AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

DiCaprio Producing Akira, Ninja Scroll, Not Acting in Them

by Mappy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:29 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... not-acting

Self-professed "big fan of anime" says final Akira script draft is being written

Movie star and producer Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic, The Assassination of Richard Nixon, The Aviator) told MTV's Splash Page that his Appian Way production company is waiting for the final script draft for the live-action film version of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga. He added, "I'm a big fan of Japanese anime — that and another project called Ninja Scroll we're trying to get developed and made into a movie, and I know there a lot of loyal fans out there of the project and die-hard fans, so we're going to try to do the best job we possibly can and we're not going to make the movie until the script is in the right shape." He also emphasized that he is producing in these two projects, and that he does "not really" have any interest in acting in them.

The Variety entertainment news source reported in February that Warner Brothers and Appian Way had re-licensed the rights to remake Akira from the manga publisher Kodansha. The two companies originally planned to make two films, each of which would cover three volumes of the renowned science-fiction manga about a governmental genetic project and a teenager's attempt to save a fellow biker gang member. Otomo himself directed a popular 1988 anime film based on his own manga. Variety also reported last month that Warner Brothers and Appian Way had licensed the rights to adapt Yoshiaki Kawajiri's Ninja Scroll action anime film from the Madhouse anime studio.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: DiCaprio Producing Akira, Ninja Scroll, Not Acting in Them

by Sufferes » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:59 am

Mappy wrote:... we're not going to make the movie until the script is in the right shape

:? I didn't think that this would have to be said by people making big-budget movies, I would have thought that they would do that anyway, but whatever... "that's Hollywood"
I'm the Moustache Maaaaaan!
Sufferes

by Madman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:06 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing them. The great thing about modern technology is that it can bring almost anything to life.
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Mappy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:33 am

I would be interested in a live-action Akira movie, but probably not a Ninja Scroll one. The trouble with Hollywood movies, whether or not they are produced by a smaller studio like di Caprio's, is that they have to pass through the Filter of American Shite before they see the light of day. That's why I always keep my expectations waaaaay low. Because cg special effects movies are a dime a dozen these days and it just doesn't impress me, anymore.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man