AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

code geass on ABC2...

by GarryGod » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:18 pm

yeah was watching my usual day of television and was so happy that death note was finally finished on ABC2 so i was wondering? what can they put on next?
to my dissapointment and bad timing it was none other then code geass...
personly i dont give **** but it would have been nice if it was something i aint seen cause like right now i am trying to build the boxset and if u dont know only 2 vol out next one isnt out for like 65 days or something

i thought i would like to point it out love or hate it. its going to be aired on australian television... (btw little bit intoxicated due to afta work drinks so dont worry about my layback approach to this...)
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

Re: code geass on ABC2...

by Dhumahn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:34 pm

That's because you have to wait for the Americans to release it first (which is how I get it before you :) )
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by GarryGod » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Dhumahn wrote:That's because you have to wait for the Americans to release it first (which is how I get it before you :) )

meh thats your choice i personally dont buy many dvd's from other regional coded places, i only got 1 which i regret and thats the american version of cowboy bebop: the movie (thank you shin tokyo and regional code policy :evil: )
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Madman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Personally, i prefer Black Lagoon and Blood+ on Foxtel!
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Last Exile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:07 pm

Funnily enough I'm watching Code Geass for the third time now.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Last Exile wrote:Funnily enough I'm watching Code Geass for the third time now.

lol wow u must really like it so. personally this is the only anime i liked which involved mecha suits this and the other anime i am not allowed to talk about :evil:
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:47 pm

That and I'm trying to contsruct a good review on it. AnimeNFO and AnimeSuki are rather ruthless. Suki has had a dare from the moment it finished for someone who thought it was a 10/10 series to right a solid review to justify why.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by xandox » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:47 pm

... I decided to watch an episode this on ABC2 just to hear the quality of the dub...

whilst I acknowledge the accessibility of dubbing Anime in English (it's how I got into Anime) the Dub for this is HORRIBLE!!!!

Which is disappointing for a series as good as this one since I've heard dubs done well.

It's halfway through the episode so far... can't take it any longer... /khaaaan :wallbash:
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by Dhumahn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:07 pm

I will admit, that dub was rather flat (I have seen better)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:18 pm

I find one's ability to like dubs is proportional to how American they are.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Well, I'll be honest and say that there have been dubs that I like, and those that I don't, for various reasons.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 pm

So what is it in particular that makes the CG one deplorable? Lelouch not sounding charming, scheming and alluring? Kallen not vivacious and passionate? C.C. not mature and seductive? Suzaku not a complete goof?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:50 pm

honestly who wants to read subtitles all the time and listen to a language thats not english some people just wanna watch anime? if u dont like it then thats your choice weither u watch it or not personally i will watch any anime as long as there is a english version cause its more simple and easier to watch only when its completely neccissary to watch it in subs due to dub release but then again japanese voices i think from a critic point of view has some sorta emotion? i cant quit it out but it does fell more energetic than english voice oh and cross gender V.A anime are the worst things ever.(e.g edward elric i am lookin at you :ph34r:)
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Bazza » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:44 am

GarryGod wrote:oh and cross gender V.A anime are the worst things ever.(e.g edward elric i am lookin at you :ph34r:)

Whats wrong with being voiced by the RIE?

And the only people capable of producing prepubescent boys' voices are prepubescent boys or women . And one group is hindered by child employment laws. You'd be surprised just how many boys/men in anime have female V.A's. Oh and lets not forget Bart Simpson of America has a female V.A too. :wink:

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by GarryGod » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 am

Bazza wrote:
GarryGod wrote:oh and cross gender V.A anime are the worst things ever.(e.g edward elric i am lookin at you :ph34r:)

Whats wrong with being voiced by the RIE?

And the only people capable of producing prepubescent boys' voices are prepubescent boys or women . And one group is hindered by child employment laws. You'd be surprised just how many boys/men in anime have female V.A's. Oh and lets not forget Bart Simpson of America has a female V.A too. :wink:

what i am trying to say is that when a women voices a male character they gotta sound like a male. i knew someone would bring up bart simpson's =nancy cartwright thats why she sounds like a 10 year old american boy it just dosnt seem to work with the japanese voices sorry to say also btw i am watching ruroni kenshin and i just finished the second season and there's alot of cross gender voices e.g sojiro tenken and etc.
GarryGod
Net Raider

by khajiit » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:12 am

If find I like the english dubs of certain things over the original japanese and visa versa depending on the particular anime. More western styled ones like Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Gunslinger Girl, Irresponsible Captain Tylor (with the exceptions of the OP and ED) and Coyote Ragtime Show, I prefer the English dub of, as it sounds more authentic (not to mention that both Steve Blum and Crispin Freeman are both excellent VA's)

On the other hand, some shows just sound wrong in english (ie Azumanga Daioh, Haruhi, Lucky Star, Excel Saga) So really it goes on a case by case basis, although I'm hoping I'll soon be able to develop my japanese enough to watch the majority of my anime in japanese, and actually look at the picture more than the subtitles :P
khajiit

Location: In the netherworld, casting Giga Star at prinnies 8D

by Atory » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:56 am

Steve Blum I would generally agree on but Crispin Freeman depends on the role. If it's a warrior type voice he's great, other than that it sucks... Hideki anyone?

I too preferred the English voices in FMA. The Japanese female ones just sounded really odd in comparison.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by White Demon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:57 am

Madman wrote:Personally, i prefer Black Lagoon and Blood+ on Foxtel!

That's alright if you can afford the extra channels.

Since I've only got the basic package, I'm chillin' with BoBoBo at the moment.

GarryGod wrote:honestly who wants to read subtitles all the time and listen to a language thats not english some people just wanna watch anime? if u dont like it then thats your choice weither u watch it or not personally i will watch any anime as long as there is a english version cause its more simple and easier to watch only when its completely neccissary to watch it in subs due to dub release but then again japanese voices i think from a critic point of view has some sorta emotion? i cant quit it out but it does fell more energetic than english voice oh and cross gender V.A anime are the worst things ever.(e.g edward elric i am lookin at you :ph34r:)

The subs vs dubs debate will go on forever.

Personally I go on a case by case basis. Of those I have seen both sub and dub, some (such as Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Inuyasha, especially Fullmetal Alchemist and yes even Code Geass) I prefer the dub, while others (such as Excel Saga, Onegai Teacher, Midori No Hibi, She The Ultimate Weapon (Saikano) and especially Ranma and Azumanga Daioh) I prefer the dub.

-----
ps I hate laptop keyboards.
GEEKS RULE!

Nerds suck.

(\_/)
(o.o)
((")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him in his quest for world domination.
White Demon
Purveyor of Playlists

by Mappy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:34 pm

My philosophy on this has always been simple: anime is made in Japan, so watch it in Japanese.

I'm not going to harass people into changing their dub-tastes, though. If they want to watch anime in irritating and grating American accents, it's not for me to teach them otherwise. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:45 pm

i undastand were ur coming from "when in rome do as the roman's do"
we should just leave it with that. if u want tradition do it traditionaly...

lol so much for a thread about code geass on ABC2 turning into a debate about sub Vrs dub :lol:
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Thread derailments are always a specialty, no matter the forum. 8)

Oh, and I'm not really watching Code Geass on ABC2. I've seen all of it, already. Why should I want to see it, again? It is entertaining enough the first time round, but as with most of these Sunrise shows, once it was over and all the revelations were out in the open, there really isn't any point watching it again. Unless I come back to it in, say, ten years from now, when it will have been forgotten, like all the other headline shows from ten years ago.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:14 pm

lol maybe it depends i hear rumours of new series based on the code geass universe so maybe it wont stop like another lame mecha suit series (gundam sigh :zzz: ) i mean code geass gets ya hooked with plot twists and etc. i know its not part of this side of anime but there is a manga i am reading code geass: nightmare of nunnally which is to say nunnally gets geass and lelouch pretty much dissapears its like a parrellel universe kinda story if u read it...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:25 pm

I think I might watch it for a fourth time once I finish the third watch of it. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile