AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Hanabee - the third Aussie anime licensing company?

by Last Exile » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 pm

Anime News Network spoke with Eric Cherry, the former CEO of Siren Visual, at Supanova Melbourne this past weekend, regarding his new company, "Hannabee." Although Hannabee's Supanova booth featured only non-anime titles Red vs. Blue and The Guild, Cherry made it clear that Hannabee would focus on Japanese anime, "Hanabee is a new Australian licensing company focusing on Japanese anime and other pop-culture related programs like Red Vs Blue and The Guild."

When asked specifically if Hannabee was an "anime company," Cherry replied, "Definitely! After being involved in licensing some really interesting stuff while at Siren including Dennou Coil, Kaiba and The Tatami Galaxy it became obvious that there's a really rewarding challenge in trying to make the anime market down under a more interesting one. I like some of the innovative ways companies like NIS America and Aniplex of America are navigating through the USA market, and Hanabee aims to expand on that down here. "

Hannabee has not yet announced any anime licenses, however Cherry made it clear that titles would be forthcoming.

Regarding Red Vs. Blue and The Guild, both of which were previously distributed by Siren, Cherry explained, "The Red Vs. Blue license was one that I held outright, so when I quit I brought it over to Hanabee. Same goes for The Guild."

Well...looks like Eric and Leon have parted ways. I hope this doesn't cause problems for local licensing. Leon still seems to have the clout to pick up good titles (Shiki and Thermae Romae being the latest ones after Aria a bit ago) and will probably focus on noitaminA, some old school titles and some quirky new ones and the odd bit off moe. Eric...will he did say he liked how Aniplex and NIS operate. As long as that doesn't involve Aniplex's price models...this could be good. :wink:

In the meantime, Madman's latest licenses are Mayo Chiki, LOL Heroes, Star Drvier, Oreimo, Aquarion EVOL and the Berserk film trilogy.... :x Yeah, one would think Hanabee would do better than Madman at least...
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: Hanabee - the third Aussie anime licensing company?

by Hans Stockmann » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Brace for local release of the Shin vs Neo Blu-ray.
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice