AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Casey Stoner gets his first MotoGP win

by Last Exile » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:49 am

Since Mappy and White are also racing fans, thought I'd post this as I just finished watching it live.

Minutes ago, the 21 year old Australian finally got it with the season opener at Qatar. Beautiful tussle from start to finish with Valentino Rossi. Damn, Stoner's bike has awesome straight line speed. This could be a really good season for him.

Been waiting a fair while for him to get this one, good on him.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:56 am

Being one who follows the 4-wheel variety of motorsport far more than the 2-wheel, may I ask a silly question, such as which team Stoner is riding for this year?

Yes, it has been altogether too long waiting for this first win. Then again, Mika Hakkinen didn't win an F1 Grand Prix until the last race in 1997.... The year before he won the world championship and his seventh season in the sport....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Stoner is riding a Ducati, Rossi is still with Yamaha.

It's his first win in the top flight. He won a couple of races in the 125cc and 3 in the 250cc in the season he almost won the title but got pipped by Pedrosa.

That Ducati is just so damn fast on straights. On the first lap Stoner was 5 bike lengths behind Rossi and by the end of pit straight he was over 5 lengths in front. The Yamaha seems to be the best under breaking though. Those two were way in front of everyone else. If that machine holds up, Stoner could make a very serious run for the title.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:19 am

I didn't show much interest in bike racing before Rossi came along, the difference now is that I'm t least willing to watch it. I'm a fan of Rossi, it's hard not to be when he deliberately choose to go with the inferior Yamaha after his deal with Honda was finished. Stoner's win will just make it worth watching even more. Hopefully Yamaha manage to do something about that straight line speed disadvantage.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:19 am

Faster machines always put pressure on the brakes, ergo the Yamaha's brakes were probably coping better after the workout at the end of the straights.

About time Ducati actually had a machine that was championship material. Might make me watch the MotoGP's again. Oh wait.... Rossi's still riding....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:28 pm

Mappy wrote:Faster machines always put pressure on the brakes, ergo the Yamaha's brakes were probably coping better after the workout at the end of the straights.

About time Ducati actually had a machine that was championship material. Might make me watch the MotoGP's again. Oh wait.... Rossi's still riding....

Hayden did beat Rossi last yeah though. Although Hayden had a much better machine.

I started watching the bikes when Mick Doohan was at his prime. He was just awesome. Cool, calculating, 5 championships in a row. Then Rossi blizted the sport and ruled it. His enthusiasm and ability to throw off crappy starts/qualifying and win the race anyway was irresisitible. Rossi could probably learn to drive any machine and become the maestro.

Casey Stoner has the potential to reach that level. He drove with a lot more control and strategy than he was last year and he now has a machine that is good enough. His bike just murdered everyone else on straights. Stoner vs Rossi will be a good rivalry this year hopefully. Good to finally have an Aussie to cheer for again, but you can't help but admire Rossi though. He was the ultimate anti to the wankers who looked like succeeding Doohan.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:24 pm

One of the reasons I stopped watching MotoGP (and the 500ccGP before it) was the mindless predictability that had set in during Doohan's time. Though it was a good thing that Biaggi never won the title in his time. 8)

That predictability continued under Rossi. So watching every second race or so became not watching it at all for me. Cos, you see, I started watching these things when Doohan, Schwantz, Rainey and co were riding, and it was more unpredictable affair as to who would win the title. And I liked it that way.

I almost stopped watching F1 when Schumacher was winning everything for the same reason. Ever since 1984 there was this growing tendency for one team to be miles ahead of everyone else, making title fights a thing of the past if there was a distinct number one/number two driver setup within said team. I mean, you had to drive for McLaren in 1984, 85, 88, 89, 90, 91, 98 and 99 to win, just like you had to drive for Williams in 1986, 87, 92, 93, 96 and 97, Ferrari in 2000-04 and Benetton/Renault in 1994, 95, 05 and 06. And if you were number 1 driver, the title was yours for the taking before the season started. Yay.

It might also help if they reduce the size of the overlarge advertising banners, otherwise known as wings, so there can actually be *gasp* passing during the races. A novel concept for those who run F1 right now, I know....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by michu_kitty » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:20 pm

Yay!!! Casey did it!!!! I've been waiting!!!
michu_kitty