AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

The Melancholy of W eeaboo Dubs

by Bazza » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:19 am

Ohayou! ^__^

So, as some of you may know, I just recently bought 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu) volume 1 with Collectors Box O_O
Well, I don't normally watch the English dubs, cause, like, that's just not cool, but I thought I would have a watch through it to see just how bad it was ;-; and I was shocked to hear w eeaboo terms such as 'moe' and 'otaku' in there @_@. This got me thinking, we all know making an anime too American is a bad thing, but is it also a bad thing to make a dub that *isn't* American enough?

Take 灼眼のシャナ (Shakugan no Shana) for instance. Horrid dub, I'd swear it was made by Otaku or something #_# they still tacked on the honourifics like -chan to peoples names and for some reason Alastor (which was an English name to begin with) was still being pronounced as Ara-stor-u >_<

So what does everyone think? Are w eeaboo dubs the way of the future? Is that a good thing?

God, writing that was painful, even for me. ;_;
Oh, good, wordfilter'd. -.-'

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by edible_hat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:11 am

[lightbox]http://imgred.com/http://pbfcomics.com/archive/0PBF61009BC-Weeaboo.jpg[/lightbox]

and just to see what the word filter does: WEEABOO!
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Last Exile » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:51 am

Fuhgeddaboutit!
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:56 pm

Thats new 'moe' and 'otaku' is a wee-a-boo term? Must be new to me cause I never seen these terms slotted into wee-a-boo terminology. Isn't a wee-a-boo just a Foreigner that trying to be a Nip?
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Who cares how wee-a-boo a dub is if watching it only brings forth pain. Seriously, it just isn't a question worth considering. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:10 am

On a related note, Fun with the Rozen Maiden english dub ~desu.

Stinku and Gin-sama have the same VA. :?

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too