AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Hi everyone :D

by khajiit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Hey guys, I couldn't seen an introduction thread so I guess I'll just make my own, hope thats okay :)

Lately I've been lamenting the lack of contact I've had within the otaku community, and didn't even really think there was much of one in adelaide lol, but seeing this club picques my interest, I'm just wondering if I can ask a few questions, hope you won't consider them rude :oops:

So I see you all meet every tuesday evening... do you get many people attending usually? Also you don't need to be going to the uni in order to join i'd assume? Saying that, I actually haven't been to the uni before, so if I were to come in for a look around are you guys pretty easy to find?

That's all I got for now... i think :ph34r: Nice meeting everyone, and hope to see y'all in person sometime soon ^^
khajiit

Location: In the netherworld, casting Giga Star at prinnies 8D

Re: Hi everyone :D

by Bazza » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Yay fresh meat. :)

Anywhere from 8 to 40.

Our first meeting of the year is going to be next week I think, unless the powers that be decide otherwise.

You are not required to attend uni to attend AJAS.

There is a guide that I posted a long time ago with Google Maps information on how to get there... someone mind looking for it for me?

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by khajiit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:18 pm

I think I found the map, on frome road, just before you hit north terrace right? (Yay my bus goes that way xD) I'm just more worried about once I'm finally at the uni, where to go. Who knows if I head down the wrong path some college girls might get me :ph34r: wait, could be good either way ^_^

xD Well sounds like it could be a lot of fun then, i'll just make sure to leave work early next tuesday so I can reach the uni in time and check it out... I'll just have to jot down the room numbers just incase I get lost somehow >_<
khajiit

by Last Exile » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Heya, welcome. Standard hours are 6 to 9. We convene in the Brookman building around 5 to talk and such, then head to H2-02 around 5:40. Playlist gets posted each week, although OVA playlists don't get decided until just before the start most times.

Few essentials:

1. Mappy is God.
2. Bazza and Madman are traps but they're amusing. :lol:
3. Don't eat or drink in the viewing room.
4. Poor grammar on the forums causes space-time paradoxes. :lol:
5. Don't Mention The War! (i.e. NGE)
6. If you go outside at any point, keep a check on your voice level because it is quite audible in the viewing room.
7. Series get a vote to be kept on or voted off at the 5th episode. Ties are decided by the president.
8. We only play unlicensed series.
9. Doors to the Basil Hetzel building stop working after 7 and can only be opened from the inside.
10. OVA night is the first Tuesday of the month. The other Tuesdays are normal playlists.
11. We almost never play very long-running series. And if we do, we rarely finish them. Fullmetal Alchemist and GTO are the only two over the last five years that come to mind.
12. Don't be afraid. We're all anime fans. We don't bite. :)

Hope you enjoy it. We finished several series in our last meeting in 2008 so there should be around 3 new series on the list for the first regular meeting. So you won't feel too lost. :)
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 pm

First off thanks for the welcome, I'm really looking forward to next tuesday ^^ (Been watching lucky star so I'm in total otaku mode xD)

1&2. Duly noted :P

3.Is smoking okay then, so long as I'm dressed like onizuka :D

4.Don't worry I'm commandant of Stalag 14 in the Grammar Nazi Republic of Punktsburg.

5. O_O This one I need to be filled in on... I hope its not a rebuild/original series war. Or whether end of eva or the original series had the worst ending. Oooh or how in retrospect death and rebirth was a total waste of time. Or maybe it's about how Rebuild looks like it's actually going to do NGE justice. Or I could be totally clueless and it's none of the above >_>

6. Chances are it will only be an intermission smoke break, but I'll keep in mind to shush ._.

7 & 8. So do you mean unreleased in Australia or US? *Hopes second season of Gunslinger Girl will get a play :D* Actually that's good, it means chances are it'll all be stuff I never heard of before.

11. GTO! One of my favourite series ever.

12. Sweet! Can't wait :wow:
khajiit

by Bazza » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 pm

No smoking inside of course, and there aren't any breaks in the screening, but you are welcome to leave and return whenever you want so long as you're discreet about it.

Unlicensed is to to native-English speaking countries.

There is no second Season of Gunslinger Girl. There is, however, a second season of Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight that is a parody of Gunslinger Girl S1.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm

3. You'll have to go out of the building for that or security will lynch us.
5. Let's put it this way. You just mentioned 'The War'. DON'T Mention 'The War'. ;)
8. Was referring to Australian licensing. If Madman has licensed it before we get a chance to start playing it, we don't play it. And yes, as Bazza aptly put it, there is no second season of Gunslinger Girl. ;) Get it?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:43 am

Lol just joking about the smoking (lol you'll learn not to take me so seriously :D) And I see about 'the war' shall keep out I guess >_>

And uhm... yes there is a second series of gunslinger girl, it just hasn't been dubbed yet. However funimation hold the licence for it in the states, and as far as I heard there weren't really any good fansubs anyways. And proof -> http://funimation.com/gunslingergirl2/
khajiit

by Ryan White » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:50 am

The second Gunslinger Girl series is lacking somewhat in the budget department, going as far as trying to simulate motion by moving the camera around a still image.
Last Exile was a bit off with his advice, we meet in the Centenary building of City East, outside the C3-16 lecture theatre.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:40 am

Ryan White wrote:The second Gunslinger Girl series is lacking somewhat in the budget department, going as far as trying to simulate motion by moving the camera around a still image.

This is one of the reasons why everybody says there is no second season of Gunslinger Girl. Much as there is no Tsukihime anime.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by khajiit » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 am

I'll certainly agree I was pretty disappointed with the new studio they chose to make the second season. But to be fair, apparently the story is still intact, there is still action and it's still GSG... just lower budget unfortunately :( At the same time, berserk did the same thing, and that still turned out great, so it's a bit harsh to totally disown it, although I guess I'll make my decision when I see it for myself.

Right, meet in the centenary building, can do (now I just have to find it xD) :lol:
khajiit

by Last Exile » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:00 pm

We're back to the Cubbyhouse in C3-16 now? Darn...H2-02 was growing on me.

In that case, triple the warning on outside noise. :?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Madman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:28 pm

HI! Hey, you joined on my birthday! If you need advice on the best anime to watch, just ask me! :twisted:
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Ryan White » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:02 am

Last Exile wrote:We're back to the Cubbyhouse in C3-16 now? Darn...H2-02 was growing on me.

In that case, triple the warning on outside noise. :?

For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, stop confusing the situation. We convene in the Centenary building in the foyer area outside C3-16 at approximately 5:00pm for socializing before moving onto whichever lecture theatre UniSA has deemed free to give us on the night at approximately 5:40pm. ffs, actually read the preceding posts and notice what's different L-E.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by khajiit » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21 am

Madman wrote:HI! Hey, you joined on my birthday! If you need advice on the best anime to watch, just ask me! :twisted:

Haha, sure why not, though I can be pretty picky at times XD Mostly into seinen stuff actually, with a bit of the smarter shounen thrown in too.

And happy birthday!!! :wow:

Hmm I think I might leave work earlier on tuesdays so I can get there in plenty of time, because it's almost gauranteed I'll get lost, and I don't even know who or what I'm really looking for >_>
khajiit

by Bazza » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:29 am

Someone has photos of all of us taken last year don't they? Get some of them up here so he knows what to look for.

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:18 pm

Won't that scare him off? :P
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:32 pm

Last Exile wrote:Won't that scare him off?

I was waiting for it :P Eh, why not. If someone's got them it'll atleast kinda point me in the right direction (though I'm awful at remembering faces... actually names for that matter too)

Hey just outta interest, do any of you guys frequent Shin Tokyo in rundle mall? Just thinking I might have even seen some of you guys around there before :idea: My favourite saying in that place is "charge it to credit my good sir" :lol:
khajiit

by Last Exile » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Shin Tokyo is okay, but most of us prefer Pulp Fiction. I've been going there since its opening and Pete runs a fantastic shop.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Last Exile wrote:Shin Tokyo is okay, but most of us prefer Pulp Fiction. I've been going there since its opening and Pete runs a fantastic shop.

My neighbour goes there alot for his western comics and says it's a really good shop, but I haven't really looked in there yet. Is the selection better at Pulp Fiction, or is it more the fact you just personally like the place better?
khajiit

by Last Exile » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:04 pm

Shintokyo = WYSIWYG

Pulp Fiction goes beyond that. Pete is a legend. Dan is cool. Brooke is delightful. Shannon is the most gorgeous Asian female alive on the planet. And Pete has extremely good connections internationally with suppliers in the US and Asia. If you're having trouble getting hold of something, Pete is a good way to get hold of it and getting it legitimately. And he also gives the regulars considerable discounts.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Unless of course, you're me, who decides to get his stuff direct (i.e. TRSI). That way, everything arrives on your doorstep :D
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Last Exile » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:37 pm

You still make good use of him though. ;)

Another indicator of success is that Pete about 240 people going to his quiz night. That easily trumps AvCon's.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:37 pm

Right, sounds like Pulp Fiction is the place to be, so I'll have to check it out sometime ^^

I've just actually started buying stuff through ebay, got a couple of artbooks, some figures and some dojinshi as well. The only thing that hurts buying online is the postage fees and the wait /khaaaan but I'm happy with everything I've got so far. The dojin work from Rikudo Koshi (mangaka of excel saga) was particularly beautiful.. I don't know whether it's inspiring or depressing how good his work is :D (myself being a manga artist)
khajiit

by Atory » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Deciding between Pulp Fiction and shinTokyo is a tough one for me. I like both stores and most of the people as well. I usually spend more time in shinTokyo as I generally get talking with Shane (or sometimes Tovi depending on what I'm purchasing). Pete and Shannon are really the only ones I know in Pulp Fiction. I think calling Shannon "the most gorgeous Asian female alive on the planet" is a bit excessive.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by khajiit » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Yeah the guys at shin tokyo are cool, although I don't know their names D: I like shin tokyo because it has pretty much everything I want in one place, and at a pretty cheap price at that. Also they're pretty good at recommending anime as well (introduced me to both GTO and Captain Tylor :D)
khajiit

by Last Exile » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:54 pm

There's also the fact that Pulp Fiction and AJAS did a merger team in the last AvCon Quiz Night and cleaned up the overall score and almost all of the mini games. Combining anime fans, comic fans and gamers = win. Plus the fact that Mappy is God. :respect: Pete also supports local artists and writers, works with libraries. I also prefer the manga titles he gets hold of - bit more depth compared to Shintokyo. They tend to go more Shonen Jump and popular titles.

Each to their own, Scott. :wink:

Shintokyo has its pluses. I have gotten some good deals from them, particularly with plushies. Shane is a decent guy as well. I found myself going to Pulp Fiction more once Pete consistently offered me better prices and classic conversation.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:22 am

Lol, it sounds like a good place, I'll certainly have to check it out now :D Does pulp fiction get in any japanese imports? Not like my nihongo is that advanced just yet, but theres a fair few manga series I'd like to get my grubby hands on that haven't been translated yet (and I don't like scanlations, it's too uncomfortable to read on the computer)

On a different note, do we have any artists in our merry band at all? :lol:
khajiit

by Sufferes » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:53 pm

everyone wrote:Pulp Fiction

Man, I really need to get off my ass and find that place. Lack of knowledge of the city doesn't help, though I am learning with each visit...

khajiit wrote:
On a different note, do we have any artists in our merry band at all?

I'm doing art this year, if that's what you mean? I've given manga style a go, didn't do too badly for my first attempt but it's still pretty bad. One of those things that takes vast amounts of practise I guess.
I'm the Moustache Maaaaaan!
Sufferes

by Last Exile » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Pulp Fiction Comics is on King William Street, near Haigh's.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

And, for the people who like visual queues:

Has an orange sign. As for artists, who was it that was painting Henrietta from Gunslinger Girl? I've made dole bludging into an art form, too. :)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by IceLee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Did someone call for me? I do art, went to performing arts school and such... working on my character's painting from a certain game atm :D and I'm known by the guys here as the nutcracker/the chop... >_>
IceLee

by Sufferes » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:14 pm

Bazza wrote:As for artists, who was it that was painting Henrietta from Gunslinger Girl?

Ah that was Bloopletech, in this thread http://ajas.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=956&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gunslinger+girl#p17352

As always, thanks for the visual cues, Baz :respect:
I'm the Moustache Maaaaaan!
Sufferes

by khajiit » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Wow, he's quite talented. I've got a deviant art and do a fair amount digital drawings, but I'm still in the process of honing my technique, because I never knew I had any talent in art until after I left highschool, so I have a lot of catching up to do ._.

But if you guys would like to have a look, lemme know what you think of a couple! (btw the pic in my sig is from a larger piece of artwork I did as well)
Here's the linkage if anyone's interested :) http://khajiitmoonsugar.deviantart.com
khajiit

by Atory » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 pm

I used to enjoy sketching either real life or fantasy but since my later years of high school I just haven't had the patience for it. I've tried to take up the pencil again countless times but I just have too many other commitments these days to enjoy it. For now I'm focusing on design and working with other artists through AVCon. Once I free up some time I'd probably go back to drawing.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Oh, I forgot to say!

Another given for AJAS is that mad aka Aaron is Jesus. :wink:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:49 am

Last Exile wrote:Oh, I forgot to say!

Another given for AJAS is that mad aka Aaron is Jesus. :wink:

I'll treat all existing members as saint or higher for the time being to avoid any problems :lol:
khajiit

by Atory » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 am

Us... Saints... :lol:
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Madman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Aren't all saints dead? Anyway, i'm not sure if i qualify at being a saint...
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Bazza » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Madman wrote:i'm not sure if i qualify at being a saint...

And I'm blutig sure I don't. :?

We should be treated as the seedy-looking mob of gangsters at the other end of the bar.

DON'T
MAKE
EYE
CONTACT

...and you'll be fine.

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 pm

Atory is definitely the sex symbol of AJAS. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Good lord it's going to be an interesting evening tomorrow :lol: Oh and just so you guys can look out for me, I'll be the 6ft4 tall bugger wandering around in a shirt that looks like this: Image So you can call me over if you happen to see me wandering aimlessly in circles tomorrow :ph34r:
khajiit

by Last Exile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:32 pm

Well, I have a certain T-shirt that makes it pretty easy to figure out who I am. :wink: Although twice someone didn't figure it out. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:33 pm

Last Exile wrote:Well, I have a certain T-shirt that makes it pretty easy to figure out who I am. :wink: Although twice someone didn't figure it out. :lol:

I still get you confused with Xenesis. :hmmm:

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Bazza wrote:
Last Exile wrote:Well, I have a certain T-shirt that makes it pretty easy to figure out who I am. :wink: Although twice someone didn't figure it out. :lol:

I still get you confused with Xenesis. :hmmm:

As if. :? I'm the only brown skinned person that attends AJAS, aren't I?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:53 pm

That is true but I forget which one of you has the brown skin.

It's nothing personal. I just don't normally bother to remember other people. The limited storage my brain has is used to store more important things like when I have to lodge my dole form. :)

...and my imouto is brown skinned, if you count.... 3 visits. :wink:

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by khajiit » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:07 pm

You actually managed to get money from centerlink? :shock: I had been outta work for 4 months at one point and they still refused me money because I was only out of school for 17 months instead of 18...
khajiit

by Last Exile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:22 pm

Oh, you can. But then you learn that you get far more if you work.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm

Yeah I would much rather be working right now. I did me some maths and it came out that I earn around $0.71c p/h on the dole. I don't know how all these dole bludgers can manage on such a small amount of money. If I wasn't blacklisted from the only legitimate trolley collecting company in the country I'd be doing that as even a trolley hündin gets $12.00 an hour. :roll:

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by khajiit » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:50 am

Oh believe me, I didn't want to go to centerlink, but I couldn't find myself a decent job ._. I felt so dirty walking into centerlink, I was quite happy when I picked up my next awful telemarketing job last year.
khajiit

by Bazza » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:57 pm

khajiit wrote:I felt so dirty walking into centerlink,

Which is strange because chances are you were, excluding the staff, in possession of the least offensive odour in the entire complex. :)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by khajiit » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Bazza wrote:
khajiit wrote:I felt so dirty walking into centerlink,

Which is strange because chances are you were, excluding the staff, in possession of the least offensive odour in the entire complex. :)

Bahahaha :lol: And boy did I give it to the guy when, after making me wait there for over an hour, denied me because I had been out of school for only 17 months. Choice phrases including something like this "Why give it to a 14 year old with 6 kids when I actually want to make a damn contribution to society."

What really annoys me though is I'm still being pestered by SYC jobsearch when they hadn't even given me any money... well besides a bus ticket so I could actually afford to get there >_>

The lesson kids, never leave your job before getting a new one :respect:
khajiit

by Bazza » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:20 am

khajiit wrote:"Why give it to a 14 year old with 6 kids when I actually want to make a damn contribution to society."

And what was his response?

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by khajiit » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:26 am

He seemed to react like what I was saying wan't true >_> Then he proceeded to say that people like that deserve the money more simply because they had a bad upbringing/whatever... I'm like 'I thought centerlink was here to help australians.. I'm one too, last time I checked' That didn't go down to well either /khaaaan
khajiit

by edible_hat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:54 pm

The three magic words that get Centrelink to do the right thing are "Administrative appeals tribunal". There's so much paperwork involved in fighting an appeal (especially when the client is in the right) that it's far easier to suddenly discover the missing form or send the deaf person to a hearing specialist and not a physiotherapist.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by khajiit » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 am

Ah, I shall keep that in mind next time I'm unemployed (hopefully I'll never even need to take a sideways glance at centerlink ever again...)
khajiit