THE SUMMER 2011 THREAD

by Dhumahn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:24 pm

"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: THE SUMMER 2011 THREAD

by GarryGod » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 pm

to soon!~
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Dhumahn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:30 pm

read the starting date of the spring thread Garry, it's not too soon :P
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by GarryGod » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:40 pm

its too soon to discuss a season thats not coming till we FINISH THE ONE WE JUST STARTED!!!~
GarryGod
Net Raider

by kiddtic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:36 pm

GarryGod wrote:its too soon to discuss a season thats not coming till we FINISH THE ONE WE JUST STARTED!!!~

I agree, last season we did this and then things changed. So we now know not to do this (I hope that made sense)
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Mappy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:29 pm

GarryGod wrote:its too soon to discuss a season thats not coming till we FINISH THE ONE WE JUST STARTED!!!~

How about we stop discussing the Spring 2011 season BECAUSE THERE ARE SHOWS FROM WINTER THAT HAVEN'T FINISHED YET!!!!

Or, more succinctly, here's a thread you don't have to create, Garry.

Cheers.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:41 pm

BUT I LUUUV MAKING THREADS!!! :D
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:45 pm

I noticed.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by kiddtic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 am

Is a new chart up yet? Some trailers have started popping up already. Im still only looking forward to Usagi Drop, No.6 which are incedentally both noitaminA and Sacred Seven from Sunrise.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by GarryGod » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:04 am

kiddtic wrote:Is a new chart up yet? Some trailers have started popping up already. Im still only looking forward to Usagi Drop, No.6 which are incedentally both noitaminA and Sacred Seven from Sunrise.

quote]
Image if this didn't come up it's cause I was posting on toilet :whistling:
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:25 am

Sacred Seven - I get the feeling there's a decent story to be told in this somewhere. But the director's track record indicated he'd be more interested in stuffing around, getting females into maid outfits for no reason whatsoever. I expected those. What I didn't expect was for the terrible pacing in this opening episode. It's frustratingly hard to get into a groove or a mood with Sacred Seven until the final few minutes because it cuts from scene to scene with little happening until that point. And the character animation is bad...definitely well below normal Sunrise standards. Only the CG/battle sections get some decent care. Battle hardly lasted long enough and those talking statue heads get tiresome after a few one-liners. Seems rather weird Sunrise would be wasting time on something like this.

Blood-C - Oh, boy...It's slash em up in FABULOUS mode! Truth be told, I didn't find much wrong with this first offering. Main problem was I didn't find too much to like. For all its nicely rendered cell animation, backgrounds and somewhat decent battle, it seemed to take its sweet time to go anywhere. Seems to like spending a fair amount of filler time just walking, which reminded me how much the insanely skinny and spider-like long legs that are usual in CLAMP were rather creepy. Classmates are rather sedate and too cutesy. But hey, since it's CLAMP in the mix, no surprise it's got so much glamour and sugaring things up in general. What I will give it is that this offering irritated me less than the movie and the series from last decade. Might give it one more episode to see if it's going to do anything more than be 19 minutes of being fabulous and 3 minutes of slash each episode. A bit of story or detail to why people know each other aside from cafe boy would be nice.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Last Exile » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:21 am

Morita - Yet another slice-of-life comedy that is going to be very subjective. I.e. It's not going to be funny for everyone. Overall, I found this weaker than A Channel, which happened to be one of the most painful things I saw in April, so this was rather regrettable.

Twin Angel Paradise - As far as parodies of magical girls go...this is pretty freaking...bland...aside from that catnip moment but that was hardly anything worth raving on about.

Idolmaster - WYSIWYG. 13 girls being J-idols. It's based off of a game that made you an idol's manager and to take her to the big time. This is really chalk-and-cheese quality-wise compared to what A-1 did with Ano ni Hana. Facial animation is terribad. Cells are wispy thin full-stop to the point of having about as much expression as something decades ago. Amusingly, there is quite a bit of silent dialogue - boy, are they cheaping out on a lot of things in this show, although they did come up with a gimmick. Which is somewhat surprising since this was a game that had a decent supporter base. Subject matter is exactly as I expected - what surprised me was how low the production values were. Doesn't seem like much of a budget was given for this title, which will be a major stumbling block since a show like this is heavily reliant on looking good. Curious as to which idol(s) will be the most popular. I'm expecting Makoto to be one of them.

Kamisama no Memo-chou - The Gosick 2.0 tag has been passed around a lot for this title. And considering the scenario, it's somewhat justified. However, the currently trendy theme of 'otaku being all-powerful' is far more prevalent here than in Gosick, almost in a Stein's Gate way. It's J.C. Staff in recent times to a T - although it's been given more care with its aesthetics than most of the titles I've seen this season. As is the case with J.C. Staff these days, progression of any story therein will be the base-level minimum required. And unfortunately, thus far the subject material hasn't been that captivating. Gosick had more going for it in that department and Stein's Gate managed to have some relatively solid characterisation. The scenario and character backgrounds may already have set too many constraints for this to go anywhere major. But J.C. Staff are regularly churning out 10k+ sellers because they have a formula - perhaps this will get there. Still, I get the feeling they're holding back for Shana S3.

Croisee - This is a bit of an intriguing one. The thought of seeing someone in a kimono in the middle of 19th century Paris is quite a quirk. The cell animation - mediocre for the greater part but Yume is certainly given some love. The background art is quite nice though - landmarks like the Arc de Triumph come up quite well. Clearly someone paid attention during their research visit. Culture shock moments make for amusing times - Claude getting rattled by Yume bowing was a good touch. This has that unlikely dynamic duo aspect that has the potential for some good times. Music suits the mood/atmosphere fairly well. This doesn't set the world on fire, but it does have a certain charm to it. Hopefully this show won't suffer too much being in the same season as Bunny Drop. Will be continuing with this one for the time being.

Bunny Drop - Aside from some mediocre animation (particularly early in the episode), this has the makings of something special. Rather than an episode being geared up around a single moment or two that is the case with so many shows these days, this has a consistent pace and interest level throughout. Clever piano-based mood music, a placid vibe and watercolour art - this won't be for everyone. I normally don't like kids, but Rin is so utterly charming - perhaps because she doesn't have the brattiness or annoying qualities most of the people her age possess. Rin does have a curious nature but knows where to draw the line. She knows when to zip it and be polite. And she is rather clever with how she wins Daikichi over. Daikichi certainly feels like the black sheep of the family - perhaps that's why the two get along - they see the world differently to others. However, there is the issue of the ending...since the manga has finished...certainly, the manga ending is causing A LOT of conflict for people since they love this series but are rather creeped out by where this will go. That said, I'm not creeped out by the apparent end. I'd like to see how this goes, because this is the most interesting show I've watched this year. Siren - thumbs up for getting hold of this. I'm going to be very amused by how anime communities in general react to the ending. :lol: Interesting to note that Maaya Sakamoto voices Masako, one of the side characters. Good to see she's still around.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:46 pm

well from what i've noticed so far this season.....

ryo kyu bu: what was expected from its description minderjährigen mädchen basketball some what cute and funny seeing little girl surrounded by toys and teddy's while playing her psp NBA jam
overall ahhh yeah minderjährigen mädchen basketball will watch till its unwatchable

Croisee: i hate france i hate french people in general there pricks... for once i actually enjoyed watching a anime set in france and it was'nt the fact it had a good character but the overall relationships between two mains is there and striving... not sure what to get from this series will watch untill unwatchable

Blade: yeah it was pretty lol doing a reverse there madhouse...i think i might drop

sacred seven: not much can be told... similar outlook as mendes execpt i was expecting something more reliable from sunrise guess they are loosing there touch... will watch till i drop

yuruyuri: ahhh no i don't think i can really get into another show like this... drop

nyanpire the animation: best show of the season dudez and it has half the cast of code geass not to mention GONZO animation watch cause kawaii

no.6: argh Bones anime dos'nt really hold for episode one kinda boring and not eventful enough watch till drop

mawaru penguindrum: lol best show of the season so far cause FABulous... its so funny seeing the utena scene's and motif's that he did over a deacade ago... its incredible i like it alot

usagi drop: this show got too much hype but overall its very watchable decent casting animation value is good the story is somewhat original but with this type of setting i can forsee a possible ending scenario likely over %50 chancu~

IdolM@ster: yeah its mad and bad... but god is its saiyuu line up redicioulas and heavy... its a possible watch but if it gets bad its gone...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by kiddtic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:45 am

No.6 Im going to watch because the setting is totally awesome, I really want to know what technology they are using and what they use it for. The other "colonies" and what they have and last but not least the potential Yaoi. Ive never seen or had the interest to see a yaoi anime before but if No.6 do it just right it might be "unique" and "groundbreaking." My anime circle thinks this might go the way of Fractale i.e. Awesome setting, awesome plot potential but shitty ending. I just hope we get a cute moe character :)

Usagi Drop: totally what I expected so im not disapointed or impressed. By the way my expectations were high. Rin looks so cute I hope she gets mor screen time with her comedic hijinks

Idolm@ster: I wanted a slice of life comedy with 12 heroines but I got a harem. Oh well ill keep watching till I lose interest.

Mawaru Penguindrum: its like Utena and Utena didnt impress me.

well ill keep watching till I lose interest.

Mawaru Penguindrum: its like Utena and Utena didnt impress me.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Hans Stockmann » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:54 pm

kidditc wrote:Utena didnt impress me.

Feel like elaboarting on that one?

In the meantime, I might as well toss out initial impressions for the shows I've watched so far.

Blood-C: As trite as these sorts of "moody shows with a muted palette and a girl who has a katana" shows are, it's been so long since one came out that it's almost a breath of fresh air. Bonus points for Clamp noodle people shenanigans, good actors and a fight scene that actually had things like detailing and a framerate. Will probably stick with if only so I can completely purge any remaining memories of The Last Vampire and +.

Blade: Reaction images. Bad rock music. Continual flashbacks to his conception. The most shameless budget-saving edits I've seen in ages. DR MOVIE. Yeah, this is pretty much solid gold for getting quick giggles. Far more so than Iron man's embarrassingly shoddy craftsmanship and Wolverine's immense mediocrity.

Mawaru Penguin Drum: I was expecting something that was stupid and looks cool because this is, well, Ikuhara and some new harem he's built. It exceeded those simple expectations by a long shot. I wasn't expecting him to be that stupid from the first ep.

Nyanpire: AWESOME
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by kiddtic » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:33 am

About Utena, I had very very high expectations from it looking back I guess it was unrealistic I wanted it to blow me away. Everyone speaks very very highly of it so I figured its gotta be super awesome but when I saw it I just didnt get it. The story is pretty mediocre and none of the characters interest me except the mascot. Then theres the whole lets put stuff in this just cause we can, I have nothing against "fabulous" shows infact I like the idea only if iits done with a proper reason. Im still watching Princess Tutu and that makes sense, the atmosphere only changes when it needs to in certain situations and as fantastical as the story is its very well written and solid. The characters are also interesting all of them..okay maybe except Mytho.

long story short I dont get it.

*Fixed it Happy Garry?
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by GarryGod » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:41 am

Are you broken?
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Hans Stockmann » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:13 am

I see. So, with that in mind, what's your opinion on The Rocky Horror Picture Show?
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by kiddtic » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Im sorry ill fix the post when I get on a PC. I use my phone to post so please forgive the errors it occasionally makes.

I have not seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show, Ive heard of it. Someone told me it is similar to Sweeney Todd and that movie easily makes my top 10.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Last Exile » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:13 am

Bunny Drop ep2 - Pretty smooth episode. Best in-episode music I've heard in quite a while, ED theme is nice. Lots of cute/amusing moments and the mood requirement is being met. Seems to be building to a major spanner in the works in the next episode or two. This isn't setting the world on fire, but at its own pace and in its own way, it's quite enthralling. Only question now is - will it or won't it? :wink:
Disgusting...
Last Exile