AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

U.S. woman injured in accident in Japan files suit with U.S.

by Mappy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:25 am

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/391268

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 05:00 EST

HAKODATE — An American woman injured in a car accident in northern Japan has filed a lawsuit with a U.S. court seeking about $95 million in damages largely from a Japanese insurance firm which she alleges provided false information about the driver who caused her injury, the woman's husband said Wednesday.

The compensation, which is being sought from Fuji Fire and Marine Insurance Co, amounts to about 11.1 billion yen and includes punitive damages, he said. In Japan, there is no system for such punitive damages.

According to the husband, the woman injured her neck and back after being rear-ended by a car in Sapporo, Hokkaido, in January 2004.

The driver of the car allegedly told the woman that he would resolve the issue through his insurance with Fuji Fire and Marine, but the firm at first denied that the man had taken out insurance with it.

Ten days later, the insurance firm admitted the man had bought its insurance, but refused to respond to questions about why it had made a false statement, the woman's husband said.

The Osaka-based firm said, "We would like to refrain from making comments at this moment."

The 39-year-old woman has also demanded compensation from the car driver and the insurance firm's supervisory authorities, such as the Financial Services Agency.

The woman and her husband have also filed a separate lawsuit against the car driver with the Hakodate District Court, seeking about 90 million yen in compensation.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:33 pm

Their lawyer is going to have one hell of a time justifying the amounts of these lawsuits not to mention why it's been filed in a US court when the incident happened in Japan.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:45 am

Japan's just another state of the US. All good Americans know that. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by stormy001 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:10 pm

95 million USD? Holy scheiße
http://anime-comments.blogspot.com/

My personal anime blog.
stormy001