AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Need help removing spyware

by Last Exile » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:54 am

I don't know how but 2 spyware viruses are on the home computer and can't be deleted. Need to get rid of them somehow before my mother loses her mind or takes it out on me. Any tips, computer buffs? Norton and SpyHunter can identify them but can't delete them.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:54 am

In b4 delete system32.

The last serious bug I had ended in the hard drive being taken back to the stone age (ie. formatted) and everything re-installed from scratch.

You could also try deleting C:\WINDOWS\system32, that might get rid of them. :)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Atory » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:37 am

Lol... I hope you haven't listened to him!

Do a search for Clamwin... It's a free anti-virus that most of us use.

Others just for regular spyware that I use are Ad-aware and Spyware Doctor.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by michu_kitty » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:35 pm

Does anyone what is the purpose of spyware? Is it the same as hackers going into your computer to look at your things e.g. webcam. I just watched a crime show about illegal voyeurism camera recording and it made me so, so paranoid... :? :oops: I use AVG Anti-virus.
michu_kitty

by Atory » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:13 pm

When unsure refer to Wiki (just not on Uni assignments)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

AVG is also another good Anti-Virus, I used to use it before I started using Clamwin.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Tommy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:03 pm

another +1 for ClamWin, Never used AVG, if looking for free virus scanners, also look at Avast! and McAfee® AOL Version (Free with AOL email addy)

Uninstall Norton, that will also solve problems :lol:
Tommy

by Atory » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Uninstalling Norton is a problem in itself... Installing it is worse.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:23 pm

Norton ACTUALLY once let in a virus into my computer. I made it scan my stuff, it denies having the virus in my stuff. Guess who went with zone alarm and avg after that suitation...
IceLee

by Mappy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:43 pm

I use Avast and Ad-Aware. As far as I know, nothing bad has bitten my computer, yet. Apart from Jim, of course.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:09 pm

Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Last Exile » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 pm

I have no idea what's freaking going on aymore. I ran Clamwin for 5 hours and it still didn't finish scanning my drive, it found a virus neither Spyhunter or Norton picked up and norton is picking up new things, the spware/adware is still there and the net on this comp is growing slower and slower Clamwin crashed the computer on top of freezing and taking 3 times longer than the other programs took to scan the same drive. It shouldn't take 5 hours to only partially scan a 10GB drive. It takes 10 minutes for my computer to load up before I can use it, 5 minutes for it to shut down, 2 minutes for the web homepage to load up after connecting and more stuff.

Sorry, not convinced Clamwin has done any good.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by edible_hat » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:48 pm

Clamwin's just a scanner, it doesn't remove anything. Once you've run a scan and know the name, google for that name and you'll get a hit from Spyware Warrior or Gladiator Security Forum or similar which will tell you to boot into safe mode and delete certain files and registry entries. Which ones you delete varies with the particular piece of spyware, of course.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

edible_hat

by IceLee » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:48 pm

Youre using Norton? get rid of it FAST. didnt you read my post before? Norton LET in viruses.
IceLee

by Atory » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:27 pm

Clamwin does take time to scan especially if you have suspicious files however I doubt that its causing your problems. Looks like you've got something pretty bad.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:38 pm

and youre better off erasing everything from the computer.
IceLee

by Madman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:38 pm

You cant get any better than SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY. It will find your problem and delete it. If it doesnt, then your problem is not spyware. The others mentioned range from ok to plain bad. Anti virus programs (the best is AVG antivirus, and its free - if you have nortons, uninstall it immediately) WILL NOT detect spyware and will be useless in your case. So download SPYBOT, update it then run it.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Madman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:46 pm

On another note, if you discover a file that is problematic, and simply cannot be deleted by normal means, DELINVFILE will help you. Be carefull, as DELVINFILE will delete anything, and it will be permanent, so make sure you know what you are deleting first.

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Ryan White » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Don't run more that one anti-virus program at once otherwise they'll conflict with each other. Delete Norton, it's a waste of time, go with one of the free programs. Anti-virus programs don't pick up spyware very well so you will need to install Spybot as well.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Kimosabe » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:45 pm

Just use a windows CE machine. They are impervious to spyware and viruses as they lack the requisite API's for virus xD
=== Jornada 620LX == === ASUS EEE 4G ===
Hitachi SH-3 @ 75MHz Dothan 630 - 900MHz
16MB RAM // 512MB 2GB Kingston 667 RAM
Windows CE v 2.0 8GB Kingston SDHC
HPCFactor Network SP Windows XP Custom
Kimosabe

by edible_hat » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:12 pm

Kimosabe wrote:Just use a windows CE machine. They are impervious to spyware and viruses as they lack the requisite API's for virus xD

also the requisite API's to do anything fun. :D

edible_hat

by (mad) » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:49 pm

or you could run your own custom-built os. that's be fun. maybe i should try that when i have the time...
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:07 pm

Clamwin and Spyhunter combo seems to be working. It located 12 viruses, they're now gone.
Disgusting...
Last Exile