AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Girl kills her father, School Days and Higurashi cancelled!

by asurin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:01 pm

TV Kanagawa cuts final episode of anime after teenage girl kills father with ax

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/ ... 1000c.html
Purveyor of live action Japanese TV shows.
asurin

by Pirate Man » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Now, I can't wait for the ending, If they removed it from air cause of this. The final episode must be one of the bad endings :).

Damn yanderes.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:38 pm

You know, I want to take this topic seriously, but....

a) Coincidence? I think not.
b) That's for not letting me listen to Linkin Park!
c) FATALITY!

sorry.... ¬_¬;;
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:23 am

Huh, looks like they chose one of the mild endings to comment upon. The School Days game has gifs of some of the more shocking endings floating around the internet.
Looks like I'll have to go to Japan and show the television executives what happens to people that end a series right before the last episode.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:28 am

afaik, TV-Osaka and ATX are yet to make a decision about airing the episode. This news might be old, however....

On the upside, there are plenty of fake raws about with the pretty scenery set to music that replaced the episode in its timeslot.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:46 am

The post I made above, with the picture of Rena, just became completely pertinent. Episode 12 of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai has followed Episode 12 of School Days in being cancelled on Toukai TV.

http://animehistory.wordpress.com/2007/ ... i-with-it/
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by asurin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:41 pm

So when do they start canceling police dramas?
Purveyor of live action Japanese TV shows.
asurin

by Xenesis » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:54 pm

Argh. Now I need to wait longer for the next episode.

Bastards.
Xenesis

by Mappy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:06 pm

KBS Kyoto, which was the next station to air Higurashi after Toukai TV, have announced their intention to not air episode 12 of Higurashi this week. Had they gone ahead, it would have aired 2am Adelaide time.

The Nice Boat curse continues.

Next in line:

SUN @ 2:30AM JST on 9/25
http://www.sun-tv.co.jp/program/mon.html

CTC @ 2:00AM JST on 9/25
http://www.chiba-tv.com/010banpyo/2007-0914-1014-7.html

TVS @ 1:30AM JST on 9/25
http://www.teletama.jp/web/data/day/24.html

But they'll probably pull it off the air, too.

And then, of course, there is the cable anime station, ATX. They're still planning to air School Days 12, so in all likelihood they'll end up being the first to air Higurashi 12.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:29 am

This reeks of the GTA controversy. Playing GTA makes you want to kill people, so, naturally, watching School Days & Higurashi makes you want to kill people. With axes.

I've never understood why 'they' do this. All my lurking has told me that that the murder may have been motived "by her interest in manga and anime". Bullsheet. At the very most she would have stolen the method from it, but the motivation was clearly something else. Family trouble? Depression? Those are actual motivators. Should look at those before canning my favorite anime.

Also, what was a 16 year old doing watching School Days anyway?

I'm going to go and kill someone using a microphone and murderously horrid singing. Does that mean I can get Idol pulled off the air? :)

Now, I may come across as completely insensitive. And that's because I am. I want to see my Higurashi goddamn it. :evil:

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:29 am

Bazza wrote:I've never understood why 'they' do this. All my lurking has told me that that the murder may have been motived "by her interest in manga and anime". Bullsheet. At the very most she would have stolen the method from it, but the motivation was clearly something else. Family trouble? Depression? Those are actual motivators. Should look at those before canning my favorite anime.

There are usually only two reasons why a 16 year old girl would preplan the brutal axe murder of her father in his bed whilst he was sleeping, especially when her mother and sister openly state that the father was a "kind and caring" man.

The first is that she is a teen, and inherently mixed up, moody and irrational, and therefore incapable of thinking about the consequences of her actions after having a violently preplanned hissy fit over her old man telling her what's what.

I think we all know what the other reason is, and the most likely to have been the actual trigger for this event.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:48 pm

This is one bad week in the land of anime, isn't it???
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Mappy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:55 pm

So far, Sun TV have pushed Higurashi back by half an hour on their schedule, and there are rumours that Tokai may cancel the show altogether. As they are the primary network airing the show, this is not a good thing.

Combine this with the collapse of the deal between ADV and Geneon, with the future of the latter looking shaky (there is no certainty that their scheduled releases shall arrive in any form), and considering they hold the US release rights to Higurashi/When They Cry, Oyashiro-sama has been a very angry god of late.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Mappy wrote:Oyashiro-sama has been a very angry god of late.

But why would she kill her own show? I suspect there may be other forces at work. Possibly Suzumiya-sama.

edit: Then again it is possible she was so disgusted at the English dub she decided it best to end those responsible before they got a chance to have a go at her directly.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by edible_hat » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:31 pm

Bazza wrote:I've never understood why 'they' do this.

It's far easier to find a scapegoat than to fix the real problem.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Last Exile » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:13 am

Solution:

1. Kill all people under the age of 16.
2. Generate genetic technology so that people are 18 when they are born.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:20 am

Puts a whole new twist on minderjährigen mädchen... "She said she was 18".

What happens to people aged 16 or 17?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Ryan White » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:02 am

Atory wrote:What happens to people aged 16 or 17?

After 2 years that will cease to be a problem.
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:59 am

SUN, CTC and TVS are still listing Higurashi 12 for an early Tuesday morning screening. There has been no change since Friday night, essentially. Tokai are still listing Higurashi as airing at the usual time next Friday, though it will be episode 12 rather than 13 that sees an airing if it goes ahead.

School Days 12 is still scheduled for the 29th Sep on AT-X. As I've said before, being a privately-owned cable network, they're unlikely to cancel at the last minute as the free to air stations have done.

Both of these shows air at about 2-3am. Why there should have been a problem in screening them is hard to fathom, considering anyone likely to have been influenced/offended/both by their subject matter would have been fast asleep if they knew what was good for them. Quite apart from the executives' fear of being sacked if PTA Pressure Groups made complaints to the networks/advertisers/local government broadcasting authorities. And in Japan, being seen to "do the right thing", regardless of whether it is, in fact, the right (or even vaguely rational) thing, is all important in business.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:39 pm

I dare speak too soon.

A 15 year old boy from Nagano has been arrested for attempting to murder his father with an axe.
http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/419165

What do you reckon. We count down the hours until Higurashi gets canceled for good?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:59 pm

Hey kids! You've tried whinging! You've tried growing your own hair blindfold! Now try murdering people with an axe! It's what all the cool mürrisch kids are doing this season! Axe murdering - because you're a non-conformist, just like everybody else.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Ryan White » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:52 am

Previous generations have used up all the best methods of rebelling against one's parents, the only methods left are murder and stupid haircuts.
They even have to resort to crude melee weaponry for their kills because John Howard took away all the cool guns.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:37 am

Ryan White wrote:Previous generations have used up all the best methods of rebelling against one's parents, the only methods left are murder and stupid haircuts.

That would mean describing mohawks and mullets as "not stupid haircuts". 8)

Anyway, SUN TV aired Higurashi 12, with only one scene missing from the opening credits.

[lightbox]http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/8167/1190661649742kz1.jpg[/lightbox]

Raws and subs should be out soon.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:40 pm

I wouldn't call mullets a form or rebellion, just bad taste.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Pirate Man » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:48 pm

Mappy are you sure they are airing these episodes late at night?
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:48 pm

Well, it was the 80's. 8)

Anyone caught with one now should just be put down, to preserve what's left of the gene pool.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Xenesis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:22 am

Both of these shows air at about 2-3am. Why there should have been a problem in screening them is hard to fathom, considering anyone likely to have been influenced/offended/both by their subject matter would have been fast asleep if they knew what was good for them.

Silly Mappy. In Japan 4am is an acceptable bedtime for a student.
Xenesis

by Last Exile » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:15 am

This is all making me laugh. Considering the number of murders that have been inspired by or blamed as caused by Der Krieg, no one's ever brought that or Anno into disrepute. You can say that Higurashi or School Days planted the ioea but ultimately, the person that committed the crime in real life had a choice and they chose to do so. Blame lies with them. You can blame anything in the world for inspiring a callous act. If we took this stance all the time, everything would be banned.

Bad things happen because there exists in everyone the potential to do evil. It's a fact of life and a consequence of being human. We have to live with it. If one needs solace, remember that evil can't exist without the contrast of good.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:16 am

Pirate Man wrote:Mappy are you sure they are airing these episodes late at night?

What kind of question is that? I posted the scheduled airtimes earlier in the thread for SunTV, ChibaTV and TVS.

Most anime not meant for a general audience airs after 11pm.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:03 am

Last Exile wrote:This is all making me laugh. Considering the number of murders that have been inspired by or blamed as caused by Der Krieg, no one's ever brought that or Anno into disrepute. You can say that Higurashi or School Days planted the ioea but ultimately, the person that committed the crime in real life had a choice and they chose to do so. Blame lies with them. You can blame anything in the world for inspiring a callous act. If we took this stance all the time, everything would be banned.

Bad things happen because there exists in everyone the potential to do evil. It's a fact of life and a consequence of being human. We have to live with it. If one needs solace, remember that evil can't exist without the contrast of good.

Your getting too emotional, quit it otherwise it will turn into another thread like before. Been here, done that. You know you can't do anything about it and I doubt the TV Stations of Japan would listen to this forum nor any other forum. It's like showing a Suicide Bomber show when a Suicide Bombing just took place a day ago. Its the same deal with the AX murders, it just isn't appropriate to show it.

Though still pissed about missing Voyager when 9/11 plane crashed into the twin towers :(.

Mappy wrote:
Pirate Man wrote:Mappy are you sure they are airing these episodes late at night?

What kind of question is that? I posted the scheduled airtimes earlier in the thread for SunTV, ChibaTV and TVS.

Most anime not meant for a general audience airs after 11pm.

/wrists forgot anyone could buy the DVD when it comes out but didnt Xenesis says that bedtime for most Japanese students is past 4am?
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:22 am

Pirate Man wrote:didnt Xenesis says that bedtime for most Japanese students is past 4am?

