AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

AVCon 2007 Reviews

by Mappy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:52 pm

ITT, peoples' reviews of AVCon 2007. Anyone go to the opening ceremony? Time to tell us what you think. :)

Also, the previous AVCon Bitching thread is here.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:59 pm

Fail. We were told we could collect our passes at the launch ceremony held at Union Hall, but the passes were actually in the Mayo cafe. The sound kept hissing whenever Barron tried to get a movie running, turned out to be faulty equipment provided by AdelUni. Guitar Wolf was cut from the playlist as they never bothered to check overtime penalties for the theatre manager, so they canned the last item on the playlist to ovoid hitting them. Oh, and they played Origins as the movie, which just doomed it to fail anyway.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Psike81 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:02 am

Sounds like another stellar start to AVCON . =^.^=
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Ryan White » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:05 am

I have to admit that it's going to be a lot more convenient just being able to walk in at the start of the morning instead of having to line up for hours just waiting to get my pass. Finally, prereg is faster than just buying when you get there.
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:24 am

Ryan White wrote:I have to admit that it's going to be a lot more convenient just being able to walk in at the start of the morning instead of having to line up for hours just waiting to get my pass. Finally, prereg is faster than just buying when you get there.

And it took them 5 years to realise that?

No wonder we fail compared to the other states.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by IceLee » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:44 am

I was massively disapponted in this year's avcon. Like dave said, the hoodies were late, they was there by 7 45ish pm, we picked our pre reg tickets at 5 30..... tsk tsk. then the animes sucked. they sucked so much that they didnt have subtitles for me! XD well until the film but by then I was a bit too fed up and bored. Techa and Micolous made me step out into the foyer at one point and made me explain to them what happened to the organizing of the pizza's etc. twice.

so yeah big FAIL from me.
IceLee

by Mappy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:58 am

Well, that was just the opening ceremony. With any luck things will get better.

Were there any good things about last night?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:06 am

Sweet and Sour was good. (And it didn't need subtitles because there's no talking)
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Mappy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:16 am

So pretty much everything was in English except that which wasn't in anything. :unsure:

Last Minute Con is Last Minute.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:09 pm

English.....That equals mega fail.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by KittyKat » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:17 pm

I liked bits from both years. I was disappointed I didn't get to test out the Sumo Suits this year, hopefully they are back next year. I enjoyed the Cosplay Chess. Actually I think I liked this year better. :cry: Wish I could have gone on Sunday though, I would love to be there for the Cosplay comp.
KittyKat

by Pirate Man » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:26 am

Well I happened to survive it somehow, luckily the trusty DS Lite is the best way to survive those god awful quiznights.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Rasberry » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:42 am

KittyKat wrote:I liked bits from both years. I was disappointed I didn't get to test out the Sumo Suits this year

I got the ultimate experience last year at waicon, i actually got to run around the con with sumo suits... glomps galore....

the fact that i am still talking about waicon, shows where i stand so far in my reviews for this year!
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by Mappy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:44 am

Having arrived with about 20 minutes to spare for the quiz, I was able to peruse the vendors hall. Not exactly a pretty sight. A few items of attractive value, but for the most part, natch. Same old story of prices being about as expensive as they are in stores, with a few not entirely choice bargain bins of titles that aren't exactly must-have items. Best bet was, as usual, Pulp Fiction. Once more it was the only stall I spent money at. I'll spend more time scrutinising the vendors tomorrow. 20 minutes was not nearly enough time.

Of course, this was followed by everyone being turfed out of the Chillout Room to make way for the Quiz. I wanted to go back in so I could grab both Jim's backpack (which contained unimportant items like cameras with photographs of my old man's wedding earlier in the day) and the light-on-value Con bags we received at the front desk. They didn't want to let me in, at first, but you know.... Not like Mappy is going to start a riot in the middle of the Equinox, so I dashed in to discover Rasberry had all of that covered (including Ryan's goods et al.... This was about the time Ryan was worshipping at the altar of food poisoning....) So we made our way back out and I walked back to the vendors room to find Jim.... Just in time for them to close and force a somewhat largeish group of people into the already-waiting crowd in the small foyer area. Still wearing my coat jacket, things were starting to get a little stuffy amongst the various geeks, emos and bogans. Fortunately, the AJAS/UniSAGA teams had been allocated tables 2 and 3, so we were amongst the first to get out of that particular sardine-tin.

It has to be said, the table we were given didn't exactly suit Ryan's less than healthy state. Needing a quick path to the toilet, there was, instead, a large blockage of seated people around us. It was rather too intimate, to be frank. If I turned to my right, I was facing someone who was sitting at the next table.... right next to me. Ah well....

There were fewer rounds this year (eight) give or take some creative exercises, which weren't exactly exciting. I think our efforts on those rounds reflected a certain boredom, really. Like the drawing we did on the back of the table number card.... A collaborative effort destined to be the first thing turfed by the judges. Phoaquing lulz, though.

The questions were hard, last year, but we dealt with them better, I think. This year they were just.... bad? Probably. The questions on YuGiOh Abridged were like those on Scrubs last year. I'd seen it once, quite a while ago, didn't remember much of it and it was pretty much the same for everyone else at out table. Didn't bother to answer any of those questions. Cult films: answered them all, probably got them all right. 5/10 for that round. :unsure:

Then both Jim and I started being pelted by Skittles, in the backs of our heads, from somewhere amongst the vermin seated behind us. Looks like AVCon needs a Ditching From The Top Floor Balcony service. I would have been quite happy to sieve through those tables and dispense justice, but the completely useless security guard, who was standing behind them when they did it, would probably have something to say about that.

After that, the Round of Doom. Our table pretty much answered none of the questions, so our night petered out. End of AVCon07 Saturday.

Good things about the Quiz Night: the pizzas arrived on time and in bulk, and the Quiz ended pretty much when it was supposed to (unsurprisingly, since it was 2 rounds shorter than all the other years). Despite some moments of necessary stalling. But of the 6 Quiz Nights I've been to, this one was definitely 6th and least in my estimation.... :unsure:

Hope my experiences are better tomorrow. I live with a sense of despairing optomism....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:28 am

Mappy wrote:....

