AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Sudoku-playing jurors end drug trial in Sydney

by Last Exile » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:06 am

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=577812

Since their names aren't allowed to be made public, we can once again blame Anon. :)
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: Sudoku-playing jurors end drug trial in Sydney

by Ryan White » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:03 am

I find it unnerving to consider that somebodies fate be determined by how interesting the prosecution or defense can make their cases.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:46 pm

Ryan White wrote:I find it unnerving to consider that somebodies fate be determined by how interesting the prosecution or defense can make their cases.

Agreed. I also find it unnerving it took people that long to notice what the jurors were doing. They're not supposed to be allowed to use newspapers or watch related news articles for the duration of the trial to avoid being influenced by the media and I'm sure court security would search them for possessions brought to the trial. So why the hell were they allowed to have sudoku on them?

My mother did jury duty once about 15 years ago and she took it very seriously. Don't know what standards they enforce these days.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:01 pm

You can go into jury duty with a great deal of seriousness and intent to do your civic duty. But it still doesn't change the fact that you're an everyday person with an everyday understanding of court processes, trial processes and the complexity of the presentation of evidence. And when you start combining that complexity with a looooooooooong trial, along with the fact that these people have had to set aside this period of their lives for this trial, you start to push the boundaries of what the jurors, themselves, are capable of understanding and their desire to understand.

It is almost as if these jurors were intending the self-destruct the trial. Some trials drag on for months. I doubt you can remember the absolute minutae of things told to you months ago. Now combine that with repetitive boredom and an entrapment into the process. I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Mappy wrote:I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

It probably does but nobody notices most of the time.

Here's a case where a judge was caught wanking while hearing cases:
http://bubbaworld.com/2007/01/01/the-ma ... ing-judge/
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Psike81 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:47 pm

Ryan White wrote:I find it unnerving to consider that somebodies fate be determined by how interesting the prosecution or defense can make their cases.

I came across a gesture back @ a party which went ... "we're here to prove a standing on the case , you want the truth ; walk across the road (to Adelaide Cathedral)."
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by edible_hat » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:18 am

Psike81 wrote: you want the truth ; walk across the road (to Adelaide Cathedral)."

thus proving that lawyers always lie
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat