AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

noitaminA and ratings

by Mappy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:30 pm

http://psgels.net/2012/03/08/guilty-cro ... v-ratings/

psgels wrote:SHITTY BROWN – 20 – Or an excuse to ramble about TV-Ratings

ImageImage
ImageImage

Gasp! Could it be? SHITTY BROWN actually observes some basic rules of storytelling for once? The flashback that took up the majority of this episode was pretty much the best part of SHITTY BROWN so far, because 1) it actually bothered to explain things rather than pulling whatever is the most convenient out of its ass, and most importantly 2) it had no blutig Shu in it. Of course the ending of the episode ruined things again, with Shu still being in Jesus-mode and all.

That’s not why I decided to devote this week’s Kaleidoscope to what is in my view the worst Noitamina show ever made. Instead, I found out something interesting that I’d like to share and talk about: Noitamina’s tv-rankings. For a while, I was really afraid when I found out that SHITTY BROWN was selling so well. I really feared that this show will set horrible standards for the future of Noitamina. However, the success of Noitamina isn’t just based on sales, isn’t it? What made the timeslot big in the first place wasn’t the sales at all; it was the ratings it got. I mean, at its height, the timeslot was by far the most popular late-night timeslot out there.

Because of that I decided to look up the ratings of the different Noitamina-shows. They were by all means weird and very inconsistent, but also very interesting. I made a compilation of the average ratings for each pair of series (unfortunately I couldn’t find ratings for each individual show for the double-slots), using data gathered from here, here and here. This season’s Noitamina shows are up to last week’s episode. All of these ratings are in percents.
Honey & Clover – 3,04
Paradise Kiss – 3,19
~ayakashi~ – 3,5
Jyu Oh Sei – 3,5
Honey & Clover 2 – 3,2
Hataraki Man – 4
Nodame Cantabile – 4,39
Mononoke – 3,48
Moyashimon – 4,56
Hakaba Kitarou – 4,8
Library War – 3,47
Antique Bakery – 3,45
Nodame Cantabile Paris – 4,62
Genji Monogatari Sennenki – 3,32
Eden of the East – 3,96
Tokyo Magnitude 8,0 – 3,56
Kuchuu Buranko – 2,66
Nodame Cantabile Finale – 3,25
Sarai-Ya Goyou/Yojou-Han – 2,08
Shiki/Moyashimon Live-Action – 2,56
Shiki/Kuragehime – 2,38
Hourou Musuko/Fractale – 1,76
C/Ano Hana – 2,63
No,6/Usagi Drop – 2,12
Un-Go/SHITTY BROWN – 2,18
Thermae Romae/SHITTY BROWN – 2,17
Black Rock Shooter/SHITTY BROWN – 1,86

Let’s first look at the decline of these ratings, which started with Kuchuu Buranko, and really set through when the timeslot went double length with Sarai-Ya Goyou and Yojou-han Shinwa Taikei, where it reached staggeringly low numbers when you compare it to the previous ratings. After Shiki which aired right afterwards, this also was the last time where Noitamina lost a lot of its experimental touch in terms of animation and scenario and series structure. Quickly afterwards, their strategy of appealing more to a teenaged audience started, with Fractale. This is where the timeslot reached its all-time low with a rating of 1.76.

C and Anohana meanwhile managed to lift up the ratings again slightly, by being overall really well made series (Ano Hana was my favorite series of 2011 for a reason), but the focus at a younger audience remained, culminating in this season, which pretty much is the worst that in terms of actual series (for me at least). The thing is though, that Noitamina’s audience seems to agree. Last week’s ratings were really, really low for the timeslot and that landed it a on the second worst spot, just before Fractale and Hourou Musuko. In other words: the experiment of appealing more to a younger audience… has pretty much failed in terms of rating.

Now, if we look at the kinds of series that in the past did lead to really high ratings, things get a bit weird, because these numbers are rather inconsistent at times. There seems to be one red thread amongst the top performers though: fandom. What’s the best rated Noitamina series out there? It really surprised me when I found out for the first time, but it’s Hakaba Kitarou of all things. The one thing that series did was appeal to everyone who grew up with Gegege no Kitarou, while also giving it a new look and feel. After that comes Nodame Cantabile, which also has a very big built up fanbase, and it also really helped that the first season was incredibly good, solid, and really hard to dislike.

When looking at the series after that though, things get really weird. By far the strangest is how well Ayakashi Japanese Classic Horror did. Out of all the Noitamina-series, that was by far the most experimental and yet it didn’t alienate its audience and delivered a really solid rating of 3.5, the best of the timeslot so far, and until Hataraki Man surpassed it with a random story about a working lady.

And I think that that’s also one of the appeals of why the early slice of life series of the timeslot scored so well: they were really easy to relate to. They were written in a very down to earth way. The latest Noitamina shows however? you can’t really relate to those. Except perhaps for Usagi Drop. Even Anohana: I obviously loved it, along with a lot of other people. But mainstream appeal? It was just too dramatic for that.

And here is the thing: the audience of Noitamina can very much appreciate a good series. Of course I don’t agree with the relatively low ratings for Sarai-Ya Goyou and Yojou-Han, but I love that there is an actual audience for Ayakashi, Mononoke, Nodame Cantabile, Hakaba Kitarou, Honey and Clover, Hataraki Man, Eden of the East, Tokyo Magnitude, and even Genji Monogatari and Antique Bakery. It’s a shame that a lot of the audience was lost during the move to the double time-slot, but it’s also very interesting that another part of the audience doesn’t agree with the move to a younger audience.

You see Noitamina, the reason why that doesn’t work is simple: competition. You started with enabling a hole in the market: series aimed at an older audience at ta time when they are easy to watch, yet they contain a lot of substance to actually make it worth the limited time that adults have inbetween their jobs and studies. However, when you move over to a younger audience, you’ll enter a much more saturated market, in which it’s much harder to stand out. That market is completely different in the way that they consume anime, as shown by the really high dvd sales of SHITTY BROWN, yet really disappointing ratings.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: noitaminA and ratings

by Last Exile » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 pm

The ratings don't mean much. The sales do for the studios and the timeslot.

Best selling noitaminA shows: (average per volume)

AnoHana - 31k
Honey and Clover - 13k
Mononoke - 12k
Library Wars - 10k
SHITTY BROWN - 10k

Are they not catering to adults anymore? Yes, I said that in my Anta Baka report the meeting before. But they need to profit. AnoHana blitzed anything else they've ever done. SHITTY BROWN is also one of the few that has done well for them.

SHITTY BROWN is doing well because of Inori's kuudere-sympathy qualities reminiscent of Rei and Yuki as well as the whole AV idol come yandere thing, mechs and the love triangle between Shu, Inori and Ayase. It's all most people care about. It is terribly written and should be doing better as a show and in sales. But Production I.G. have rarely done this good in sales, so I tolerate it. I don't want to see them go the way of Madhouse.

The true factor is most adults would have enough sense to not buy 2 episodes of anime for 90 dollars. Anime sales reflect fanaticism, ego and extreme loyalty. noitaminA doesn't cater to that much. AnoHana did because Nagai knew how to keep Okada under restraint (from their Toradora days). SHITTY BROWN has enough shounen appeal to work. Black Rock Shooter is a hilarious mess because Okada has no one to control her and not even Imaishi's smooth animation can make up for Ordet butchering heku's artwork and Okada making this painfully bland despite the yuri subtext potential. 3k is not what this show should have garnered and they know it. SHITTY BROWN is somewhat covering the fact January-February offerings from the slot have bombed hard. BRS's merch power should have made this a profiter at the least. But even sure things can be botched, it seems.

In a nutshell, as I said 2 meetings ago, this timeslot will probably go the way of Noise and Anime no Chihara slots unless they find solid titles that have appeal to those who actually buy shows and fit the demographic.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Ratings used to matter with noitaminA, because the timeslot was mostly about the advertisers. They're now hoping the dvd/bd sales will make up for lost revenue. And that being said, the stats you quoted (for GC) were preorders, not actual sales. That's the volume they're hoping these shows will sell, not the actual sales figures per se.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

GC figures for V1 came out a few days ago. It actually did 12.2k. But since nearly all series go down after the first volume, I'm seeing GC to average out at 10k.

At that time of night, it's mainly self-promotion and no revenue for the TV station. Perhaps that was different a few years ago for noitaminA, but not now.

And on what you said in reply, Black Rock Shooter hasn't budged at all from its 3k while nearly anything else from the season has shown some form of increased pre-orders from a week ago. Thermae Romae hardly made an impact in pre-orders, despite it being the show that gave me the most satisfaction from January. So sales-wise, it's been a big bust for noitaminA this season and for involved studios. Amusing to know that 22k figure of the OVA was really inflated by around 20k by the DVD being shipped for free inside the BRS Nendoroid figure box.

If they're going to go on a more shounen/soft seinen angle, they need to shape up because that's a market already catered for in droves. If they want to go to the target market which used to work for them, cater for it properly. *shrug* It's Fuji TV's call in the end.
Disgusting...
Last Exile