AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Female friendships in anime - aka a world without males...

by Last Exile » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 am

Female friendships

Are they just trying to make people hate them? They spend most of the article ranting about only two series and any series compromised with mainly females that guys like is automatically blacklisted? Yes, NANA and other series/titles like it were good for their emotional intimacy and for being genuine relationships compared to others in its type, but the way they start talking gets rather dangerous.

I don't know whether this rant or their fansubs rant is more outrageous. I smell another flame-fest on their site incoming somehow.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: Female friendships in anime - aka a world without males...

by Atory » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:38 am

The thing I would be asking is why shounen series are able to have the "Just believe in friendship and teamwork!" mantra. Friendships in shounen manga/anime can be totally unwavering, never fighting amongst each other, lasting even beyond death. Shoujo manga/anime never has this quality. Even the best example of female friendships in anime always have conflict. Is it that females enjoy having at least a bit of conflict? If there were to be a series made that had the same unwavering friendship for females, would it be labeled as unbelievable?
Atory
UniSAGA President

Re: Female friendships in anime - aka a world without males...

by Last Exile » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:44 am

Atory wrote:The thing I would be asking is why shounen series are able to have the "Just believe in friendship and teamwork!" mantra. Friendships in shounen manga/anime can be totally unwavering, never fighting amongst each other, lasting even beyond death. Shoujo manga/anime never has this quality. Even the best example of female friendships in anime always have conflict. Is it that females enjoy having at least a bit of conflict? If there were to be a series made that had the same unwavering friendship for females, would it be labeled as unbelievable?

That is just exceptional right there, Scott. I'd never quite realised that before.

Perhaps they are unwilling to believe that a friendship can be put on the screen and be without conflict. It seems this trio wouldn't believe it. However, if the genders were changed, yes..it would be interesteing to see how that trio and those like them would react.
Disgusting...
Last Exile