AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Yoshitoshi Abe working on new series - Despera

by Last Exile » Mon May 25, 2009 4:28 am

I.e. The genius behind Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei, as well as his regular manga piece in Range Murata's ROBOT project.

In a Thursday blog entry, manga creator and character designer Yoshitoshi ABe (Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei) confirmed reports from last month's Sakura-Con 2009 event that he is developing a new anime with many of the staffers of the Lain anime, but made a clarification on the title. The correct title for the project is Despera (ですぺら), which is derived from the shortened version of the term "desperado." He acknowledged that he was speaking fast at the event in Seattle, so his words may have come across jumbled. He also confirmed, to his knowledge, that the official announcement on the project will be coming soon.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... is-despera

Very good news indeed! Good news for me. Good news for Mappy. Good news for Barron. :wow:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: Yoshitoshi Abe working on new series - Despera

by Hans Stockmann » Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I suppose I've nearly recovered enough from my last rewatch of Lain to give it another whirl.
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by Last Exile » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:43 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... on-despera

Chiaki J. Konaka, the series script supervisor of Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, and Hellsing, has revealed on Friday that he is collaborating with manga creator/character designer Yoshitoshi ABe and director Ryutaro Nakamura on their new project called Despera. The last time that all three artists had worked together was on the Lain anime series. ABe had revealed the project's existence at Washington state's Sakura-Con 2009 convention in April.

The official announcement and introduction for the project will be made in the July issue of Tokuma Shoten's Animage magazine on Wednesday. (Animage will celebrate its 31st anniversary in that issue.) A graphic novel version will begin a one-year serialized run in the following issue on July 10. Konaka adds that there will also be a "follow-up project" on Animage's website that will be detailed later.

Thank you to weils for the news tip.

Update: According to Moon Phase Comments, the title is derived from a poem from the Dadaist poet Jun Tsuji (1884-1944). The story centers around Ain, a 14-year-old girl who builds devices despite the lack of the scientific background required for them. The science-fiction story is set in Japan's Taishō era in 1922 — one year before the 1923 Great Kantō earthquake in the Tokyo area.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Hans Stockmann » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:36 pm

Last Exile wrote:The story centers around Ain, a 14-year-old girl who builds devices despite the lack of the scientific background required for them. The science-fiction story is set in Japan's Taishō era in 1922 — one year before the 1923 Great Kantō earthquake in the Tokyo area.

Oh goodie. Time for a heart-wrenching tale of being unable to fight fate.
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice