AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Hello to everyone

by KittyKat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Hiya folks. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself somewhat. I stumbled across this forum whilst looking for the details of the AJAS anime nite. And so here I am :)
I wonder if I should tell you anything about myself though :P Apart from the info that I am so into all things anime and manga.
KittyKat

by IceLee » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:49 pm

hi fellow new person! although my post meter says im not so new now, I just post alot XD...

anyways, welcome and beware of bazza and madman and their tricks ;)
IceLee

by Madman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:37 pm

hello kikttykat! its all lies....dont listen to them. we are just misunderstood! (thats the story im sticking too).whats yr fav anime?
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Last Exile » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:43 am

Welcome, have fun. Make sure you keep a tazer around for M & B. ;)
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:52 am

Hi there, KK.... Listen to IceLee. They know what they're talking about with Madman and Bazza. Those two will lead you astray if you're not careful.

And with any luck, you'll end up with a postcount like mine. :)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:21 pm

Heh heh... I'm a reliable source of advices...
IceLee

by Bazza » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:30 pm

"Genki des ka, neko-chan?"
8)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by michu_kitty » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:37 pm

Hey KittyKat :)
michu_kitty

by KittyKat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:09 pm

Hehe, I will try to keep my wits about me then :P
My fav anime Madman is....that is always a tough question. There are a few that are on equal pegging. But I will always adore Sailor Moon :roll: I am such a sucker for it. But I do love Kenshin, GTO and Der Krieg too.
KittyKat

by Last Exile » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:30 pm

KittyKat wrote:Hehe, I will try to keep my wits about me then :P
My fav anime Madman is....that is always a tough question. There are a few that are on equal pegging. But I will always adore Sailor Moon :roll: I am such a sucker for it. But I do love Kenshin, GTO and Der Krieg too.

Don't mention the war! ;)

Finally beat Mappy to it. ^^
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:31 am

Der Krieg (aka The War) is kinda a taboo topic in these parts, but don't feel put off. We don't mention it now because we believe that it has had it's fair share of being mentioned for the rest of eternity.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:36 am

I being a dedicated veteran of that war. By the time most people in this country got started, the real war was already over, by a good two years. Ah, '95-'97.... They were good years. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:37 am

I just found that series SO confusing...
IceLee

by Mappy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:44 am

It isn't really confusing. Just keep reminding yourself, as you watch it, that Anno went cold turkey from his Prozac as he was making it. It all becomes clear, then. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:45 am

still the scenes didnt... mesh together.... way too choppy for my liking..
IceLee

by Mappy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:03 am

I'm not a great fan of Anno Hideaki (and Gainax), anyway. Not after the messes both Eva and KareKano turned into. He seemed to spend more time stretching out the budget that he did the plot, animation, music and, well, basically anything else he could get his hands on before his expected mental collapse from a succession of unworkable schedules. There was no way he could have fitted in what ended up in End of Der Krieg into those last two tv episodes, and that was after the network tore up the scripts for the final eight episodes and told them to start again.... /khaaaan

You see, that's called a salvo in "The War". Please do what most people do and ignore it. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:53 am

The series makes sense because it's ultimately simple despite it not wrapping everything up and Anno trying to make it look deeper than it really is. There's only one point in the end.

People don't want to be alone. Affiliation is a natural motivation in all people because being part of a network of friends, social group or having a relationship provides the emotional and kinestheic comfort people need. Because even in End of Der Krieg when Shinji rejected Instrumentality, he couldn't kill Asuka at the end and make himself alone. Because if he was truly alone, he'd have no one to listen to his mürrisch whining, to check out or to get off on (he'd never have the balls to actually do it).

