Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

The Unofficial AVCon 2008 Discussion Thread

by Mappy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:23 pm

The Unofficial AVCon 2008 Discussion Thread

Which gets off to a bad start because of this:

http://www.avcon.org.au/site wrote:Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.37 Server at http://www.avcon.org.au Port 80

Are they doing work on the website, or is it just down through the travails of fail?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: The Unofficial AVCon 2008 Discussion Thread

by IceLee » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 pm

must be a crash because it was working about a hour or more ago!
IceLee

by Ryan White » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 pm

I blame the people on the AVCon commitee that don't let Barron do what he needs to do in order to keep their site running smoothly.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:19 am

They're back up, now.

I wanted to see if there were any responses in the forum to my posts in the thread about the "anime festival" at the Mercury Theatre. Only one person seems to give Appleseed Ex Machina and Vexille the thumbs up (sk1), and excuse me if I don't look upon them as being, possibly, old enough to hold a valid opinion. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:12 am

They better be doing maintainance on their server, because I'm not even getting an 500 Error message, now.

Firefox wrote:Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at http://www.avcon.org.au.

:(

Later:

http://www.avcon.org.au/forum wrote:General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect information in file: './avconorg_phpbb/phpbb_config.frm' [1033]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

:(
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:42 pm

The official timetable is up:

http://www.avcon.org.au/schedule/schedule2008.jpg

Man, if it wasn't for the vendor's hall, I would not be attending this year.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Mappy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Holy Farking Shite.

That schedule is just awful. Just blutig awful. Even worse than I expected it to be. Apparently the best shows of the last year, that don't fit in with the space opera theme, are Shugo Chara, Kamichama Karin, Minami-ke, Vampire Knight, Zombie Loan, Naruto Shippuden and The Garden of Sinners.

All these shows have their merits, but better than Rebuild of Der Krieg? Code Geass R2? Kurenai? Wolf and Spice? xxx-HOLiC Kei? Kaiba? Real Drive Sennou Chousashitsu? Mononoke? Slayers Revolution? Birdy the Mighty Decode? Allison and Lillia? Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei I & II? Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (or even the original)? Baccano? Soul Eater? Shigofumi? True Tears? Telepathy Shoujo Ran? Toshokan Sensou? Bamboo Blade? Genshiken II? Clannad? Golgo 13? School Days? The Daughter of Twenty Faces? ef - a tale of memories? Druaga no To? Someday's Dreamers II? Mnemosyne? Shakugan no Shana II? Shion no Ou? Aria the Origination? Sketchbok - full color'S? Vampire Knight? Kite Liberator? Myself; Yourself? H2O - Footprints in the Sand? Moyashimon? Ghost Hound? Mai tome S.ifr? Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations? Ikkitousen Great Guardians? Potemayo? Zettai Karen Children? Kimikiss - Pure Rouge? Chocolate Underground? Hatenkou Yuugi? Amatsuki? Nabari no Ou? Wagaya no Oinari-sama? Itazura no Kiss? Persona - Trinity Soul? Mushiuta? Blassreiter? Mokke? Kyouran Kazoku Nikki? Rosario to Vampire? Kanokon? Tokyo Marble Chocolate? Ayakashi? Crystal Blaze? Strait Jacket? Monochrome Factor? Umisho? Sisters of Wellber? Sky Girls? Night Wizard? Kaiji? Special A? To Heart 2 ad? Da Capo II? Zero no Tsukaima I, II & III? Ah My Goddess - Fighting Wings? Rental Magica? Candy Boy? Blue Drop? Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro? Suteki Tantei Labyrinth? Hero Tales? Doujin Work? They Are My Noble Masters? Yumedamaya Kidan? Moonlight Mile? Shigurui? Aquarion the Movie? You're Under Arrest - Full Throttle? Code-E? Beat to Death Angel Dokuro-chan II? Prism Ark? Piano no Mori? Nasu: Suitcase no Wataridori? Miyori no Mori? Kodomo no Jikan? Moetan? Dragonaut the Resonance? Nanatsuiro Drops? Chi's Sweet Home, even?

That's just a small list of what you won't be seeing at AVCon 2008. Released in only this past year. I'm not saying all of these shows are good, or even showable at AVCon. But it would be a nice starting point to work with.

Vent over. Back to the same old same old.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:25 am

Mappy, next year suggest that list, apparently no one was forthcoming in their suggestions, someone else gave them a list of animes to look at after seeing the time table and they were all dude, youre too late, its gone to print you shouldve suggested them sooner, so yeah... (and that is why im volunteering this year! because Im going to be mainly there for the quiz night and the vendors) also note how they made a mistake- look at the first 3 shows saturday morning in pulp fiction cinema, then, first three in rennie cinema on sunday morning..... as the avcon volunteers coordinator and I said last night when going through the time table, "GAH!". hopefully NEXT year will be better!
IceLee

by Atory » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:22 am

I guess it looks like I'm going to try to volunteer to be the anime coordinator next year after all. I can't let this continue.

No Code Geass? WTF?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:31 am

thats why Im thinking of being an avcon committee member or staff next year or year after... whenever I can get a position/role, atory so at least we can make sure they do a better job!

Plus I'm still waiting on the notes I was meant to get last night for today's workshop and so far I have not gotten any! :| looks like im not going to be able to understand anything from anyone again today, lovely!
IceLee

by Mappy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:07 pm

IceLee wrote:Mappy, next year suggest that list, apparently no one was forthcoming in their suggestions, someone else gave them a list of animes to look at after seeing the time table and they were all dude, youre too late, its gone to print you shouldve suggested them sooner, so yeah...

It might have helped if people got the impression that their suggestions were actually wanted. I've had almost nothing to do with anything AVCon in the past 12 months (and, subsequently, missed the call for suggestions), simply because I've been happier keeping a distance from it, as it has seemed to be a veritable can of political and personal-issue worms. This pretty much inspires me to volunteer for something, now. And I never volunteer for anything.

When I showed the schedule to Jim, he just shook his head and started talking about doing something else on the AVCon weekend. Like staying home and saving the $$$ for a trip to Manifest.

IceLee wrote:also note how they made a mistake- look at the first 3 shows saturday morning in pulp fiction cinema, then, first three in rennie cinema on sunday morning..... as the avcon volunteers coordinator and I said last night when going through the time table

Is that a mistake? I got the horrible impression they were intending to play those shows on both days. Also: note the absence of the Quiz Night on the schedule. One of the main events they've run since the very first AVCon, and they've forgotten to include it on the schedule.... :?

Atory wrote:I guess it looks like I'm going to try to volunteer to be the anime coordinator next year after all. I can't let this continue.

You might be fighting me for that role, at this rate....

Atory wrote:No Code Geass? WTF?

Yes, indeed. Seriously WTF!
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Mappy wrote:

Is that a mistake? I got the horrible impression they were intending to play those shows on both days. Also: note the absence of the Quiz Night on the schedule. One of the main events they've run since the very first AVCon, and they've forgotten to include it on the schedule.... :?