So pretty much everything was in English except that which wasn't in anything. :unsure:

Last Minute Con is Last Minute.

Tree Boy was subbed.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

edible_hat

by IceLee » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:03 am

Ah! so that's what hit me hard on my hip..... the skittles that is -_- thats it, im telling off the avcon staff because this is the third time ive heard of people getting hurt by random things thrown. they need a severe telling off no buts. I wanted to criticize/question them in a thread once but they quickly slienced that thread... power abuse? negelience? I asked for the guilty person responsible for the breaking down of a certain can tower behind table four last year, to apologize not to me, but to the other injured party ( a female got hit in the head with a coke bottle, lucky for the guilty party it was only plastic.)

I arranged for us to have table 2 and three because of the close promixty of the screen ( after 5-10 minutes yelling at the organizers because they forgot by the time they was setting tables that I was deaf. I even wrote on the list. -_- so yeah today i have to rest because last night I was quite sick by the end of it. Mico and tech's also getting a few words from me because they blamed me for a simple mistake I made, I didnt know the monkees were american but naturally having heard of monkees, i picked hollies.... to be non british but they didnt clairify the question on the screen, only saying which one is the odd one out... but didnt mention what is unique to them.. but maybe thatd be too much of a info for the question. I did pretty well for a deaf person I must admit.

so yeah... hope I dont collaspe or barf today at avcon. -_-
IceLee

by Mappy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:07 pm

edible_hat wrote:Tree Boy was subbed.

Well, I suppose that was a plus. Doesn't stop it being made of fail, though.

IceLee wrote:Ah! so that's what hit me hard on my hip..... the skittles that is -_- thats it, im telling off the avcon staff because this is the third time ive heard of people getting hurt by random things thrown. they need a severe telling off no buts. I wanted to criticize/question them in a thread once but they quickly slienced that thread... power abuse? negelience? I asked for the guilty person responsible for the breaking down of a certain can tower behind table four last year, to apologize not to me, but to the other injured party ( a female got hit in the head with a coke bottle, lucky for the guilty party it was only plastic.)

It's a quality control problem, you see. When you start attracting people to conventions whose intellect stopped developing at the age of five, you get things flying around the room when they get bored with the proceedings. As I said earlier, I was quite bored during the Quiz, and it certainly looked like others at our table were, too. I'll let them vouch for that, though. The only thing that stopped us from throwing things around the room is that we have developed intelligence beyond that of a reptile. 8)

IceLee wrote:I arranged for us to have table 2 and three because of the close promixty of the screen ( after 5-10 minutes yelling at the organizers because they forgot by the time they was setting tables that I was deaf. I even wrote on the list. -_- so yeah today i have to rest because last night I was quite sick by the end of it. Mico and tech's also getting a few words from me because they blamed me for a simple mistake I made, I didnt know the monkees were american but naturally having heard of monkees, i picked hollies.... to be non british but they didnt clairify the question on the screen, only saying which one is the odd one out... but didnt mention what is unique to them.. but maybe thatd be too much of a info for the question. I did pretty well for a deaf person I must admit.

Techa was harangued by Connell during the night. Something along the lines of "stop saying things that aren't funny". Over the mic, no less. So he did get bitten for his behaviour, even if it was a little poorly handled. I know they don't like Techa much at EVAC, so....

I hadn't even heard of The Zombies, so I would have picked them. Jim suggested The Monkees, not because they were American, but because they were the only group that were created for a tv show....

IceLee wrote:so yeah... hope I dont collaspe or barf today at avcon. -_-

I hope Ryan is feeling better after yesterday. He looked really bad during the early stages of the Quiz, and was pretty much taken out of the loop for the rest of the night because of it, even though he did seem a bit better by the end.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Psike81 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:57 pm

While im trying to find a mysterious PDF schedule from the AVCON site ...

judging from the titles screened I think im thanking the stars/gods/dieties/heroes/sagas for my non-presence . Think so too?

Psike81

by Last Exile » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:04 pm

Uh oh.....

Maybe I should have gone to quiz night since I actually watched both series of Yu-Gi-Oh along with Pirate Man. They actually has something I had a forte in the time I don't go. Typical....

I had work, so meh.

Hope the cosplay is good for you guys. Sounds like you need a lighten-uper.

I spoke to White on MSN around 1am. He's alive at least. He seemed to be okay at that point albeit still in quite a bit of pain. At least he hadn't thrown up for a few hours when I spoke to him. I think his version of events pretty much mirrors yours, mappy, except he mentioned there was a stall that actually had ero grames, lol. As always, Pete is the only person whose stall is made of win. Pete ftfw, Pulp Fiction ftfw.

Noobs throwing Skittles? That's disgraceful. Those wankers should be kicked and banned. At least quiz night finished on time and food orders came early. But the behaviour and the question matter still seems to fail.

Anyone that wants to vent at various heads, I can pass them on to someone who will let them know whole heartedly. (Thankfully Connell's younger brother isn't made of fail, he rocks.)

Kudos guys, hope Sunday is a better day. Off to work for me.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:40 pm

Well, a kind of wash-up from today included:

Someone tried to flood the showers on Level 5 (?) last night by putting a bin over the drain hole and leaving the shower on....

The lift was trashed. Flyers plastered all over the floor.

Six people were expelled from the Con after trying to start a fight.

Someone was reported for taking photos up the skirts of female attendees.

I'll let you know what I thought of Sunday after I finish reading the goods I purchased from Pulp Fiction (again) and Shin Tokyo.

But I can tell you that I rate the AVCon's thus, from best to worst: 2004, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2002 and 2007.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Last Exile wrote:Uh oh.....

Maybe I should have gone to quiz night since I actually watched both series of Yu-Gi-Oh along with Pirate Man. They actually has something I had a forte in the time I don't go. Typical....

I had work, so meh.

Hope the cosplay is good for you guys. Sounds like you need a lighten-uper.

