without avatars added that I can give you on Tuesday or email to you before then.
2. The random avatar generator could do with some more images, particularly some that have done well in the last 2-3 annual polls. Sam and I have been compiling a list of good ones (Chibi C.C., Chibi Horo, etc.) We'll hand them to Tim once they are done. Tim, what dimensions would images going beside the logo need to be?

Points 1-3 on the Front Page list are probably the most urgent and would only be text fixes, so shouldn't take too long to do hopefully.

Cheers.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: Changes that need to be made as of 28th May

by Morphis » Sun May 29, 2011 5:36 pm

You should be able to attach files to posts in here!

I need to get the image resources for the design for templating, As what is currently there looks like it has been enlarged and is very fuzzy.

Also if possible the font used on in the design, Or I will look for a open licence webfont for the site
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,
Set him on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life. :p
Morphis
Hub Sempai

by Morphis » Sun May 29, 2011 11:09 pm

I have the templating 90% done.
Found a nice open licence webfont for the title tags and buttons.
Have styled the link buttons completly using CSS, No images!. Requires browser support for border-radius and box-shadow.

Currently optimised for Webkit browers such as Safari and Chrome, But should also be fine in current versions of Opera and Firefox.
Check it out at http://ajas.org.au/dev/
Morphis
Hub Sempai

by GarryGod » Mon May 30, 2011 12:17 am

looks so simple and refined presentation with the links good job :respect:
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Mon May 30, 2011 12:50 am

That does look somewhat cleaner than the first version. Thanks for that, Tim. Spoke to Simeon on MSN, he likes the adjustments. I'd presume Sam would also be cool with them.

Couple of issues, though.

The amount of empty space on the front concerns me a bit at present in the adjusted version. Which way would you think would be best to prevent that front page from looking too empty, Tim?

All the button links Simeon created in the first version still need to be used. The Location button has a good map embedded in it and the people I've shown it to find it far easier to understand than the one on the forums. The Links page will be needing links to the Pulp Fiction Comics and AVCON website addresses, And there will need to be a button linking to the forums still. I presume you'd be using them still, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

The logo was generated using this.

The font for 'AJAS' is the same as the one used there, Karate font.

For 'Adelaide Japanese Animation Society', the font was Starcraft.

As for how Simeon got the corresponding kanji, I'll have to ask him about that.

The saved original version that hasn't been altered in size or the like is Image

Speaking of which, during my meeting with AVCON staff today, they said they would like a copy of the logo but at a 40 pixel height. Is there a safe way to create such dimensions without blurring that version of the logo or will a new one have to be generated from scratch?

Had a busy day today, sorry I wasn't able to get to your post earlier tonight. If there's any other things you need, I'll try to provide them ASAP later today.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Morphis » Mon May 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Last Exile wrote:The amount of empty space on the front concerns me a bit at present in the adjusted version. Which way would you think would be best to prevent that front page from looking too empty, Tim?

Spacing (Padding and margins) is very flexible, The template is still a draft so any comment for changes are welcome.

Last Exile wrote:All the button links Simeon created in the first version still need to be used. The Location button has a good map embedded in it and the people I've shown it to find it far easier to understand than the one on the forums. The Links page will be needing links to the Pulp Fiction Comics and AVCON website addresses, And there will need to be a button linking to the forums still. I presume you'd be using them still, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

I had already copied over most of the content from the static site, But we still need alot more content.
I'll recheck to make sure I got everything.

Also here is the logo by its self.
ajas-logo-40px.png

When I get some time, I'll redo the logo with Adobe Illustrator so it will be a scalable vector. But I'll need to get the gradient values or I'll be guessing.

On tuesday I'll setup accounts in WordPress for people that require editing rights.
For the moment go read this http://learn.wordpress.com/get-published/
WordPress is very easy to use, But I'll help anyone who has questions.
Morphis
Hub Sempai

by Last Exile » Mon May 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Tinkering with the button tool on Cooltext, I'd say the size we used was 84.

I think the file was rendered to be transparent on either Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Fireworks. If it's blurring despite that upon resize, I don't know why. Sam was fairly sure if a percentage shift was used that was proportional to the algorithms used for the logo, there wouldn't be much of an issue with blurring.

Logo looks very nice at the 40 pixel height. Would it be possible to get a version with the section with the full name and kanji as well? Once we have that, I'll send it to the AVCON team.

I've got a couple of other things related to AJAS and AVCON I need to have done by tomorrow's meeting, so I might leave further discussion until a bit before the meeting. Thanks for spending time on this, Tim.

Edit: Deadline is coming too fast for that adjusted logo. I'll send a copy to them now. Seems to be fine when trimmed and resized. Managed to get a 50% re-scaling, that should be compliant with display algorithms.
Disgusting...
Last Exile