AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Wouldn't it be great if Dating Sims were this way?

by kiddtic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:55 pm

So I recently hired LA Noire from my local library just to see what all the hype was about. If you recall about a couple of weeks ago (maybe more) I was asking about dating sims/visual novels, how they work and what kind I would like. I like the idea of progressing through a story based on the decisions you make. Having multiple routes and multiple endings is also very intriguing to me. The closest thing I have ever played to incorparate this is Dragon Age I'm yet to beat that but my workmate has multiple times and we often talk about how different the game becomes based on even the slightest of choice changes you make.

I really think a dating sim with the technology behind LA Noire would be exceptional, this is all wishful thinking ofcourse but with a niche like galge which is only big in Japan it needs to lose some things and gain others in order to gain a wider audience. Losing the text is one thing, I would enjoy a datim sim that had good voice acting behind it there are plenty of modern voice actors that would do a good job on those. Im fine with reading but not everyone is and besides giving a voice to these characters would make them more 3 dimensional.

Real time facial animation is another.I was amazed at how well this was done in LA Noire they finally managed to get rid of "the uncanny valley" the facial animation was spot on. With dating sims wouldnt it be easier? I mean its not that complicated to make an anime-esque face move, theres no cheeks, wrinkles and sometimes nose movements to worry about.

I guess the closest game I can look forward to that might be similar to what I wish for would be Catherine, just have to wait and see huh.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

Re: Wouldn't it be great if Dating Sims were this way?

by Last Exile » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:38 pm

You made 2 threads of this. ;) Might want to delete the other one.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:00 pm

LA NOIRE is more like a detective/interrogation game similar to ace attorney series with GTA elements the work that Team Bondi in Sydney did for facial recognition is really good and somewhat freakishly realistic...
as for the text well that's when the balance between a eroge and a visual novel come into play you can have your raunchy fun with eroge's or in-depth storytelling and dialouge... most visual novels tend to blur this line and mix both eroge and VN characteristic's which is totally if your up for it... i for one have trouble concentrating on a screen as the wall after wall flood the screen with words! my care for it also diminish when i have to pay attention when i get to a flag moment and I've realized I've been holding CTRL for about 5 minute's to skip the blah blah blah!
or you could just indulge in dirty eroge fun like i do... its up to you...
the part about moving animation in VN's is up to its budget where most upscale VN's have movements more then cheaper one's...
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Sufferes » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 pm

There is one big difference between Rockstar and the average Dating Sim/VN creators: Money. Dosh. Simoleans. Call it what you like, but Rockstar have waaaaay more staff and budget at their disposal to buy the equipment necessary and to pay the animators, artists, VA's, authors, programmers, and so on. VN staff are literally a handful of people, with Higurashi and Umineko being created by, what, two people? They're just using what technology they can, VNScript or another such program, and a few sprites. Any kind of amazing text can be written by just one person (albeit usually slowly), but voice acting (especially good, meaningful acting) takes more than just a guy typing at his computer (Text is also easier to translate, better for us monolinguists 8) )

However!

One day the technology could be easily accessible, and utilised by anyone. Our gaming consoles, and even our mobile phones, have more processing power these days (and many more uses) than the computers used in the moon landing. And that was just 50 years ago. With the constant advances in technology, Imagine what the future holds! Photo-realism? Holograms? Stimulation beyond just sight and sound? Androids? Who knows! And hey, it's Japan, so they're bound to push the envelope in this area one way or another :P (If they aren't already)
I'm the Moustache Maaaaaan!
Sufferes

by kiddtic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 pm

So the biggest hurdle is money pretty much. Well hopefully that changes soon because that genre has so much potential. For example the appeal of Mass Effect to a lot of my friends and specifically to me is the decisions and conversations. All that shooting is getting in the way of an awesome story but thats just me hating on shooters. Anyway its not like a game based entirely on choices would be a flop is the point im trying to make.

I wish one bold creator goes Makoto Shinkai and actually animates his VN ( would it even be called that?) and probably does the voice acting on his own.

Localisation woukd upgrade the audio by giving it a decent dub and a better marketing push.

someday, someday.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Sufferes » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:49 am

So a "choose your own adventure" anime? :)
Sufferes

by kiddtic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Sufferes wrote:So a "choose your own adventure" anime? :)

Yeah exactly, what more could an otaku want than starring in his very own anime. Dont tell me the prospect doesnt appeal to you?
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Last Exile » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:12 pm

kiddtic wrote:
Sufferes wrote:So a "choose your own adventure" anime? :)

Yeah exactly, what more could an otaku want than starring in his very own anime. Dont tell me the prospect doesnt appeal to you?

It's called Welcome to the NHK.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:44 am

Wouldn't It be great if a Dating Sim was made and you rape a young girl with 3 dimensional textures and realistic facial dimensions or a young girl begging to have sex with you realistically. I mean there is nothing wrong with after all there is nothing wrong with the AFP or the FBI banging down your door as well.

Have you really read or thought about what you written realistically. It sounds good on paper but sit back and think a bit will ya?
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by kiddtic » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am

Are you joking or what coz I fail to see cons of having a properly animated and voiced girl ask to please me :)
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by GarryGod » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:06 am

Cause pirateman= troll
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Pirate Man » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:41 am

kiddtic wrote:Are you joking or what coz I fail to see cons of having a properly animated and voiced girl ask to please me :)

No matter the age?

GarryGod wrote:Cause pirateman= troll

Of course I'm a troll BUT that's true isn't it.

Let's go for an excellent example. You date an minor who realistically shows interest in you then yadayadayada.
After all that you have implied sex or approach married hood and using realistic expression is pleased/feared. Any how in the end of the game what is to differentiate between a real life underage minor from a video game one? Especially if it's quite realistic. There's 6 billion idiots in the world less than 1% cannot differentiate between reality and fiction and you propose a dating sim? Crazy.

Any how gonna go and play GAL GUN my Jap Xbcx haz arrived
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Sufferes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Why does it have to be a young girl? It's totally all about women who are older than you :P
Sufferes