I spoke to White on MSN around 1am. He's alive at least. He seemed to be okay at that point albeit still in quite a bit of pain. At least he hadn't thrown up for a few hours when I spoke to him. I think his version of events pretty much mirrors yours, mappy, except he mentioned there was a stall that actually had ero grames, lol. As always, Pete is the only person whose stall is made of win. Pete ftfw, Pulp Fiction ftfw.

Noobs throwing Skittles? That's disgraceful. Those wankers should be kicked and banned. At least quiz night finished on time and food orders came early. But the behaviour and the question matter still seems to fail.

Anyone that wants to vent at various heads, I can pass them on to someone who will let them know whole heartedly. (Thankfully Connell's younger brother isn't made of fail, he rocks.)

Kudos guys, hope Sunday is a better day. Off to work for me.

The whole con was pretty much of a bore and a waste of time. It kinda reminds me of post-war communist Russia where everything was stuck together and became a super-power then just collapsed.

Yugioh Abridged was based on a YOUTUBE broadcast, it had nothing to do with Yugioh at all and yes there was a stall that had ero-games, (so much for the PG rating for the con) I found it and was tempted to buy some but the vendor went A-wall for some odd reason :(.

Mappy wrote:

Someone was reported for taking photos up the skirts of female attendees.

Probably the same person who was reported on the news caught on video cam in the shopping centre.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by IceLee » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:18 pm

Dave and I am seriously considering not going to next year's avcon... I was not pleased with some of the aspects of the 'con and the fact that they allowed yaoi manga, yaoi styled cosplay skit, and let that skit win because it got the most reactions (mainly disgust) from most of us who attended the cosplay. Im a tad bit suspicous of the pokemon tournaement aswell, because one of my opponment has a level 100 blissey who he kept using soft boiled on (around 3, 4 times although he claims he used it twice but I know its more than that!) and also left overs so every time I give it a hit, it reheals, hence my theory of stalling, because youre supposed to be as quick as possible and stop wasting each other's pokemon like that. well thats what I reckon but suprise, suprise, hes legally allowed to use those moves/item on his pokemon.

I'm not disappointed about my loss at pokemon tourney because I did very, very well.
As for quiz night.. I'm still rather miffed about the odd one out question because theres apparently too many unique facts like:
1. the hollies are the only all female band
2. the beatles is the only ones with films/and having someone shoot one of their members
3.the monkees has their own tv show
4. the zombies is a punk and metal band...

so techinally I was correct.
IceLee

by Psike81 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:28 pm

I think i can see this thread going CME (coronal mass ejection) for abit. Short span , hot flaming and big nasty all in one .

Psike81

by edible_hat » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:49 pm

How to win a cosplay prize: Act out homosexuell porn fantasies on stage!

edible_hat

by Last Exile » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:58 pm

And I earnt about $150 over those 2 days. I guess I chose the better option. Mitchell is full of fail.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:45 am

IceLee wrote:Dave and I am seriously considering not going to next year's avcon...

I was saying this last night to Jim and Jason.... Next year they can expect the numbers to drop again. Instead of aiming for 2000 they can look forward to the unreachable target of 1000. I wouldn't have said this two years ago. I may have complained about things falling apart at AVCon in the past, but there is a perverse pleasure in watching planned events descend into chaos. This year it just wasn't as fun because the events didn't look all that planned. I didn't even attend the Cosplay Comp for that reason, and the live feeds to the Union Cinema and Little Theatre were made of FAIL. I was in the vendors hall at the time Cosplay started, so there was a thin veneer of attendees left there (as usual). But suddenly a wave of people filled the hall about 10 minutes later, and it was all from the Union Cinema. All those who had gone in to watch the Cosplay Competition via the feed, because they couldn't get into the Union Hall when it filled up, were leaving in droves because the sound was dead and the picture kept freezing every 5-10 seconds. :?

IceLee wrote:I was not pleased with some of the aspects of the 'con and the fact that they allowed yaoi manga, yaoi styled cosplay skit, and let that skit win because it got the most reactions (mainly disgust) from most of us who attended the cosplay.

The whole yaoi thing doesn't bother me that much. My anime obsession coincided with yaoi's arrival as a genre of fandom, so I'm just used to it and the many insane fangirls who like it, even if I'm not at all interested in it. Because, let's face it, I'm an original member of the yuri mailing list, where the yuri craze was born and bred outside Japan.... So I can't exactly complain. :innocent:

Some of the most awesome moments in AJAS's history have also had to do with yaoi/shonen ai and the reaction of those watching. For someone who takes as much pleasure watching peoples' horrified reactions as much as I have, it has been a muchly appreciated weapon of mass-evacuation. 8)

IceLee wrote:Im a tad bit suspicous of the pokemon tournaement aswell, because one of my opponment has a level 100 blissey who he kept using soft boiled on (around 3, 4 times although he claims he used it twice but I know its more than that!) and also left overs so every time I give it a hit, it reheals, hence my theory of stalling, because youre supposed to be as quick as possible and stop wasting each other's pokemon like that. well thats what I reckon but suprise, suprise, hes legally allowed to use those moves/item on his pokemon.

I'm not disappointed about my loss at pokemon tourney because I did very, very well.

I'm rather glad I remain completely oblivious to Pokemon in all of its forms. 8)

IceLee wrote:As for quiz night.. I'm still rather miffed about the odd one out question because theres apparently too many unique facts like:
1. the hollies are the only all female band
2. the beatles is the only ones with films/and having someone shoot one of their members
3.the monkees has their own tv show
4. the zombies is a punk and metal band...

so techinally I was correct.

I don't believe The Hollies are an all-girl band. Not The Hollies that I'm thinking of. The "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" and "The Air That I Breathe" Hollies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollies

Anyway, photos of AVCon. Didn't get many this year.

[lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05646.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05648.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05651.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05652.jpg[/lightbox]
[lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05653.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05655.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05658.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05660.jpg[/lightbox]
[lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05661.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05670.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05675.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05679.jpg[/lightbox]
[lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05689.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05691.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05692.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05694.jpg[/lightbox]
[lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05695.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05696.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05697.jpg[/lightbox][lightbox]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/mappythemouse/avcon07/DSC05698.jpg[/lightbox]
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:51 am

Mappy wrote:I don't believe The Hollies are an all-girl band. Not The Hollies that I'm thinking of. The "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" and "The Air That I Breathe" Hollies.

We must have been thinking of some other band beginning with H then... also according to Wikipedia, the Zombies were more R&B than punk.

edible_hat

by Xenesis » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:51 pm

Im a tad bit suspicous of the pokemon tournaement aswell, because one of my opponment has a level 100 blissey who he kept using soft boiled on (around 3, 4 times although he claims he used it twice but I know its more than that!) and also left overs so every time I give it a hit, it reheals, hence my theory of stalling, because youre supposed to be as quick as possible and stop wasting each other's pokemon like that. well thats what I reckon but suprise, suprise, hes legally allowed to use those moves/item on his pokemon.

Um, the tournament is a double battle. How the hell can you stall in a double battle? Maybe if it was a Single Battle...but yeah.

I mean seriously. Then again, I got to the top four with my team, the joke team. Fear the might of Magikarp <_<;

As this was my first AVCon, I can't really give much of a comparison to last year. I have to admit, I quite enjoyed the gaming tournaments. The opening night was kinda an epic fail (Despite Sweet and Sour being incredibly cute) just for Tree-Man. <_<;

The quiz night was decent - then again my team managed to be one of the teams that got second.

The anime selection was okay, as most of it I'd already seen at AJAS. Then again, I do now want to watch more of 'Goodbye Mr. Despair', so it's not a total loss.

Overall? A good way to spend a weekend, but I'm not sure I'd be raving about it for years to come.
Xenesis

by Ryan White » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:02 pm

I've only eaten 1 1/2 boxes of shapes since I had lunch on Saturday, I'm not feeling hungry yet which is probably a bad sign. Mappy's picture with me in it about sums up the interest I had in the quiz night.
Has anybody else notice that AVCon seems to have been held a week later than it normally is? Uni starts this week yet I'm used to still having a week off after the convention.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by IceLee » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Hmm because we was told no excessive stalling during even the doubles... I still reckon that it techinally is a stall but I dont mind, just would like the organizers to revise that rule next year, because it doesnt cover that issue, because one would not know what extactly the organizers doesnt want to occur...

plus there are apparently more reports of cheating coming through the net so to speak, the second placer is having strong suspcion about someone, and apparently I beat a cheater who beat someone else that had all level 100's against that cheater... I havent the full story though.
IceLee

by Mappy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:36 pm

Xenesis wrote:Overall? A good way to spend a weekend, but I'm not sure I'd be raving about it for years to come.

Oh believe me: 2003, 2004 and 2005.... Those three were the best AVCons. For all the right reasons - tournaments, panels and competitions, as well as reasonably stocked vendors. They weren't perfect, but then nothing ever is. 2002 and 2006 were chaotic messes, but still enjoyable in their own way (like, say, the After Party ^_-). This year, I felt, was just a mess. The fact that you feel you won't be raving about it in years to come says it all, really, because you should. Inasmuch as it will make you want to go next year/make you wait with baited breath for the next one, in much the same way that everyone wants to go to Manifest in Melbourne.

I don't really want to be negative about AVCon, not as someone who has attended it from the start and has something of an attachment to the wonderful trainwreck that it has been, so I'm trying to think of good things to say about it. Maybe when I've had more time to think it over.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and jaded. Yeah, that must be it. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:28 pm

Xenesis wrote:

Um, the tournament is a double battle. How the hell can you stall in a double battle? Maybe if it was a Single Battle...but yeah.

I mean seriously. Then again, I got to the top four with my team, the joke team. Fear the might of Magikarp <_<;

As this was my first AVCon, I can't really give much of a comparison to last year. I have to admit, I quite enjoyed the gaming tournaments. The opening night was kinda an epic fail (Despite Sweet and Sour being incredibly cute) just for Tree-Man. <_<;

The quiz night was decent - then again my team managed to be one of the teams that got second.

The anime selection was okay, as most of it I'd already seen at AJAS. Then again, I do now want to watch more of 'Goodbye Mr. Despair', so it's not a total loss.

Overall? A good way to spend a weekend, but I'm not sure I'd be raving about it for years to come.

The tournaments were an epic fail, for a Video Games Club they had naught of the mainstream games, even 2002 had more tournaments than this one and the prizes well from what I've seen from a prize from Super SFII Turbo F---, a $7 figure for coming first place are they on drugs? You get better prizes if anyone ran there own tournaments.

Where were the mainstream or the suggested tournaments they were having, Soul Calibur III, Guilty Gear:Accent Core, Forenza Motor Sports, Grand Turismo IV, King of Fighters XI, Puyo Pop Fever, DDR... the list goes on and on.

The Quiz night was a total sham, lots of shady stuff... If you listened to what they were actually saying. They even had a person who somehow failed grade 1 Maths and English marking the Quiz and Yugioh Abridged thats almost a year old.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Xenesis » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:39 pm

IceLee wrote:Hmm because we was told no excessive stalling during even the doubles... I still reckon that it techinally is a stall but I dont mind, just would like the organizers to revise that rule next year, because it doesnt cover that issue, because one would not know what extactly the organizers doesnt want to occur...

plus there are apparently more reports of cheating coming through the net so to speak, the second placer is having strong suspcion about someone, and apparently I beat a cheater who beat someone else that had all level 100's against that cheater... I havent the full story though.

As far as stalling goes, I think it was to be more in a 'Hey, all the other people of this round finished fifteen minutes ago, you should be done already' sort of capacity. Having pokemon heal themselves once or twice isn't really stalling. <_<

Yeah, I was there when the final was being played and PBR rejected one of the two player's Garchomp. Something about Hackers on the GTS for that one.

As for the hacker who got beaten, I heard that his 60-something team was one-shot wiping out another person's team. :/

Where were the mainstream or the suggested tournaments they were having, Soul Calibur III, Guilty Gear:Accent Core, Forenza Motor Sports, Grand Turismo IV, King of Fighters XI, Puyo Pop Fever, DDR... the list goes on and on.