Yes, according to the volunteer co-ord it was a mistake, but who really knows. And according to another staff, they couldnt confirm any bookings for the room where the quiz night will be held until the last minute.
IceLee

by Mappy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:55 pm

IceLee wrote:
Mappy wrote:Is that a mistake? I got the horrible impression they were intending to play those shows on both days. Also: note the absence of the Quiz Night on the schedule. One of the main events they've run since the very first AVCon, and they've forgotten to include it on the schedule.... :?

Yes, according to the volunteer co-ord it was a mistake, but who really knows.

I notice it is a mistake they haven't fixed on the website, yet.
I'm now wondering what horrors are hiding behind that mistake. :?

IceLee wrote:And according to another staff, they couldnt confirm any bookings for the room where the quiz night will be held until the last minute.

Well that's just fine and dandy. Looks like the University (or whomsoever they're booking all these rooms from) is, once more, doing its best to screw up aspects of AVCon. :?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Mappy wrote:
Well that's just fine and dandy. Looks like the University (or whomsoever they're booking all these rooms from) is, once more, doing its best to screw up aspects of AVCon. :?

Thats what I think happened... because I was hearing things about the uni not being very helpful with the avcon organizing this year, and that was why it took so long for the committee to announce when we would have avcon and where. besides if you do volunteer next year we can make an impact on avcon for the better as I told Atory, that we can make it better by volunteering or becoming a staff or committee member and do something about it.
IceLee

by Dhumahn » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Ok, here's something different....

TRANSREALITY SIMULATIONS IS COMING TO AVCON THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

now, let's see what quality items I'll be buying this time. /khaaaan

hehe, my power just went over 9000!! 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:45 pm

You mean QUALITY items. 8)

Nice to see you're looking excited about adding to your collection of things that'll see you getting V& if anyone knew. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Well, unless they legalised it (which in that case is fine too). 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Ryan White » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Dhumahn wrote:Well, unless they legalised it (which in that case is fine too). 8)

Watch out for those flying pigs.
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Dhumahn » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:19 pm

oink, oink, oink...

mmmm......flying food.....get my bow and arrow!!!
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Rasberry » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:48 am

Dhumahn wrote:Ok, here's something different....

TRANSREALITY SIMULATIONS IS COMING TO AVCON THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

now, let's see what quality items I'll be buying this time. /khaaaan

hehe, my power just went over 9000!! 8)

Then again i thought we lost you for a minute today, i mean you failed to buy that dating sim magazine in shin tokyo with the free figure....... Don't worry Ras took the opportunity to grab a copy and is now enjoying the enlightenment it is showing me!

oh yeah and another figure to add to my collection!
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by Mappy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:33 am

Dhumahn wrote:Well, unless they legalised it (which in that case is fine too). 8)

Since when did we start talking about cats? 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:55 pm

IceLee wrote:besides if you do volunteer next year we can make an impact on avcon for the better as I told Atory, that we can make it better by volunteering or becoming a staff or committee member and do something about it.

I've been saying that to myself since I first volunteered. Seems like wishful thinking now.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:34 pm

well it can happen if more of us from unisaga or ajas join as volunteers or staff etcera, and have a stronger voice in what we have to say that way...
IceLee

by edible_hat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:42 pm

It all started going downhill when they started themeing it. I suggest they do away with the whole theme thing or at least reduce it's presence to the level it was the year it was RPG themed... (i.e. to the level that most people aren't aware there's a theme going on)

Methinks their organise-o-mat is broken.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Atory » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:58 pm

Having a theme is nice... but most they choose are too restricted.

RPG > Pirates VS Ninjas >> Space Opera >>> Rock
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 pm

I thought it was RPG>Pirates VS Ninjas>> Rock>>> Space Opera, Atory?

I liked the vs theme- gives more interaction between strangers and staff alike.... But that's me.
IceLee

by Last Exile » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:19 pm

So AvCon has degenerated from good status to noob status to scrub status. :lol: Why am I not surprised?!

And if what I've been hearing is true, don't be surprised if the vendors have a surprise in store if the shambles continues. :wink:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Do tell (PM me if you have to). I'm all ears!! 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:44 pm

I already did. :wink: You'll figure it out.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 pm

What?? Are they going to pull sponsorship or something??
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Rasberry » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Dhumahn wrote:What?? Are they going to pull sponsorship or something??

siren did sponsor Manifest :P
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by Dhumahn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 pm

Yes, but their table was empty, remember?? :wink:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Rasberry » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:13 am

they still got advertising... such as on the programme
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by Bazza » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:27 am

Does that mean AVCON is on right now or starts next weekend?

I've made my feelings on AVCON known before, but for those of you who missed it:

Bazza wrote:"Ive got better things to do with my time than be smushed around by a huge collection of smelly, obnoxious, non-powerlevel-supressing narutards and horrible cosplayers.

I'm like Oguie-san, except I don't cave and go anyway.

If it was more like Akibahabara and less a Narutard convention I might reconsider. But until they have a crossplay maid cafe I'm not going to bother. :hmm:

There, I talked about AVCON. Happy now?

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:43 am

Atory wrote:
IceLee wrote:besides if you do volunteer next year we can make an impact on avcon for the better as I told Atory, that we can make it better by volunteering or becoming a staff or committee member and do something about it.

I've been saying that to myself since I first volunteered. Seems like wishful thinking now.

Barron did his best to make last-minute alterations to the playlist. It doesn't seem to have had much effect.
IceLee wrote:well it can happen if more of us from unisaga or ajas join as volunteers or staff etcera, and have a stronger voice in what we have to say that way...

There is a kind of antipathy that has built up within AVCon to anime.
SectorX4 wrote:You go to a convention for anime? I remember when I used to do that, now I just go for the social aspect (After party, etc)

I don't know if being a part of this will make a difference. I'd always thought of an anime convention as a showcase of new and interesting product, in other words, it was a convention for anime, but there seems to be a prevailing view that that doesn't really matter that much, and that, as a small convention, AVCon should stick to niche attractions, such as the theming, and leave the premiere convention screenings to other, larger conventions, such as those in Melbourne and Sydney. It's a form of misguided provincialism....
edible_hat wrote:It all started going downhill when they started themeing it. I suggest they do away with the whole theme thing or at least reduce it's presence to the level it was the year it was RPG themed... (i.e. to the level that most people aren't aware there's a theme going on)

The themes have only really worked when there was some proactive element to it, ie Pirates vs Ninjas. The kind of thing that attendees could actively become a part of.
Atory wrote:Having a theme is nice... but most they choose are too restricted.
RPG > Pirates VS Ninjas >> Space Opera >>> Rock

IceLee wrote:I thought it was RPG>Pirates VS Ninjas>> Rock>>> Space Opera, Atory?
I liked the vs theme- gives more interaction between strangers and staff alike.... But that's me.

RPG > Pirates v Ninjas should> Space Opera but is likely< Rock Show.
I'm willing to believe otherwise if things are, indeed, awesome. I lived in hope last year, and was disappointed. I live in hope this year.... 8)
Last Exile wrote:So AvCon has degenerated from good status to noob status to scrub status. :lol: Why am I not surprised?!

So I take it you're not attending? 8)
Last Exile wrote:And if what I've been hearing is true, don't be surprised if the vendors have a surprise in store if the shambles continues. :wink:

There are stories going around of vendors and sponsors being told by anonymous individuals, pretending to be a part of AVCon, that it is falling apart and might not be running this year, let alone the next.
I don't know if this is true or not....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:51 am

Bazza wrote:Does that mean AVCON is on right now or starts next weekend?

I've made my feelings on AVCON known before, but for those of you who missed it:

Bazza wrote:"Ive got better things to do with my time than be smushed around by a huge collection of smelly, obnoxious, non-powerlevel-supressing narutards and horrible cosplayers.

I'm like Oguie-san, except I don't cave and go anyway.

If it was more like Akibahabara and less a Narutard convention I might reconsider. But until they have a crossplay maid cafe I'm not going to bother. :hmm:

There, I talked about AVCON. Happy now?

That just proves that AVCon is the most awesome thing ever. Second is the Toyota Prius.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

edible_hat

by Mappy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 am

Bazza wrote:There, I talked about AVCON. Happy now?

No. We want to know why you haven't organised AVCon's Crossplay Maid Cafe, yet.
Don't answer that. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:51 am

Mappy wrote: There are stories going around of vendors and sponsors being told by anonymous individuals, pretending to be a part of AVCon, that it is falling apart and might not be running this year, let alone the next.
I don't know if this is true or not....

If that is true, then thats digusting someone could be so low to do that to the convention, no matter how bad the avcon had been in the past years, they didnt deserve people lying to those vendors and sponsors about the convention! If I do find someone doing extactly that, they will personally recieve a kiss from madame fist. That thing alone (those scumbags who would do something that low) makes me quite angry because I know a few of the staff are working so hard right now and theyre stressing so much that its not funny.
IceLee

by Mappy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Well, it is something I've heard through the grapevine, and it piddles me off, as well. As much as I whine and complain about AVCon, they deserve to be given half a chance to do things without this kind of.... I dunno.... sabotage, I think you'd call it?

But then, considering the class of newbies AVCon attracted last year, probably unsurprising. Not unusual, though. Anime and videogames, especially anime, do tend to attract a fairly.... eccentric (as kind a word as I can think of), personality-wise, form of geekdom. 4chan would be nowhere without them.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:59 pm

I'd call it sabotage. of the low class variety. Those people from last year may not be attending avcon this year because I dont think the theme is mürrisch friendly this year :lol:
IceLee

by Atory » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Mappy wrote:

Don't answer that. 8)

Atory's been lazy and hasn't made the outfits... yet :lol:
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:21 pm

what, for the cafe or for the cosplay? bad atory, bad. :lol:
IceLee

by Dhumahn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:16 pm

Mappy wrote:

Don't answer that. 8)

I lol'd

It would be interesting if there was one though, imagine the number of people who get thrown out of Avcon for sexual harrassment.... 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:02 pm

A crossplay maid cafe would certainly give a nasty surprise to some, like the freak from last year who was taking photographs up girls' skirts.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:12 pm

someone was doing that, Mappy!?! good thing I wear jeans more often than skirts. Oh btw get this, an dummkopf asked this in avcon- "Hypothetically, say if I were traumatized by a not-so-visually-arousing/pleasant-cosplayer. Would I be able to have compensation?"

Oh man, he expects to be paid for someone, like say, a man cosplaying as a female character, say, mitchell in digi charat cosplay? hahahahahaaaa....... ahem.... yeah apparently he does.
IceLee

by Atory » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

IceLee wrote:...mitchell in digi charat cosplay?

I still demand compensation from him for the eye surgery. :lol:
Love how you called it cosplay and not crossplay!

MachV is going to make it to AVCon this year after all. For a while he wasn't sure. I wonder how disturbing he'll be this year?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm

well I would normally say crossplay but with his rosy cheeks and long hair... and if he had completely shaved all his beard off, he MIGHT just pass as a female... oh and put tons of make up on him while were at it. I think Funkybeatyo was more scarier according to the photos of both I have seen.

wait, wait MachV was the chocobo guy from a couple of years or so ago?
IceLee

by Atory » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:03 pm

I thought FBY's crossplay was just pathetic. Yep, THAT's MachV.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:31 pm

....... Damn. I hope I dont see the horrors this year.... :lol:

Edit: Shame Barron's on his ski trip- avcon crashed.
IceLee

by Dhumahn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:31 pm

I think that it was a good thing I decided not to cosplay this year, although next year.....be afriad, be very afraid, hahahahaha!!!! :twisted:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:34 pm

............... Is it ok if I beat Dhumahn up before next year's avcon? :whistling: Joking, Dhumahn!
IceLee

by Dhumahn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:42 pm

Remember Candice, Avcon09 is still more than a year away, so anything can happen. Hell, I could get killed for far less before then. 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 pm

Yeah.... I was teasing really :lol: just.... dont be too disturbing ok?
IceLee

by Atory » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:51 pm

Dhumahn wrote:I think that it was a good thing I decided not to cosplay this year, although next year.....be afriad, be very afraid, hahahahaha!!!! :twisted:

Cosplaying the character I suggested? Or are you going to be more creative?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Dhumahn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:04 pm

Well, I was going to do the trap character from Shion No Ou, but decided not to for now.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Atory » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:57 pm

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Yet more LOLs.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:03 pm

I told you they crashed, atory!!!
IceLee

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Mappy wrote:A crossplay maid cafe would certainly give a nasty surprise to some, like the freak from last year who was taking photographs up girls' skirts.... 8)

LOL, did they catch the skirt man yet? It has to be the same guy who is taking picture up women's skirt in the shopping centres.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 am

Atory wrote:
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Yet more LOLs.

What, again? Good thing whomsoever is in charge of the website both doesn't quite know what they're doing and make it difficult for anyone else to work on. And no, it isn't Barron. 8)

7.30am, and they're back up, again. 8)

Pirate Man wrote:
Mappy wrote:A crossplay maid cafe would certainly give a nasty surprise to some, like the freak from last year who was taking photographs up girls' skirts.... 8)

LOL, did they catch the skirt man yet? It has to be the same guy who is taking picture up women's skirt in the shopping centres.

Heh, you know, I really wish I knew.... I mean, I'd love to know how they handled it if they caught him. There was so much shite going down at last year's AVCon they hadn't really had to handle, before.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:52 am

I'm the only one who wants to see Greg in a skirt?

There's must be something wrong with all yous. Greg is a smexy piece of not-so-man meat. 8)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 am

Bazza wrote:I'm the only one who wants to see Greg in a skirt?

Probably, yes. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:20 am

Mappy wrote:
Atory wrote:
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Yet more LOLs.

What, again? Good thing whomsoever is in charge of the website both doesn't quite know what they're doing and make it difficult for anyone else to work on. And no, it isn't Barron. 8)

7.30am, and they're back up, again. 8)

They should learn to alter the forum boards after the AVCON not a week beforehand.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Atory » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:13 am

Mappy wrote:What, again? Good thing whomsoever is in charge of the website both doesn't quite know what they're doing and make it difficult for anyone else to work on. And no, it isn't Barron. 8)

Now you understand what I had to deal with last year. I'm glad I'm not in Barron's position though. When will Grant just let Barron do the technical stuff?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:51 am

well Grant cant get Barron right now, Atory, Barron is away on a skiing trip, we dont want to disturb Barron from falling face first into snow, now do we?
IceLee

by Dhumahn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:52 am

Bazza wrote:I'm the only one who wants to see Greg in a skirt?

There's must be something wrong with all yous. Greg is a smexy piece of not-so-man meat. 8)

*shakes head*

You my friend, are a very sad, sad little man.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Pirate Man wrote:They should learn to alter the forum boards after the AVCON not a week beforehand.

Atory wrote:Now you understand what I had to deal with last year. I'm glad I'm not in Barron's position though. When will Grant just let Barron do the technical stuff?

If I were a more cynical man, I'd say that part of the problem, behind the scenes of AVCon, is the number of people who treat their roles as a kind of personal fiefdom, and rigidly guard them from outside attack. Of course, you can't just have anyone putting in their two cents when it comes to each committee position. Can you imagine the shambles that would turn into? But really, this whole thing is a non-profit event, not some career-advancing item to pen in on your cv. When someone obviously knows more about what you should be doing, it is time to give them the opportunity to make you look good. This past week, so close in the lead-up to the event, the AVCon website has not been a pretty picture.... And nor has the schedule, from an organisational point of view, rather than mere choice of items.

Of course, I'm saying this as a complete outsider. 8)

IceLee wrote:well Grant cant get Barron right now, Atory, Barron is away on a skiing trip, we dont want to disturb Barron from falling face first into snow, now do we?

Come on.... We know Barron only went to that for the beer and the girls. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Snow bunnies are hot. Of course he'd go. :wink:

As for your guesses...nope. My words in that post said everything.

And Greg, don't wear what's in that final box of Shuffle. :x
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:06 am

Last Exile wrote:And Greg, don't wear what's in that final box of Shuffle. :x

Well, I won't have it until late October at the earliest anyway, so that little piece of horror is still a fair bit away.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Atory » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:32 am

IceLee wrote:well Grant cant get Barron right now, Atory, Barron is away on a skiing trip, we dont want to disturb Barron from falling face first into snow, now do we?

This dates back way before Barron's ski trip. The disagreements between those two were going on back when I did the website in 2007 and I suspect it was going on much earlier than that. The website last year was only completed because Barron and Mitchell contacted me and took the coordination out of Grant's hands. Although he has done some great things for AVCon, especially in regards to volunteer coordinating, Grant doesn't seem to want to take others advice or help. However, he somehow keeps moving upward in AVCon, and the day he becomes convener is the day I stop attending. I think the ski trip will do wonders for Barron. A chance to get away from it all.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 am

Dhumahn wrote:
Last Exile wrote:And Greg, don't wear what's in that final box of Shuffle. :x

Well, I won't have it until late October at the earliest anyway, so that little piece of horror is still a fair bit away.

Bazza is waiting with baited breath.... 8)

Atory wrote:Although he has done some great things for AVCon, especially in regards to volunteer coordinating, Grant doesn't seem to want to take others advice or help.

This seems to be a running theme with anyone involved with the organising of AVCon. Those who go out of their way to volunteer end up just being fobbed off or worse, with little to no acknowledgment of their contribution. At least, this is what I've found after talking to a number of people. It is what has lead to the seeming general antipathy toward AVCon by those who should be their dedicated target audience....

This is why I never volunteer, for anything. If I'm asked, however....

Atory wrote:However, he somehow keeps moving upward in AVCon, and the day he becomes convener is the day I stop attending.

I think things might mitigate against AVCon, itself, before this happens.

Atory wrote:I think the ski trip will do wonders for Barron. A chance to get away from it all.

He was certainly showing signs of that, last night, with his alcohol-inspired mass-smsing. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:58 am

Mappy wrote:Bazza is waiting with baited breath.... 8)

You know me all too well.

Let's hope Greg shaves his legs, at least. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by IceLee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:10 am

Hmm.... I thought Grant was vice convenor now? :?
IceLee

by Dhumahn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 am

Bazza wrote:
Mappy wrote:Bazza is waiting with baited breath.... 8)

You know me all too well.

Let's hope Greg shaves his legs, at least. 8)

You just want to get b& again, don't you??
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:23 am

Dhumahn wrote:You just want to get b& again, don't you??

It's an ambition all Anonymous strive for. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:41 am

AVCon's down. again.
IceLee

by Atory » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:48 am

IceLee wrote:Hmm.... I thought Grant was vice convenor now? :?

Hence, why I'm still willing to attend.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:50 am

Ah... well not many vice convenors become convenors as it seems... or wed have a female convenor already
IceLee

by Atory » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:21 am

AVCon wrote:Forum issues

Lately you may have found a few problems accessing the AVcon forum, usually along the lines of " ERROR 1033 (HY000): Incorrect information in file: ./avconorg_phpbb/....."

This seems to have been caused by our hosts migration to MySQL 5 which has caused the database to claim it was corrupted then come good then claim it was corrupted. I have since re-created the table schema for the forum (which is the only important DB effected) and moved the data over so it should now be solved. If evidence suggests a hardware issue on the host I will immediately move the forum to alternative hosting.

Lastly why it decided to effect the forum and the gallery but not the 5 other MySQL databases (including the one driving the website) is a bit strange but im guessing it's in the details of how the records were stored.

zu lange nicht gelesen version: The forum was broke for a couple of hours but should now be fixed permenantly. If not I have arrangments in place for alternative hosting, fear not.

The grammar nazi in me is cringing...

Anyway, back to the conversation at hand. I can't possibly think who would be a good candidate for convener next year...
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:25 am

If I werent deaf I MIGHT try for the convenor position, but alas..... I'd be damn hard to be understood and all :lol:
IceLee

by Mappy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:42 am

AVCon wrote:The forum was broke for a couple of hours but should now be fixed permenantly. If not I have arrangments in place for alternative hosting, fear not.

And so, I visited the forum....
AVCon Forum wrote:General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect information in file: './avconorg_forum/phpbb_config.frm' [1033]

I almost fell out of my seat, laughing, this time....
Not having Barron there is starting to show. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:50 pm

Hmm, this is turning out to be one stinking pile of merde this year, isn't it??
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:06 pm

It's back up. Again. But for how long? 8)
It'll probably stay up, now, just to spite me. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Mappy wrote:It's back up. Again. But for how long? 8)
It'll probably stay up, now, just to spite me. 8)

3 hours and counting...

edible_hat

by Mappy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 am

SectorX4 wrote:After much fighting with MySQL and PhpBB I have had to revert the changes I was planning tonight.

The forum will more then likely generate the [1033] SQL errors for what seems to be a few hours every day or so until I have a chance after AVCon to fix it for good.

Sorry about the downtime, was all for nothing!

Yup, they're really missing Barron. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:32 am

Mappy wrote:
SectorX4 wrote:After much fighting with MySQL and PhpBB I have had to revert the changes I was planning tonight.

The forum will more then likely generate the [1033] SQL errors for what seems to be a few hours every day or so until I have a chance after AVCon to fix it for good.

But its nothing like our beloved 4chan damn site got DDOS again.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by asurin » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:50 am

Mappy wrote:

Damn that is funny.
Nice to know that the site will be up over the weekend.... :whistling: (Is what the Admin is doing about it)
Purveyor of live action Japanese TV shows.
asurin

by Mappy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:30 am

Pirate Man wrote:But its nothing like our beloved 4chan damn site got DDOS again.

Or, as Moot put it....
Moot wrote:The site is still down due to an ongoing DDoS attack.
Remember kids: DDoS is cruise control for cool.
UPDATE: Well, we're still down. Unfortunately, there is very little (read: nothing) that can be done about a 3-5Gbit DDoS attack.

Anyways....
asurin wrote:Damn that is funny.
Nice to know that the site will be up over the weekend.... :whistling: (Is what the Admin is doing about it)

Feel the ADMIN SKILLZ, oozing from every SQL Error. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: The Unofficial 4chan DDoS Discussion Thread

by Bazza » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:59 am

Who would do a 3-5Gbit DDoS?

Wouldn't that cost a lot of money in terms of the data they steal?

Or is it a case of 4chan getting a taste of its own medicine in the form of hundreds of small fish all nibbling at its servers at once, Hal Turner style?

But still, pissing, ocean of piss, etc. DdoS'ing a bunch of DDoS'ing internet hackers on steroids doesn't really strike me as being terribly intelligent. It's only a matter of time until the offenders' name, phone number and home address are stickied to the front of /b/. :roll:

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Ryan White » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:12 pm

Stop talking about 4chan in a thread about AVCon. One subject of mockery at a time please.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Rasberry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 am

http://www.shintokyo.com.au/storewide_sale_2008.htm

shin tokyo announces

COME INTO THE SHOP THIS WEEKEND TO
ENJOY EXTRA DISCOUNTS ON EVERYTHING!*

i think it is what we were talking about in AJAS on tuesday?
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by IceLee » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:24 am

oh man... 5 30 am does come too early..... especially when one has been waking up almost every two hours.... I think I better invest in a coffee I.V and all... just for avcon.
IceLee

by Mappy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:33 am

Rasberry wrote:http://www.shintokyo.com.au/storewide_sale_2008.htm
shin tokyo announces
COME INTO THE SHOP THIS WEEKEND TO
ENJOY EXTRA DISCOUNTS ON EVERYTHING!*
i think it is what we were talking about in AJAS on tuesday?

Shin Tokyo did this last year, and it was a success for them. So why shouldn't they do it this year? It belies the purpose of a convention, to have to sell items at full price within the convention grounds because they can't do it at a discount for various reasons. The difference is, they might not be the only ones doing this.

IceLee wrote:oh man... 5 30 am does come too early..... especially when one has been waking up almost every two hours.... I think I better invest in a coffee I.V and all... just for avcon.

Oh yes.... The insanity starts today. :D It would be nice to get a report from you on how things panned out. :)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:18 pm

*staggers* first day today.... and oh man..... so many emotions today! mostly pain and tiredness.... I am so happy to be home right now and have slippers on! even though my feet is still hurting :/

ok starting off, I arrived in town at 8 45am, having heard that the avcon stall will be in rundle mall from 9 am til 9 pm..... youd think people would be setting it up by then i.e tables wise... no... no one was there except for me and another volunteer. I wished the other volunteer well and set off for uni, lugging my heavy suitcase along. arrived there about 5, 10 minutes before 9, no one was present except for grant and two other people who was talking in carpark ahead opposite the mayo cafe. Mark came around a bit after 9, but didnt get to do anything until debbie the registration co-ord arrived, and then my morning was spent looking after bags, boxes, bags and what not whilst everyone came in and out, lugging boxes and stuff into the uni etc. afternoon was spent bagging the little info papers and the merch. that had been ordered previously for people who already had pre booked their tickets. there was a bit of a drama with the merch, as there were not enough small sized hoodies, we had some reserved for sales so took some from there but then the large hoodies reserved for pre orders ran out! one person will have only one large sized hoodie not two large sized hoodies.Then there was my staff shirt fiasco Part I. I had checked my shirt size as 16, womens, as I had same brand, same size but long sleeved shirt.... my shirt, instead of size 16 it looked like it was really, really size 14. We frowned, then said we'll get me a mens shirt later on so got my hoodie early in the day.

Much later on, I had a bit of a meltdown almost before the start of the launch because by then I was tired, bit fed up and feeling unappreciated because I had done some things for some staff, when no one had really saved me a mens tshirt in either large or xlarge as they knew the shirt sizing was odd, and yeah they had plently of large and just only one xLarge but it turned out that the large size, while it was fine for upper body, it was too tight on my stomach and hips. So yeah, I had to walk away, because I was feeling quite upset by then as I thought " if I dont have that tshirt, no one would recoginize me or even appreciate me as a volunteer/staff" bit silly I know but that was one of the thoughts that went through my mind that moment. MUCH later Dave texted me to ask me to come back to the rumors cafe area where the shirts were because he wanted me to try on Large size again but turns out they found another xl tshirt under the pile of the offical staff ones! I was a bit pissed off again about it because if they had looked properly the meltdown wouldnt have happened!

so yeah quite tired, and very sore, already looking forwards to my lovely warm bed with its electric blanket to help soothe the soreness away and to drink a nice cool glass of coke- hungry jacks gave me (via dave) diet coke not normal coke... but that coke issue wasnt much of a big deal as I knew I had coke at home anyway :lol: So that was friday for you!
IceLee

by Atory » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Surprisingly I found most things well organized. Got there in the late morning and stuffed all the bags with my trusty production line... many of whom were the same people that did it last year. Helped shinTokyo unload and move their stock, set up the registration area, and much more.

Found out later that one of the bags that was meant to have 3 L hoodies actually had 2 S and 1 XL, that's why we were short on small ones.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:51 am

ah, that would certainly explain why we couldnt find any more smalls after a short while, rei (the one from perth) and I was reading the same orders at same time so we didnt make any mistakes, double checking and all and I was thinking "how on earth did we run out of the small order so fast?!" because the majority of hoodie sizes we handled were medium and large... but doesnt explain how we couldnt have one more large hoodie from the stock for the girl who ordered two large hoodies.... I think she will be kicking a fuss today if shes picking them up today and not picked up last night.

You know, the saddest thing yesterday? I was wearing a black long sleeved tshirt in.... size 16! so when I looked at the size 16 tshirt for staff and volunteers, I felt rather fat :cry: :lol: but yeah definetly wasnt a size 16 because the measurements for hips etc was about 1, 2 cm smaller than both my size 16 long sleeved tshirts- thats why I hate clothes shopping most of the time because I could be in a wonderful size i.e 16 one minute, but then blow out to size 20 the next minute, which also was why I was feeling a bit upset yesterday because it seemed everyone was able to fit into their tshirts fine and then there was me struggling to have a tshirt that *would* fit and not give people too much nightmares.