That's all it is. You have to remember - Just before Anno started making Der Krieg, his IRL girlfriend died and on her deathbed she told him "I was gonna dump you anyway. You are completely disgusting." So after that and loading up on bong water and reading a Bible in his hotel room, he got the ideas for the series. Ultimately, Der Krieg is Anno's way of coping with his girlfriend dumping him and frankly, he really doesn't like women after the fact so he's trying to get back at them. Similar in ways Pink Floyd took a swipe back via Pink in The Wall. Der Krieg is simply the ramblings of a man of got owned by a woman and is very bitter about women after the fact. Yet despite all that, he still doesn't want to be alone, because in the end, affiliation is a core need for any human being.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by IceLee » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:56 am

Hmm interesting explaination.
IceLee

by KittyKat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Hehe the War...thats so funny.

I tend to look at anime from an art prospective anyways, since I do collect the artwork. So Eva appeals to me mostly because of the artwork.
KittyKat

by Pirate Man » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:54 pm

Last Exile wrote:The series makes sense because it's ultimately simple despite it not wrapping everything up and Anno trying to make it look deeper than it really is. There's only one point in the end.

People don't want to be alone. Affiliation is a natural motivation in all people because being part of a network of friends, social group or having a relationship provides the emotional and kinestheic comfort people need. Because even in End of Der Krieg when Shinji rejected Instrumentality, he couldn't kill Asuka at the end and make himself alone. Because if he was truly alone, he'd have no one to listen to his mürrisch whining, to check out or to get off on (he'd never have the balls to actually do it).

No one was actually dead, he didnt kill everyone, the whole purpose of the project is to unite everyone into one consicousness and thus everyone is one. Shinji rejected this. Though it doesnt explain this in the movie at all... You have to more or less look for the information on the net.

Last Exile wrote:
That's all it is. You have to remember - Just before Anno started making Der Krieg, his IRL girlfriend died and on her deathbed she told him "I was gonna dump you anyway. You are completely disgusting." So after that and loading up on bong water and reading a Bible in his hotel room, he got the ideas for the series. Ultimately, Der Krieg is Anno's way of coping with his girlfriend dumping him and frankly, he really doesn't like women after the fact so he's trying to get back at them. Similar in ways Pink Floyd took a swipe back via Pink in The Wall. Der Krieg is simply the ramblings of a man of got owned by a woman and is very bitter about women after the fact. Yet despite all that, he still doesn't want to be alone, because in the end, affiliation is a core need for any human being.

Could you give a reference for this? It must be the most obscure piece of information and is scheiße hard to find.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:41 am

1. Jason, are you stoned at the moment? I know what the Instrumentality Project was and all. My point was, after it happened and Shinji rejected it and Asuka appears, he initially tries to strangle her to death but can't see it through. Because if he killed the only other person on his plane of existence, then he would truly be alone and have no one to listen to his mürrisch whining or, heaven forbid, actually give a damn about him. All humans feel affiliation in some way so even the lowest form of humanity, Shinji, would need someone.

2. Mappy aka the living anime Wikipedia.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:46 am

Pirate Man wrote:No one was actually dead, he didnt kill everyone, the whole purpose of the project is to unite everyone into one consicousness and thus everyone is one. Shinji rejected this. Though it doesnt explain this in the movie at all... You have to more or less look for the information on the net.

I understood that from watching the movie (the only part I have watched).
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Ryan White » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:12 pm

STOP MENTIONING THE WAR!!!!! insensitive jerks
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by KittyKat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:42 pm

Ryan White wrote:STOP MENTIONING THE WAR!!!!! insensitive jerks
LOL that is what just went throguh my mind. Sorry for starting it again :P
KittyKat

by Mappy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Ryan White wrote:STOP MENTIONING THE WAR!!!!!