Pokemon, Smash Brothers, Guitar Hero and Halo aren't mainstream? Considering the turnout for everything apart from the Smash tournament, I can understand why they didn't hold many more tournies.

Sure, the prizes weren't epic, but hey, I didn't really care - I entered in a self-amusement kind of way. Anything I won was a bonus. (For the record, I got a bag of lollies out of the Pokemon Tournament)

The Quiz night was a total sham, lots of shady stuff... If you listened to what they were actually saying. They even had a person who somehow failed grade 1 Maths and English marking the Quiz and Yugioh Abridged thats almost a year old.

Yeah, I heard about many things. <_<;

I heard that my team should've been in equal first with another, instead of equal second...etc. etc. Yugioh Abridged was a pain in the arsch though, because I've only seen it once.

The fact that you feel you won't be raving about it in years to come says it all, really, because you should.

Hah, that's true. It is supposed to be Adelaide's Anime and Videogaming event of the year after all.
Xenesis

by (mad) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:02 pm

well, i'd have to say i didn't enjoy this one as much as i did last year, for various reasons. of the ones that were because of the con, i'd have to say that it was because they were showing some pretty dodgy anime and most of the better stuff had already been shown at ajas. it did make we want to watch goodbye mister despair and devil may cry, though. i think next year they should make less of a deal of this is otakudom, it's kinda old and boring now.
there didn't seem to be as much on this year, though i admit i wasn't really into most of the games they had on.
that was my first quiz night and some of it was rather entertaining, though that seemed to be mostly due to the randomness of our team, which was put together in only a couple of days. i do have to say some of the questions were rather dodgy, especially when the focused on stuff only certain types would watch.
on the plus side, i did end up going to the afterparty, which was alright, though i hear it ended far earlier than usual this year.
wow, i didn't think i had that much to say.
(mad)
180 Proof

by Atory » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:05 pm

I would have been up for a Puyo Pop Fever comp. I was owning people in the Equinox.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Work > AJAS in other words. Wow, that's pretty bad.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:43 pm

Xenesis wrote:
Pokemon, Smash Brothers, Guitar Hero and Halo aren't mainstream? Considering the turnout for everything apart from the Smash tournament, I can understand why they didn't hold many more tournies.

Sure, the prizes weren't epic, but hey, I didn't really care - I entered in a self-amusement kind of way. Anything I won was a bonus. (For the record, I got a bag of lollies out of the Pokemon Tournament)

Thats in addition to all the games that are being played *sigh* (you should know there were a fair few mainstream games that were missing, say this link http://www.evo2k.com/ features some of the mainstream games for example), but your forgetting one thing they are primary a Video Games Club not an Anime Club and they did promise this in the AVcon Videogames forum page, yet not even half of those tournaments appeared. When they say "come and challenge the best" promoting GG, Kof, and so forth afterwards looking at the crappy schedule with under half that was promised, something fishy is going on.

Ah and what is a Rock Theme Convention without DDR competition and a Sing Star Karoke as a major feature? Fail Fail Fail Auto Fail.

In the past AVcons I remember people lining up to enter in tournaments (aroudn 20 or more for each) and now they have practically none.

Whats done is done gonna watch Lucky Star 15, with the 3 nerds trying to fit into normal society in the anime .
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Psike81 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:19 pm

Ryan White wrote:Mappy's picture with me in it about sums up the interest I had in the quiz night.

That bottle of water sure felt comfortable in your arms Ryan ...

Mappy , were the cosplayers absent or something ? You seem to indicate a shortage with your posted photos .

Psike81

by (mad) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:37 pm

he didn't get into the hall where they were doing the cosplay comp and the streaming rooms weren't very good is my guess.
i think they filmed the cosplay comp aswell, so it may be possible to acqure some of that if you're interested
(mad)
180 Proof

by Psike81 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 pm

Was actually trying to measure the quality of AVCON by the volume of cosplayers . After all ... how much worse can i read ?

Psike81

by (mad) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:02 pm

there were a decent few cosplayers this year, though it also seemed that there were far to many goths and emos, in my opinion
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:17 pm

(mad) wrote:there were a decent few cosplayers this year, though it also seemed that there were far to many goths and emos, in my opinion

I'll remember to bring a download of 'The Black Parade' along with some C4 next year then.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 pm

Last Exile wrote:
(mad) wrote:there were a decent few cosplayers this year, though it also seemed that there were far to many goths and emos, in my opinion

I'll remember to bring a download of 'The Black Parade' along with some C4 next year then.

Hmm there was some kids dressed up as a counter strike terrorist. Vendors are great, though I think I should of pick up a few of those ero games, just feel lost without them. :cry:
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by (mad) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:34 pm

i can get you a list of names if you like and bring some disk images when i get ahold of them
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:45 pm

Xenesis wrote:

As far as stalling goes, I think it was to be more in a 'Hey, all the other people of this round finished fifteen minutes ago, you should be done already' sort of capacity. Having pokemon heal themselves once or twice isn't really stalling. <_<

He claimed he used softboiled twice. According to my memory he used it about... 3 to 5 times. I should know because I was struggling to kill that pokemon and wasting too many pokemon on ONE pokemon who keeps healing itself. Im not pissed off and all mind you, I just say I think he is in a way, stalling... but I'm going to ask stefan and whoever will organize the tourny next year to revise the stalling rule, decide weither they need to tighten it up or not.
IceLee

by Rasberry » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:05 pm

I have mixed feelings to be honest, and remember i was on the other side of the fence (staff).

for video gaming, the UNI messed us around for the rooms again allowing certain rooms to only be open for set up on saturday but we seemed to have everything set up better than last year at least and faster.... As for the Pokemon tournament, well i for one support tactics such as stalling, unless it drags out the torurnament.... but this year it was stated no stalling, the staff for video games will be reviewing the rules and analyzing in particular what represents stalling....

I worked this year looking after the screening rooms, and i have to say i did run into a problems but all was sorted out in the end one way or another. Now i have to admit the play list wasn't to bad, i mean generally they did not attract a huge crowd, but the people who join in the room seemed to enjoy what was being shown. the main problem that i found was that in between shows, due to poor planning we left a schedule on screen for 2 minutes.... most people thought that this was the end of the screening and that a new show would come on... so people left when there was still more episodes to go. I mean i so wanted that DVD that i made to at least add some pocky ads or something to keep the crowd amused until it was time to start the next show. From what i saw both Kashimashi and Air gear happened to be peoples favourites, with people asking me where they can get more etc....

the traders room, yes was a bit of a worry, there was a smaller selection than last year, as for range etc, that is more of a vendors thing, i mean AVCon had nothing to do with what was being sold. the only real thing that i saw that could of changed was to say have the costar table at rego swapped with the manifest/oztaku table in the traders hall... though i have to say that pulp fiction made a good show.... $5 manga table, there was not complete sets there but there was parts of sets so all i need to do is pick out some missing volumes normally and i am done there.

as for the auction, it was better than last year, i think that is a gibben.... but i was highly dissapointed that my bid was ignored (and yes barron, i listened to your advice and stood towards the back with bidding)... oh well i have the AVcon 2006 banner and the waicon 2006 banner.......

With the prizes this year, i have to admit that they were smaller, but yet again this was not really AVcons fault as last year the sponsors provided better prizes.

the quiz night was an up and down, they did the pizzas better and actually as a result, finished on time, but yes there was a bad atmosphere and overcrowding, the the creative writing can easily be disputed. but then again i assume the pizzas were still cold... the wok in a box was great!

this year's game show was flawless, a real positive towards this years AVcon and definitely needed again!

Cosplay was a problem with the streaming failing, i was not watching the cosplay, due to another other screening room failure, but it seems like the people i was looking after enjoyed Kashimashi to much to even care for cosplaying!

Thank god/dangerous very good idea, pulled off well by barron, few mini problems, but definatley a great event and needed in 2008

AVcon idol, this year was a huge improvement over last year, and receives my thumbs up!

Rego was made of win this year, i mean pinned down with first class honors! i am not sure if any other con has yet to do what we did with rego, but the worst problem of 2006 has been eliminated!

volunteers this year were way more helpful 8/10 turned up for shifts, compared to something like 6/10 last year.... volunteer problems were minimal this year and those who helped, really helped!

beleive it or not, attendees were up this year by a small amount, but any growth is a good thing, if i am not maistaken there was over 1500 attendees

anyway i hope i did a good job on my brief recap of 07, remember there was some good things if you look!
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by Atory » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:51 pm

Psike81 wrote:Was actually trying to measure the quality of AVCON by the volume of cosplayers .

There were around 100 cosplayers this year, but less than half were done well. However, those that were done well were awesome. I didn't end up going to the Cosplay comp as I wanted to leave early. Cosplay Chess was great though.

Ryan White wrote:Has anybody else notice that AVCon seems to have been held a week later than it normally is? Uni starts this week yet I'm used to still having a week off after the convention.

I think it was held a week later this year as Adelaide Uni aren't letting anything run during the holidays since VSU, so it had to be the weekend of returning to Uni.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:10 am

Yes, this year's con did seem to attract a lower class of attendee. Some of the problems I'd listed before seem to be proof of that. :wink:

Psike81 wrote:Mappy , were the cosplayers absent or something ? You seem to indicate a shortage with your posted photos .

No, they were there, and there were some great cosplays, I just didn't feel like asking everyone if they wanted their photograph taken. It feels kinda creepy to be doing that.... :wink:

Rasberry wrote:beleive it or not, attendees were up this year by a small amount, but any growth is a good thing, if i am not maistaken there was over 1500 attendees.

You have to be kidding.... I remember CROWDS at AVCon before. There weren't anything of the sort at this year's event. Oh, there were people there, but only in numbers at one or two places at any one time. In the past it seemed to be everywhere.... :?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:49 am

I heard one of them say something like "look at all those idiots who think we're in costumes when we're wearing what we wear normally"... which just confirms what freaks they are.

edible_hat

by (mad) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:57 am

edible_hat, i really didn't need to know that. knowing that makes we want to have been distributing razor blades
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:14 am

edible_hat wrote:I heard one of them say something like "look at all those idiots who think we're in costumes when we're wearing what we wear normally"... which just confirms what freaks they are.

What, they didn't think we knew who and what they were by sight? Or that we cared?

I stand by my statement: AVCon07 attracted a pretty low-class crowd of newbs. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 am

Mappy wrote:What, they didn't think we knew who and what they were by sight? Or that we cared.

Of course they thought that! Like all people who think they're special, they're elitist twats.

This year's AVCon should have been sponsored by

edible_hat

by (mad) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:57 am

and now to get some of the avcon organisers to wander onto these forums... :lol:
(mad)
180 Proof

by IceLee » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:14 am

Pokemon tourny results: 30 people attended, half of that was elimated after first round.

1st: Jake
2nd: James
3rd: John
4th: the joke team (xen's team)
5th: IceLee and someone else... apparently it was a equal score
IceLee

by Pirate Man » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:37 am

Rasberry wrote:I have mixed feelings to be honest, and remember i was on the other side of the fence (staff).

for video gaming, the UNI messed us around for the rooms again allowing certain rooms to only be open for set up on saturday but we seemed to have everything set up better than last year at least and faster.... As for the Pokemon tournament, well i for one support tactics such as stalling, unless it drags out the torurnament.... but this year it was stated no stalling, the staff for video games will be reviewing the rules and analyzing in particular what represents stalling....

Being a video game advocate, saying this is being a hypocrite when you've been on their forums. The video gaming selection was terrible, very few tournaments, no good games besides the old combos of yesteryear. There should of been KOF XI, GG: AC, driving game tournament etc. DDR and Singstar rocks karoke, NO EXCUSE especially if the theme is based on a music matter. Prizes weren't great but that wasn't really the subject of the matter, the Anime and Traders were very strong, I hate to say this but the selection of the stuff available were pretty strong but there should of been more leeway. Hell everyone is the entire planet was wondering if AVcon was gonna make a showing.

Rasberry wrote:
Rego was made of win this year, i mean pinned down with first class honors! i am not sure if any other con has yet to do what we did with rego, but the worst problem of 2006 has been eliminated!

I complete agree with you a two day pre-registration period was absolutely brilliant.

Rasberry wrote:

beleive it or not, attendees were up this year by a small amount, but any growth is a good thing, if i am not maistaken there was over 1500 attendees

How come I have this eerie feeling "if I don't write this on the AJAS forums the whole EVAC is gonna come down onto me"
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by (mad) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:15 pm

oh yeah, i forgot about one of the funniest vendors there - the retro gaming vendor.
the prices on alot of the stuff was almost as high as if they were new, so high you could probably build them cheaper yourself using plans from online (or i could probably figure them out myself)
alot of the games were nearly as expensive as new games ($30 plus, for some reasonably old ones).
the scariest part was that they were selling this stuff pretty well because when we went there later in the con, they had practically new stuff, like oblivion.
(mad)
180 Proof

by Rasberry » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:27 pm

to be honest, they aren't the best of tables, they were there last year and it looked the same as last year too, nothing on the table interested me, and their prices seemed quite a bit higher compared to last year!
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by edible_hat » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:11 pm

Last year I picked up a Game Boy for $9 and a couple of games fairly cheap.

edible_hat

by Mappy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:17 am

From the AVCon Forum, on the subject of possible themes for AVCon 08:

anuzan wrote:im thinking that trainwreck is a great idea, we could all help with that one and trip over cables like some did this yr

Thanks to some of the university's input, we've already had our trainwreck theme. :lol:

FallenAngelG wrote:
CaptBooyah wrote:I think this theme went to the crapper when next to no one turned up in some sort of rock-ish costume. Goes to show how easy a cool theme can get turned on its head from lack of participation from an audience.

Or maybe it just goes to show it was a sh*t theme that deserved to be in the crapper.

:lol:

Seriously, though, the entire AVCon: The Rock Show theme was pretty wishy washy to begin with. Unlike last year's Pirates vs Ninjas, which nailed the theme down pretty well, it didn't give anyone anything specific which, pretty much everyone, could latch on to and run with.

Rock is a fairly broad term for a musical genre which, even when you start to break it down into sub-genres (pick one, any one), they all still come off as equally too broad and unspecific, not only for the attendees, but also for those who were running the event, who, themselves, seemed somewhat lost as to how to blend this theme into AVCon's existing format of events.

I mean, exactly what kind of rock-ish costume did they think people should dress up in (you had your minderjährigen mädchen and *bleuch* your emos.... did they really expect large number of people to arrive dressed as glam-rockers?), and more importantly, what has this got to do with an anime and gaming convention? Even knowing the link with Guitar Hero 2, I'm still confused as to why this influenced Mitchell and Team AVCon into making this the theme.

However, onto positives, which is going to be hard for me because my experience of AVCon07 was not that great, despite what Rasberry and Barron felt about the event at the AJAS meeting last night (and have stated on this forum). Yes, for other people the event was a good one. People have said as much on the AVCon Forum. I was discussing the quality of the anime being shown this year with a couple of attendees at the Pulp Fiction stand, and I had to agree with them: it was much much better than what was delivered to us last year.... Sadly, I'd seen it all, already. So whatever I did get to see was little more than a glance through a door. But certainly thumbs up in that department. It was good to catch up with people that I hadn't seen in a while (Nick, Andrew Carpenter, Phong etc etc) and it was great just hanging out with people and crapping on about whatever whilst the convention creaked and groaned around us. I didn't get to the gaming rooms, so I'll have to leave it to others to make any positive statements about those.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:31 pm

It looks certain next year's theme will involve zombies somehow. We might finally have legitimate means to send those always costumed emos on a one way ticket to The Black Parade.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by michu_kitty » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:00 pm

I like watching the cosplay show when I go to avcon. :) My fave was the yaoi naruto, so funny and the chocobo.
michu_kitty

by edible_hat » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm

Psike81 wrote:were the cosplayers absent or something ?

I just found a 3 page gallery of cosplay photos:
http://www.starfirephoenix.net/gallery/ ... ?g2_page=1

edible_hat

by Atory » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:36 pm

There are plenty more listed in a thread in the AVCon Discussion Forum on their website.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by (mad) » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:30 am

but why would we want to go to the avcon forums?
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:41 am

(mad) wrote:but why would we want to go to the avcon forums?

Agreed.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:52 pm

The missing AVCon guitar....

[lightbox]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z172/spog88/AVCONWIN.jpg[/lightbox]

:hmmm:
I did say this con attracted a low class quality of n00bs....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 am

Emos aren't good enough to be noobs. -_-
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 am

Con n00bs.... The sort we've not seen at AVCon before, whose presence in this con (and on this Earth) is of no benefit to anyone and whose like we hope not to see again, preferably through the process of your oft-quoted Black Parade.

[size=0]Mind you, this was kinda funny.[/size]
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:17 am

Yeehaw !!!

AVCON finally admitted that they based the convention on 1 GAME. Got it out of them at last.

http://www.avcon.org.au/forum/viewtopic ... 4436#84436
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:48 am

I think we all knew that, already. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:48 am

It seems the people on that site no longer give a damn about the anime side.

1. They must really want to have nothing to do with AJAS or anime.
2. They seem more content on comic books than manga/anime.

CVCon anyone? -_-
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:03 am

They don't. Eventually AVCon will become a random theme for geeks convention.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 am

i blame all the arts students who organise AVCon, as all engineers would
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:38 am

I blame it on the boogie.

Oh wait, I've already used that one.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:09 am

Mappy wrote:I blame it on the boogie.

Oh wait, I've already used that one.... 8)

Blame Clonze. Half of Blackrock does.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Mappy wrote:I think we all knew that, already. 8)

but they stated it, well I'm trying to gear them back instead of turning them into a Halloween Party or a Trainwreck which its going to be XD.

