AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Taxes, Group Cert etc.

by Bazza » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:52 am

Ok, serious question time.

My (ex)employer is quite a dodgey chap, and has yet to give me my Group Certificate. I've been holding off doing my tax return until he did, but now that I don't work for him I don't think I'll ever see it.

So what do I do to get the correct tax return? Is there a person I can talk to for free? Workplace Ombudsman? Lawyer? I don't fancy using a tax agency.

:?

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by edible_hat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:01 am

I did my taxes around a week and a half ago, I remember something in the tax pack about statutary declarations if you can't get a group certificate. It also helps if you have payslips.

Of course I'm not a tax accountant, so go ask someone who is 8)
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by (mad) » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:14 am

my friend was complaining that if you have a mac, you have to use virtul pc and windows in order to do it using their software. that's what he gets for using a mac, i guess. though that is still pretty bad
(mad)
180 Proof

by Bazza » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:38 am

So, tried ringing up the Tax Office to see if they could help.

Blahblahblah Press 4.
ladedaladeda press 4.

"All of our operators are currently busy. We expect to answer your call in... ten... minutes."

Not. Happy. Jan. :evil:

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Pirate Man » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:12 pm

Bazza wrote:So, tried ringing up the Tax Office to see if they could help.

Blahblahblah Press 4.
ladedaladeda press 4.

"All of our operators are currently busy. We expect to answer your call in... ten... minutes."

Not. Happy. Jan. :evil:

rofl, its a government department you should know better than expect you call to be answered immediately
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Bazza » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:37 pm

Now I'm wondering; Will filing a statutory declaration get my (ex)boss in the shiz? Let's hope so. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by edible_hat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:07 pm

Well a stat dec is the written equivalent of being under oath in court, so whatever you say in it considered truth (and if it's later found to be not true, you'll be done for perjury).

Easy way to get around most voice recognition systems: swear! A lot of them detect frustration and put you through to a real person.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Kimosabe » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:55 am

Dunno what the story is there but I haven't done tax law and I have no intention of doing it.

I did my tax return the other day. It was a bit sad - I didn't even earn enough to pay tax let alone get any back :(

Can't wait for graduation...
=== Jornada 620LX == === ASUS EEE 4G ===
Hitachi SH-3 @ 75MHz Dothan 630 - 900MHz
16MB RAM // 512MB 2GB Kingston 667 RAM
Windows CE v 2.0 8GB Kingston SDHC
HPCFactor Network SP Windows XP Custom
Kimosabe