I regarded that as sarcasm. Never learn lessons about Japan through the filter of anime. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Xenesis » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:17 am

I'm only exaggerating a little bit.

When I went on my Student Exchange back in 2003, most of the students I met would regularly go to bed at 2-3am. How most of them hadn't died already I will never understand. Maybe it's all the tea you drink like water over there. :?
Xenesis

by Last Exile » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:43 pm

Xenesis wrote:I'm only exaggerating a little bit.

When I went on my Student Exchange back in 2003, most of the students I met would regularly go to bed at 2-3am. How most of them hadn't died already I will never understand. Maybe it's all the tea you drink like water over there. :?

Perhaps the low amount of fat and calories in their general food content helps.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Xenesis » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:45 pm

Low calories? <_<

You're eating twenty kilos of rice every week. <_<
Xenesis

by Mappy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:32 am

Well, there's your explanation. I'd be running almost 24/7 if I was powered by 20 kilos of RAW CARBOHYDRATES a week. You either do that, or you get fat, which is 50% of my problem.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Perhaps the last event in this little saga is the (eventual) screening of School Days 12.... the final episode.... on the anime cable channel AT-X. And having seen screencaps of this episode, I have to say, I can see why the episode was canned after the murder of the cop by his daughter.

Even with the blood recoloured from red to black (which will be immediately unrecoloured with the dvd release), this was probably one of the more BAD END bad ends that School Days is notorious for. They certainly gave those who were expecting this precisely what they wanted.

Indeed, the last scene takes place on a NICE BOAT. Though it is possible that, with the episode being delayed by a couple of weeks, they reanimated the closing scenes to give the viewers even more service than necessary. :roll:
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:02 am

It looks like they have combined bad endings from the game into one mega bad end..
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:23 pm

These series make extremely potent use of Schadenfreude. And we get such guilty pleasure from it. :P
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:08 am

Oh, believe me, when Sekai kills Makoto, the schadenfreude is utterly irresistable. Quite possibly the most contemptible main character any series has ever had getting precisely what they deserve. And the worst part of it all is, in the games, his father was even worse.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:34 pm

Er, wasn't the
K-girl who took his head
the one who killed him? I thought
Sekai and Makoto both died in some twisted way of being together for eternity and K-girl kept his head by her side at all times. Certainly Sekai had the most justification to do the deed but K-girl was the one that did it from people I spoke to who watched it all.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Dammit, look up when posting and notice the "hide spoiler" button.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Ryan White wrote:Dammit, look up when posting and notice the "hide spoiler" button.

Oh, nice.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:40 pm

One big spoiler for the end of School Days.

After screwing everything in a skirt during the show, Makoto finally decides to stay with Kotonoha, even after Sekai tells him she's pregnant. So Sekai pincushions him whilst Kotonoha is out shopping. After Sekai hightails it out of there, Kotonoha comes back and finds Makoto's dead body, which, considering her mind was pretty broken earlier, couldn't have made her any saner. She then contacts Sekai using Makoto's phone to meet her at the school. When Sekai arrives she finds Kotonoha with Makoto's head (which, now being completely lala, she hacked off the corpse herself). She then uses a saw on Sekai's throat after a half-assed struggle. Cue much gushing of blood. After this, she carves Sekai's abdomen open to check if she was really pregnant, stands up and says something along the lines of "I thought as much". This doesn't mean Sekai wasn't pregnant (she acted as if she were), this just means Kotonoha is to friggin' lala to remember that foetuses tend not to be visible to the naked eye this early during pregnancy. Next thing you know, Kotonoha is sailing alone into the sunset, hugging Makoto's head. Together forever. NICE BOAT END.

Did that make some kind of sense? 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:28 am

So, now that Mappy has given us the ending do we still want School Days played at AJAS?
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Atory » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:39 am

I'm not very interested in the show... so it's not going to make me come running back. I'd much prefer the 2nd series of Higurashi.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Bazza » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:01 am

We need to play School Days and Higurashi 2nd. Scare off what little female members we have. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:58 am

Ryan White wrote:So, now that Mappy has given us the ending do we still want School Days played at AJAS?

HELL YES! It gives a plethera of reasons to watch it now!!! BRING IT ON!

@Bazza: I think the female members remaining weren't scared off by what's been on for the last few weeks so I doubt they will by those series, considering the usual standard/style of what's on the playlist lately.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:44 pm

Last Exile wrote:
Ryan White wrote:So, now that Mappy has given us the ending do we still want School Days played at AJAS?

HELL YES! It gives a plethera of reasons to watch it now!!! BRING IT ON!

@Bazza: I think the female members remaining weren't scared off by what's been on for the last few weeks so I doubt they will by those series, considering the usual standard/style of what's on the playlist lately.

School Days, funny but really I think the playlist has enough hentai to anime shows on atm.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:48 pm

School Days is at the same level as Kimi ga Nozomu Eien in its first half, so it doesn't exactly set the world alight for a large part of its run. then Makoto becomes a sex-obsessed monster and it goes off on a tangent no other hentai dating sim to tv anime goes. Don't expect great things from it.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man