Efforts are futile

and the TRUE HERO OF AVCON bow down and worship him

Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by mbarron » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:02 pm

YOU PEOPLE WHINE TOO MUCH!:evil:

:evil:
VOLUNTEER AND MAKE IT BETTER INSTEAD OF WHINING!:evil:

I WORKED HARD TO MAKE IT AWESOME AND IT WAS AWESOME! :evil:

QUIZ NIGHT WAS AWESOME
COSPLAY THIS YEAR WAS AWESOME (kelly FMP)

STAB YOU IN THE FACE IF YOU CONTINUE BITCHING!

In other news free pizza for ajas in the next few weeks, second funding is on its way.
mbarron
Site Admin

by IceLee » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:11 pm

x.x;; @ post above. Heeey dont tempt me with free pizza when Ive taekwondo.... *cries*

ps. you did a fanastic job indeed Barron.. really!!!
IceLee

by Atory » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:27 pm

I don't think I've heard anyone hündin about what you contributed to AVCon Barron. I think you did an excellent job.

I did volunteer and made it better... Without me they wouldn't have their No. 1 bag stuffer. Suss much?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:30 pm

mbarron wrote:VOLUNTEER AND MAKE IT BETTER INSTEAD OF WHINING!:evil:

Actually, most of the whining is already over (by about a week). We're not really talking about the quality of AVCon, anymore. Except for Pirate Man, but you know what he's like. 8)

And do you really want me to volunteer, hmmmm? Continents would collapse into the ocean if that happened. 8)

mbarron wrote:I WORKED HARD TO MAKE IT AWESOME AND IT WAS AWESOME! :evil:

I don't think anyone here has criticized your efforts to make it awesome. It just wasn't as awesome as last year, despite said efforts.

I expect high-quality pizzas. :)

Pirate Man wrote:and the TRUE HERO OF AVCON bow down and worship him

Too late, Jason.... In loooooong before you. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:56 pm

since barron seems intent on stabbing people in the face, i have a present for him:
[lightbox]http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/2cglf5v.jpg[/lightbox]
(mad)
180 Proof

by Pirate Man » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:15 pm

mbarron wrote:YOU PEOPLE WHINE TOO MUCH!:evil:

VOLUNTEER AND MAKE IT BETTER INSTEAD OF WHINING!:evil:

I WORKED HARD TO MAKE IT AWESOME AND IT WAS AWESOME! :evil:

QUIZ NIGHT WAS AWESOME
COSPLAY THIS YEAR WAS AWESOME (kelly FMP)

STAB YOU IN THE FACE IF YOU CONTINUE BITCHING!

In other news free pizza for ajas in the next few weeks, second funding is on its way.

Like what Mappy said "it takes around a month for me to calm down", especially when I show my monies and it went flying in the wind *swoosh* you know that 30 bucks pay 10 more dollars for a worse avcon not to similar to the education system but it wasn't you at fault, hell I did commend your efforts but I finally got my point out and the string is detached.

Was wondering how much bitching I can do before I make you crack XD~~~~ Mappy knows I do this on purpose too. Well the thing above I put before was general bitching for fun.

Anyhow nice to see your face on the forums again XD. Was wondering when the great mbarron was gonna make a showing.

Mappy wrote:
Too late, Jason.... In loooooong before you.

Arrgh soooo slow, see what I meant by days meaning months rather than actual days in internet terms XD.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Atory » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 pm

Mappy means he posted it on the previous page.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by IceLee » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:26 pm

Heck, a couple of people was slagging you off, barron, not from this forum but on the day at launch I think or cosplay, cant rember which, I lept to your defence and bashed their heads together (verbally, not physically mind you) and told them off and said that you was doing a good job, the best you can possibly do in that scenero, and that shut them up XD
IceLee

by edible_hat » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:51 pm

mbarron wrote:stuff

Had you had anything to do with the hoodies etc. there probably wouldn't have been a problem. The cosplay was awesome (apart from the dodgy sketches), the quiz night less so but that's probably because the 12-hour Demazin tablet I took that morning was starting to wear off.

Am I right in thinking the cosplay feed was leaving the Union Hall properly formatted and with the sound all there but dissappearing somewhere on the way to the screening rooms? (That's what I got from the comments I could hear during the delay in starting things off)

edible_hat

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:53 am

You should have seen Barron during Intro to Software Engineering. Although just about anyone in that lecture, including msyelf, would have liked to smash the lecturer's face in for taking 1 hour to waffle and sphincter to say the only 10 seconds of importance, Barron felt it moreso. This should be an amusing semester. ;)
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:45 am

The one thing I learnt about University is how much you're made to waffle.... In essays, theses and oral presentations. It was almost like they awarded your efforts for saying, in 20000 words, what could be said succinctly in 200. Especially if there is only 200 words of information that you can give on any said topic....

blutig Arts courses. :x
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by IceLee » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:04 am

My art history and theory teacher was a b**ch. I left, enough said. lol.
IceLee

by (mad) » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:17 am

that's one of the advantages of engineering, maths and computer science subjects, you have to waffle less.
the problem is that the lecturers often waffle alot and assignments are full of waffle to teach you how to figure out what 3 lines are actually being asked by a page of waffle
anyway, he should be glad it's not software engineering and project, that was crazy stuff
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:45 am

(mad) wrote:that's one of the advantages of engineering, maths and computer science subjects, you have to waffle less.
the problem is that the lecturers often waffle alot and assignments are full of waffle to teach you how to figure out what 3 lines are actually being asked by a page of waffle
anyway, he should be glad it's not software engineering and project, that was crazy stuff

So we were warned in the starting lecture. -_-
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by edible_hat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

My best waffling ever was in Creative Industries and Ethics. I managed to say "Linux > Windows" in 5000 words. And got a HD for it.

edible_hat

by Pirate Man » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 pm

(mad) wrote:that's one of the advantages of engineering, maths and computer science subjects, you have to waffle less.

Hmm, no there is a lot of theorycraft in Computer Science, Enginneering and Maths just cause you 'think' there is less waffle doesn't mean much.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard