AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Watson, Marsh and Hussey into the Aussie lineup

by Last Exile » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:54 am

The Indian Premier League has sparked an immediate revamp of the Australian one-day side with three players fresh from their rampages in the sub-continent ready to don the green and gold - Shane Watson, Shane Marsh and David Hussey.

Shane Watson was named Player of the Series in the IPL. He was fourth for both runs scored and wickets taken, hitting 472 runs at an average of 47.2 and taking 17 wickets at 22.5, a major force in the Rajasthan Royals winning the the league.

Shane Marsh, despite coming in halfway through the league, obliterated all in his way to run the coveted Orange Cap award with 616 runs as an opener for Punjab Kings XI.

David Hussey, brother of Mike Hussey, was consistent despite being surrounded by inept teammates in the Kolkata Knight Riders, steering them to victory in most of the games they did win.

With Watson coming out injury-free of a very physically demanding series and looking in the best form and shape of his career, possibly becoming the world's current best all-rounder, with Hussey as another all-rounder and Marsh ready to pick up where Gilchrist left off, the new guard certainly seems to provide some depth and firepower that was lacking during the summer.

Australian squad: Ricky Ponting (c), Michael Clarke (vc), Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Andrew Symonds, Cameron White, Shane Watson

One final thing - don't be surprised if Simon Katich makes his way into the final list at the last minute. He was a late selection for the Test series and has already proven he deserves to be there. With Marsh set to be an opener when he does play, Katich would make a good opening combo with him. Katich is one of the best in the world at chasing a target and keeping his wicket. I'm not convinced there's two opening batsman in that current lineup.

I'm also surprised that Phil Jacques isn't in the one-day lineup. But from memory, while he was supreme in the summer Tests, I don't think the one-dayers went well for him.

On the current Test series, with Sawran hitting 128 and Chanderpaul backing up 107no from the 1st innings with a 77no in the 2nd innings, the West Indies managed a draw in the 2nd Test but that was enough for Australia to secure the series and the Frank Worrall trophy.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: Watson, Marsh and Hussey into the Aussie lineup

by Mappy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Meanwhile, back in the world of Mappy, there is much RAAAAAAAAGE at the cricket on the radio as it shanghais nighttime ABC Local Radio programming. We have a station called Radio National, people. Nobody listens to it, so put the cricket there.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:02 pm

Settle down, lol. But yeah, their choice of programs is sometimes weird.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:11 pm

As weird as posting about cricket on a forum related to anime?
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:03 am

After some of the things said and 'things' that exist on these forums, cricket is relatively normal.
Disgusting...
Last Exile