AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

What are you watching at the moment?

by Mappy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:20 am

As in what anime you are watching at home, as opposed to AJAS.

I run a playlist of 20 shows at once. That playlist was, as of yesterday:

Utawarerumono, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna, Aria the Natural, Simoun, Rozen Maiden Traumend, Solty Rei, Ouran High School Host Club, Ergo Proxy, Ai Yori Aoshi, Strawberry Panic, Nanaka 6/17, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Figure 17 - Tsubasa and Hikaru, Gilgamesh, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo, Honey & Clover, Yume Tsukai, Asatte no Houko and Mushishi. In that order, even.

But I've finished Utawarerumono, Rozen Maiden Traumend, Strawberry Panic and Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo. So I'll have to find 4 new things to replace them with.

Things that I'd already finished watching on this playlist:

Piano, Coyote Ragtime Show, Rozen Maiden + Ouverture, Aria the Animation, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Muteki Kanban Musume, Black Cat, Noein and Canvas 2 - Nijiri no Sketch. I watch things in a playlist as the differences in the shows keeps me interested in watching over a longer stretch. I managed to marathon two playlists (40 episodes.... 42 if you count Figure 17 being double-length) over one weekend this way. My brain was mush afterwards, though. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:09 am

Lucky Star, and that's about it. I'm too time-poor.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Bazza » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:10 am

What I'm watching on my own time:

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikersS
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
The iDOLM@STER
Maria-sama ga Miteru OAV series
Moetan (for the lulz I may add)
Sky Girls

8)

I don't know whats more surprising: That Mappy is watching Nanoha, or that he's only on the second series when most of the third is out. :D

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 am

I watch (almost) everything. Eventually. Good or bad. Because you don't know what is good until you know what is bad. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:25 pm

Hmmm, should I watch Higurashi or Shana next....
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:48 pm

I prefer Higurashi over Shana, but that's just me. I'm sure most people are the other way round. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:57 pm

Mappy wrote:I'm sure most people are the other way round. 8)

Cough.

Someone must be talking about me. Hmm... :?

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:06 pm

Why Bazza.... Why would anyone be talking about you? 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Mappy wrote:Why Bazza.... Why would anyone be talking about you? 8)

Wow Mushishi at the end you must be really punishing yourself.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:20 pm

Yeah. It's terrible. Terrible.

So what does Mushishi have to do with Bazza?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:47 pm

Mappy wrote:So what does Mushishi have to do with Bazza?

Yeah, was kind of wondering that myself... :)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Pirate Man » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:22 pm

Bazza wrote:
Mappy wrote:So what does Mushishi have to do with Bazza?

Yeah, was kind of wondering that myself... :)

Has everything to do with you, Mushishi and Bazza intermix together.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by (mad) » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:40 pm

/me is happy he has no idea about an anime that has something to do with bazza :P
i'm currently watching gantz, since i managed to get an uncensored version of the first half, which i missed when it was on at ajas
(mad)
180 Proof

by Bazza » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 pm

(mad) wrote:/me is happy he has no idea about an anime that has something to do with bazza

Well, that makes two of us. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Rasberry » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:04 pm

man i need to watch more, my last item on my list was comic party....
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by Pirate Man » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:08 pm

Bazza wrote:
(mad) wrote:/me is happy he has no idea about an anime that has something to do with bazza

Well, that makes two of us. 8)

That makes the three of us as well :lol:
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:59 am

I ended up watching Death Note 1-10. Mappy will probably find it amusing I actually now like this series quite a bit after what I said to him about it a couple of months ago. However, I feel guilty every time I like something in Death Note. :( Impossible not to really.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 am

In other news, throw Tsukuyomi and Ergo Proxy on the earlier list... 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:54 am

Death Note 11-16. Misa sure does throw a spanner in the works.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:18 pm

If I had to rank the shows I'm watching, from best to worst (IMO) it would be thus (completed in red):

Mushishi
Noein
Simoun
Ergo Proxy
Gankutsuou
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Code Geass
Aria the Natural
Asatte no Houko
Gilgamesh
Aria the Animation
Rozen Maiden Ouverture
Welcome to the NHK
Rozen Maiden
Yume Tsukai
Coyote Ragtime Show
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Honey & Clover
Solty Rei
Utawarerumono
Figure 17 - Tsubasa and Hikaru
Strawberry Panic
Honey & Clover II
Muteki Kanban Musume
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo
Magical Pokan
Piano
Ouran High School Host Club
Ai Yori Aoshi
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
Canvas 2 - Nijiri no Sketch
Black Cat
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
Nanaka 6/17

You can argue over whether you think I'm right.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:22 pm

Wow, I didn't think you rated Ergo Proxy that highly Mappy. :)
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:25 pm

It is awesomeness... it just doesn't have an awesome ending.

I agree with most of Mappy's ordering.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:30 pm

I'm really enjoying watching Ergo Proxy atm, rather than scan my way through it as I got the episodes the first time through. The same with Gankutsuou.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:32 pm

Gankutsuou's another of my all time favourites... It actually brought a tear to my eye in parts.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Bazza » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Why is Ouran so low on the list? I reckoned it to be a pretty good show overall.

Nanoha. I don't agree with its location but it is kind of a niche anime. I can understand why a normal person might not like it. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by (mad) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:42 pm

did you just call mappy normal? :shock:
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Atory wrote:Gankutsuou's another of my all time favourites... It actually brought a tear to my eye in parts.

It is quite an awesome show. The imagery still gives me a headache at times, but otherwise a fantastic show.

Bazza wrote:Why is Ouran so low on the list? I reckoned it to be a pretty good show overall.

Nanoha. I don't agree with its location but it is kind of a niche anime. I can understand why a normal person might not like it. 8)

I didn't see what the fuss was about with the first Nanoha series. Apart from the obvious bits for those strange minderjährigen mädchen people. A's may go up on this list as I watch more, as it actually bothers with a plot, other than the standard magic girl fare meets firepower+.

Ouran is alright, but pretty superficial overall. Any show that makes jokes at the expense of elitist and/or rich people can't be all that bad, though.

What I am saying is: I might have listed these shows in terms of personal worthiness, but I don't really hate any of them. Nanaka 6/17 is one of the easiest shows to watch because I can turn my brain off when it starts.

(mad) wrote:did you just call mappy normal? :shock:

Bazza is delusional, so you'll have to forgive him. It's the only thing to forgive him for, but still.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:05 pm

It's all relative.

Mappy is normal.

When standing next to me.

8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:09 pm

See. I told you Bazza was delusional. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:19 am

Speaking of delusional....

Higurashi 1-4: Yeah, I finally watched some since I keep being pestered about it.

I've got one word to describe how I feel about this so far.

And?

There wasn't anything bad but there wasn't anything good either. I found myself with the same expression on my face in every scene of every episode. I wasn't bored yet I wasn't interested. Wasn't numbed yet not excited. It just didn't stir a single thing in me at all.

Not sure whether I want to continue since there's 5 more 4 episode arcs of this. But I might purely finish it since I started it. Right now, that would be the only reason I have to watch anymore.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:08 pm

I wish I'd kept your private message about Haruhi Suzumiya, because you were saying much the same thing, only stronger, after 4 episodes of that. And now you're using Haruhi as your avatar. 8)

Higurashi is love it or hate it stuff. I can't make you like it, you'll either run with it or you won't. Something that is especially hard to do when it starts off just layering more wtf on you, arc after arc. Most of the issues are, of course, down to Studio Deen and how poorly they handled the game to anime conversion, including pacing, plot elements (some missing.... you start to lose a lot from the show when much of the characters' internal monologues are left out, and whole scenes which actually have clues in them as to what is going on) and, most especially, cheapening out on animation (they were spending most of their efforts on Simoun at the time, which they saw as "their baby"). Much of this has been remedied in Kai. But that isn't going to change the fact that you have 22 more episodes to go before you get there.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:44 pm

I loled at Mendes.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Pirate Man » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Last Exile wrote:Speaking of delusional....

Higurashi 1-4: Yeah, I finally watched some since I keep being pestered about it.

So I ain't the only one who dig up ancient fossils in my spare time, who did pester you about Higurashi 10 years since its release?
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:41 pm

@Mappy: You forgot something then. I HATED Haruhi Suzumiya after 4 episodes. I began to like it after 5, I liked it after 7. That series 'always' evoked a lot of things in me, be it hate or like or related emotions from either side of the spectrum.

Higruashi is doing the opposite to me. Not feeling 'anything' is just weird. I'll keep going, the NFO crowd assures me it gets better and that the point of this series will become clear.

@Atory: /khaaaan
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Definitely don't judge that series after just 4 episodes.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:00 pm

Atory wrote:Definitely don't judge that series after just 4 episodes.

Which is why I skipped AJAS tonight. I'm going for more of this.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Psike81 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:08 pm

Don't worry Mendez ... your vote would count little .
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Last Exile » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:34 pm

Psike81 wrote:Don't worry Mendez ... your vote would count little .

L2spell.

PS. How is Malaysia?

Edit: Higurashi 5-8 - Now this arc I did like. It actually was interesting, was thrilling, had meltdowns, gore and expressions that were actually evocative. It felt like it had a more coherent story. It still had its flaws but the Watanagashi arc was far better than the Spirited Away arc. I do believe I will see this series through now.

Yet I think you already knew I'd come to that conclusion, didn't you Mappy? :? You aluded to it ever so subtly but I did pick it up. You knew I'd like this arc and I bet Atory did too.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:32 am

Last Exile wrote:Higruashi is doing the opposite to me. Not feeling 'anything' is just weird. I'll keep going, the NFO crowd assures me it gets better and that the point of this series will become clear.

Higurashi is one of the most difficult series to explain to people, simply because each and every arc shows things from a different angle, as well as showing that each world follows a different path. And that is the point, because it isn't a case that the story is restarting as a plot format, but because of a plot device due to one of the characters. Or two, if you've seen Kai.

It also means a lot of what you see in the early stages is obfuscation. In short, almost the entirety of Onikakushi-hen is from the warped perception of an increasingly paranoid (and rapidly descending into psychosis, for a particular reason that you probably missed: how often do people get shots at a doctor's clinic for a common cold that was made up by the patient, anyway) Keiichi.

Rena and Mion aren't the villains they seem to be. Neither of them make any of the psychotic expressions or explode into unexpected rages or are even plotting against Keiichi for whatever reason, because that is all in his head. Watanagashi-hen, the next arc, still makes Mion look like a monster, and she isn't, because half of the information is being hidden from the viewer. You have to wait until you get to Meakashi-hen (eps 16-21) before you see what is going on, there, and Tsumihoroboshi-hen (eps 22-26 + ep 1 of Kai) before you start to understand what was happening in Onikakushi-hen. And, at this stage, we haven't even started to get to what happens to the village of Hinamizawa when everything starts to go pear-shaped, and who is actually causing the once-a-year murders during the Watanagashi festival (Tatarigoroshi-hen: eps 9-13, Himatsubushi-hen: eps 14-15, Nekogoroshi-hen, Yakusamashi-hen: Kai eps 2-5, Minagoroshi-hen: Kai eps 6 onwards and Matsuribayashi-hen, later in Kai).

When in doubt, go here and here if you want spoilers and/or need help understanding the show.

