AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Nagasaki High School Student dies after hanging herself

by Mappy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:47 pm

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/389008

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 10:03 EST

NAGASAKI — A 15-year-old girl died early Tuesday after hanging herself in the bathroom of her Nagasaki Prefecture-run high school Sunday afternoon, police said.

The school is still investigating the cause of the girl's suicide but the principal has said the school does not think it was prompted by bullying. The girl had been in a coma after being hospitalized.

and on a vaguely related theme....

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/388975

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 06:43 EST

MITO — The principal of Satake High School in Ibaraki Prefecture committed suicide on Monday, days after his school was found to be one of many to have dodged curriculum requirements, police said.

The body of Yuichiro Takaku, 58, was discovered by a police officer at around 4 p.m. hanging from a tree in woods about 2 kilometers from his home in the town of Daigo, police said, adding that suicide notes were found nearby. Takaku's mother said he told her he would have to apologize to parents over the curriculum problem on Monday. However, police said the handwritten notes do not mention the curriculum problem.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by stormy001 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:50 pm

Not surprising to me
http://anime-comments.blogspot.com/

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Last Exile » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:07 pm

Japan has the highest rate of suicide in the world. So unforunately this stuff happens all the time.

Sadly, Australia is #2.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:58 pm

Last Exile wrote:Japan has the highest rate of suicide in the world. So unforunately this stuff happens all the time.

Sadly, Australia is #2.

Provide a source to back up your claims as I've found different.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:37 am

Last Exile wrote:Japan has the highest rate of suicide in the world. So unforunately this stuff happens all the time.

Sadly, Australia is #2.

Isn't Latvia number 1? Or is that Lithuania?

Damn Baltic states.... They're all the same, I tell you....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by stormy001 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:19 pm

I believe it is Lithuania

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Atory » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:22 pm

[lightbox]http://www.brodyaga.ru/images/Lithuania/Lithuania%202.jpg[/lightbox]
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Madman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:07 pm

Mappy, where do you get this stuff from...
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Atory » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:47 pm

Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:46 am

Yes, the links were rather obvious.... :roll:
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

A smirk upon the death of a classmate

by Mappy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:57 pm

The fun times continue.... :?

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/shukan/368

A smirk upon the death of a classmate

The verbal assault by a teacher was the root cause of the bullying that led to the suicide of a 13-year-old boy in Chikuzen, Fukuoka. It has been two weeks since the boy's death, but the heinous ripple continues.

Ever since the incident, the town of Chikuzen has been enveloped by an abnormal depressing atmosphere. The students, who walk at a faster pace than usual, hold an orange-colored-card in their hands that reads “No interviews accepted, PTA of Miwa Junior High School.” The school has placed a gag order on everyone.

But new facts emerged at a wake that was held on Oct 13, two days after the suicide. “Some kids were looking into the coffin with a smirk on their face as if they were telling the boy ‘Look what you have done to yourself,’” said a neighbor of the deceased boy who attended the wake. “I was both angry and afraid after seeing such conduct. The wake took place at the family’s home. One had to wait in line for several hours as the line reached 300 meters, so the kids could have possibly lost their composure due to the long hours of waiting.”

It has been now revealed that many students told the 13-year-old boy, before his death, to “disappear” or “die.” Some kids at the school, after the death of the boy, reportedly said: “Nothing changes, even though he’s gone,” or “It’s a big relief now that he is gone.”

“Cursing the dead like that, therefore siding with bullies rather than the bullied suggests a mass psychology of control by fear,” said psychiatrist Shizuo Machizawa. “Those who feel no guilt and who led the bullying have the characteristics of a psychopath. They are very power-hungry and anti-social. At their age, that is a very dangerous state to be in.”

Not all students have been callous. Some visited the bereaved family and apologized in tears that their words and actions could have led to the death of the boy. However, one relative of the boy said: “While some of them were brave enough to confess their guilt, there were others who reluctantly offered an apology just for the sake of an apology. It simply made us sad.”

As for the teacher, who reportedly started all the trouble, he was seen by reporters walking on the school grounds with a smile on his face on the day he was reportedly hospitalized due to depression. (Translated by Toshiya Fujii)

October 31, 2006
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by stormy001 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:54 pm

Man, I am scared to think some of these kids will become future leaders of Japan and have access to nukes ( in view of increasing power of People's Republic of China) in future years to come.

Lack of empathy is an absolute road to evil.

I do glad there are some decent kids apologizing in tears to the parent in sincerity, hope is not at all lost.

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Psike81 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:49 pm

At the rate Mappy's posting this stuff , i'm thinking that Japan well on its way to Battle Royale ?

Stuff like that happens in other countries no doubt , but at the rate of almost everyday in 1 newspaper ? Maybe Guinness should have a special category for such records ...
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Ryan White » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:46 am

Sounds like those kids that helped cause the suicide deserve a pat on the back. Administered very low and very hard. Their parents should be ashamed of themselves.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:18 am

Much of this report was anecdotal, so a lot of it can be put down to exaggeration....

Still, I can think of one Japanese village that probably won't miss their children.... :unsure:
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Psike81 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:40 am

You're not thinking about Higurashi are you ? After that , I don't think anyone misses it being non-existant .
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Mappy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:55 am

Actually, I was referring to the village in the story. But whatever. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man