AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Math makes sense

by Seven Of Four » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:57 pm

I'm only an arts student, but I still did a bit of math in my day. Using the fantastic equipment available to me I can't seem to get around not enjoying this. Hit me if this old news, I just get bored and start doing random.

a = b

a2 = ab

a2 - b2 = ab - b2

(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)

a+b = b

a+a = a

2a = a

2 = 1

And with that, everything makes sense now!

Main point asking, how does this make sense? I know in arts 'beer = dinner' but in the realm of math, can such atrocities exist?
Seven Of Four

by mbarron » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:38 am

You've got some horrible errors there, eg. cross multiplication with brackets doesn't condense that way. etc. etc...

And in true UNISA fashion I will leave you to figure out the rest by yourself.

UNISA: Lifelong Forgetting!
mbarron
Site Admin

by Madman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:38 pm

yes, quite clever to the mathematically challenged..sort of like an optical illusion. in fact i was showing this equation to my year 12 classmates 24 years ago to try fool them. sori.
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by stormy001 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Mathematics is symbols of advanced civilization, the more advanced the mathematics, the more significant correlation between these 2.

That's how I see it.
http://anime-comments.blogspot.com/

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Seven Of Four » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:06 pm

mbarron wrote:You've got some horrible errors there, eg. cross multiplication with brackets doesn't condense that way. etc. etc...

And in true UNISA fashion I will leave you to figure out the rest by yourself.

UNISA: Lifelong Forgetting!

This is problem with you UniSA boys... math was never a strong point for you, it's why you go to Super Tafe. :D AU Forever! :P
Seven Of Four

by Last Exile » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:43 pm

I just did my Maths 1B exam today. Taylor Polynomials, L'Hopitals rule, orthognal vectors, linear transformations, partial deriratives, first order equations, Intermediate Value Theorem, First and Second Derirative principles, convergence intervals.

THAT is math.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Madman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:14 am

Last Exile wrote:I just did my Maths 1B exam today. Taylor Polynomials, L'Hopitals rule, orthognal vectors, linear transformations, partial deriratives, first order equations, Intermediate Value Theorem, First and Second Derirative principles, convergence intervals.

THAT is math.

just a pity none of it teaches you how to live in the real world
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by stormy001 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:18 am

woah, pretty hard statement, Madman.
http://anime-comments.blogspot.com/

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by mbarron » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:29 am

This one time at Math Camp, I stick a flute in my differential equation!
mbarron
Site Admin

by Last Exile » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:34 am

He just doesn't want to admit maths is used in just about anything in everyday life even if you don't know it to be.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:37 am

Seven Of Four wrote:This is problem with you UniSA boys... math was never a strong point for you, it's why you go to Super Tafe. :D AU Forever! :P

Umm, it seems that math isn't your strong point either. You used (a-b) in your proof when you had already established that a=b. Therefore (a-b)=0 and as you can't times by 0 and therefore can't use it in your proof, you fail.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Seven Of Four » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:27 pm

Ryan White wrote:
Seven Of Four wrote:This is problem with you UniSA boys... math was never a strong point for you, it's why you go to Super Tafe. :D AU Forever! :P

Umm, it seems that math isn't your strong point either. You used (a-b) in your proof when you had already established that a=b. Therefore (a-b)=0 and as you can't times by 0 and therefore can't use it in your proof, you fail.

That took a while for anyone to provide an answer... I'm still saying it aint your strong :P For me... I do arts!

"Would you like fries with your spam sir?"

:D
Seven Of Four