AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Dragonball Live-action Movie gets bad reviews

by Dhumahn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:53 pm

....as expected:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ ... -evolution

I kinda feel sorry for those who will go see it, I wouldn't even let a dead corpse that's been slowly decaying for 2 millennia watch this shite. :x
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Dragonball Live-action Movie gets bad reviews

by Mappy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:15 am

Zac Bertschy wrote:Otaku the world over just love to complain about live-action adaptations of beloved anime series, usually months – if not years – before they come out, determined to hate the final product regardless of what it is. It could be argued that they're not giving some of these projects a fair shake from the get-go; they're hating just to hate, swearing fealty to the original show or manga, convinced Hollywood just can't ever get it right.

Dragonball: Evolution was no exception. Fans decried every scrap of material they could get their hands on, from leaked screencaps to shots of unpainted action figures to the teaser trailers, each time their derisive laughter and scorn growing louder and louder. A tiny handful of people remained cautiously optimistic, praying that 20th Century Fox had managed to distill the essence of the eternally popular, internationally beloved and downright legendary Dragon Ball story into a 90-minute action adventure that, while perhaps not adhering so closely to the exact plot and pacing of the original story, did provide a faithful and entertaining homage that might pave the way for increasingly loyal adaptations down the road.

Here's what happened instead: a bunch of talentless hacks with studio money slapped together a big steaming pile of baffling garbage that fails utterly on every possible level and will please no one at all.

The fans were right.

Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:46 am

I was on a bus covered with promotional posters for that. I couldn't even tell who was who. :?

As if Speed Racer wasn't a glaring enough example for the industry to learn from.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:48 am

Nooo!! Kojikan pic!!!

...oh well, suits the thread though (should've made this the thread about all things that are "EPIC FAIL")
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:53 am

+ Might be fun when you're hammered and surrounded by friends. Or suicidal, and need something to push you over the edge
− Basically everything

GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Hans Stockmann » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:46 pm

Last Exile wrote:I was on a bus covered with promotional posters for that. I couldn't even tell who was who. :?

As if Speed Racer wasn't a glaring enough example for the industry to learn from.

When I went in to that film, I expected Speed Racer. I got Speed Racer. I liked it.

Dragonball though, I'm going to drag as many people as possible to... experience with me. The riffing will at least be entertaining.
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by ARTA8SIMS » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:17 am

I knew it will be crap from the start. I mean look at that poster they got! Why don't they spend money on Eva live-action instead of this. :x Even Initial D live-action was better than that and it was made by the people from Hong Kong. :lol:
ImageImage
Anime collection HDD1: 552GB / 931GB Still going up.
Anime collection HDD2: 804GB / 931GB Still going up.
AOF -- ISML -- AJAS
ARTA8SIMS