Ok this is 5 51am on the morning of day two, I'm awake, obiviously, but in quite a bit of pain in the shoulders, elbow joints, knees, hips and back area.... wonderful! when I went to bed, I was in alot more pain though, and it really hurt to toss and turn that night.... as it took me awhile to get to sleep and then only woke up *once* for a change compared to the night before but man, it was so hard to get out of bed this morning. Report of day two to follow.
IceLee

by Atory » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:22 am

I shouldn't have had that free red bull yesterday. Didn't get any proper sleep. I know from last year to order a L sized t-shirt.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:05 pm

day two's done and dusted with, ending the day and the night with a migrane... lovely. at least I will have a little bit of a sleep in (by a hour or so)! will write properly about the morning sometime after tomorrow.
IceLee

by Last Exile » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:07 am

So was Day 1 a plus or minus? If no one's saying anything yet, I get the feeling it's the latter. I knew staying home and watching the Crows beat Sydney was a better option. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:57 am

My opinion of Saturday:

Great organisation. Pity about the content.

Everything at AVCon seems, from an outsiders point of view, to be running much more smoothly, this year. Under Mitchell as Convener, everything was disorganised chaos, and the result was both the events and schedule were plagued with issues. This year, if there have been any problems, things are fixed fairly quickly and they move on. On the flipside, though, I was rather bored at the events I attended. The Game Show was quite dull. I mean, Greg pulled out an Advertiser and started reading it in the middle of it. By that stage it had already run 30 minutes overtime and they were dropping rounds trying to get it over and done with. Myself, Greg, Blake, Ryan and Tim all decided to ditch it before the conclusion. The Quiz also dragged on. Blake was looking not too good during it, and the amount of noise and blah made things difficult to follow. We did ace some questions others failed to get (it was Canta Per Me from Noir, beatches, it isn't that hard) but in the end the people who won the Quiz last year won it this year. It probably helps if you hang around the people who create the questions for most of the year, I suppose. I didn't watch any anime, because there was so little worth watching. And a lot of it is being repeated today, for no better reason than they can.

At least I got 8 manga for $50 from the Pulp Fiction stand, thus filling some gaps in my collection.

I went with the impression that I would be somewhat bored by the events, and I was. It is just a pity they seem to be putting in so much more effort to make things run smoothly alongside this.

Oh, and Barron has broken an arm. In six places.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:53 pm

I scored a set of 3 Last Exile Bobble Heads for $29 (were $75 for 2 years) and a Haruhi Suzumiya 1/8 Figure for $35 just before the sale. And a good thing I got them then. Friday decided to try to inflame the beginnnings of a coldm I went into emergency mode to keep it from developing. Saturday I had the bottom of my spine go berserk to the point walking was near impossible, so I stayed chairbound. Today I feel good and very pleased I made the purchases then because all the other Haruhi figures were bought. ^^
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by blakus88 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Mappy wrote:Blake was looking not too good during it

He either forgot to mention I was hungover or didn't care. After having gotten to know Mappy somewhat for a bit under a year, most likely the latter (he's basically the Michelangelo of indifference) although he did seem quite amused by how my head had a visible swimming look every time I took a bite out of my lunch.
blakus88

by Atory » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:04 pm

This year's AVCon was a huge success from my perspective. I went in thinking the worst and I guess that's why I enjoyed it, even though I was a slave most of the time I was there.

Saturday I got there early as I was on first registration shift. I always wanted to know what the first shift was like. It was very hectic but the teamwork was awesome and it went really smoothly (Debbie does a great job as that coordinator). After my shift I had only half an hour or less before my next one so I rushed up to the vendors to check out the manga. I managed to get 8 for $50 from Pulp Fiction before my next shift started. My second shift was the Videogame Development Panel room duty. I was a bit disappointed that it was actually all design and no development, but they had pretty pictures. On to my next break, finally an hour free, time to shop! Bought 16 more manga for $150 from Pulp Fiction and filled in some gaps with 4 more from Madman for $10 each. My last shift for Saturday was back on registration, I was trusted with the machine this time and almost did 2 shifts instead of one but had to rush off to Cosplay Chess. The Chess was a bit unorganized as I don't think the staff in charge knew how to play the game. I was the white side king's rook. The first game I didn't move as it was over very quickly with white the victor. Second game, however, I progressed around the whole board taking out about 5 or 6 pieces with my noose before taking myself out with it. Game ending in stalemate. After chess I headed straight home as I knew I wouldn't enjoy quiz night.

Sunday I slept in but was still ached all over. Jason gave my sister and myself a lift in and I canceled our late shifts for that day because my sister needed to get home at a reasonable time. First I went into shinTokyo and picked up 2 volumes of the US Version Gothic & minderjährigen mädchen Bible with 35% off. I got to the convention grounds just in time for our only shift that day at vendors where I purchase 10 more manga for $50. I also got a couple of badges when my sister was stocking up. Jason gave us a lift back to my place just as the cosplay competition was starting. I didn't have the energy to watch it.

Totals: 38 Manga, 2 Magazines, 2 Badges

Manga: ARCANA 9, Berserk 1-4, Bizenghast 5, Black Cat 1-3, 5-7, 10-11, DearS 5-7, Eureka Seven 1-6, King of Thorn 2-4, Le Chevalier d'Eon 1, 5, Mushishi 1, 4, Princess Ai: Rumors from the Other Side, Remote 4 , 7-8, Someday's Dreamers Spellbound 4-5, Tenjho Tenge 15-16.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Dhumahn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Well, I've counted up all of my "goods" that I bought this year, and I only spent roughly $680.

I love QUALITY :whistling:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by ~shinigami~ » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:30 am

Atory wrote:First I went into shinTokyo and picked up 2 volumes of the US Version Gothic & minderjährigen mädchen Bible with 35% off.

Goddamnit, I knew I forgot to do something today. I'll have go and buy that without the 35% off. (TAT)
~shinigami~

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:55 am

Atory wrote:This year's AVCon was a huge success from my perspective. I went in thinking the worst and I guess that's why I enjoyed it, even though I was a slave most of the time I was there.

Agreed, the focus was pretty much getting the AVCON up and running which they should of practiced past years. Content was lacking, housekeeping was especially lacking. Since they are the main ones being the rolemodels they should actually do a little bit of housekeeping like pick up the rubbish, move tables out of the way so the volunteers know the standards.

Atory wrote:
Saturday I got there early as I was on first registration shift. I always wanted to know what the first shift was like. It was very hectic but the teamwork was awesome and it went really smoothly (Debbie does a great job as that coordinator). After my shift I had only half an hour or less before my next one so I rushed up to the vendors to check out the manga.

LOL, it would be a piece of piss for those who work in retail :).

Atory wrote:
I managed to get 8 for $50 from Pulp Fiction before my next shift started. My second shift was the Videogame Development Panel room duty. I was a bit disappointed that it was actually all design and no development, but they had pretty pictures. On to my next break, finally an hour free, time to shop! Bought 16 more manga for $150 from Pulp Fiction and filled in some gaps with 4 more from Madman for $10 each. My last shift for Saturday was back on registration, I was trusted with the machine this time and almost did 2 shifts instead of one but had to rush off to Cosplay Chess. The Chess was a bit unorganized as I don't think the staff in charge knew how to play the game. I was the white side king's rook. The first game I didn't move as it was over very quickly with white the victor. Second game, however, I progressed around the whole board taking out about 5 or 6 pieces with my noose before taking myself out with it. Game ending in stalemate. After chess I headed straight home as I knew I wouldn't enjoy quiz night.

TO be honest if the design is shithouse in a videogame then it already had failed :(.

IN MY DAYS WE NEVER HAD THIS THING CALLED THE GEN7 CONSOLES, WE HAD TO AMUSED OURSELVES WITH SIMPLE GAMES LIKE LU"DO SNAKES AND LADDERS AND PONG.

Quiz night, always always take the DS or the PSP MP3 playa.

Atory wrote:
Sunday I slept in but was still ached all over. Jason gave my sister and myself a lift in and I canceled our late shifts for that day because my sister needed to get home at a reasonable time. First I went into shinTokyo and picked up 2 volumes of the US Version Gothic & minderjährigen mädchen Bible with 35% off. I got to the convention grounds just in time for our only shift that day at vendors where I purchase 10 more manga for $50. I also got a couple of badges when my sister was stocking up. Jason gave us a lift back to my place just as the cosplay competition was starting. I didn't have the energy to watch it.

Talked to too many old school people in the end, cosplay always too popular and forgot my camera :(

Mario Strikers Charged $36
Forbidden Siren $20
WOW figure $26

Kinda disappointed that nothing was there.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Ryan White » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Mappy and I waited over an hour to get into the cosplay, letting Tim sneak into the line halfway through.
As per usual, the best part of the convention was the afterparty.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by IceLee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Speaking of the after party, mappy, did you get your meal eventually?
IceLee

by Ryan White » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Mappy's meal arrived over an hour after he'd ordered. About 20 minutes after you and Dave left and they gave Mappy a free drink but still an Epic Fail on the part of PJs.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by IceLee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:32 pm

his meal... WHAT?! :shock: he should have been getting refunds for it aswell as one lousy free drink! was it cooked ok or not at that? when my meal finally arrived oh... 20, 30 minutes after we ordered, my chips was cold and SO salty! needless to say, I was not impressed with their service at all, especially with the food as the chef has plenty of time to send our meals as we PRE ORDERED it early in the day! *headdesks* and the other tables that ordered the same thing we ordered, after we confirmed our orders at the bar, got their meals before us. :| Im not kidding, we was seriously considering going up to the bar again after having asked them where was our meals, to demand a refund and go and eat elsewhere where we wouldve been getting prompt service when our meals finally arrived. I was feeling rather like Gordon Ramsay by then, criticizing the meal and whatnot! ( I did get a free drink but that was thanks to the drinks ticket grant gave me, and ill give them a good mark for their white russian cocktail). I most likely will not come back to that pub again unless its for drinks only and not for its food.
IceLee

by Bazza » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:48 pm

While I, on the other hand, enjoyed the finest chook n' chips the city of Adelaide has to offer prepared in under 5 minutes and hand-delivered to my houseby me; and all I had to do to get it was not attend AVCON . 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:24 am

Well, it's good to hear at least the administrative and running of AvCon has been sorted out. That's half the fight. But can't they run the Quiz Night properly for once? Or at least provide a set of questions that doesn't slide completely in favour of the affiliates of the head honchos?

If content is now the issue, then some people at the top need to swallow their pride and do either or both of the following:

1. Admit their stance(s) on content were wrong/too specifc to their close circle and be more open-minded/more accessible with what they provide.
2. Put people in those positions that actually have proper knowledge of their role/position!

Overall, sounds like Dutchy moved things back in the right direction, which is good to hear.

PS. Enjoy the cold Sunday Night? :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:17 am

blakus88 wrote:
Mappy wrote:Blake was looking not too good during it

He either forgot to mention I was hungover or didn't care. After having gotten to know Mappy somewhat for a bit under a year, most likely the latter (he's basically the Michelangelo of indifference) although he did seem quite amused by how my head had a visible swimming look every time I took a bite out of my lunch.

It was a good thing there was no AVCon on Monday, or I would've been doing the same thing. 8)
It just seemed, to me, that every time I turned to look at you, you seemed on the verge of keeling over. And believe me, when you were eating lunch, it looked like every mouthful was bringing on a migraine. I was wondering if you were going to make it to the end of the day....

I also prefer to say "naturally lazy" rather than "indifferent". 8)

IceLee wrote:Speaking of the after party, mappy, did you get your meal eventually?

As Ryan did say, over an hour after I ordered it and twenty minutes after you left. And only after I continually badgered every waiter or waitress that was going around the table. And they had actually forgotten the order, because they double-checked what it was that I had ordered (the stew). It was nice and hot when it arrived, but it felt strange being the only one eating at that point. I'd imbibed a glass and a half (the full Cadburys) of cider before it arrived, and I was feeling slightly inebriated at that point, so the staff were starting to feel the oft-slumbered WRATH OF MAPPY at that point. Which doesn't amount to much, other than lots of whining. It's sad to think that, the older you get, the more futile it feels trying to change or amend things....

And yes, I did receive a free drink for my trouble. But everyone at PJ's looked less than impressed with us when they finally turfed us all out at 1.30am. That's when Ryan, Hamish, Rasberry and myself decided to walk to Maccas on Hindley St, rather than move onto Sugar on Rundle St with the rest of the travelling afterparty, to sober ourselves up. It was still 4.45am before I got home. And it was 11pm before I woke up. I was wondering if I'd even gone to sleep until Jim assured me it was the next night.

And I was still slightly hung over....

Atory wrote:This year's AVCon was a huge success from my perspective. I went in thinking the worst and I guess that's why I enjoyed it, even though I was a slave most of the time I was there.

I pretty much did the same, and I still think there was room from improvement. But a lot of work seems to have been done to make the events and screenings run much more smoothly, so if there are any problems, they're behind the scenes, rather than upfront. A lot of kudos to Barron for his technical work pre-convention. It made life so much easier for James.

Speaking of Barron, after having been picked up by Ryan and spending a little time at the con in the morning (you could have heard the crickets chirping, it was so quiet at that time of the day) we went and visited him at St.Andrew's Hospital. I swear, holy shite, his injuries were worse than we were expecting. His right arm (he's right-handed, too) was broken in six places, including butterfly spiral fractures. He still had his humour about it (he was up and walking, having lunch when we arrived) but it is going to be, at the very least, two months before it recovers to something resembling normal. :(

From there, we went back to AVCon and grabbed lunch from Wok in a Box. I do not suggest the Beef and Black Pepper. More like Black Pepper with more Black Pepper and some Capsicum. Then we jumped into the line for Cosplay (saw Phong there.... only time I saw him during the convention, this year) and quickly om nom'ed it as the line extended, way back into the cloisters. The cosplay comp was alright, but like everything else ran on for far too long. Then we stuck around for the closing ceremony and auction, which actually managed to get some decent bids this year. Some of them via Greg. And from there, after a bit of cleanup, on to the afterparty which, as usual, seems to have become the best part of AVCon. Which it really shouldn't be, and by the end of the night I almost couldn't hear a damn thing, there was so much background noise. Or maybe I'm going deaf in my old age.

Cheers.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:29 pm

Pirate Man wrote:LOL, it would be a piece of piss for those who work in retail :).

At one point I said "There's... [quick count] 4 grand here, it should be locked away..."
the reply was "I bet you work in retail."

Bazza wrote:While I, on the other hand, enjoyed the finest chook n' chips the city of Adelaide has to offer prepared in under 5 minutes and hand-delivered to my house

I didn't know the Blue and White hand-delivered. When did you move to North Adelaide?

edible_hat

by Dhumahn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:20 am

edible_hat wrote:
Bazza wrote:While I, on the other hand, enjoyed the finest chook n' chips the city of Adelaide has to offer prepared in under 5 minutes and hand-delivered to my house

I didn't know the Blue and White hand-delivered. When did you move to North Adelaide?

No, the rich minderjährigen mädchen's bought him out 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:23 am

Just when I thought I'd missed the bullet with this year's Plague of AVCon, I come down with a throat infection last night. Now my voice is completely gone. I'm not kidding, I had to get Jim to phone someone, who was going to pop round today to collect his fortnightly dose of anime, to tell him that it probably won't be a good idea spending any time within the blighted confines of my surroundings, because I didn't have enough voice left to whisper this over the phone.

But it all pales into insignificance when one thinks of poor Mickey B.... :(
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Chuck Norris...what the hell happened to you guys?! :shock: I'm beginning to think more with each second that not going was a good idea. :? Now I'm beginning to understand why you guys weren't so talkative Tuesday night. How you survived that weekend is beyond me. Hope you guys get on the mend ASAP.

Mega kudos to Barron. Hope you're up and mended soon and that it doesn't mess with Uni, seeing it just recommenced this week. :( That's lousy timing. Get well and kick that course's behind, mate.

Comiserations to those who got sick from matters out of control. No comiserations to those with hangovers. Drink less next time and maybe you won't feel so bad.

If you're going to get good food without having to spend an eternity waiting or doing an hour sitdown in a restaurant and without hitting your hip-pocket, I recommend:

1. Spices on Rundle Street. They give you close to twice the amount that those chain Asian places do. Plus $7.90 for lunch and $9.90 for dinner most days.

2. Genki in the David Jones basement. Do good sushi, light yet filling and not loaded with the crap mayonnaise or heavy rice the other places use.

3. Burp on Hindley Street. Decent Mexican for under 10 bucks. Lot of variety and they load those burritos big time with a lot of stuff.

4. Noodlelicious in the arcade that goes in between David Jones and Pulteney Street. 8 bucks will get you a huge serve of Vietnamese soup several times the size of Mappy's head. And it's good.

5. Gelatissimo on Rundle Street. Best gelati for about 1000 miles. Lot of variety, plus they're doing about 20 different varieties of choclate at the moment. Even Chilli Chocolate. ^^ Plus their usual offerings of Blood Orange, Caramelised Fig, White Chocolate, Lime and Pina Colada are simply divine. Never ever regretted buying something from there. Mappy will vouch for the Caramelised FIg. Even better, it's next door to Spices. ^^
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:48 am

Last Exile wrote:Genki in the David Jones basement. Do good sushi, light yet filling and not loaded with the crap mayonnaise or heavy rice the other places use.

That is the crappiest sushi I've ever eaten, no flavour whatsoever. My first choice is Maki Maki, besides, my charm gets me a lot of free rolls there :wink: It's a shame they were closed on the weekend when I was around there, I wanted to show up in my cosplay. I've noticed there's now a Cherry Blossom in the Myer food court. I haven't tried their sushi yet but they have quite a range of ramune. The one on Glynburn Rd. is my second choice.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by blakus88 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:41 pm

The crab and onion roll at Genki is nice. My favourite sushi place would have to be Sumo Station on Pulteney if I'm in the mood to blow $38 on the all-you-can-eat nights they have on Sundays. Also, Gelatissimo is fantastic. Try their gelati on those hot waffles they do.
blakus88

by IceLee » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:18 pm

Gelatissimo sounds nice, will have to go there one day and I agree with burp- best mexican, most authentic so far (so I reckon- I want mexican now! :lol: )
IceLee

by Mappy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 pm

As a man who doesn't eat a lot, I have to concur with Gelatissimo. Great stuff. :wink:

If only AVCon had been as good. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Well, I had some last night. Their new Chilli Chocolate is a nice, subtle source of heat. The Raspberry was amazingly good too.

Pulp Fiction had a good time at AvCon, Pete was pretty pleased at how things turned out, he found it to be far better organised this year.

A confirmation and a rumour about 2009.

Fact: AvCon 2009 has already been booked for the Convention Centre.
Rumour: The anime, gaming, comic book and sci-fi societies will combine to make it work. Which is logical, really.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Last Exile wrote:Fact: AvCon 2009 has already been booked for the Convention Centre.

Anyone who went already knew this... :roll:
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:49 pm

I already knew a week or two before avcon :lol: it was even before the notice were printed for the showbags so yeah, next year it will definetly be a big one. I'm thinking of skipping unisaga again this friday just to get gelato from that rundle street shop (probably will on wednesday while on way to dave's parents house) and pizza from a pizza resturant on port road called bellavita I believe, and watch the olympic opening ceremony while eating the yummy food stuffs! (last night was at quiz night at deafsa and.... we won first prize!! :lol: )
IceLee

by Last Exile » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:51 pm

IceLee wrote:I already knew a week or two before avcon :lol: it was even before the notice were printed for the showbags so yeah, next year it will definetly be a big one. I'm thinking of skipping unisaga again this friday just to get gelato from that rundle street shop (probably will on wednesday while on way to dave's parents house) and pizza from a pizza resturant on port road called bellavita I believe, and watch the olympic opening ceremony while eating the yummy food stuffs! (last night was at quiz night at deafsa and.... we won first prize!! :lol: )

Grats.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by IceLee » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:04 pm

thanks.
IceLee

by edible_hat » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:17 pm

IceLee wrote:(last night was at quiz night at deafsa and.... we won first prize!! :lol: )

and that prize was wine.

edible_hat

by Mappy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:54 am

btw, AVCon's Forum is SQL Erroring, again. :)

Which is okay, as AJAS's webpage has been a bit farked of recent, too. :wink:
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Yes , now in its 3rd day of fail.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Psike81 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:05 pm

AVCON 09 @ Convention center ? ... sounds great , and sounds like an excuse for a trip (if its possible)
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Ryan White » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Mappy wrote:Which is okay, as AJAS's webpage has been a bit farked of recent, too.

It would appear that our nutrino detector is working.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Pirate Man » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Last Exile wrote:
Rumour: The anime, gaming, comic book and sci-fi societies will combine to make it work. Which is logical, really.

Thats if they don't rip each other throats out first. :shock:
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard