AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Stoner wins an epic duel versus The Doctor in Spain

by Last Exile » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:15 am

I post this one because it was simply some of the most exhilirating racing I've seen in a long time.

With 8 laps to goin Catalunya, Spain, Stoner and Rossi throw down the gauntlet to each other and let it rip. For those last 8 laps, some of the most daring and intense passes, repasses, blocks, drifts and the lick happened in an emmense proportion. Try 14 lead changes from the 8th to last to the start of the 2nd to last. It has to be seen to be believed. On the beginning of the 2nd to last lap, Stoner reclaimed the lead and then parried again and again, predciting Rossi's every move and pulling off an exceptional victory by mere tenths of a second (say one or two tenths). That win puts Stoner's lead in the MotoGP back to 9 points and is a good return to form after Rossi's win in Majello.

Find that race on youtube, do what you have to. It was just THAT...DAMN...AWESOME! Onya Casey!
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:16 am

You think that was epic.... The Canadian F1 Grand Prix that followed it was pure awesome chaos. Everything from Lewis Hamilton winning in only his 6th race to Robert Kubica having the most stomach-turningly nasty accident in years. Oh, and Takuma Sato, in a Super Aguri, making reigning champion Fernando Alonso look really crepe in the closing stages....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:36 pm

Grats to Hamilton, he deserves it. It was 2am whrn the 1st class of the bikes finished, I wasn't staying up any later than that. F1 has not nearly enough overtaking, that's the main deterrant for me. And I ain't into crashes anymore. MotoGP and the air racing for me.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:53 pm

This race had more overtaking than all the other races this season. Some of the new rules they implemented, to do with the safety car laps, in which lapped cars are allowed to get their laps back, so they're on the end of the queue at the restart, rather than be mixed up with the faster cars, meant that everyone was pretty much on the same lap all the way through. That's why there were so many accidents: drivers were going wheel to wheel all the way through the race. Easily the best grand prix in the last three years.

And if they really want more overtaking in F1, the answer is simple: get rid of all the aerodynamic devices on the car. Simplify the bodywork to a small, flat wing on the front and a small, flat wing on the back. Then there is no turbulence behind the cars and they can follow each other nose to tail. Just like it was in the 60's and 70's.

Also having only two competitive engines available will probably even things up, too. After all, in the 70's you either drove for Ferrari or you had a Cosworth propelling you forward. Still a far more interesting time for F1 than now.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man