And I still can't make you like it. I mean, I could reach through the computer screen and bash your head against the desk whilst shouting "like it, or I'll deliver more pain to you", but that would just be silly. You either get it or you don't. Both points of view are equally valid.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:09 am

Er...I just said I liked the 2nd arc. Did you just miss that???? :o I think you must have been typing your post while I was editing mine. :(

Frankly, I never thought Rena or Mion were sinister at all. It's blatantly obvious they weren't the cause or the guilty parties.

Well, here's my thoughts after 5-8.

Mion is a far more interesting character than Rena. Rena looks like she's having a freaking orgasm every third expression/time she speaks, her exaggeration is stupid and overdone. And she made a weak yandere in the Spirited Away arc, she wasn't scary one bit. You can't be cute and yandere both at once, they defuse each other and cancel out. Her delusional scenes didn't work for me.

Mion, now she had depth. There was a duality to her that the others couldn't appreciate. The tough exterior that hid the soft, kind interior. Couple that with the twin sister Shion and you've got some real tension and depth. She also made a good yandere...in terms of the delusions.

Not feeling much about Rika or Sakoto yet. Sakoto is a little bratty but nothing else. Rika is cutesy but doesn't impact me either. However, this is probably intentional. These two look like they have something to hide. Rena and Mion look like the obvious two to blame yet these two just fade into the background. Furthermore, we never saw the two of them actually die in the 2nd arc, we only have Mion's delusional ranting.

As to what's really going on - I'm probably wrong but I have 3 suspicions common to both arcs. We never saw Takano's body in either arc. I'm not believed she ever died the night Tokimate was killed. I think she's part of the murders. I'm also very suspicious of Oishi, the cop. In both arcs, Keichi was going okay but was only slightly paranoid regarding some of the girls. Then as he learns something new, Oishi always rocks up right after the fact, talks to Keichi and expands on that new information. I'm not convinced Oishi is being truthful. If anything, I suspect Oishi of lying and intentionally making Keichi paranoid to induce what happens next. Finally, Rika and Sakoto look too innocent. They both have history tying to the previous murders and they always seem to conventiently fade away when the murders/disappearances start again. So yeah, I think Takano, Oishi Rika and Sakoto are behind what's going on.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Here be spoilers.

Last Exile wrote:Er...I just said I liked the 2nd arc. Did you just miss that???? :o I think you must have been typing your post while I was editing mine. :(

Well, I was answering the earlier message, so yeah, we were probably writing these at about the same time.

Last Exile wrote:Mion is a far more interesting character than Rena. Rena looks like she's having a freaking orgasm every third expression/time she speaks, her exaggeration is stupid and overdone. And she made a weak yandere in the Spirited Away arc, she wasn't scary one bit. You can't be cute and yandere both at once, they defuse each other and cancel out. Her delusional scenes didn't work for me.

You're underestimating Rena. As Tsumihoroboshi (and the last episode of Watanagashi) shows, a lot of what Rena does is her hiding her real personality. The "kawaiigasms" and such are her trying to escape from her past and the reality of her life. Her parents' divorce, the attempted rape by her three male classmates, the whole loss of her identity through these events and her almost going into Level 3 with the viral parasite that affects almost every resident of Hinamizawa (thus making her "see" Oyashiro-sama), in essence the parasites trying to make her return to the only environment in which they can survive.... (There is also the argument that some of what you see in Onikakushi might be real, considering what happens in Tsumihoroboshi.... Rena might have [spoiler]killed Rina[/spoiler], here, and both she and Mion, who are trying to hide the fact, become suspicious of Keiichi's behaviour and that he might expose what has happened). You really don't, yet, have the whole picture with Rena.

Last Exile wrote:Mion, now she had depth. There was a duality to her that the others couldn't appreciate. The tough exterior that hid the soft, kind interior. Couple that with the twin sister Shion and you've got some real tension and depth. She also made a good yandere...in terms of the delusions.

It is interesting that you say Mion had a duality about her. Once you watch Meakashi, you'll find out that in much of Watanagashi, Mion is not Mion, and Shion is not Shion. In fact, neither of them are who they originally were. 8)

Last Exile wrote:Not feeling much about Rika or Sakoto yet. Satokoo is a little bratty but nothing else. Rika is cutesy but doesn't impact me either. However, this is probably intentional. These two look like they have something to hide. Rena and Mion look like the obvious two to blame yet these two just fade into the background. Furthermore, we never saw the two of them actually die in the 2nd arc, we only have Mion's delusional ranting.

Rika is the most important character in all of Higurashi, I think you'll find. And the next arc will make you feel a great deal of sympathy for Satoko.

And yes, they both died. The opening to episode 5 shows you how Rika died. You get the extended version of this scene, and Satoko's death scene, in Meakashi.

Last Exile wrote:So yeah, I think Takano, Oishi, Rika and Sakoto are behind what's going on.

Two out of four, there. Two of these characters are behind everything that is happening in the show. The other two are merely being taken along for the ride. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Cannabusted » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Bleach
Black Cat
Trinity Blood
InuYasha
Dragonball Z
Dragonball
and any others that get showed on Cartoon Network.
PYAH4mayr
JQEOXH4rqs
AMLCBLXM
want to know what it says?
then go to http://www.omegageddon.com/LM.zip
Cannabusted
Forced Meme

by Mappy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:41 pm

Our sympathies. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Cannabusted » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:55 pm

I forgot to add:
Eureka 7
PYAH4mayr
JQEOXH4rqs
AMLCBLXM
Cannabusted
Forced Meme

by Mappy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:29 am

Updating my ranking of things I've been watching of recent. Completed shows in red.

Mushishi
Noein
Simoun
Ergo Proxy
Gankutsuou
Code Geass
Aria the Natural
Ghost Hunt
Asatte no Houko
Welcome to the NHK
Soukou no Strain
Yume Tsukai
Gilgamesh
Aria the Animation
Coyote Ragtime Show
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Honey & Clover
Solty Rei
Innocent Venus
Rozen Maiden Ouverture
Honey & Clover II
Karin
Magical Pokan
Rozen Maiden
Zero no Tsukaima
Utawarerumono
Strawberry Panic
Ai Yori Aoshi
Muteki Kanban Musume
Mahoraba - Heartful Days
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo
Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
Piano
Black Cat
Nanaka 6/17
Narue no Sekai

Opinion on recently finished shows:

Here's a 'monster-of-the-week' (or in the case of this show's tv scheduling, 'of-the-month') series with strong slice-of-life elements that turns into a SAD END show. I didn't know this show was having an effect on me until [spoiler]Hikaru died[/spoiler]. Nobody else will agree with me, I'm sure, about the standing I now give to this show.... Goes into my all-time favourites.*

They managed to do something with a show that had a pretty mediocre first season. That they had to introduce about half a dozen new characters to do it is a minus, but it is a lot easier to see why this show has such a fanboy army.**

Yume Tsukai
Oddball show that wasn't quite up to the standards of the manga. Not surprising, really, considering the manga contained much minderjährigen mädchen, shotacon, futanari, traps, guro, incest and basically a whole lot of things that would never have allowed it to go to air in the first place, even though it was on at 1.30-2.00am. The dream-mage element could have been a little more imaginative.***

Welcome to the NHK
Yes, I've watched this before, and I know how it ends, which was a lot better than most of Gonzo's other self-created endings. Show lost a lot of sting after the first few episodes.

Watching this alongside other shows confirms, for me, what I felt when I first watched it: that even if it was a good show, it still lacked a little something for me.... Oh, and they didn't explain the talking cat, as far as I can remember....

Asatte no Houko
Slice of life show that I quite enjoyed. Managed to tell the simple story of two girls who swap ages, and the resultant effects it has on their relationships with others, simply and effectively, though the ending was a bit rushed and, if it had contained more elements of the manga, could have gone in Welcome to the NHK directions.

Nanaka 6/17
Show made mediocre by its almost non-existent budget and relatively forgettable writing and characterisation. Entertaining on a very basic, brain-dead level and had rare moments of character-driven inspiration, but you'd expect a whole lot more from a show about a girl who develops multiple personalities after suffering a psychological trauma....

*I also had one of those 'I've heard that voice before' moments with Hikaru, who is played by Orikasa Fumiko. She's putting on the same voice she later uses as Miu in Ichigo Mashimaro. She also played Shirley in Code Geass, Pacifica in Scrapped Princess, Ciel in Tsukihime, Celes in Hellsing, Rukia in Bleach, Himeko in Pani Poni Dash, Hikari in Haibane Renmei, Meia in Vandread, Chise in Saikano, Chiaki in NieA_7, Yuzuki in Chobits, Yayoi in Stellvia, Chiyoko in Millennium Actress, Chie-sensei in Higurashi, Meilin in Gundam SEED Destiny, Karin in Stratos 4 and Arashi in GadGuard. Not a small name in the seiyuu business, then....

**The relative standard of this series begins to explain the disdainful attitude most of the said rabid fanboys had for the StrikerS series, which might as well have been 13 episodes, like the previous two, than the 26 it panned out to be. Sure, it gave more time for character development, but also lead to enormous, great steaming piles of mindless filler. It also gave the producers the opportunity to turn Tea into an mürrisch for 3 episodes.

***I actually have nine volumes of said manga, in moonspeak, from Kinokuniya in Sydney, whcih I happened to buy on a whim and, being sealed in plastic, weren't able to discover the contents until I'd opened them. One of those random picks that makes you want to tear out your eyes, but what has been seen cannot be unseen, so.... I'm sure I've piqued Bazza's interest, though.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:00 pm

Mappy wrote:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Watching this alongside other shows confirms, for me, what I felt when I first watched it: that even if it was a good show, it still lacked a little something for me.... Oh, and they didn't explain the talking cat, as far as I can remember....

Haruhi is God. She wanted a talking cat. She got a talking cat.

Code: Select all
/cheatmode
/setcharacter "cat"
/addabilitytocharacter "talking"
/exitcheatmode

8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:07 pm

Higurashi 9-21: Yeah, i definitely like this series a lot now. But I'm beginning to feel extreme disgust at myself for doing so. Particularly after taking extreme delight in episodes 20 and 21.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Just wait until episode 13 of the second season.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:26 pm

Ryan White wrote:Just wait until episode 13 of the second season.

Actually I suddenly don't feel guilt again. Although I'm finding it impossible to touch my neck at the moment....

Okay, my veins didn't suddenly implode. Can touch my neck. There's hope yet.

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved seeing [spoiler]Shion (aka Super Yandere) absolutely maul the crap out of Rika (aka yandere wannabe), Mion (aka tsundere in denial), the old fogeys (aka the Three Stooges) and Sakoto (aka Super mürrisch). I just wish Rena (aka Moe patsy) was downed as well. I also felt a twinge of guilt that is slowly increasing after seeing Sakoto crucified. Any other character, I'd have taken 110% satisfaction from that scene, especially if it happened to Rena or RIka. But since it was Sakoto, I feel some guilt. It's still a great scene(s)/two episodes.[/spoiler] I want to see more of that. [spoiler]As long is Sakoto isn't on the receiving end.[/spoiler]
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:44 pm

The impact of the Second Season of Higurashi is as sensational as the Second Season of Heroes... Full of been here done that type feeling.

[spoiler]The episode reminds me of Predator/Aliens, where all the mains chats sacrifice their lives to just save the one character.[/spoiler]
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:52 pm

Pirate Man wrote:

The impact of the Second Season of Higurashi is as sensational as the Second Season of Heroes... Full of been here done that type feeling.

[spoiler]The episode reminds me of Predator/Aliens, where all the mains chats sacrifice their lives to just save the one character.[/spoiler]

Way to spoil it, druid of fail.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:58 pm

Last Exile wrote:

Way to spoil it, druid of fail.

Thats not a spoiler, I didn't give a reason why or how it happens and why its surprising to MR "I hate predictability in anime" (even though your favourites are predictable) on a analogy of a movie?

I got a better idea instead of failing at your second job play a real game for once?
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Ryan White » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:22 am

Well, I consider telling people what happens, especially at the end of a story arc, a spoiler. Use the tags next time.
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:09 am

Reflecting on those episodes, I am no longer afraid to touch my neck and my guilt is subsiding.

[spoiler]Okay, Scott - where's the gore you said was so horrific? I presume you meant Episodes 20 and 21, particularly 21. Well, sorry, but I didn't consider them gory or chilling. Frankly I found Shion having her fingernails ripped out far more chilling than Sakoto's crucifixion or Rika's self-impaling. Sorry, but the opening scenes of Elfen Lied - now that was proper gore that is permanently imprinted in my mind as classic. Don't get me wrong, I found 20 and 21 violent, shocking, conscience twinging at times, but not gory. Maybe it's the way they draw blood in that series or something or the lack of showing anything. I don't consider that to be gore. Perhaps the fabled 13th episode of season 2 will be. I sure as heck know School Days 12 is, which is probably the one reason I will end up watching that series eventually.

Do I like this series now? Definitely. That might not always be a good thing but meh, there's far worse out there.

PS. Rena needs to start dying again, I'm getting freaking sick of her living while Sakoto dies in the worst ways. Even if Sakoto is a bit mürrisch, she hardened up and has far more positives than that silly little moe (insert preferred euphenism here). Speaking of mürrisch, where the hell is that (insert preferred euphenism here) Satoshi?! Where is that little brat? He's just as bad as Keichi.

I guess Rika and Ooishi are the two at large in this whole thing. Takano seemed to be like a moth unable to stay away from the light and Satoko just the unfortunate victim of a name. [/spoiler]

Oh crap, now my fingernails hurt! blutig distinctions...
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:37 am

You still aren't getting Rena. Her moe personality is an act. The true Rena was the one grilling Oishi and Shion in Watanagashi and Meakashi. You'll be seeing more of that in the next 5 episodes. At least, the paranoid version. [spoiler]And there is a certain satisfaction in the way she takes out Rina and Teppei (Satoko's uncle).[/spoiler] :wink:

Bazza wrote:Haruhi is God. She wanted a talking cat. She got a talking cat.

Yes, but it never actually happened in the show. It appears in episode 1 (or episode 0, based on the dvd release) and the credits. Why introduce it there if you aren't actually going to explain it or even use it during the series?

I've been looking up the roles of various seiyuu in recent times, the latest being the seiyuu who uses her given name, Yukana, as her stage name (her full name is Nogami Yukana), mostly because she plays the dual roles of Erii and Dominura in Simoun. She also has roles in Card Captor Sakura (Meilin), Code Geass (C.C.), Full Metal Panic (Tessa), Black Cat (Rinslet), Bleach (Isane), Chobits (Kotoko), Inu Yasha (Kanna), Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome (Mashiro and Fumi), Soukou no Strain (Lottie), 12 Kingdoms (Youka), Zegapain (Mizuki and Sin), Pretty Cure (Honoka), Heroic Age (Niruval), Kujibiki Unbalance (Kasumi), Nanoha StrikerS (Reinforce II), Air Master (Mina), Wedding Peach (Yuri), Mononoke (Kayo), Yu_Gi-Oh (Miho), Samurai Deeper Kyo (Sakuya) and Moldiver (Mirai), Not exactly an under-employed seiyuu.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:52 pm

Well, I have said on more than one occassion that Rena is the one person I couldn't careless about, at least so far. Regradless of whether she's in moe or yandere mode, I find them both mind-numbing. The other characters have a lot going for them to make them empathy-worthy or interesting. Rena interests me not. So my only two thoughts about her are 'Why hasn't she died yet/' and 'Why hasn't she killed someone yet?'
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:19 pm

And that's why I keep saying you don't "get" Rena. Rika is an interesting character for reasons you haven't quite reached yet, but Mion, Shion, Satoko and Keiichi are no more interesting, or sympathetic, than Rena is. I just think you've closed your mind to the character, and am fully expecting a post telling us how much you didn't like the final episodes of the first season because they involve her.

I dare you to prove me wrong. 8)

Oh, and two other points.

Last Exile wrote:'Why hasn't she died yet?'

[spoiler]Beaten to death by Keiichi in Onikakushi. Died with the residents of Hinamizawa in Tatarigoroshi and Himatsubushi (though we don't know exactly how). Butchered by the Yamainu in Yakusamashi. Shot by Takano in Minagoroshi.[/spoiler]

Last Exile wrote:'Why hasn't she killed someone yet?'

[spoiler]She definitely kills Rina and Teppei in Tsumihoroboshi. She may have killed them in Onikakushi (and in other arcs as well, though we are never explicitly told). She has almost killed other people at other stages, including the three boys who tried to rape her at her previous school (all arcs), and when she planted the bomb at the current school when she took everyone hostage in Tsumihoroboshi.[/spoiler]
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

In before the "Rika gets you" copypasta. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:10 am

Okay, little something I needed to clarify. [spoiler] I never considered the Miss Moe side of Rena to be the true side of her, just the standard side throughout the majority of series 1. So knowing it's fake just made it annoying since the other characters were a lot more open with pasts and emotions. Seeing her go berserk in the last arc was awesome. But seeing her grapple with knowing it was wrong and eventually pulling herself together before it was too late, along with realising what Takano was on to, definitely made me think a lot better of her. In the end she does has more to her than most, so yeah, a nice surprise. But seeing everyone figure out what was going on and having the reset button pushed in the last minute?! Oh, come on! No wonder the ending for series 1 ticks people off! The parasite thing...hmm, it could actually happen, really. I guess in the end each arc was what would have happened when a character got infected and went berserk. From 1st arc to last arc, Keichi, Mion, Sakoto, none due to it being retrospective and Rika being a spirit, Shion, Rena.

All in all, I quite liked that series. Pity the 1st arc was of a much lower standard in the rest and almost put me off the series.

So has series 2 done anything good yet? I don't thing I want to touch that one until it's done? Think I might watch Shakugan no Shana next, I'm in need of a good tsundere.[/spoiler][/spoiler]
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:30 am

Y'know, you really don't have to use spoiler tags on series that AJAS has already watched. Just don't spoil things that haven't made the playlist yet, unless they are series likely never to be played.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:37 am

There will always be those who have never watched series before, even if AJAS have played it. I doubt a large number of current AJAS attendees have watched the two movies we played at the very first meeting in June '93.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=2334
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=1163
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:16 pm

i've been convinced to watch school days next by someone i know. so far i've watched the first 2 episodes and i'm getting a strong ominous feeling...
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:07 am

What? That you've been duped? 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:51 pm

(mad) wrote:i've been convinced to watch school days next by someone i know. so far i've watched the first 2 episodes and i'm getting a strong ominous feeling...

Nothing wrong with the anime, its just a normal school drama no violence no switching gfs no killings nothing.

It's quite peaceful like Azamanga Diaoh
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:08 pm

And at the end you get a nice boat. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:33 pm

but do i get my companion cube back? i miss it :cry:
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:12 am

Updating my ranking of things I've been watching of recent. Completed shows in red.

Mushishi
Noein
Simoun
Ergo Proxy
Gankutsuou
Soukou no Strain
Code Geass
Innocent Venus
Aria the Natural
Ghost Hunt
Nodame Cantabile
Asatte no Houko
Welcome to the NHK
Yume Tsukai
Aria the Animation
Mahoraba - Heartful Days
Coyote Ragtime Show
Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Aria the OVA - Arietta
Windy Tales
Gilgamesh
Sci Fi Harry
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Honey & Clover
Solty Rei
Rozen Maiden Ouverture
Honey & Clover II
Karin
Magical Pokan
Rozen Maiden
Zero no Tsukaima
Utawarerumono
Strawberry Panic
Ai Yori Aoshi
Muteki Kanban Musume
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo
Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto
Kanon (2002)
Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
Piano
Trouble Chocolate
Black Cat
Nanaka 6/17
Narue no Sekai

Opinion on recently finished shows:

Honey & Clover II
The biggest problem with H&CII (and, perhaps, you can say the series overall) is not that it is necessarily bad, it's just that it isn't particularly good. H&C reminds me of all of the old shoujo-style series that were made during the 90's, many of which seemed to go on forever with no logical end in sight until they actually stopped. For a while I thought that was going to happen with H&CII, but to the producer's credit, most of this shorter second season is dedicated to wrapping up the various loose ends left by the first, though this also meant an ungodly amount of mürrisch material. And jumping from light comedy to mürrisch is something that only shows like Fruits Basket did well....

Mushishi
I'm normally against shows that are very episodic. Most especially ones that seem to meander with no real objective other than to tell stories on an episode-by-episode basis within the same plot framing. But then, I forget Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Mushishi is a very slow show, yet each and every episode seems to have an entire series' worth of plot ideas packed into them. It just so happens that they are linked by being set in the same era and star the travelling Mushishi, Ginko. I'm also impressed by how the original mangaka came up with distinctly different mushi in each episode considering how nebulous a concept they are, and how well the producers managed to translate said manga into an animated form. This is a class show, easily one of the most mature animes ever made.

Aria the Natural and Aria the OVA - Arietta
Aria is an incredibly beautiful show. It is also an incredibly peaceful show. Watching it is like putting your brain into neutral and allowing it to wallow in cute, sugar-sweet nothing for 24 minutes. Neo Venezia is an interesting-looking location, and quite distinctive as far as anime goes, so the show spends much of its time showing as many locations, events and mysteries (some of them supernatural) as possible, like a travelogue of the city. There are no villains in Aria, either, unless you count the ghost of the headless woman, who isn't really villainous, so much of the time you spend watching nice people have nice lives. Aria the Natural, the second series of the show, is twice as long as the original Aria the Animation, so the budget is squeezed a little more tightly this time, but each episode is utterly consistent.... They all pretty much achieve what they set out to do with the same level of quality. Some people would say this is because the show is uniformly bland, which is a valid criticism, but the show is so blutig nice that you just look like a whiny mürrisch complaining about it. The production costs are ramped up a few notches with the one-off ova, though this just makes the characters look strangely overdrawn, and the plot isn't really anything more than just another Aria episode, though one that does explain how Alicia chose Akari as her trainee Undine. There will be a third season next year.

Magical Pokan
Entertainingly braindead series about four girls from the magical kingdom (Yuuma the witch, Liru the werewolf, Pachira the vampire and Aiko the android) trying to live in our world and making mountains of mistakes whilst doing so. Much cuteness and fanservice ensues. This show is about as deep as a dehydrated puddle, but the show has a distinctly cruel humour that makes the girls look like complete and utter losers (and they are), so not having anything that even remotely looks like an ongoing plot is not a problem. Each of the characters are given distinct personalities and this works to drive the 15 minute sketches they appear in. On odd occasions you're dropped into stories that don't really make sense until the punchline, and.... wait, am I overanalyzing this?

I wasn't too keen on this show, originally. It bore all the hallmarks of a show in the vein of Fruits Basket without any of the requisite depth, even though laughing at the inane, inbred stupidity of rich people is always fun. The trouble is the early episodes aren't particularly great, and it wasn't until about halfway that I started to enjoy the show. At least, for what it was. Giving the characters any semblance of depth, in a show like this, should have been a waste of time but it worked and, by the end, even the somewhat dubious characters become likeable.

Narue no Sekai

Um....

Err....

You know those shows where a guy gets a magical girlfriend, after which their world starts to become populated by an assortment of hangers-on, who give their relationship a number of issues, during a succession of filler episodes, before the series turns serious in the second half in an attempt, by the producers, to give a raison detre for the show's existence?

Well, that's Narue no Sekai.

Only it doesn't have the second half. It is 12 episodes of filler that amount to nothing of any import. One or two episodes were good for a distraction, but that was about it. I used this show as a replacement when I finished Nanaka 6/17, and for all the former show's faults, it had a distinct beginning, middle and end, like it had been planned out beforehand. Narue no Sekai has none of this. Though it does have Bathyscaphe, and she makes up for a lot of things....

Gilgamesh
There are spoilers here for people who haven't watched this.

I hate this show like my mortal enemy.

Alright, no, I don't think Gilgamesh is a bad show, and that is why I hate it so phoaquing much. I hate a show that makes me want to know what happens next, yet leaves me feeling like I've been lessened as a human being by just having associated with it. I'd dumped this show about halfway through back in 2003 in pure, undiluted and instinctive hatred and fast-forwarded to the last episode, in which everyone dies. No, really, everyone carks it. And it probably wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't brought on by a group of brain-dead idealogues who somehow believe humanity would be best wiped out and recreated into an advanced form of life at the behest of a giggling, prancing congenital dummkopf with the powers of a god. It really wouldn't. However, the little epilogue segment made me feel so much better, when, having finally turned Kiyoko into the new human, more by accident than by design (wouldn't have worked out if Kiyoko hadn't done the deed with the Gilgamesh) the congenital dummkopf gets stabbed to death by her creation with a tuning fork. And I was sitting there, imagining that that was me dispensing with this show and its creators.

Was there anything I liked about the show? Um.... The producers deliberately decided to go with an almost entirely hand-drawn, old school animation style that does lend itself to the atmosphere. The character designs are pretty distinctive (some would say ugly) but they are a huge step forward over the original mangaka's efforts from the 1970's, which are so retro in a bad way that the show wouldn't have been made had they tried to use them. Maybe that would have been a good thing....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by HentaiSenpai » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Im currently watching Ai Yori Aoshi and Sailor Moon
HentaiSenpai

by Bazza » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Lets see now...

Zero no Tsukaima (in b4 slowpoke.jpg),
Blue Drop,
iDOLMA@STER XENOGLOSSIA,
Kodomo no Jikan (actually, waiting for dvd release),
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Strikers S and
Shakugan no Shana II.

8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Dhumahn » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Blue Drop
Genshiken 2
Kami-chama Karin
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun (also known as Girls Bravo Re-mix)
Mamoru-kun Ni Megami No Shukufuku Wo!
Myself Yourself
Touka Gettan

...and assorted DVD eps whenever I can.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Mappy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Dhumahn wrote:Kami-chama Karin
Mamoru-kun Ni Megami No Shukufuku Wo!
Touka Gettan

it is a pity the subbers are being somewhat recalcitrant on finishing these shows. I'd like to be able to finish them, myself.... Especially true for Touka Gettan, which is a show that is backwards.... It begins at the end and ends at the beginning. I'd like to know what happens in the beginning that makes the world like this.... :?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:44 pm

Battle Programmer Shirase
the next one will be one of: air gear (not likely), ergo proxy, noien, shuffle and those who hunt elves
it'll probably be decided by what reviews i hear/what i see about them on wikipedia. and yes, when i watch anime at home, i watch it in series.
then again, i probably wont' be watching much due to exams and the impending release of the english patch for utawarerumono (all of the script is translated, the images still need to be modified)
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:23 am

(mad) wrote:Battle Programmer Shirase

This show made me look over my shoulder to see if anyone was going to catch me watching it. In much the same way as watching the Sky Girls oav makes me want to. For many of the same reasons.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:50 am

Mappy wrote:
(mad) wrote:Battle Programmer Shirase

This show made me look over my shoulder to see if anyone was going to catch me watching it. In much the same way as watching the Sky Girls oav makes me want to. For many of the same reasons.

Hmm.

I must investigate. 8)

edit: A hax0r working for the good of mankind you say? With the aid/hinderance/whatever of at least two minderjährigen mädchen?... :)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by (mad) » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:00 pm

i admit it has a lot of suss things happening, but it can be rather entertaining if somewhat impossible.
then again, some of the abilities that BPS has would be awesome, even if i'd need to get myself 5 more keyboards...
(mad)
180 Proof

by Cannabusted » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:31 pm

Tenjho Tenge box set
Final Fantasy Unlimited box set
and what ever shows pop up on foxtel
PYAH4mayr
JQEOXH4rqs
AMLCBLXM
Cannabusted
Forced Meme

by Xenesis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:07 pm

I realised that I had Ergo Proxy on my hard drive.

I've been watching it bit by bit.

Also, Higurashi Kai whenever a new episode appears.
Xenesis

by (mad) » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:47 pm

you realised it? you've had it since your 21st party. i gave it to you because i'd come from a lan, so i had a bunch of stuff
(mad)
180 Proof

by Xenesis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:33 pm

I know.

I completely forgot that I put it on there. :P
Xenesis

by Psike81 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:25 pm

Lets see mee ...
Gurren Lagann (finish) Claymore (finish) Genshiken 2 (ep 1) ... and more to go .

Psike81

by Madman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:45 pm

Chocotto Sister and Kodomo No Jikan of course, what else?
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Bazza » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:41 am

As it stands:

Zero no Tsukaima,
Blue Drop,
Stopped watching Higurashi II in anticipation of it's appearance on our playlist,
iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia,
Gave up on Kodomo no Jikan anime. Waiting for the DVD release,
Still haven't watched Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Strikers 26 yet (shakes fist at intertubes),
Picked up Gauken Utopia Manabi Straight,
Shakugan no Shana II.

8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:15 am

Bazza wrote:Still haven't watched Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Strikers 26 yet (shakes fist at intertubes),

Don't know why you wouldn't have, since it has been available for weeks.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:19 am

Mappy wrote:Don't know why you wouldn't have, since it has been available for weeks.

>>(shakes fist at intertubes)

Dial-up internet makes torrenting very hard. I can either surf the web, or torrent. And being the hikkokikori that I am, I spent most of the day surfing.

I get my full speed back at 12:01 tomorrow morning. I have something like 100 torrents ready to go. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:25 am

Well, if you hadn't been into so much bazzatry in your time, you might have found that one of the many people who have already watched it, here, would have provided you with the opportunity before your internets got its act back together. Karma is a wonderful thing, eh? 8)

By the way.... talking about the actual downloading of anime is generally b& here. Cheers. :wink:
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Madman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:35 am

Bazza wrote:As it stands:
Picked up Gauken Utopia Manabi Straight,
Shakugan no Shana II.
8)

Yay!! Manabi straight is awesome! Made me want to go back to high school... :D
Shana = minderjährigen mädchen = win.
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman

by Bazza » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:46 am

Mappy wrote:Well, if you hadn't been into so much bazzatry in your time, you might have found that one of the many people who have already watched it, here, would have provided you with the opportunity before your internets got its act back together. Karma is a wonderful thing, eh? 8)

I don't have anything of value to other people so I don't ask for anything. Equivalent exchange mate. 8)

edit: Also, how would I get it home? No-one will give me a DVD because they know they will never get a blank one back.

No, I don't believe in the kindness of others. 8)

Mappy wrote:By the way.... talking about the actual downloading of anime is generally b& here. Cheers. :wink:

edit²: Actually, I get what you mean now. Talk of the show is fine. Just talking about where you got it isn't. Amirite?

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by IceLee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:57 pm

I get anime from others Baz, even though I havent been able to give them copies (as Bigpond sucks, like everyone knows, and I am not sure how much GB is my plan on etc - I wish my nanna and pop did tell me those details, I have to go to vodafone with pop asap now cause I need my sim password and it's in his name... der. They said I need it because I have to upgrade my sim because somehow it's a bit behind with the times aka my phone.)
IceLee

by Cannabusted » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:55 pm

Madman wrote:minderjährigen mädchen = win.

I like the way you think...
PYAH4mayr
JQEOXH4rqs
AMLCBLXM
Cannabusted
Forced Meme

by Madman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:16 pm

Cannabusted wrote:
Madman wrote:minderjährigen mädchen = win.

I like the way you think...

I like the way i think! :D
Madman

by (mad) » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:00 pm

If you tried that around any of the minderjährigen mädchen that i know, you'd end up in much pain. :P
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:33 am

Play nice, people, or you'll face the Mappyedit of Doom.

Remember thread purpose: What are YOU watching at the moment? Why? What do you think of the shows?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: What are you watching at the moment?

by Mappy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:43 pm

Mushishi
Kamichu!
Noein
Simoun
Gankutsuou
Seirei no Moribito
Ergo Proxy
Soukou no Strain
Potemayo
Code Geass
Rah-Xephon
Innocent Venus
Gungrave
Nodame Cantabile
Good Witch of the West
Mahoraba - Heartful Days
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
Ghost Hunt
Red Garden
Heroic Age
GateKeepers
Aria the Natural
Asatte no Houko
Welcome to the NHK
Solty Rei
Windy Tales
Yume Tsukai
Aria the Animation
Coyote Ragtime Show
Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Aria the OVA - Arietta
Zero no Tsukaima
Gun X Sword
Gilgamesh
Sci Fi Harry
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Honey & Clover
Rozen Maiden Ouverture
Honey & Clover II
Karin
Kagihime Monogatari Eikyuu Alice Rondo
Magical Pokan
Rozen Maiden
Utawarerumono
Strawberry Panic
Ai Yori Aoshi
Matantei Loki - Ragnarok
Kanon (2002)
Muteki Kanban Musume
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo
Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto
Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
Piano
Zero no Tsukaima - Futatsuki no Kishi
Ai Yori Aoshi - Enishi
Black Cat
Nanaka 6/17
Narue no Sekai
Trouble Chocolate
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:33 pm

Death Note since someone at work mentioned him. Light makes any other villian look pointless. He is the ultimate male one. Still haven't found a villianess that comes anywhere close to Maestro Delphine from Last Exile, either.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:49 pm

I place Light/Kira on the same level as Lelouch/Zero. Both are manipulative brats who think they're doing the world a favour by their actions, both have been given a power with which to achieve their goals, both have an overinflated belief in their own abilities and both succumb to megalomania once they have a few moments of apparent success. Light was brought down, and we can only hope Lelouch meets a similar fate. Trouble is I'd rather see Suzaku have a worse fate than Lelouch....

As for a villainess.... I'm having trouble thinking of one that isn't given at least a small modicum of sympathetic treatment by the producers. Delphine is one of the very few who could be described as utterly unsympathetic....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Makoto? Not sure if he really counts as a villain but he certainly doesn't have any lifelines left.

Anyway, currently watching:
Hidamari Sketch (It's like a really awesome acid trip),
Slowly getting through iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia,
Blue Drop (En taro Adun, executor.),
Bible Bla-ke (yay Mako-chan!)
School Days no Shana II,
and Koharubiyori.

8)

Also, I think Light lost the moral high ground in his plot when he killed the police/FBI doods. Enemies of Light or not, they weren't criminals. They probably had families too, etc.

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Phill » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:32 pm

Also, I think Light lost the moral high ground in his plot when he killed the police/FBI doods. Enemies of Light or not, they weren't criminals. They probably had families too, etc.

But he still has that "I can kill you just by looking at you" kind of coolness. :)

At the moment i'm not watching anything outside of AJAS, but when i get the chance...

Full Metal Alchemist (Need to watch the last 2 DVD's)
Cowboy Beebop
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Shakugan no Shana II
Freedom (Want to watch all of them in one sitting, and i've only seen 3 out of 6? so far)
Phill
Needs Moar Desu

by Atory » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:34 pm

Phill wrote:But he still has that "I can kill you just by looking at you" kind of coolness. :)

If he knows your name. :lol:

Lulu can make you kill yourself or others just by looking at you. :wink:
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Phill » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Atory wrote:
Phill wrote:But he still has that "I can kill you just by looking at you" kind of coolness. :)

If he knows your name. :lol:

Lulu can make you kill yourself or others just by looking at you. :wink:

Good point there. :)
Phill
Needs Moar Desu

by Bazza » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Atory wrote:Lulu can make you kill yourself or others just by looking at you. :wink:

Pfft, I've got that power as well. 'Tis nothing special.

ZOMFGWTFBBQ, 1,000 posts. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Atory » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:57 pm

No... You don't even have to look at them. :P
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Phill » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:50 pm

Atory wrote:No... You don't even have to look at them. :P

They only have to look at you. :lol:
Phill
Needs Moar Desu

by Last Exile » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:27 am

But that was the whole point to Light. He chooses to do something he believes to be just which definitely isn't. He lets his family and friends have faith or trust in him that he's on their side while he's truly rubbing their face in it and then some. But he doesn't have a complete absence of empathy so he isn't truly evil, because for being a complete illegitim who kills anyone who gets in his way, is a means to an end or potentially compromising, he's still driven by justice. So there's a little part of him that is, well not likeable, but you can kind of understand where he's coming from. He isn't truly despicable. Completely sociopathic and devoid of morality, yes. The way he weaves a lie to lure someone into a fatal trap, the way he dodges one catastrophic scenario after another, the fact he never, ever gives up. It's very damn hard to be entralled by someone that despicable. For a series to be that heavily reliant on such a character and work for the greater part is credit to his value as a character.

Lelouch...the main difference with him is he's still somwhat of a hero. Light is a true anti-hero. Both are bratty, egotistical, driven by justice and scheming. But Lelouch still has some morals, compassion, people he cares about (his sister, C.C.). Light is completely devoid of such qualities. Lelouch comes off a bit soft and ranting in comparison to Light, who just provides delicious moments one after the next, making you feel guilty for giving him any credence yet you can't help but give him some. Lelouch requires other people to get him through, he's not the sole driving force of Code Geass. Light is the sole driving force of Death Note and does it in style. As for the bit about bringing them down, well, there's a problem there. Light was always destined to be brought down eventually. That was the thrill of it all, seeing him evade that much and live on until he finally got bested. However, anyone with a brain in their head could see Light losing was the best thing for the world. Whereas Lelouch losing isn't really the best thing for the world. He's shaken things up and given the people belief. Lelouch is a viable alternative somewhat whereas Light is anything but. Even if Lelouch is kind of mürrisch. Actually, wait a second, not we want an mürrisch ruling the world. Besides, even from the magazine art it's clear C.C. wears the pants in that relationship. :roll:

Continuing Death Note rewatch. After that...er...what else is actually gonna work on my time paradox of a computer? -_- Um....might be about time I watched Honey & Clover, could use a decent shoujo seires after watching so much shounen.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by (mad) » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:49 pm

i'm slowly getting through ergo proxy. i'd go faster, but i have little free time
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:15 am

(mad) wrote:i'm slowly getting through ergo proxy. i'd go faster, but i have little free time

:!: That's what I forgot to finish! Damn, thanks Aaron! That will definitely be one to finish by Christmas.

It's probably a good thing to watch it slowly for the first time. There are a lot of subtleties to it. So it pays to take notice rather than rush it.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:45 am

Oddly enough, I picked out pretty much all the subtleties and plot in a single sit-through. Ergo Proxy wasn't anywhere near as complicated as it tries to make out it is. And it suffers from anime ending syndrome, unfortunately. Maybe the scriptwriters were rushed, or something, or they were given three fewer episodes to work with than normal (Ergo Proxy is only 23 episodes long) but it felt like they were in a hurry to finish things up, regardless of whether it damaged the series or not....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:28 pm

Just saw this on 4chan....

Anonymous wrote:"I had a large american girl run up to me at an airport and began telling me how much she loved my work. At first, I was flattered that I had become known and appreciated outside of Japan. But when she began to explain how she 'understood' [Serial Experiments] Lain and about how the series represented how the Internet was encroaching on American values, I wanted to strike her in disgust." SEL Producer Yasuyuki Ueda, Newtype Japan, 2003

LOL at stupid wee-a-boos. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Mushishi
Kamichu!
Noein
Simoun
Gankutsuou
Seirei no Moribito
Ergo Proxy
Soukou no Strain
Potemayo
Mahou Tsukai Tai
Code Geass
Rah-Xephon
Innocent Venus
GateKeepers
Gungrave
Nodame Cantabile
Good Witch of the West
Mahoraba - Heartful Days
Ghost Hunt
Red Garden
Heroic Age
Akage no Anne
Aria the Natural
Asatte no Houko
Welcome to the NHK
Petopeto-san
Solty Rei
Windy Tales
Yume Tsukai
Aria the Animation
Coyote Ragtime Show
Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Shinigami no Ballad
Aria the OVA - Arietta
Sci Fi Harry
Zero no Tsukaima
Gun X Sword
Gilgamesh
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Honey & Clover
Rozen Maiden Ouverture
Honey & Clover II
Karin
Magical Pokan
Rozen Maiden
Utawarerumono
Strawberry Panic
Ai Yori Aoshi
Matantei Loki - Ragnarok
Kanon (2002)
Muteki Kanban Musume
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo
Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto
Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
Piano
Ai Yori Aoshi - Enishi
Black Cat
Nanaka 6/17
Narue no Sekai
Trouble Chocolate
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Cannabusted » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:38 pm

Burst Angel and Rurouni Kenshin: Wandering Samurai
PYAH4mayr
JQEOXH4rqs
AMLCBLXM
Cannabusted
Forced Meme

by (mad) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:51 pm

i finished watching ergo proxy, which i found to be pretty good. i now want a pino
started on noein. i can't say it's bad so far, but i'm having a lot of trouble getting used to the animation
(mad)
180 Proof

by Atory » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:13 pm

Once the story gets going you soon forget about the animation and it starts to really suit it anyway.

My favourite episode was on ABC2 today.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:21 am

Noein is a great series. The simplistic character designs help make the action sequences work better, considering pretty much all anime is made on a tight budget. Except for Seirei no Moribito.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Jim Woolford » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:03 am

potemayo, hidamari sketch, aria, zero no tsukaima, umisho, tonagura, petopeto-san, lyrical nanoha, magical pokan, high school girls, sakura wars, mahoraba, ah my goddess, idolmaster xenoglossia, you're under arrest and sailormoon. otherwise known as whatever mark can be bothered loading onto the computer for me. :wink:
JTW
Jim Woolford
They call him.... JIM

by Last Exile » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:50 pm

Finally finished watching Ergo Proxy. Freaking awesome series, would put it at #2 on my all-time list. I loved it that much. Only anime series in close to 5 years that kept me that energised and enthralled. Last Exile is still slightly better but Ergo Proxy was a classic for the ages.

To whoever told me the ending sucked - I heavily disagree. It tied in with the aim of the series and its themes. As for whoever told me I only needed Episodes 22 and 23 - from a plot point maybe, but from a thematic, social end, definitely not.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:59 pm

You are the first person I know to have liked the ending. I thought it was okay but it left me expecting more. I think they just started off too strong and didn't hold it to the end. The amount of episodes always left me wondering if the ending was rushed? I think it's a great ending if they are going to have a second series.

I just finished watching Bokurano which kind of left me feeling empty too as not everything was explained thoroughly although it is still a morbidly great series.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:56 pm

Atory wrote:You are the first person I know to have liked the ending. I thought it was okay but it left me expecting more. I think they just started off too strong and didn't hold it to the end. The amount of episodes always left me wondering if the ending was rushed? I think it's a great ending if they are going to have a second series.

I felt the weaker part of the series was in the early stages, actually. I think it took its time to get its momentum but did great once it did. It felt a little dry initially, that Re-l and Vincent were being held back in developing personalities, the commune arc was slightly too long. The animation in those episodes were a bit weaker compared to the rest of the series. After that it was fine.

Ergo Proxy was a series that was designed to have the most impact through the themes it explored and the character development that eventuated from those themes rather than events or the plot. So perhaps one might think it didn't have enough impact or finished abruptly because it didn't seem like enough of a climax or whatever. The way I saw it was - the whole point of the series was to tear apart modern life, society, existence and the individual in as many aspects as possible, see how the individual would cope if life degenerated to the point it had in their world, whether they could embrace the truth of their existence or pretend and live the lie, how they handled the themes explored and how it changed them. Perhaps, in a similar way Samurai Champloo did, one could say that Ergo Proxy was more about the journey itself rather than the beginning and end (note that studio manglobe did both series). So once I got to that way of thinking, what I wanted to see was what themes the series would explore and the changes Vincent and Re-l would go through. I got what I expected come the end of Episode 23, Vincent and Re-l were better people at that point and had learned sufficiently from their experiences to embrace the truth of their existence and move on. I think if you were looking for something event-based or mind-blowing, that's probably why you were disappointed somewhat. If the series was any longer or if there was a sequel series, I would be disappointed because it wouldn't fit in with the purpose of the series.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:03 pm

To each his own and you've got some valid points. The reason I wasn't too fond of it by the end was I initially thought the series would be something original but as it progressed it moved further and further away from it's blend of science and philosophy and ended up focusing too much on the henshin crap which is way too common in anime.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:10 pm

Atory wrote:To each his own and you've got some valid points. The reason I wasn't too fond of it by the end was I initially thought the series would be something original but as it progressed it moved further and further away from it's blend of science and philosophy and ended up focusing too much on the henshin crap which is way too common in anime.

If you're doing a series in an apocalyptic setting, it's hard to be original really. Plus it was trying to still maintain a reasonable amount of grounding in reality. I will admit usually philosophical material really does bore me, particularly the way it was presented in Ghost In The Shell. I found Ergo Proxy different in that at least when it delved into that type of material, there were still things happening. Whereas if that would happen in anything Ghost In The Shell or several other series, it just became static. Nor did it have the wanker factor of loading in too many anicent quotes or biblical references.

Character chemistry was the other major plus in the series for me. You'd think Re-l looking fairly goth and acting very self-absorbed initially compared with Vincent being very timid and initially mürrisch would be too volatile a combo to work. Yet it's their initially volatiliy that graudally mellows to a balance of tension and tenderness. Throw in the random, touching, hilarious Pino and you've got a great mix. Its other strength character-wise was it's not loaded with the stock standards of anime characters. It didn't need a moe, an over-the-top one, a cheap character, a sugar character - their characterisations were believable and evolved more each episode. By the end, Vincent isn't someone to be pushed around and doesn't look overly sullen while Re-l isn't constantly stone-cold anymore and she respects other people.

I can understand that Vincent's 'transforming' might seem a little overdone at times, but I wouldn't go as far as to label it as typical crap though. One of the cores themes of Ergo Proxy is the dual nature of people, their eternal struggle between both sides. It was also a pretty important issue for Re-l, just from the conflicting colours of her skin and clothes you can see that struggle. I thought it was relevant and it wasn't something that required a corny transformation sequence or a silly line. I didn't really consider it henshin. But each to their own.

I always get hammered for liking Last Exile, I'm prepared to cop it for Ergo Proxy too.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:48 am

Last Exile wrote:I always get hammered for liking Last Exile, I'm prepared to cop it for Ergo Proxy too.

Both series are well produced messes, assuredly, but at no point did Ergo Proxy not make sense. To me, at least.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:03 pm

i can't say i particularly liked last exile, i guess it wasn't my kind of anime.
on the other hand, i really quite enjoyed ergo proxy. i have to admit though, my favourite character is pino. if we ever develop robots like the ones in ergo proxy, i'll be the one who unleashes cogito on the world, just to see if i could get a pino out of it :D
(mad)
180 Proof

by (mad) » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:45 pm

i just watched paprika, that movie was full of crazy awesom goodnes, though my lappie isn't quite fast enough to play it properly, at times.
i also finished watching noein. it was pretty good, but not quite as good as i got the impression it'd be. nice, but not quite my sort of thing, at times

next up is one of: shuffle!, those who hunt elves and air gear. my choice may be influenced by whether i'm in the mood for fanservice or not
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:41 am

@mad: You and I both appreciate the crazy awesome goodness of Paprika. ;) Whereas the 'thing' of Noein is more Atory/Mappy material. As for your next series - I think all 3 involve those criteria. :P

Speaking of which - I need another series. One that runs properly. -_-
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:29 am

Paprika is my material too... Hello, trippy scheiße! My first anime movie was a Satoshi Kon.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:02 am

Last Exile wrote:Speaking of which - I need another series. One that runs properly. -_-

Considering the only pc in your house has the stamp of matriarchal domination on it, your options are limited as an increasing number of shows are only being put out in mkv/h264 format.

Someone should give you the Studio 4c playlist, if you think Satoshi Kon is weird. You haven't seen anything, yet....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am

Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Geass, Shana, Claymore - 15 second lag between sound and picture. -_- Welcome to the NHK - no delay. NHK it is.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Yep, those people. I'm surprised they weren't involved with Kemonozume, because it certainly seems their thing.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Mappy wrote:Yep, those people. I'm surprised they weren't involved with Kemonozume, because it certainly seems their thing.

Guess what I happen to be watching now?
I was wondering who did Spriggan. "Beyond" in the Animatrix was awesome. Now I have to hunt down all their stuff!
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:16 am

I read an interview with Studio 4C back in 2004. Yeah, they're a bit left of centre.

NHK 1-10: Looks like I made another good choice, so freaking awesome. Either laughing in a very twisted way, cringing or swooning for every moment of this. Aside from some shoddy cels in the first 4 eps and Misaki getting little airtime until Episode 5, can't see anything wrong with this version. It is quite an improvement on the manga original. That ending theme is pure gold. Ababa. :lol:

Main thing I'm liking more in the anime version is that Satou, Yamizaki and Misaki are far more worthy of empathy in this version. In the manga, Yamazaki was far more twisted in his views on women (that scene where he went hensei and dragged Satou into that mode made me cringe), Satou is just cruder and colder in general and there's too many uberfreak faces he pulls there too, Misaki is more twisted and kind of destroys any trust she generates with that. Whereas in the anime, Satou still has that coldness around him but at least his delusions are far less unhealthy and he at least looks somewhat normal, Yamizaki is actually very committed to his goals and rants less about others being to blame (except for when it concerns women) :wink: and Misaki - cute doesn't do her enough justice in the anime version. It's not like she's completely pure, not at all. But that she has good, genuine intentions and is very upfront with what she thinks and feels. And she is just so full of kawaii win. That and everything that leads up to the revelation of her true self is built up far better in this version. Not that it wasn't apparent in the manga, it was, but its impact was weaker. I'd have to say this is definitely one of the best manga to anime conversions ever done.

Edit: Due to a traumatic experience an Ouran fangirl gave me minutes ago, once I am done with NHK, I am DEFINITELY watching Simoun! Unless anyone else can suggest something else overflowing with females, has solid character cast, has unique/enthralling story and some /u/. Note emphasis on /u/.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by edible_hat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:25 pm

I'm watching Planetes (got the DVD set for Christmas, Candice has already watched the whole lot while I was at work). Will soon watch a live action drama/satire called Food Fight, apparently it's about a syndicate that bet on illegal eating competitions.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Mappy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Updating my ranking of things I've watched of recent. Completed shows in red.

Mushishi
Kamichu!
Noein
Simoun
Zettai Shonen
Gankutsuou
Seirei no Moribito
Potemayo
Ergo Proxy
Kemonozume
Soukou no Strain
Mahou Tsukai Tai
Code Geass
Mahoraba - Heartful Days
Rah-Xephon
Innocent Venus
GateKeepers
Hidamari Sketch
Kanon (2006)
Gungrave
Nodame Cantabile
Good Witch of the West
Ghost Hunt
Paradise Kiss
iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia
Kimagure Orange Road
Red Garden
Heroic Age
Akage no Anne
Aria the Natural
Asatte no Houko
Welcome to the NHK
Touka Gettan
Petopeto-san
Brigadoon - Marin to Meran
Solty Rei
Windy Tales
Yume Tsukai
Aria the Animation
Coyote Ragtime Show
Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Shinigami no Ballad
Aria the OVA - Arietta
Sci Fi Harry
Zero no Tsukaima
Gun X Sword
Gilgamesh
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Honey & Clover
Rozen Maiden Ouverture
Honey & Clover II
Karin
El Cazador de la Bruja
Magical Pokan
Rozen Maiden
Utawarerumono
Strawberry Panic
Ai Yori Aoshi
Kamisama Kazoku
Kannaduki no Miko
Matantei Loki - Ragnarok
Ai Yori Aoshi - Enishi
Kanon (2002)
Muteki Kanban Musume
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo
Giniro no Olynssis
Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
Piano
Black Cat
Nanaka 6/17
Narue no Sekai
Trouble Chocolate

Opinion of recently completed

Sci Fi HARRY
Now we know why there are emos in this world: secret societies have been creating them as weapons against the rest of us.

Animators: "Oh wait.... Now we remember what this show was about, 11 episodes in...." At least this show have us Agnes, who somehow replaced Louise and Saito as this series' main character.

Trouble Chocolate
This show is 20 episodes long. That's 21 episodes too long.

Ai Yori Aoshi - Enishi
For a harem show, that I usually feel great pleasure in deriding, I'll miss it and its characters. It was a great brain-relaxer between more dramatic shows....

Mahoraba - Heartful Days
....Which applies in spades to this series. Cute, funny and with awesomely eccentric characters like Tamami and Bucho..... :)

Ghost Hunt
Fairly decent series, though leaving a lot of things unexplained at the end. More like a collection of serials involving the same characters, two of which were quite good, the rest less so....

Karin
Fanservice series with great wasted potential. Inclusion of irritating western stereotype character not seen in the manga should be an excuse for a public flogging.

Mahou Tsukai Tai OAV
Contained far more fanservice than I remember. Liked the show in 1997 and still like it now.

Shinigami no Ballad
Slow, measured and certainly not AJAS playlist material. Can only be described as minor fail, though not a bad series. Certainly better than the major fail of the live-action.

Potemayo
Greatest series ever. Ever. Ever. More drama, violence, vulgarisms, plot and semiotic depth than any 12 episode series deserves. I'm not lying. Though I might be slightly drunk....

Kanon (2002)
You spend half the series going "wtf" as they try to explain the various stories of all the girls in the space of 13 episodes. Watch as much slicing and dicing of sense and meaning occurs. Quite sad, at times. Animation was pretty poor, though. Yuuichi, the main character, who looks like a real person in the 2006 KyoAni version is just a disturbingly misshapen blob of paint in this one....

Malice@Doll
OMGWTFBBQ did I even watch something like this? Humanity dies out, leaving their hookerbots behind.... Too vile and artsy for hentai and too CG for its own good.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Cannabusted » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:54 pm

DBZ re-runs on CN, [AS] has left...
PYAH4mayr
JQEOXH4rqs
AMLCBLXM
Cannabusted
Forced Meme

by Dhumahn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Mappy wrote:Mahoraba - Heartful Days
....Which applies in spades to this series. Cute, funny and with awesomely eccentric characters like Tamami and Bucho..... :)

Can we see this on the playlist sometime??
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:49 pm

Finished four more shows....

This series was more complicated than it needed to be, but then, the whole plot element of characters travelling between worlds, contained in books within a vast library, makes this a kind of perverse internal logic, especially when the timeline is jumbled the way it is within episodes. Combine this with typical Carnelian H-Game fanservice (and Carnelian push the limits of what is able to be shown on commercial television) and bucketloads of Shoujoai/Yuri relationships, and you have a show destined to be voted off at the AJAS episode 5 voteoff. What is worse is that episode 5 is just about the worst episode in the series, so no surprises there. Fortunately, if you persist, it all makes sense in the end. Trouble is, I'm quite sure the last thing a lesbian wants to hear from the girl she loves, one that she has pursued across whole worlds for who knows how long, suffering hardships and dangers just to find her, is that she is going to be rejected in favour of her quarry going back to the universal library, whilst dumping her back in a facsimile of the world she came from, making her forget everything she felt about her long-sought love, after telling her that, one day, she is going to become her daughter. Hetero End. 7/10

A 2006 series, forgotten under the weight of much better shows. Girls fight each other, putting their own personal life stories on line, down to the last girl, in the hope of creating, from the collected stories, the third Alice novel (as in Alice in Wonderland / Alice Through the Looking Glass) called The Eternal Alice. Lots of magic girls are left decerebrated, soulless wrecks afterwards, though we don't get to see the results. The main characters are decerebrated, soulless wrecks to begin with, so it makes little difference. They're also as cliche' as they come.... 1) Boring, bland main male character, 2) his incest-driven little sister, 3) her stalker-lesbian best friend, 4) the mysterious large-chested woman who transforms into minderjährigen mädchen magic girl and 5) the girl with no past whose name is Alice. This show needed persisting with, and eventually paid off, as the conclusion managed to wrap things up nicely without it being a sugary sweet ending. Unfortunately, it paid off within 12 episodes of a 13 episode series. Episode 13 might as well be forgotten as it is more of a mindless postscript to the rest of the series. 5/10

Nodame Cantabile
The Honey & Clover production crew make amends. Won't say too much about this one, as AJAS is still watching it. Biggest downside: mürrisch Nodame near the end. 8/10

Good Witch of the West - Astraea Testament
This should've been one of the best shows of 2006. Decent animation and music combined with a well set-up fantasy world and interesting characters. Unfortunately, it seems they had to cut a lot to fit it into 13 episodes. As such, everything played off as if none of the characters actually believed in half the things they would spout about the mores, laws and politics of the nation of Grale. All the dire warnings of punishment for heresies, all the threats of violence and murder from secret societies.... when it came to the crunch, the characters just, ultimately, didn't seem all that fussed about it, things then happened without much cost, and then The End. Also, the series seemed to meander without any real plot point winning out. At first it seemed to be the story of a young girl, touched by the sin of heresy, becoming the candidate for the Queen. Then it became a girls' school murder mystery. Then it became a melodrama about intrigue at the royal court. Then it became a tale of dragon-hunting, military invasion and the apocalyptic destruction of the nation for whatever reason the reigning Queen seemed to have for bringing down such a disaster. And none of these seemed to connect in any way, other than they all contained the same characters in a consecutive pattern, as if the producers were making it all up as they went along. Considering this is based on a manga, which was based on a series of light novels, it's enough to make you cringe. 6/10
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by bloopletech » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Hey,

I watched Spirited Away last night on SBS - it is awesome - but completely nuts at the same time. I'm also trying to find a stream of Eiken Ep 2 - anyone knoe where to find one? I don't really want to waste 350MB on that. I gotta watch more!
Blog: http://blog.bloople.net
The best part of When Seagulls Cry is where Maria gets slapped in the face.
bloopletech

by Amott » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Mappy wrote:
Animators: "Oh wait.... Now we remember what this show was about, 11 episodes in...." At least this show have us Agnes, who somehow replaced Louise and Saito as this series' main character.

I lol'd. Yep, that was too true about the second series. Although episode six gave me some faith in Ayako Kawasumi's voice acting ability post-Mahoromatic-- wait, shouldn't Fate/Stay Night have done that?

Currently watching:
- They Are My Noble Masters (plot with equal amounts of fanservice)
- Clannad (which, as per usual, Kyoto Animation cocked up)
- Spice and Wolf
- ARIA The Origination
Amott

by Bazza » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Yay fresh meat :devil:

bloopletech wrote:Hey,

I watched Spirited Away last night on SBS - it is awesome - but completely nuts at the same time. I'm also trying to find a stream of Eiken Ep 2 - anyone knoe where to find one? I don't really want to waste 350MB on that. I gotta watch more!

//Whoops, I appear to have edited this post a tad severely.//

//I shall defeat you, evil boss!//

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by bloopletech » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Hey,

I will be sure to. I've been coming along to AJAS for a few weeks now - except for the second Tue of each month, becuase Ruby on Rails meetings are on that night (I'm a sftware dev by trade).

I happened on Eiken from a post on 4chan - I loved it, although the 11 year old kid was over the top (kinda literally I suppose).

I've just realised recently that everyhting I've seen from Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, less so in Howl's Moving Castle, my neighbour totoro [I didn't realise it was one for the kiddies when I got it from the video store]) are all seriously fu**ed up. I love them - the catbus is awesome - but they are some of the wierdest anime I've ever seen. Anyone have comments on that? I think any Studio Ghibli move would be awesome if you were high though, and the expressions on the characters are awesome. Esepcially the kid's dad in spirited away - his whole look is like "I rip apart cars with my teeth for a living" - kind of anti-stereotypical for Japan.
bloopletech

by Last Exile » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:23 pm

2/3rds of the way through rewatching Trigun.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:19 am

By the way.

I had Eiken on my portable ready for the exchange but bloopletech never showed up?

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Psike81 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:23 am

Code Geass R2 , ep 1 ... :woot: :woot:

Psike81

by Cannabusted » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:15 pm

the blinking LED's on my pc case.
PYAH4mayr
JQEOXH4rqs
AMLCBLXM
Cannabusted
Forced Meme

by Last Exile » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:04 pm

@Paul: So are Pizza Butt and Bunny Booty still alive? (They were the only two reasons I watched the show) Spoiler tag a reply to whoever gives it.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by (mad) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:17 am

finished watching air gear on the weekend, am now watching shuffle!.
it's very obvious that shuffle! was based on an h-game
(mad)
180 Proof

by Dhumahn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:16 pm

(mad) wrote:it's very obvious that shuffle! was based on an h-game

I know. I've played it. 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Cannabusted » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Just finished watching the GANTZ box set.
PYAH4mayr
JQEOXH4rqs
AMLCBLXM
Cannabusted
Forced Meme

by gungonX » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:31 pm

I'm currently watching Berserk, love the outtakes. :lol:
gungonX

by Bazza » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm

gungonX wrote:I'm currently watching Berserk, love the outtakes. :lol:

Not much has changed since last time, but I did happen across Today in Class 5-2. I can't believe I haven't already watched this.

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:16 am

Delayed development is a terrible thing. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:04 am

Now that the new month has arrived (Telstra seems to believe the 15th means new month for some reason) I have picked up the following titles.

Kanokon
Kurenai
Mnemosyne (I would guess this won't be played here any more due to the abundant PROMOTIONS?)
Nabari no
xxxHOLiC Kei.

:)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Pirate Man » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:07 pm

I love the manga, they turned the guro manga into a harem manga in one fell swoop.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by bloopletech » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Hey, turns out a manga I've been reading has been turned into an anime (I might be behind the curve here, the first few eps have been broadcast!). It's called Kanokon - if you haven't seen it, you can get an idea from the scanlations at http://www.mangaworld.org/projects/kanokon.html (warning: fox girls). I must say that it is PRETTY AWESOME. Maybe we can play it at some point. Anyone like/hate it?
bloopletech

by Dhumahn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:59 pm

bloopletech wrote:Hey, turns out a manga I've been reading has been turned into an anime (I might be behind the curve here, the first few eps have been broadcast!). It's called Kanokon - Maybe we can play it at some point.

One word for you:

NO!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Bazza » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:01 am

I'd say something along the lines of "blutig furries!" but I just remembered I'm watching Kanokon too. :oops:

10% rule!

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by bloopletech » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:58 pm

Yeah, I made that post before I realised how much fanservice Kanokon has, perhaps not suited to public viewing <_<. I think Anime News Network underrated it though - the complaints they have would seem to also apply to very popular series like Love Hina (which used to be my favourite). Wonder how popular it'll be?

I'm not a furry though - catgirls etc. always seemed a bit weird to me. It seems to work though in Kanokon.
bloopletech

by Dhumahn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:52 pm

Yes, considering episode 3 alone has generous helpings of "spanking" 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by bloopletech » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:05 pm

I know - just finished watching it :twisted: I wonder how ling it'll be before the finally 'mate' - as we all know, the human mating season is all year round :D
bloopletech

by Dhumahn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Who knows... this show has no shame!!!
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by gungonX » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:11 pm

Bazza wrote:

Not much has changed since last time, but I did happen across Today in Class 5-2. I can't believe I haven't already watched this.

Sorry about that. I've only just recently became aware of Berserk.

Mappy wrote:Delayed development is a terrible thing. 8)

I've kept my anime viewing to only a few select animes.

Pirate Man wrote:

I love the manga, they turned the guro manga into a harem manga in one fell swoop.

I agree the manga adaption is really fun to read! Not to mention it extends beyond the anime. Which is awesome. I'm up to Volume 31.
gungonX

by Bazza » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am

Nabari no Ou.

It's what would happen if Naruto and Bleach produced offspring. With extra handlungen einer schwuchtel to please the SasuNaru fangirls. :respect:

Stupid androgynous ninja.

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:12 am

Halfway through rewatching Elfen Lied. Despite what some of you may think about this series, I freaking love it and find it far more enthralling than the rest in its genre. Higarushi is okay but Elfen Lied moves me far more and always was a privilege to watch. Higurashi is capable of frustrating me as much as it can satisfy me.

Think I'd better put Elfen Lied back in my top 3 after it's clear I still like it as much as I did 4 years ago.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by ~shinigami~ » Sun May 04, 2008 5:28 pm

Hey everyone, newbie here. ^^"

I'm currently watching:

• Bleach
• Naruto Shippuuden
• Macross Frontier
• Code Geass R2
• Itazura na Kiss

After 2 years of being outta the anime loop, I'm finally rediscovering the joy that is anime. ^o^
~shinigami~

by Mappy » Thu May 08, 2008 1:22 am

Updated list of what I'm watching, in some vague order of preference.

Zettai Shonen
Kemonozume
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Seirei no Moribito
Dennou Coil
Myself; Yourself
Rah-Xephon
Sketchbook - full color'S
Kanon (2006)
Paradise Kiss
iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia
El Cazador de la Bruja
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
Suzuka
Earth Girl Arjuna
GateKeepers
Mushiuta
Akage no Anne
Brigadoon - Marin to Meran
Giniro no Olynssis
Super GALS Kotobuki Ran
Kimagure Orange Road
Matantei Loki - Ragnarok
Gun X Sword
Kannaduki no Miko
Touka Gettan

And an updated list of what I've watched in the last couple of years.... Ditto.

Mushishi
Kamichu!
Noein
Simoun
Gankutsuou
Mind Game
Potemayo
Ergo Proxy
Soukou no Strain
Mahou Tsukai Tai
Code Geass
Mahoraba - Heartful Days
Innocent Venus
Heroic Age
Hidamari Sketch
Gungrave
Nodame Cantabile
Tokyo Marble Chocolate
Good Witch of the West
Ghost Hunt
Red Garden
Aria the Natural
Asatte no Houko
Welcome to the NHK
Petopeto-san
Solty Rei
Tales from Earthsea
Windy Tales
Yume Tsukai
Aria the Animation
Coyote Ragtime Show
The Strange Story of a Dream Sphere Dealer
Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Shinigami no Ballad
Aria the OVA - Arietta
Sci Fi Harry
Hotori - Tada Saiwai no Koinegau
Zero no Tsukaima
Gilgamesh
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Honey & Clover
Rozen Maiden Ouverture
Honey & Clover II
Karin
Kamisama Kazoku
Magical Pokan
Rozen Maiden
Plastic Little
Utawarerumono
Strawberry Panic
Ai Yori Aoshi
Ai Yori Aoshi - Enishi
Kanon (2002)
Muteki Kanban Musume
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo
Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto
Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
Piano
Black Cat
Hoshizora Kiseki
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru
Kanashimi no Belladonna
Chikyuu ga Ugoita Hi
Ar Tonelico
Nanaka 6/17
Narue no Sekai
Malice@Doll
Trouble Chocolate
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu May 08, 2008 1:35 am

Rewatching the 26 episodes of Death note. Yes, I Ignore the Near arc. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by nhembeo » Thu May 08, 2008 10:55 pm

Nodame Cantabile:X
Perfect girl evolution
Honey and clover:"P
Love some1 till death>:)
nhembeo

by Last Exile » Fri May 09, 2008 10:08 am

Mappy, tell me what to watch next. I can't figure out what I haven't watched yet to watch.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Fri May 09, 2008 10:39 am

I'm finally watching the end of NANA (I wonder when season 2 will come out). Also catching up on playlist items.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Bazza » Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Just watched episode 4 of Mnemosyne.

THAT MUST HAVE HURT LIKE A hündin :ouch:

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by bloopletech » Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 pm

I'm also watching these anime at the moment:
* Gunslinger Girl
* Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu

Turns out my local video store (Alpha Video) has tons of Madman anime. It's like heaven!
bloopletech

by Mappy » Tue May 20, 2008 5:13 am

Bazza wrote:Just watched episode 4 of Mnemosyne.

THAT MUST HAVE HURT LIKE A be-atch :ouch:

Which? The going through the jet engine, or the fact that her now shredded body would then plummet to the ground and go splat?

Yeah, that'd probably hurt like hell.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Tue May 20, 2008 8:36 am

The jet engine. Her body parts would be so small their terminal velocity would be so low, hitting the ground would be an ant bite in comparison.

8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Dhumahn » Tue May 20, 2008 8:47 am

It's raining blood, halleluyah it's raining blood...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Tue May 20, 2008 5:31 pm

Higurashi 1st season episode 21. Now THAT was brilliant. Still waiting for season 2 to reach such heights.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed May 21, 2008 8:24 pm

A few short lines on shows I've recently watched / am watching:

Seirei no Moribito
You can swim in the visuals, and the stand-alone episodes are really good, but the overall plot could have been made simpler if people of importance actually bothered to talk to each other. And even despite this, I never got the impression that anyone was in any real peril at any stage.

Rah-Xephon
The show that does its level best to throw a hissy fit on Der Krieg's stage. Superior in almost every way to The War. The ending even doesn't make any more sense than The War's.

Gun x Sword
Moments of thematic awesomeness combined with moments of sheer, unmitigated bollocks. The lone wanderer cliches were practically fossilised when Trigun threw Vash the Stampede into the role. Van, who looks vaguely like Spike Spiegel gone a bit wrong, has some basic character traits that never change, regardless of whatever happens. In fact, very few of the characters actually develop in the series. The most interesting ones are the villains, who are all seriously ill in the head.

Matantei Loki Ragnarok
26 episodes leads to not much in the way of resolution.... Loki and the other gods are still living on the Earth with Loki not having resolved (unsurprisingly) his issues with Odin. Considering we're introduced to a new character from the manga in the final seconds of the final episode, this makes the show look as much an advertisement for said manga as the Berserk anime does. Just not as successful. On almost every level. An amusing diversion, not much more.

Giniro no Olynssis
There are shows that should never have been made. For the first half this was one of them for me. Then the second half arrived and I actually wanted to know how it ended. Strange how these things happen.

Kannaduki no Miko
Yuri continues its less than successful foray into anime. This show needed to be twice as long to really get something out of the characters (there were far too many, and some spent the series sitting on the sidelines, looking like random character-designer supporting efforts) but 12 episodes was a chore to get through, even when it came to the conclusion, so 24 would probably have killed me.

Kemonozume
I enjoyed this little foray into horror comedy, though even my willing suspension of disbelief was challenged by the final few episodes as the villain went into full, near-unkillable crazy bastige mode. Oh, and it has the ugliest character designs in tv anime history, though they fit in with the show....

GateKeepers
Amazing how Gonzo can keep screwing up shows. It's like they have a knack for knowing what not to do, and keep taking that path. GateKeepers was an amusing, high-energy foray into 1960's nostalgia, complete with cliche high school students fighting mysterious beings using magical powers. Then, somewhere along the line, it got all serious and spoilt the fun.

GateKeepers 21
Which is probably intentional, because this was its followup. Set 32 years later, GateKeepers 21 is a show that reminds you how unfun the modern world has become, hammering home the message every few minutes by having horrible things happen to people, and having a misanthropic, father-hating mürrisch girl making a running commentary. Until she gets shot, which is when things get even more serious. This was better than the original by truncating itself to just 6 episodes. Sadly, that wasn't really enough. If GateKeepers should've been half its length, GateKeepers 21 should've been twice as long.

Tekkon Kinkreet
My brain hurts.

Heroic Age
Seriously.... If people can't put up with Gundam 00 and its repeated usage of words like "Celestial Being", they'd probably want to stick a pointy object through their ears with this show, because you can have a drinking game for every time words such as "Nodoss", "contracts" and "labours" are mentioned. At least there won't be a second season with this show. It ended satisfactorily. And I'm sure everyone was so willing to follow Dianeira because she had a nice tail, because, lets face it, until she helped the Argonaut find Age, she really was just a do-nothing princess....

Betterman
Reviewers have said that, even though there are far better anime than Betterman, no anime does "creepy" quite like this one. Betterman is like Gaogaigar and Godannar, just with next to no lighting (ie don't try and watch this from a distance in a well lit room... you'll see nothing), unseen monsters killing people on (or off) the edge of the screen in the aforementioned darkness and lots of creeping psychological horror. The plot and fanservice are also not much better than Gaogaigar or Godannar, but we can't have everything, now can we?.

Sketchbook - full color'S
This show leaves me with a silly :D on my face as I watch it. Sketchbook is what you'd get if the producers of Aria made Hidamari Sketch. Quiet-paced with eccentric characters and lots of cats. Only the cats talk. In Cat-Japanese, no less. Sora, the main character, is like Osaka on valium, almost completely oblivious to anything that doesn't catch her whim. Also stars Kate, the blond Canadian wee-a-boo girl, whose seiyuu manages to mangle both Japanese and English in a way no foreigner in Japan is likely to.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 pm

Matanei Loki Ragnarok was kind of quite, sometimes amusing, a cop-out ending. Introducing 'her' right at the end was not a good idea. The funny thing is, Mappy, the manga is pure merde. So the animation was an improvement.

Noticed a few similarities between that series and Xxxx-holic, now that I think of it.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu May 22, 2008 9:18 am

I prefer Yuuko to Loki, meself. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Sufferes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 8)
I'm the Moustache Maaaaaan!
Sufferes

by Ryan White » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Sufferes wrote:Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 8)

Same here.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Sufferes » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Ryan White wrote:
Sufferes wrote:Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 8)

Same here.

Cool! Which episode are you up to? What do you think of it so far?
Sufferes

by Ryan White » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:37 pm

Episode 15ish. You really have to get used to the fact that brain power isn't needed to watch this series. It's very watchable once you realise there is no intention to be serious.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Sufferes » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Same :)
Sufferes

by Bazza » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Speaking of shows requiring brain in [OFF] mode...

Zero no Tsukaima: Princess no Rondo. scheiße got real with when they became enemies of the state.
Hayate no Gotoku. It's taken me two. blutig. Years. But I'm finally nearing the end.
Strike Witches for the second time with DVD rips. lolnipples.
Hidamari Sketch x365.

Gonna get Toradora because of all the spamming on /a/. Not the first time that place has motivated my acquisitions, either.

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Dhumahn » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Bazza wrote:.
Hayate no Gotoku. It's taken me two. blutig. Years. But I'm finally nearing the end.

...and its not even finished yet :)

Bazza wrote:Strike Witches for the second time with DVD rips. lolnipples.

you mean minderjährigen mädchen (bad madman reference)

Bazza wrote:
Gonna get Toradora because of all the spamming on /a/. Not the first time that place has motivated my acquisitions, either.

So am I, I like the look of this one
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Madman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Did someone say 'minderjährigen mädchen nipples' ??!! :twisted: ..(shuffles strike witches to the top of the must watch list, and readys the pause button). Might be a late one tonight...
Madman

by Dhumahn » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Down boy!!!!

...why did I give him ammunition? :wallbash:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Bazza » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Well actually 9/11 of the 501st score consolation prize or better. The only real washboards are Lucchini and Clostermann. It's all the same to me but it might be off-putting for hardcores like Madman.

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:51 am

Finished Code Geass R2 on Tuesday. Giving both series of CG a 10. Finally giving that raiting to a series other than Last Exile. Thought it would never happen. :)

Watched all 26 episodes of Mushi-shi on Thursday night/Friday morning in a non-stop marathon. Thoroughly enojyed it, giiving it a 9.5. Such a surreal, light, moving, beautiful creation. :)

Watched first five episodes of NANA tonight and...now I understand why you guys voted it off the playlist back in 2006. I think Madhouse really stuffed it up with their interpretation. Animation so oily, seiyuus so out of place (with the exception of Nana's and Yasu's), lack of emphasis on what were supposed to be strong moments. When one is such a fan of the manga and then sees this travesty, it makes me ill. I definitely can't watch anymore of this. On the bright side, at least it isn't as fail as the animted version of Kare Kano. Say...why is it that the really good shoujo mangas get turned into anime drivel in the conversion?! :x

And on Toradora, I'm actually interested in that one.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Last Exile wrote:Watched first five episodes of NANA tonight and...

Lol... Doesn't start until episode 6.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:46 pm

I doubt Episode 6 will change anything when it already makes me want to gouge my eyes out and slash my ears off more than Britney Spears.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:29 am

I felt no such disgust, watching NANA.

However, I've never read the manga.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:46 am

It seems the good shoujo mangas all get mangled in their anime conversion. Kare Kano, Fruits Basket, Nana.

Well, all I know is if the animators in Mushi-shi did such a fantastc job on the animation and background art (that background art is the best I've seen for a series) while using a lesser studio, I don't see why a bigger studio like Madhouse would stuff up the animation side. That oiliness reminds me of every generic kids TV series released in English over the last decade.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Psike81 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:39 pm

Tora Dora! ep1 :lol:
Casshern Sins ep1 :evil:
Kannagi ep1 :?:

Psike81

by Last Exile » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Finished a marathon for Kashimashi - Girl Meets Girl. This was excellent. Definitely in my top 10.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Hence why I have the DVD's :D
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Ah Kashimashi.... The series with the girl that has yurivision.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Isn't it more a shoujo-ai series rather than a yuri series since there wasn't any sex?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Amott » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:20 pm

Just got done watching the first episode of Ga-Rei Zero. This season, I'm also watching Clannad After Story, Kannagi, and two "same ol' shitism" titles (as quoted by the LOVELY people on 4chan.org) featuring the tsundere-only vocal talent of Rie Kugimiya in Toradora and Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka.

As for the first episode of Ga-Rei Zero... verdammt RICKROLL. /khaaaan
Amott

by Bazza » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:03 am

Amott wrote:featuring the tsundere-only vocal talent of Rie Kugimiya in Toradora and Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka.

http://rs58.rapidshare.com/files/152804 ... e_moan.mp3 - Courtesy of Mimi ex Mnemosyne.

I have Toradora in my sights, just waiting for enough episodes to come out to go on a the RIE splurge. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Amott wrote:As for the first episode of Ga-Rei Zero... F U C K ! ! ! RICKROLL. /khaaaan

Oh yeah.... The producers set up a website, proclaiming the plot of the series to be different from the manga, with a whole new cast. They then give designs of the new characters, along with bios. And then the first episode comes out and the entire cast is butchered in the last five minutes.
Bastiges!
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Rewatched Midori no Hibi. Quite an amusing series.

Then I made a monumental mistake in trying Kanon and Air...oh, if only it could be unseen!
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:27 am

Air I can agree with. That left me reaching for the razorblades, it was so monstrously miserable. I didn't like the 2002 version of Kanon, but quite liked the 2006 one. I didn't think that highly of Midori no Hibi, it must be said....

Oh, and the producers of Ga-Rei Zero have pulled a bait-and-switch on the show's website, now listing the usual manga characters as the cast for the series. The cast from the first episode, that they touted as the cast for the series, really are dead, and they're staying that way. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:11 am

(Adds Midori no Hibi to acquisition list)

Regarding Strike Witches:

It may be little more than a lewd, pandering, fanservice anime aimed squarely at nerds and otaku. But damn it if this isn't the most heartwarmingly adorable show I've seen in donkey's years. :)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too