AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Sekirei Sells Out at Retail?

by GarryGod » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Earlier this week Funimation let out a rare note announcing that Sekirei sold out at retail.

Sekirei The Complete Series, an action anime featuring voluptuous vixens, sold out at retail in its first week following its release on November 23. The title ranked #1 for new anime series releases for Nielsen VideoScan First Alert Week Ending Nov 28, 2010!

We at FUNimation have rushed manufacturing and are now replenishing our accounts with more DVD’s of Sekirei The Complete Series. Please check with your favorite retailer or online store for availability. We give thanks to the fans that bought Sekirei last week and our apologies to the fans that have had to wait for this second shipment to hit stores. We love the series and are glad that you do also. Happy viewing!

While this is big news in the industry that sees breaking even as a massive success, I have to wonder how it was accomplished.

Typically, initial production runs for anime DVDs hover around the 2-5000 boxed unit mark so assuming the Nielsen VideoScan numbers are correct, this means that majority of sales happened outside of the typical online marketplaces and most of the inventory went to brick & mortar retailers. Making an optimistic assumption of a 5000 unit run at $59.99 MSRP, this means that Sekirei made $299,950 for Funimation, which would be a good amount depending on the license fee paid to Aniplex. Considering the state of the industry and the shrinking pool of customers, any series that can break $50K in sales in the US is considered a bonafide hit now thanks to the aftermath of the bubble and the move to complete series sets.

How much of this was also due to the advertising blitzes on sites such as Japanator, ANN and Sankaku Complex is a bit more nebulous due to the fact that those numbers are harder to quantify thanks to the amount of traffic involved as well as the differences in audience attitudes towards buying anime. Sankaku curries the favor of the “hardcore anime fan” that relishes piracy, while Japanator and ANN proudly brandish their pro-industry support and review fansubs as a matter of entertaining its audience while featuring ads from the company for its latest titles.

I’m still on the fence as to whether this is a good thing, but the fact that Funimation even bothered to send out a note congratulating themselves for Sekirei selling out its initial shipment tells me that either they are doing really well as a company, or that the rest of the industry is in such bad shape that one B grade title selling through its initial manufacturing run is a good thing.
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

Re: Sekirei Sells Out at Retail?

by Dhumahn » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:29 pm

How the hell did that happen?? :?

...oh, and an entire garry post with no spelling errors, well done :)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by GarryGod » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:13 pm

GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Frankly, I think this just proves that a substantial proportion of America are literally dickbrains.

What's scary is that those sales would be break-even territory in Japan.

What's scarier is what it implicates for licenses in the near future....
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:24 pm

so this is suppose to be there so called " next big hit" after code geass ruled over 2009 marketing....
i thought it might be something good... then i relized i watched all of sekirei and ~pure engagement...did nothing for me...
clearly americans are very much more likely to follow in japans way of fan service mind you there's allready been enough Harem, fighting animes out there this is'nt the next big thing...
maybe its cause seven arcs is racking in enough money from the nanoha movie it's luck has rubbed off on some of its other series they've done...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Hans Stockmann » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:17 am

Last Exile wrote:What's scarier is what it implicates for licenses in the near future....

Nothing at all. This is why ADV still finds ways to exist.
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by Mappy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 am

Low production run will do this for a title.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Hans Stockmann » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

That didn't help Geneon USA, man.
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by Mappy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Geneon USA were incompetent, though. Especially in the marketing.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:29 pm

You know what makes this piece of news now somewhat good news?

That Milky Holmes is now the 2nd highest title of the October season in Japan....

/khaaaan /khaaaan /khaaaan
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:45 pm

i should get around to watching that show after i've finished some tekkaman, yamato, captain harlock are good representations of milky holmes...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Sekirei is just average. On the same level as Sora no Otoshimono. Probably the right kind of thing to watch and give your brain a rest after much better shows.... But you really wouldn't watch it for any other reason.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Mappy wrote:Sekirei is just average. On the same level as Sora no Otoshimono. Probably the right kind of thing to watch and give your brain a rest after much better shows.... But you really wouldn't watch it for any other reason.

boobs?
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:36 am

As I said....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man