AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Man loses mind in Akihabara....

by Dhumahn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:10 pm

....and starts killing people:

From any given news source:

"A MAN has gone on a stabbing rampage in Tokyo's premier electronics and video game district, killing six people and knifing 12 others.

Tomohiro Kate, 25, allegedly swerved his two-tonne truck into a crowd, killing three people. It is unclear whether the other two killed were hit by the truck, or stabbed to death.

Police said they arrested Mr Kate on the spot. The lunchtime attack in the Akihabara district, known as Electric Town and wildly popular with Japan's cyber-wise youth, paralysed the area and drew at least 17 ambulances.

Mr Kato reportedly said he was "tired of life", Japan's public broadcaster NHK said.

Jiro Akagi, a police spokesman, confirmed Mr Kato's arrest and identity, but declined to give further details.

Local news reports initially said Mr Kato was a self-proclaimed gangster, but NHK later said the suspect was not a gang member.

Reports said the attacker grunted and roared as he slashed and stabbed at his victims on a street crowded with shoppers.

Toshiyuki Miyake, a spokesman for the Tokyo Fire Department, said earlier that five of the victims had gone into cardiac arrest, and that there condition remained unknown.

Akihabara, traditionally home to retailers of electronics and gadgets, has become synonymous with Japan's expansive "nerd" culture of video games, comic books and outlandish fashion.

In recent years it has mushroomed into a haven for Japanese subculture, pulling in tourists from home and abroad interested in comic books and video games.

Akihabara's attractions include everything from a museum of Japanese animation to cafes where waitresses dress as maids and video-game characters, while it is also a major commuter hub.

Once rare, stabbing attacks have become more frequent in Japan in recent years as violent crime has increased.

Today's attack fell on the anniversary of one of modern Japan's most ghastly crimes - a stabbing frenzy that left eight children dead at an elementary school in 2001.

It is seven years to the day since Mamoru Takuma went on a rampage with a butcher's knife at the Ikeda elementary school in the western city of Osaka.

At Takuma's sentencing, the judge called the killings "one of the most heinous cases in Japan's criminal history".

Takuma was executed in 2004 at the age of 40.
"

It's a scary day for all of us...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Man loses mind in Akihabara....

by Dhumahn » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:46 am

Update, better make that 7 dead.

I hope this guy gets publicly executed (by flamethrower).
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Too swift, Greg. I say stab him in the stomach and let the digestion of his internal organs and blood pH poisoning, slow and VERY painful, give him absolute hell in his last hour.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:05 pm

An eye for an eye? That mentality leads nowhere.

He's given up on life so it's logical to make him live as long as possible in captivity.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:13 pm

Retribution generally isn't my thing but this one strikes a nerve with me. If you're done with life and want to self-destruct, do it somewhere far away where no one else has to get hurt, or worse, dead, from your stupidity. The guy wanted to join The Black Parade. Why the hell did he have to bring seven people down with him?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:21 pm

Atory wrote:He's given up on life so it's logical to make him live as long as possible in captivity.

The captivity will probably be too comfortable. He'll need to be reminded, every day, why he is in the situation he is in, and be in a state of genuine despair, that this is all there will be to life until he dies.

Anyway, Japan has the death penalty, and this pretty much ranks as something the courts will have him hatcheted for, as others have been in the past. So all argument about this is pointless.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:16 am

Atory wrote:He's given up on life so it's logical to make him live as long as possible in captivity.

I heard there was a spare cage available down at Tokyo Zoo somewhere... 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Atory » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:49 am

Yeah, I know he'll obviously get the death penalty. I just prefer criminals to get what they don't want.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:05 am

That would mean getting creative, and japanese authority hasn't been that way for.... ever? 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:43 pm

Atory wrote:Yeah, I know he'll obviously get the death penalty. I just prefer criminals to get what they don't want.

which is why, when they finally catch Bin Laden, they should spare no expense to keep him alive so he can't fulfill his dream of dying as a martyr.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat