AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

The Cricket World Cup - Twists and murder....

by Last Exile » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:37 pm

So in the World cup so far:

1. Ireland pull off 2 shock results (draw vs Zimbabwe, win vs Pakistan) in their first World Cup and are all but assured a spot in the Super 8. Irish eyes are truly smiling and the Guinness is overflowing.

2. The epitome of cricket evil, Herschelle Gibbs, hits six sixes in one over. Why is this jerk even allowed to play cricket at all after that he was done? How ironic the biggest drecksack of the game gets such a rare accomplishment.

3. Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer dies in his hotel room hours after the loss to Ireland. Initial analyses are inconclusive to the cause of death, murder is now considered the prime cause. The continual suspsicion of Pakistan throwing matches (1999 World Cup Final, anyone?!) continues.

4. English vice-captain Andrew Flintoff gets drunk and sinks a boat with six teammates. 'Freddy' Flintoff loses vice-captaincy. Michael Vaughn assures public England has no 'drinking culture' problem. Sure....

5. India look old and out of place after a pathetic loss to Bangaldesh. Yours truly once again relishes the demise of India. (Yes, I hold no love for the country of my father's side of the family.)

6. Bermuda has one big boy bowling. Mappy considers a career change.

7. Brad Hogg's tongue fails to spend more than one second inside his mouth while on the pitch. Crazy John considers lawsuit.

8. Brad Hodge finally gets a century after being stranded on 99 not out and 97 not out in the last 12 months. Andrew Symonds gets nervous.

9. Hopefully when the Super 8 stage comes, most people will actually be able to WATCH A GAME!!!!! Gee, that'd be nice!

As for my final 4: Australia, New Zealand, England, West Indies. I am praying something apocalyptic happens to South Africa. Then again, they seem to uncleash it on themselves each time anyway. 1999 - they lose the unlosable vs Australia twice in 24 hours! 2003 - They fail to get pass the 1st round. Hopefully the Super 8 unravels them.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: The Cricket World Cup - Twists and murder....

by Mappy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:47 am

It's just not cricket, old chap. 8)

They're whining about dumping the minnows from future World Cups.... I want to see teams like Ireland, Kenya, The Netherlands, Scotland, Canada etc etc being given a greater chance to perform and get used to international competition. I mean, how often do we get to laugh at the fluro orange uniforms the Dutch wear? Not nearly enough, I tell you, not nearly enough. 8)

Oh, and in the spirit of Bermuda's wonderfully overweight bowler, I am thinking of starting the Hutt River Province cricket team in time for the next World Cup. Don't laugh, we've got Canada beat for sure. :wink:
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:17 am

Well, Woolmer's death has been announced as murder by manual strangulation....

What a blutig mess this is turning into.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:44 am

Another upset for the Super 8 qualifications. India bombed out and let Bangladesh through.

Somehow I hardly think Ricky Ponting's argument of notting letting so-called cricketing minnows in the World Cup is going to hold any credence since 2 minnows qualified for the Super 8.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:51 pm

Kenya and Zimbabwe were in the last World Cup Super 6, weren't they? Some of these minnows tend to rise to another level when it comes to this competition, frequently because it is the only international competition of any worth they get to play.

The Dutch beat the Scots. Is that their first World Cup victory?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:10 pm

That is the first win for the Netherlands.

Last World Cup, Kenya got through by acutally winning enough games. Zimbabwe got through because 2 teams boycotted playing them due to Mugabe and matches being held in that region or near there, which gave Zimbabwe 2 default wins which they certainly didn't deserve.

You are right, the minnows do tend to play better in the World Cup, which completely refutes Ponting's argument. The guy is a class player but sometimes he is one arrogant prick.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:04 pm

It is a pity the Dutch had to beat another minnow side to get that win. The way Australia was playing, leading up to the World Cup, deserved a caning at the hands of the orange boys. That would probably have killed Australia's chances in the Cup, but the team is pretty much made up of a stack of players who are taking their selection for granted. If they get through to the final, now, then they've achieved more than they deserved.

Zimbabwe has always been a problem. The side was actually starting to flex its muscles in international cricket, much as fellow minnow-of-the-past Sri Lanka has done. But you just can't help the wankers who run countries, these days. Ian Smith would be laughing in his grave.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:22 pm

There's no certainty on Australia's position in this tournament at all. They've got the batting depth to do it but their bowling section is a bit lacking. No true spinner and virtually all pace. England and New Zealand both have their tails up and the firepower to do it, the West Indies are playing confidently, Sri Lanka is looking consistent for once. The Super 8 promises to be good. Anyone in there realistically has a chance of making the semis.
Disgusting...
Last Exile