AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

They Never Told Me.. Or Should I Have Known?

by michu_kitty » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Man, I've only just started uni and the work load is so much... My brain's about to explode!!! *in Anime style...*
michu_kitty

by Atory » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:44 pm

It only gets worse...

I found the first year of Uni pretty relaxed compared to Yr 12. This year however (2nd year) seems to be comparable to my Yr 12 workload.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by WenWen » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:32 pm

Lolz, yeah... I started first year, and I thought it was bad. The workload seemed soo tough (I still remembered the pains of maths 1 and physics 1). But then when I started second year, first year seemed far easier and more relaxed.
WenWen

by Ryan White » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:36 pm

I had a two hour lecture on Friday that covered finance maths. I know how to do finance maths, why are they rotting my brain with that when I also have to memorize accounting standards?
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:27 am

I think it is also the case that you're a bit more enthusiastic about going to uni, that first year. Once you realize what a pile of dried-up $hit it really is, said enthusiasm evaporates....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by michu_kitty » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Thank goodness for anime...
michu_kitty

by WenWen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Hahahaa, getting a stress relieve every Tuesday evenings...
WenWen

by Atory » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:42 pm

Especially if you've got an assignment due Wednesday morning :wink:
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Psike81 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:56 pm

You'll somehow get magically used to it ... but as usual the following warnings apply ...

1. lack of sleep
2. lack of social life
3. lack of family contact
4. lack of proper nutrition
5. lack of adequate monies
6. lack of competent classmates to be working assignments with
7. excess of backstabbers to be working assignments with
8. excess of coke and iced coffee (or hot coffee) for reason 1
9. excess cases of multiple physical disorders caused by reason 1
10. excess thoughts of suicidal tendencies for reasons 2 to 5

and finally

11. excess development towards mass murders which are prevented by law.
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by WenWen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:01 am

You left one out :P
12. excess of Red Bull/V/Mother (which contributes to #1 and #5)
WenWen

by Mappy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:02 am

WenWen wrote:You left one out :P
12. excess of Red Bull/V/Mother (which contributes to #1 and #5)

How anyone can drink these products of a toxic waste dump, I have no idea.

It doesn't surprise me that they keep people alert and wide awake, because their constituent chemicals are assaulting drinkers' neurons with broken beer bottles.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:50 am

It's simple, Mappy. BECAUSE IT KILLS THEM FASTER.

People know cigarettes, alcohol and energy drinks are bad for them and that's precisely why they take them. So they have less time on this planet. It is part of human nature to destroy oneself.

As for my Uni experiences atm, a 1000 word essay on applying Attribution Theory on the imprisonment of David Hicks at Gitmo for Psychology. Not exactly material I wanna write about for obvious reasons but 30% of the grade is compelling enough to. Australian Politics and the tenets of power and systems - hmm.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by WenWen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Well.. somehow it keeps them awake to study before exams, and get away with just 2-3 hours of sleep. Somehow, it just doesn't work for me. My eyes always wants to sleep but my heart keeps racing. So it doesn't make me feel more awake, it just raises my anxiety levels...
WenWen

by Mappy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Last Exile wrote:As for my Uni experiences atm, a 1000 word essay on applying Attribution Theory on the imprisonment of David Hicks at Gitmo for Psychology. Not exactly material I wanna write about for obvious reasons but 30% of the grade is compelling enough to. Australian Politics and the tenets of power and systems - hmm.

Why do people write uni essays? BECAUSE IT KILLS THEM FASTER.

People know essays, exams and tutorials are bad for them and that's precisely why they do them. So they have less time on this planet. It is part of human nature to destroy oneself.

8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by michu_kitty » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:29 pm

Oh I feel you, relax and have a cup of tea and watch anime
michu_kitty

by Psike81 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:14 pm

Err Im not sure if you notice , but I think 1/2 the AJAS crowd are excluded from the "Uni Student" categorization . Thus as "graduates" ... we're just doing our little part of humanity .

But the lemmings keep coming ; in all their green + purple splendor .

Psike81

by Atory » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:20 am

Isn't 1/2 of AJAS now people who have never been to Uni?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Psike81 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:30 am

All the same , they're not in Uni coz they knew to avoid it for said reasons .

Psike81

by Mappy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:09 am

I was really stupid. I didn't just go to university once. I went twice. The second time knowing exactly what to expect, as a mature-age entry student. I'm the living embodiment of the old line about universities being "sheltered workshops for the intellectually gifted", except for the intellectually gifted bit. 8)

AJAS has always been somewhat aroundabouts in the regions of 50/50 uni students to non-uni students. We've never been too fussy about who shows up, as long as someone shows up. Its much nicer having people around. Seriously. :)

As for the various stimulants consumed during study, I think I overdosed on them when I was at uni.... I now have bad reactions to things with caffeine and the like in them.... a combination of feeling ill and climbing the walls with eyes rolling and mouth foaming. Half a 600ml bottle of Jolt Cola gave me the energy and the increased stupidity, at the end of a hard day at work, to walk home from the city. I lived in Newton, next to Campbelltown at the time.... I try not to drink anything with caffeine in it a good 6 hours before I go to sleep. You just can't doze off, even if you feel exhausted, with your heart trying to beat its way out of your chest. :(
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 pm

Mappy wrote:
Last Exile wrote:As for my Uni experiences atm, a 1000 word essay on applying Attribution Theory on the imprisonment of David Hicks at Gitmo for Psychology. Not exactly material I wanna write about for obvious reasons but 30% of the grade is compelling enough to. Australian Politics and the tenets of power and systems - hmm.

Why do people write uni essays? BECAUSE IT KILLS THEM FASTER.

People know essays, exams and tutorials are bad for them and that's precisely why they do them. So they have less time on this planet. It is part of human nature to destroy oneself.

8)

On the bright side, essays are far easier than a rigorous series of practicals. Now those are murderous.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:35 am

'sif... I love doing practicals! Then again I'm mainly doing programming and design. A lot more fun doing hands on stuff than writing about it.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:40 am

I agree with Atory.... Most of the subjects I picked at uni were usually based on practical assessment and the occasional essay. The thing that really killed me during my time there were subjects in which 50% of your results came through essays and/or exams. I almost always failed exams, even if all my work, up until that stage, was top notch. I just go to pieces in exams.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:48 am

With exam subjects I usually go from a HD before the exam to a C afterward.

PIJ 1 was great, I retained my HD! Practical Exams FTW!!!
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:53 am

Again, snap! All the subjects I got HD's in were practical assessment. As for the exam subjects.... My Psych exam was the biggest failure. From a Distinction to F1 in one easy step.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:23 am

Ouch! My lowest grade has been a P1 so far and that was in a subject without an exam... all the assessments were essays.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:23 am

I'm the reverse. I suck at practicals but always go high on the essays and well on the exams. I honestly don't know why but I just really suck at practicals.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:54 am

Simple... You have no physical skill, you can just bullshit your way through the paperwork (jk).
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Ryan White » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:57 am

Atory wrote:Simple... You have no physical skill, you can just bullshit your way through the paperwork (jk).

This is a very important skill, never lose it once you get it.
I have the amazing ability to score highly on assignments done at literally the last minute or even after the last minute, but I totally suck at exams and as the courses I'm doing are business related, I'm never going to get a practical.
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Atory » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:59 am

I can bullshit through assignments too (but not exams)... that's why I'm procrastinating my current assignment... It literally states there are is no research or references needed!
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Ryan White » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:02 am

Atory wrote:I can bullshit through assignments too (but not exams)... that's why I'm procrastinating my current assignment... It literally states there are is no research or references needed!

Not needed, but I bet you'd score higheer if you can prove any theories or comments you make.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Atory » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:04 am

No... If I try to prove them they'll lower my mark. This assignment is about proving your knowledge, it's marked by experts in the field.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:08 am

I usually referred to the "bullshit" one produces to get through essays and the like as the Art of the Waffle. Even when you could, succinctly, answer and/or describe most of what is set out as the essay topic in a couple of paragraphs (yes, most of my subjects were Arts ones) you're still given a set number of words to write out. So I used my voluminous vocabulary to stretch the things beyond the point that they could, validly, fail me. Even when I was crap at the subject, I passed. I mean, writing a 55000 word essay (including 17 pages worth of references) that never, once, strayed from the topic in question, when the lecturer set a limit of 5000 words.... What else could she do? And it only too me 3 days.

In my scriptwriting course, I wrote 45 pages of an hour-long television script in on night, found that it wasn't entirely working during the read-through the next day, dumped that script and wrote a completely fresh one the next night that did work.

Yes, even then I had no life. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Psike81 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:22 am

Which explains also your enthusiasm to writing fan-killing-cat-girl-massacring-fanfics .

Ah Art ... tacky , sticky , annoying ... just like gum .

Psike81

by michu_kitty » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Mappy wrote: I mean, writing a 55000 word essay (including 17 pages worth of references) that never, once, strayed from the topic in question, when the lecturer set a limit of 5000 words.... What else could she do? And it only too me 3 days.

Wow, I thought writing a 2000 word essay was hard. Good on you, matey.
michu_kitty

by Last Exile » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:06 pm

michu_kitty wrote:
Mappy wrote: I mean, writing a 55000 word essay (including 17 pages worth of references) that never, once, strayed from the topic in question, when the lecturer set a limit of 5000 words.... What else could she do? And it only too me 3 days.

Wow, I thought writing a 2000 word essay was hard. Good on you, matey.

You're meant to stick within the word limit. My year 11 teachers would keep reading but my year 12 English teacher said to me, stay within the world limit and only use 1-2 line quotes, then you will get the marks you want. Next essay he gave me 20 and all the other students photocopied my essay for future reference. My current Psych assignment is 100 words and they've warned nothing will be read beyond it.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:27 pm

I've finished the assignment now... It was a 1500 word limit, mine's just under. I would have done it a lot quicker if I didn't take large breaks... I also managed to complete half a videogame while doing the assignment. :D

It's not due for another 24 hours.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by WenWen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:04 am

It's been a while since I had to write essays, mostly I've done reports. But yeah, the thing is, even though the word count seemed to be quite a lot, I usually end up going over the limit. Then comes the editing part... which can be a pain.
The last thing with a word limit was... My first year Engineering Planning & Design project. It was a group project, with a 20-page limit. Well, my group actually got up to.. 24 pages? And that was like, 2 years ago.
WenWen

by Mappy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:37 am

Last Exile wrote:
Mappy wrote:I mean, writing a 55000 word essay (including 17 pages worth of references) that never, once, strayed from the topic in question, when the lecturer set a limit of 5000 words.... What else could she do? And it only too me 3 days.

You're meant to stick within the word limit.

My lecturer required an attitude adjustment. 11 times the set length was that adjustment. She could find no fault with it.

Forcing students to write within a set limit that is ridiculously small is merely a sign that, as educators they are a) getting the message that keeping one's answers succinct is probably better and b) that they're taking the slackers' attitude to their teaching by lessening their own workload.

I have always hated educators, whether they be school teachers or university lecturers. The irony of this is that I guest lecture on Autism and Asperger Syndrome at Flinders. The upside is that half the students I'm lecturing are, or will be, teachers. Fun times. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:31 am

Like I always tell my brother: "Stay in school & do your homework, or you'll end up like Bazza"

Think uni is hard? Try working without an education. :wink:

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:45 am

When you have to read the work of over a thousand students, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Teachers are damn weird and verging on anal. You have to be a real masochist to be one, not to mentioned already disillusioned.
Disgusting...
Last Exile