AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Yay I have finally got DSL + im free of telstra :D

by Morphis » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:35 pm

I now have ULL Annex M ADSL2+ ;D

How did I get this? I'm part of the trial of Internode's NakedDSL rollout.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,
Set him on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life. :p
Morphis
Hub Sempai

Re: Yay I have finally got DSL + im free of telstra :D

by asurin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:39 am

Nice. I was looking at doing that.

Do you know if you were on a rim?
Purveyor of live action Japanese TV shows.
asurin

by Dhumahn » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Now, how do i get a hold of this one. One must tell...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Morphis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:29 am

There are currently as of writing this 3 ISPs that are doing NakedDSL Amcomm, iiNet and ExeTel.

Internode are currently in the trial faze and other ISPs are still thinking about it.
Morphis
Hub Sempai

by Morphis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 am

But if your on a rim (or any pair gain device) your only chance is to get EVERYONE on that rim to lobby both your local MP and Telstra.

OzCableguy wrote:
Sourced from http://www.ozcableguy.com/adsl.asp#1.4
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.4 I've been told I'm on a "pair-gains" line and can't get ADSL. What do I do?

Unfortunately there's not much you can do.
A pair-gains system is a digital switch that allows a whole bunch of people to share a limited number of lines rather than having an individual line (pair) per person all the way back to the exchange. This allows, for example, 100 homes to share a 50 pair line.
These are installed for several reasons such as a stopgap as in the case of a street that is developed faster than expected (or not expected), and/or a cost saving measure at the time, particularly where there are physical difficulties with providing a larger cable.
Although they are an excellent means of providing adequate voice services to an area quickly, it is not physically possible to connect ADSL through a pair gains switch because the "pair" is constantly switching plus the digital switching method would probably conflict with the ADSL signal anyway.
Getting a 2nd line is no guarantee that you won't just get another pair-gain line so there's really no solution other than changing address.

A jointly funded venture by Telstra and the Commonwealth Government called the Internet Assistance Program has helped people get off pair gains systems, and Senator Kate Lundy has a Website for victims of pair-gains for those who want to add their voices.

1.5 I've been told I'm on a "RIM" and can't get ADSL. What do I do?

A RIM is a "Remote Integrated Multiplexor" and is basically a chunk of the main Telephone exchange broken off and moved closer to an area. These are linked back to the main exchange with optic fibre via a switching mechanism which, you guessed it, is digital and won't work with ADSL because the CMUX needs to be connected to copper lines (not fibre), and the cost and space limitations of providing these inside RIMs has been prohibitive.
However, Telstra are developing a mini-CMUX solution for RIMs, but at this stage there is no information to hand about when this project will be in full swing or when it will be completed. See Senator Kate Lundy's site mentioned above to voice a complaint, and the Internet Assistance Program may also be able to help.

Update: Up to 60% of RIMS will not be capable of having a "mini-mux" fitted. More at Whirlpool.
Morphis
Hub Sempai

by asurin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:44 pm

asurin wrote:Nice. I was looking at doing that.

Do you know if you were on a rim?

Technically I'm now on a Minimux...

When the Node trial is over I'll have another look. Right now my biggest problem is data allocation. 40 GB isn't enough.
Purveyor of live action Japanese TV shows.
asurin

by Kimosabe » Fri May 23, 2008 4:29 pm

My old phone line was via a pair gain box so old it allegedly didn't exist, but I also have DSL and am free of telstra, though I took the Virgin Broadband at home wireless telephone+net service. Yes, it's not the greatest internets that lived, but 750kbps down and 350kbps up and unlimited better-than-my-old-pair-gain-dialups fun that follows going over the download limit I'm on makes me.... much happier than I was. Also, due to utter lack of line rental and free STD, my total bill is actually lower.

So go figure, Virgin is paying me to have better internet ^_^
=== Jornada 620LX == === ASUS EEE 4G ===
Hitachi SH-3 @ 75MHz Dothan 630 - 900MHz
16MB RAM // 512MB 2GB Kingston 667 RAM
Windows CE v 2.0 8GB Kingston SDHC
HPCFactor Network SP Windows XP Custom
Kimosabe