AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

LOL Opinions Thread

by Mappy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Thread for saying what you think of certain shows.

Such as:

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
If it wasn't for the fact that this was based upon a manga arc, one would suspect this of being a caricature of the original tv series, as written by someone who watched it back then and only remembers the extreme bits and decided to include all of them here, then animated by the remaining employees of Madhouse who were desperately jealous of those who worked on Hellsing Ultimate and wanted to prove they could do better. Black Lagoon was at its best when it was fairly light-hearted, absurd violence and characters... stories about a company that work as pirates and getaway men in South East Asia, as seen through the eyes of a fallen salaryman, as in the first season. Somewhere along the line, it has just become less fun to watch as Hiroe Rei has weighed the whole thing down with a mountainload of continuity, that is starting to smother every successive arc. I'm not really all that interested in the mechanisms that keep a city like Roanapur operating without intervention from government agencies.... This show needs more Greenback Jane's, not Roberta's Blood Trails.

That being said, it probably wouldn't have been as disappointing if it had been part of a longer tv series. Most seem to be disappointed in the ending, forgetting all of the story arcs in the tv series tended to peter out. It's just that they were usually followed by another episode in a week. Roberta's Blood Trail took about as long to run its 5 episodes as the two tv series took to give us 24. You can't leave people hanging that long and expect them to be wowed by the usual Black Lagoon story ending.

More grumpy old man whingeing to come.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: LOL Opinions Thread

by Mappy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:48 am

Star Driver
If you're going to borrow from series that manage to exude various combinations of coolness, faaaabulous and energy, such as Gurren Lagann and Utena, at the very least you should avoid stuffing up the basics, such as a logical backstory, a logical present, logical characters, a logical plot.... Otherwise you'll end up with a series that looks too tryhard and uses characters who are simply r.etarded. It then doesn't matter how faaaaabulous you try to make everything, it still looks like r.etards trying to be faaaaabulous.

Oh....

Oh.

Oops.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Couldn't have put it better myself then again I did watch it all :) I am a fabulous verzögern XD
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Half the reason I had to watch Star Driver was gone at two thirds distance. The other half proceeded to do b.ugger s.hit d.amn all for the rest of the show. I watched Casshern Sins before this in one sitting. It then took me five days to struggle through this show. I then watched Texhnolyze in one sitting. This either means I like colourless apocalyptic drabfests or Star Driver was s.hit. You decide.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:43 pm

i can't cause i hav'nt watched 2/3 of those shows :P go figure....
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Texhnolyze

Like one big, 22 episode suicide note. Ending doesn't bother me inasmuch as I expected a show this deliberately morose to head that way. But honestly, f.uck the creators of this show. Get over things, already.

Witch Hunter Robin

Series with a deadened pace and style, not least because of Watanabe Akeno deadening Robin's voice.

Rewatching this recently left me surprised at how much faster the pacing was than I remembered. Probably more because of the glacially-paced c.rap I've watched since putting things into perspective.

Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo

Too many characters. Too much going on. Too little thought put into its creation. Considering this is the same crew at Sunrise that gave us Idolmaster Xenoglossia, surprised I am not.

Blood-C

This could be a parody. Though that requires it being funny. Deliberately.
I'm laughing, but I'm not sure that was entirely intended. Mind you, with all the crossover s.hit going on, I'm expecting the next Elder Bairn to be Ika Musume as a promo for the director's next series.

Cowboy Bebop

I've been carrying that weight for the last 13 years. F.uck the haters. This show is perfect. Unless the episode title is "Brain Scratch".

Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai

If Akahori Satoru is involved in writing a series, you can pretty much guess what it will be like. Fortunately, this was made by Gainax when there were still people there who gave a s.hit. That doesn't change the fact that it looks like it desperately wants to be FLCL.

Pani Poni Dash

Back in the day, Shaft still had money to do 26 episode series. Unfortunately, that also gave them time to hammer the already overused jokes until they became funny again because of their overuse. Which doesn't mean they don't do it now, they just have the good grace to split things up into bite-size 12 episode monstrosities. PPD worked because of all of the support characters, and the fact that nothing mattered. At all.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

JORMUNGAND I HOPE THIS TANKS SO BADLY.

by Pirate Man » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:41 pm

WTF.... I MEAN WTF.....

SHITTY BROWN IS BETTER THAN THIS PIECE OF CRAP, AT LEAST SOME OF THE GOOD GUYS DIE IN THE FIRST 13 EPISODES,

WHAT IS THIS verdammt STAR WARS OR SOMETHING WHY NOT SET THE blutig THING IN SPACE AND HAVE PEOPLE NAMED DARTH SIDIOUS OR verdammt SOMETHING WHY NOT HAVE STORM TROOPERS DANCING IN THE verdammt SHOW.

SO SNIPER verdammt RIFLES WORKS FOR THE verdammt GOOD GUYS OR SOMETHING, SO IN SAVING verdammt PRIVATE RYAN WHEN YOUR RUNNING FROM POINT A TO B AND HAVE YOU IN YOUR SIGHTS RUNNING ACROSS THE SNIPER THE verdammt SHOT HITS BUT IN JORMUNGAND WHAT THE ficken ITS CALLED THE BAD GUYS MISSED. I WOULDNT BE SURPISED THEY HAVE A verdammt TANK IN THE SHOW AND THEY LIVE AFTER BEING RUN OVER IT.

WHY NOT HAVE verdammt LUKE SKYWALKER SHOW UP AND DEFLECT ALL THE BULLETS?
WHY NOT HAVE A X-WING FLY DOW N AND BOMB THE BAD GUYS?
THE verdammt SHOW MIGHT MAKE verdammt SENSE IF THIS verdammt HAPPENS BUT NO. BULLETS DONT TRAVEL IN A STRAIGHT LINE THEY TRAVEL IN A verdammt ARC OR HAVE A verdammt LAG OF 1 MINUTE LIKE WHEN PLAYING Mutterunzucht ONLINE CALL OF DUTY.

I HOPE JORMUNGAND TANKS verdammt AWFUL.

*edit* word censors, making capslock troll rants unreadable since 1996. */edit*
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

Re: JORMUNGAND I HOPE THIS TANKS SO BADLY.

by Mappy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:48 am

Mappy wrote:Image

What did you post there? My computer doesn't accept scheiße from 9gag. I presume you like CALL OF DUTY THE ANIME (JORMUNGAND) where the US servers vs dial up Australian servers.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:31 pm

You're trying too hard, Jason.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man