AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Linkin Park return

by Last Exile » Sun May 20, 2007 8:05 pm

I remember several of you have said on different occasions that you liked Linkin Park, so I thought it'd be worth mentioning their 3rd album, Minutes to Midnight, came out a few days ago. I bought it on Friday, if anyone wants to have a listen on Tuesday, let me know.

Little warning though. Producer Rick Rubin really took their intention to change their sound a fair bit but retain the core identity. A few tunes do sound like their first two albums but the majority of it is softer and more refined and the songwriting is more positive. Hands Held High is the best song I've heard in several years.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Madman » Sun May 20, 2007 9:24 pm

nah, the mikaru beam song is much better. and then there is Purpuru Pururin Rin.....
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Wataru » Sun May 20, 2007 10:55 pm

Finally one of my favorite band is back again.
I am sure it is better than Mikuru Beam song :lol:

I heard they change their song style.
"Why is female character in Anime too MOE!?"
Wataru

by Ryan White » Sun May 20, 2007 11:13 pm

Amazing, one of my co-workers has a copy of the album, and he considers it to be awful in comparison to their other albums.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Mon May 21, 2007 7:28 am

It won't be to the taste of all their fans. But they were well aware the 3 minute formula wasn't going to work forever and they didn't want to do it anymore.

I've had 5 full listens now and there isn't one track on Minutes to Midnight I don't like. I only needed about 2 listens to adjust to their new sound. Harder tracks like Given Up and Bleed It Out still reflect their signature while Hands Held High, The Little Things That Give You Away, Shadow Of The Day, Valentine's Day and What I've Done are good indicators of where they're going.

It's the kind of album you have to hear yourself before you can properly make up your mind.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Tommy » Mon May 21, 2007 7:51 am

I'll have to check this one out, been hearing very mixed reviews on it....I did like a lot of their earlier stuff though...
Tommy

by Last Exile » Tue May 22, 2007 12:01 am

This Rolling Stone review sums it up well.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/alb ... o_midnight

I'm surprised RS gave it 4/5 stars considering they're a harsh magazine when it comes to reviews. They used to bash these guys a lot, but I think they get it too. That whole nu-metal/rap-rock genre is gone. Linkin Park aren't. The mürrisch gripes are gone and replaced with legitimate concerns. As a lot of sites and reviews say, they've 'grown up', out of necessity and for their own good.

Got this in my discman all the time, will try to arrive early tomorrow so you guys can hear some.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue May 22, 2007 5:24 am

[lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/1179685865903.jpg[/lightbox]

Damn Emos taking over my Nanohas.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man