AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

THE FALL 2011 THREAD

by White Demon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Chart 1
Chart 2
Chart 3
F.uck you Garry

EDIT: Those three charts are different to the one I originally posted here before the fertilizer went into the air conditioner.

Click here for the chart I originally posted
GEEKS RULE!

Nerds suck.

(\_/)
(o.o)
((")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him in his quest for world domination.
White Demon
Purveyor of Playlists

Re: THE FALL 2011 THREAD

by GarryGod » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Brüste.
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 am

Settle down, kiddies.

Hmm, maybe this season will be a watchable one.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:14 am

Stop it, Garry, your ego might be over 9000, but it doesn't wash well with the rest of the club, so keep it to yourself in future...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by GarryGod » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm

My account got hacked I had a URL for a image chart that fit the screen and someone changed the post...
Mod: Yeah yeah yeah....suuuurrre
GarryGod
Net Raider

by kiddtic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Apart from the obvious good ones (which is like half the list) I think Bento and C3 might be interesting
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Mappy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 am

Meanwhile, back on the topic....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 am

I'd say about half the shows for this season are at least watchable.....the noticable lack of extreme ecchi is a good thing.... :D
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by kiddtic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 am

Im pretty sure the half Greg is refering is not the half Im talking about ^^'. Good thing is everyone wins
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by kiddtic » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:49 pm

so Persona 4 like blew my mind, coolest looking male lead I have ever seen in any anime EVAR!!!!111!!!

Wow this and Fate/Zero, Working!!, Squid Girl, Bakuman and surprise show Chihayafuru are all amazing. This has got to be the best anime season I have ever seen coz we still have Un-Go, SHITTY BROWN (which should be epic) and Mirai Nikki not forgetting Gundam Age I still have faith in that Gundam.

Are you guys enjoying this season too, or are you all still being cynical "hipsters?"
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Dhumahn » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:22 am

When I get some episodes under my belt I'll give my opinion of things, until then I'll let everyone else say what's good and what's not.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by GarryGod » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:24 am

I ain't no selbstgefälligen idioten but most of this seasons been pre mediocre and boring even ika seems like old hat... I guess i got to the point that modern anime will never surprise me >_>
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 am

No, I agree. I've found pretty much all of the shows thus far to be pretty mediocre. This looks to be a poor season, overall. Just my opinion, of course. For the most part, I'm busy marathoning shows from last season, so my attention span on this one is somewhat limited.

Also, German word filters. ficken scheiße hündin hure reisigbündel, and all that.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by kiddtic » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Well since the theme on this forum seems to be "negative" why must I spoil all the fun huh. If you cant beat em join em right? Ill talk about the shows that I think have started slow starting with:

Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai

I remember getting excited when I first heard that the light novel was getting adapted into an anime, The source material is pretty great and is already very popular and the art style looked very appealing to me.I initially thought it was going to be a Toradora! with more comedy but it turned out to be an Oreimo without the "hurr hurr he's a siscon" jokes. This is not necessarily a bad thing because I absolutely loved Oreimo. The show is centred around friendship and Im a sucker for that kind of stuff add a little otaku culture references and Bam! im sold.

Now that first episode was kind luckluster and not what I expected, it had less drama and more comedy, it was also obvious from the OP that the Directors wanted this show to have more fanservice. I expected more from the show and I hope the next episodes are better than the first.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Bazza » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:09 pm

kiddtic wrote:Well since the theme on this forum seems to be "negative" why must I spoil all the fun huh. If you cant beat em join em right? Ill talk about the shows that I think have started slow starting with:

Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai

[...]but it turned out to be an Oreimo without the "hurr hurr he's a siscon" jokes.[...]

Well, you've just sold this show to me. I loved OreImo too.

This season has Ika Musume II and Working II. So there are no complaints from me.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Bazza wrote:This season has Ika Musume II and Working II. So there are no complaints from me.

Well, they're both entertainingly braindead. Guaranteed to be on the AJAS playlist at some stage. Hopefully they won't be as dull as Baka to Test II turned out to be.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Mappy wrote:dull as Baka to Test II turned out to be.

that bad? wow i am somewhat glad i did'nt watch it for some reason...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Dhumahn » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:36 pm

GarryGod wrote:
Mappy wrote:dull as Baka to Test II turned out to be.

that bad? wow i am somewhat glad i did'nt watch it for some reason...

Yes, but you still bought the first season :P
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by GarryGod » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:40 pm

and?
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Dhumahn » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:56 pm

And it was well worth the money, since I also have it :lol:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Bazza » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:55 am

Mappy wrote:Well, they're both entertainingly braindead.

I watched 3 seasons and some OAVs of a show about art students. This is nothing. 8)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Bazza wrote:I watched 3 seasons and some OAVs of a show about art students. This is nothing. 8)

You aren't finished yet. 8)

kiddtic wrote:Well since the theme on this forum seems to be "negative" why must I spoil all the fun huh.

There comes a point where everything looks the same as before, and you start to understand just how much Japan loves familiarity. 42 years of Sazae-san is a clear indication of this. They also have had a recent need for slow and boring. Or, more succinctly, even if it is the most amazing show ever made, it is hard to get over the terrible Persona: Trinity Soul when watching Persona 4 The Animation, or Shakugan no Shana II when watching Shakugan no Shana Final. If you watch it at all.

I watch everything, though, because I'm an obsessive completist. And that isn't easy when you trudge through Kamisama no Memochou wondering why they just didn't refer to Alice as a reincarnation of Victorique from Gosick. It would've made more sense that way.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by kiddtic » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:13 pm

There comes a point where everything looks the same as before, and you start to understand just how much Japan loves familiarity

Yeah I totally get that trust me I do. I just find it shocking when the general consensus is that shows are boring when you have stuff like Fate/Zero, are you guys watching the same show I am? coz that series is frikkin amazing! and this is coming from someone who is not a 'Type-Moon fanboy'.

IDK guess Im just good at filtering shows I wont enjoy from the ones I will, it keeps my interest levels at a peak.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Mappy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:42 pm

kiddtic wrote:Fate/Zero

To be frank, I haven't got round to watching this yet. Of course, I've watched the other Fate adaptations. And I won't be doing that, again, in a hurry....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Mappy wrote:
kiddtic wrote:Fate/Zero

Fate adaptations.

thats pretty much all they are adaptations of popular original work that they recreate with animated series some work some don't... most of all they don't...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Dhumahn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Mappy wrote:
Bazza wrote:I watched 3 seasons and some OAVs of a show about art students. This is nothing. 8)

Is this SZS?? Or am I missing something? :?

Mappy wrote:
kiddtic wrote:Well since the theme on this forum seems to be "negative" why must I spoil all the fun huh.

There comes a point where everything looks the same as before, and you start to understand just how much Japan loves familiarity. 42 years of Sazae-san is a clear indication of this. They also have had a recent need for slow and boring. Or, more succinctly, even if it is the most amazing show ever made, it is hard to get over the terrible Persona: Trinity Soul when watching Persona 4 The Animation, or Shakugan no Shana II when watching Shakugan no Shana Final. If you watch it at all.

I watch everything, though, because I'm an obsessive completist. And that isn't easy when you trudge through Kamisama no Memochou wondering why they just didn't refer to Alice as a reincarnation of Victorique from Gosick. It would've made more sense that way.

I think its more do with the fact that you reach a point where your own personal expectations are high enough that almost everything looks bad. Thankfully I haven't reached that point, since I'm the sort that keeps an open mind :D
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:00 am

Dhumahn wrote:
Mappy wrote:

Is this SZS?? Or am I missing something? :?

You're missing something. You're on the right track, though. 8)

GarryGod wrote:most of all they don't...

I remember people being excited that Tsukihime was being made into an anime way back.
You know the running joke about there being no Tsukihime anime? Yeah, most of them don't work.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 am

Hidamari Sketch??
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 am

There, that was easy, wasn't it? :D
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:26 am

Lol, yeah....you get confused after the first 10 years of anime :P
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by kiddtic » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:47 am

Adaptations huh, well lets look at some of the recent adapatations and see how bad they were.

Steins;Gate = Awesome, definetly in my top 20 of all time
Durarara!! = I rate this show very very very highly
Baccano! = renown for having one of the best dubs in recent times, its also pretty epic
Spice & Wolf = not a bad show by any means, slow but not bad
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya = poster boy for modern anime
Bakemonogatari = a series of clipshows and text and yet it still managed to capture its audiences and more
Clannad = A show that looks and feels as generic as anything could possibly be and yet it is hailed as one of, if not the best romcom anime.

IDK that looks pretty good to me.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Mappy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:14 am

Yes, but none of those are Type Moon adaptations, are they? Only Kara no Kyoukai even rates in my estimation. Everything else has been pretty terrible (read: slooooowwwww).

All the series you have mentioned have many strong plus points. But I'm still going to rate them according to their general worthiness alongside all those other titles I've watched over the years. If I give Bakemonogatari a 5-6/10, it isn't because I think BMG is a completely horrible show, it is because it falls aroundabouts my better than average estimation. Otherwise I was pretty dysthymic whilst watching it.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 am

Mappy wrote:dysthymic

I have learnt a new word today. :)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:04 am

Watched 23 titles as of seeing Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing today.

My thoughts - THE LONG VERSION

Short Version. Worst to First Order.
------------------------------------------

C3 - How to not make a series. Especially when staying in protoype mode.

Horizon - This is why large casts don't work. Sunrise put the cue in the rack.

Maken-ki - Ecchi shows require good-looking bodies and character art. They're not present here. Plus I never thought something trying to copy Maburaho would be worse than Maburaho.

Majikoi Samurai Girls - Very weak battle animation, generic dating sim adaptation, too many characters to follow.

Gundam AGE - It's the end of Gundam as we know it. And I DON'T feel fine!

Kimi to Boku - Implanting fujioshi bait into a moe atmosphere show DOESN'T work!

Shana S3 - Stop focusing on boring love triangle!

Working!! S2 - Nothing could ever make me like anyone in that cast. Ever.

Hunter x Hunter - The 1999 version avoided being generic shounen and was cool. This remake is generic shounen and not cool.

Mashiroiro Symphony - A good dating sim adaptation requires stellar visuals. Manglobe's visuals for this show are poor. And this is freaking slow to boot.

Persona 4 - Could have been interesting but some aspects can't be transferred from game to anime without alteration. Plus mass staff walkouts tend to kill a show.

Tamayura - The OVA was interesting. THIS ISN'T.

Ben-To - Had an interesting concept but let down by poor execution, annoyingly & unnecessarily violent cast and bad fanservice attempts.

Chibi Devi - Kind of watchable...which says a lot about the shows listed before this.

Phi-Brain - Cool concept but cockblock male lead and pointless tsundere female lead kill my interest.

Squid Girl S2 - More of the same. Will watch it - eventually.

SHITTY BROWN - Spellbinding animation, potentially interesting scenario. But stop being so similar to Code Geass, already! STOP IT!

UN-GO - Cool quirky art style, good character cast. Best genderbender character in years. But for the love of...start getting some good whodunnit mysteries! And explain the world setting already...

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - Not trying to be special or even pretending to be in any way. Manga has been somewhat altered to end up as Ore no Imouto 2.0 and AIC are not hiding the fact. But the visuals are good, the characters look fun, Sena has my favourite line of the year. Since it's honest about what it intends to do, I'm in!

Last Exile:Fam the Silver Wing - Brilliant animation, best CGI I've seen in a TV series for a LONG TIME. Cool cast but glut of females and lack of males a bit worrying. Potential for a good story but original Last Exile needed 5 episodes to reveal the main plot. I expect this to need that long too. Fam is cool - I can't belive Aki Toyosaki was able to do this without being like Yui from K-ON. DIO IS FLOCKWIN. Thank you Madman for a decent high-quality stream for free. As long as it builds to something bigger, this will be brilliant.

Mirai Nikki - Best thriller in a long while. Basic premise sort of similar to Eden of the East's premise but since this show is so twisted and Yuno is one hilarious stalker, I don't care. Needs better atmosphere but it's doing most things right. Gonna love watching them fall one by one!

Fate/Zero - Sam considers this the best adaptation of anything he has ever seen after seeing 3 episodes. I'm of similar opinion. Is it slow? Yes - with Nasu writing the novels, how can't it be? Is it very twisted? Yes - Urobuchi writing tends to be. Is it very troll? Yes - it's Type-Moon. But F U C K ! ! !, ufotable are adapting this properly! The seiyuus for Saber and Irisviel are divine. The story is flowing well. The character motivations and rivals are set up, albeit with a flocking long first episode. Male Rider making Waver his hündin is win. Caster and random psycho being insane maniacs duo is win. Saber and Irisviel interaction is win. The visuals look great. The Fate universe finally makes sense! Pity Deen may have tainted too many people with their over-moefied Fate/Stay Night adaptation to the point they might not be able to appreciate how good this is since there's mainly males here now.

Chihayafuru - Best. Of. The. Season. So. Far. Amazingly good writing, one damn dynamic character trio. Makes a cultural aspect I wouldn't normally know about be fascinating. Animation is gorgeous. OP theme is fantastic. This show is just freaking brilliant! Doubt many will realise it though.

This is actually a good season. I care to watch 8 titles after only liking 2 titles from the first 3 seasons of 2011. Give this seasona go is all I can say.

Peace.
Disgusting...
Last Exile