"I mentioned it but I think I got away with it...." 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:43 pm

We are war veterans by now, for sure.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by michu_kitty » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:45 pm

made me feel so emotional reading that *sniffs* :lol:
michu_kitty

by KittyKat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:23 pm

OMG michu-kitty...I love you avatar...those kittens are so cute
KittyKat

by michu_kitty » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:47 am

Tanks, I love cats!!!
michu_kitty

by Mappy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:46 am

Cats are the ultimate lifeform in the evolutionary chain. My cat told me so. And I didn't believe it until she bit off my foot. So it must be true. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Psike81 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:25 am

Its only humans who think cats are dumb because they don't speak English . Otherwise they're probably plotting to overthrow humans with some diabolical plot , ... being cute is only the disguise .
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Last Exile » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:42 am

If you didn't learn anything from what Kami-Neko did to Sakaki in Azumanga Daioh, you'll never learn.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:56 am

Psike81 wrote:Its only humans who think cats are dumb because they don't speak English . Otherwise they're probably plotting to overthrow humans with some diabolical plot , ... being cute is only the disguise .

You can see it in the way they look at you.... Superior and disdainful at your presence. It's not that they can't speak, it's just that they don't see it as being a worthy exercise to speak to something as lowly as a human. It would be like one of us trying to reason with a virus. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:31 pm

Mappy wrote:
Psike81 wrote:Its only humans who think cats are dumb because they don't speak English . Otherwise they're probably plotting to overthrow humans with some diabolical plot , ... being cute is only the disguise .

You can see it in the way they look at you.... Superior and disdainful at your presence. It's not that they can't speak, it's just that they don't see it as being a worthy exercise to speak to something as lowly as a human. It would be like one of us trying to reason with a virus. 8)

it's been done. refer red dwarf epideme episode
(mad)
180 Proof

by edible_hat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:55 pm

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

No wait, you have to pay staff. Cats have slaves.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Psike81 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:56 pm

Dog -> "Im fed , cleaned , sheltered ... they must be God ."

Cat -> "Im fed , cleaned , sheltered ... I must be God ."
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Last Exile » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:22 am

Psike81 wrote:Dog -> "Im fed , cleaned , sheltered ... they must be God ."

Both stupid, shoot them both. Fish are far more interesting and easier to maintain.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:39 am

I don't know about that one. You usually have to go out of your way to kill a dog or cat, fish on the other hand are rather easy to kill. Can't really remember how many goldfish my family has had, and not one deliberate death.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:08 am

(mad) wrote:
Mappy wrote:It would be like one of us trying to reason with a virus. 8)

it's been done. refer red dwarf epideme episode

That's called "having trouble discerning the difference between fanasy and reality". Oh, wait....

Last Exile wrote:
Psike81 wrote:Dog -> "Im fed , cleaned , sheltered ... they must be God ."

Both stupid, shoot them both. Fish are far more interesting and easier to maintain.

Bullocks. Fish are so stupid, they die even when they're being cared for. But at least they aren't rabbits.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:33 am

The only reason to keep rabbits is to make them into food.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:40 am

I've never been one for eating rabbit. Just doesn't taste right to me for some reason.... Which is odd, since I like gamey food, like venison....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by michu_kitty » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:29 pm

But rabbits are sooo cute...!
michu_kitty

by IceLee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:34 pm

yeah theyre cute... until they bite you x.x mum's rabbit bit me on the stomach for no reason, I reached into the cage on the table and was about to fill her food bowl when she ran at me and snap! -_-
IceLee

by michu_kitty » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:38 pm

wow, i didn't know rabbits could be so fierce...!
michu_kitty

by IceLee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:40 pm

they can be! their backlegs can make such a loud thumping noise... and theres the teeth x.x
IceLee

by michu_kitty » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 pm

Did it make you wanna eat the rabbit after it bit you? just kidding, just kidding. I was catching crabs in the water at the beach and it nipped me on the foot, I wanted to catch and eat it so bad.
michu_kitty

by IceLee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:52 pm

heh no, it didnt, i just glared at her as she happily ate the rabbit feed, and was already forgetting she bit me...
IceLee

by (mad) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:30 pm

IceLee wrote:heh no, it didnt, i just glared at her as she happily ate the rabbit feed, and was already forgetting she bit me...

sounds like my cat - whatever nasty things you do to her and no matter how upset she gets with you (occasionally without you doing anything), she wno't remember after 5-10 minutes
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:36 pm

heh cheeky cat then!
IceLee

by (mad) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:46 pm

very much so. the way she acts gives alot of people the urge to be nasty to her, on occasion.
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:52 pm

eep... no wonder she acts like that then.. i find if you feed the cat treats or be nicer to the cat, it'd be nicer back to you
IceLee

by (mad) » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:37 pm

yeah, the problem being that she'll still be cuddly a few minutes after you've been nasty to her, so most people think that she's too lazy or stupid to remember if something nasty has been done to her
(mad)
180 Proof

by KittyKat » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Not really a rabbit person..I think they are weird things.
KittyKat

by (mad) » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:48 pm

yes, but very tasty when cooked properly :D
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:27 pm

-_- @ Mad
IceLee

by (mad) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:44 pm

hey, my sister has been far nastier to my cat than i have. she's the one who came up with the game: upside-down cat
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:45 pm

upside down cat? do I wanna ask?
IceLee

by Ryan White » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:45 am

My uncle once tested to see whether or not a cat always lands on it's paws. Out of 100 throws the cat landed on it's paws 97 times, the remaining three it landed on it's back. The cat never came near him ever again, no surprises there, but we're trying to figure out why it stayed around for the 100 throws.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:40 am

It was an intelligence test. The cats wanted to know whether human beings were really devolved enough to be entertained by throwing a cat 100 times. The surgical tests come next. They're looking for him now, I tells you....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:11 am

Given that he's under six feet of soil in the Loxton Cemetary, the cat's probably going to have a hard time doing that, although the cat is probably dead by now considering how long ago he died.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:48 am

I'm reminded of the guy who tried to use the "your mom" riposte on me in a Dr Who forum a couple of years ago.... He didn't immediately understand when I asked about the brand of shovel he used....

Yes, I think this thread is heading south, now....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:25 pm

IceLee wrote:upside down cat? do I wanna ask?

it's a very simple, cheerful game (for my sister at least)
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:27 pm

-_- poor cat no wonder the cat acted mean at times....
IceLee

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:41 pm

That cat still has nothing on KamiNeko for meanness.

As for cuteness, Neco Coneco. *blush* Just watched some Azumanga Daioh again, oh they are such cuties.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by IceLee » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:44 pm

I have the whole azumanga dvd collection... was going to cosplay as Yomi for avcon this year.
IceLee

by (mad) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:41 pm

IceLee wrote:-_- poor cat no wonder the cat acted mean at times....

actually, she doesn't seem to mind it as much as you'd think. nowadays, she just seems to wait as calmly as possible until you're finished. you have to be reasonably annoying to get her properly annoyed
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:46 pm

egads.
IceLee

by (mad) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:09 pm

then again, occasionally, she's not in the mood for humans or finds certain things really annoying (one the things she hates most is people blowing on her)
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:36 am

My cat just devours people she doesn't like. And those who don't annoy her quite as much she kills anyway and buries in the back yard. Surprisingly, burglars aren't much of a problem anymore....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:32 am

-_- im keeping away from your cat.
IceLee

by Mappy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:44 am

Most people do. :D
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:19 am

i'd probably try to pat it anyway. let's hope i don't lose my arm if i ever get that opportunity.
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:21 am

Ill make sure the paramedics are ready at hand to take mad to hospital if he fails at taming mappy's cat.
IceLee

by (mad) » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:26 am

why would i want to tame his cat? just to be 'friends'...
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 am

you could set it against mappy? ( kidding, mappy! maybe. )
IceLee

by (mad) » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:34 am

there are far better targets than mappy.
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:38 am

such as? :twisted:
IceLee

by (mad) » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:43 am

[size=0]arts students :P (nah, they're alright)[/size] i don't remember, i can never think of people that deserve a mauling when i need to
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 am

heh how about I suggest Bazza? :P *runs*
IceLee