Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

[NEWS] Fantasy almost equalled real jail time

by blakus88 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:28 pm

blakus88

Re: [NEWS] Fantasy almost equalled real jail time

by Ryan White » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:40 am

There was a news article posted on the ABC website in late November last year that mentions this case with the man claiming that Magiclean was the best product and the only one he wasn't allergic to, guess the cops chose not to believe him.
Cases like this just annoy me. Andrew Michael Page (any relation Mappy?) should not have been charged if there wasn't enough evidence to secure a conviction. We aren't even told in the media stories what other evidence was found in the home or even if Warhammer figurines were owned by A.M.P. or how much of the chemical was purchased. If they were able to get a warrant to search his house, why not setup a situation to catch him with the drugs, preferably while transferring them to dealers.

It's become quite clear that the people who decide upon drug policing policies are not doing their jobs in the best manner. If their preferred method of stopping drug dealers is by following the chemicals they are more liable to do harm than good. The manufacturers or Magiclean lose out because they are unable to openly import their product into the country and anybody who has a legitimate use is accused of peddling drugs. This kind of policing must be addressed before harsher restrictions are introduced such as the banning of the equipment used to manufacture the drugs.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:05 am

Fined that much?! People who kill someone in a car accident get given lesser sentences than this guy was given. C'mon, where is the common sense here? I don't recall anyone arresting people over those kid toy beads that ended up being used to manufacture drugs. This guy was using the stuff for reasonable, innocent reasons, not malicious. If he was shown to be innocent of bad intentions, why the hell was he still given a suspended sentence and a fine that big?

This is what disgusts me about the justice system. The proportionality of the sentence to what the person didn't even do is just too harsh. People growing drugs get sentenced for much less than this guy was. This is a very chilling precident set here. Even if intentions were lawful and decent, you can still be labelled as guilty of a crime you didn't even do. I have grave fears for where the legal system is heading.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:48 am

Those toys weren't used to make drugs, you only had to swallow the beads and they would digest into a date rape drug (which I can't remember at the moment). There really should have been some arrests made over that one.
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by (mad) » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:50 pm

well, looks like it's a good thing i gave up on warhammer ages ago.
then again, it'd be great if you could play it without having to spend hundreds of dollars on figurines
(mad)
180 Proof

by Ryan White » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:21 pm

You can play Warhammer without the figurines, all you need is the rulebooks.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:47 am

There is also Warhammer Online apparently. Yep, they somehow made Warhammer an MMORPG.

I think the date rape drug in that case was GHP.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by (mad) » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:54 am

Ryan White wrote:You can play Warhammer without the figurines, all you need is the rulebooks.

yeah, but it doesn't work particularly well. you need things to represent the figurines
(mad)
180 Proof

by Dhumahn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:29 pm

All you need to do is take all of the members of AJAS, split them into two teams and take it from there...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by (mad) » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 pm

but that'd only work if we're playing mordheim. there aren't enough alas members for warhammer 40000, let alone warhammer fantasy, which was the one i was into
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Both Jim and myself have been playing Warhammer for years without using figures. We started off using them, but the game shifted around locations so much that we simply gave it up.

The trouble with this news story is that, as we were discussing it after the UniSAGA meeting last night, it doesn't give us enough information to base a real opinion on. Obviously there was more to the story than a distant relative of mine importing this cleaning product for his Warhammer figures. Such as his importing whole crates of the stuff, more than he could ever hope to use in his lifetime, as well as a house full of drug paraphernalia sitting about. But as the story doesn't tell us that in any implicit manner, we're left to speculate on why the judge took the attitude he did, making it look like the legal system was thugging on an entirely innocent guy....

Is this the first time the Madhouse board has been busier than the General one?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:55 am

I'd say that's a yes. There's always something worthy of the Madhouse.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by (mad) » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:05 am

Mappy wrote:Both Jim and myself have been playing Warhammer for years without using figures. We started off using them, but the game shifted around locations so much that we simply gave it up.

which versions and races? i'm a bit of a fan of fantasy orcs & goblins and i rather enjoyed mordheim (orcs @ goblins, dwarves)
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:33 am

Original Warhammer (not 40k), using practically every race possible. My old character was a permanently drunk, part berserker dwarf. I'm now a whiny, book-taught Barbarian. We play free and easy with the rules of the game. Or, more correctly, "there are rules?" We've been through so many realms and time jumps that I've lost track of the last time we actually stuck to the rigid scenarios and versions of Warhammer. :wink:
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by (mad) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:32 pm

so you're playing warhammer fantasy roleplay? nice.
i've been playing it for the past half year, but we almost never have time for sessions. as most people would guess, i'm a dwarven troll-slayer :D
(mad)
180 Proof

by Rasberry » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:06 am

Never got my self into the fantasy version.....

Played 40k and loved 3rd addition with Salamander Space marines.....

now 4th ed is out and i have not had time, and i am not a fan of the new rules, i mean even the salamanders lost their special rules and became a normal 'Plain' space marine army
Rasberry
N00bhunter