AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

8 runaway students found safe

by Mappy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:01 am

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/390409

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 08:09 EST

TOYAMA — All of the eight elementary and junior high school students who had gone missing Tuesday afternoon in Toyama Prefecture were found safe early Wednesday, police said. The group — a 15 year-old junior high school student plus seven elementary schoolers aged 7 to 12 — went missing after they left their child welfare facility for school together around 7:50 a.m. Tuesday.

Police said the eight were good friends and believe the children may have planned to run away from home together.

----o

Comments on this subject:

"Child welfare facility"?
Maria (Nov 15 2006 - 08:58 )

Is that like an orphanage?

Why did they run away?
tell_u_what (Nov 15 2006 - 09:41)

They might be trying to tell the public something about the home. Especially now that bullying is the in thing

Good question
Molenir (Nov 15 2006 - 12:04)

Yeah, I really hope they look into that place. If a bunch of kids are running away, it could be a sign that there are serious issues in that facility. On the other hand of course it might not be. But I definitely think it merits investigation.

8 runwaway Toyama students found safe
toolonggone (Nov 15 2006 - 12:20)

Molenir - Good point!

tell_u_what: "They might be trying to tell the public something about the home. Especially now that bullying is the in thing."

How long have you been in Japan? I've been here longer than any of those kids have been alive and I can tell you that bullying is certainly not the "in thing". It's always existed here and isn't really any worse or better than 10, 15 or 20 years ago. If anything perhaps it's being looked at more seriously now.

let me sign their
takuan (Nov 15 2006 - 13:37)

movie deal, and I'll even give them 10%
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man