AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

MMO sales temporarily barred in Australia?

by Last Exile » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:29 am

Australia, February 3, 2009 - In a shocking move this morning, the Sydney Morning Herald has reported that Australian retailers will no longer be allowed to sell any online game that has not been classified by the Australian Classification Board.

This move directly affects games such as World of krieg handwerk, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan and Pirates of the Burning Seas – titles that don't contain a single-player experience, and therefore did not apply for classification. The previous understanding was that online games, by their nature, fell outside of traditional national classifications – a loophole that the Classifications Board want stitched up.

Now this is just plain silly...

Create a proper freaking classification system covering all ages already...although that's unlikely since NSW was behind this and has now joined forced with Vic and SA.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: MMO sales temporarily barred in Australia?

by Bazza » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:02 am

The sales of marijuana are restricted, so why not MMO's? Both produce similar symptoms.

Not surprisingly, World of krieg handwerk intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that World of krieg handwerk's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who plays World of krieg handwerk every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.

I almost lost a brother to World of krieg handwerk. Luckily his 1-month trial ran out and he was too Teladi* to renew it.

*Teladi = euphemism for tightarse.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:34 pm

It's an individual's responsibility to do something in moderation. Be it with food, alcohol, recreational things or whatever. It is very doable to balance work, other responsibilities and recreation. If anything, the top end players have achieved such a balance and limit themselves.

Furthermore the amount of censorship happening around the world lately is getting concerning. The Handley case in the US, the new literature laws in the UK, now this here. If you let a few people in suits not be accountable for having the sole right to decide what is right for all, then eventually when they do take away something people will give a very big damn about, you'll no longer have the power to.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Last Exile wrote:It's an individual's responsibility to do something in moderation. Be it with food, alcohol, recreational things or whatever. It is very doable to balance work, other responsibilities and recreation. If anything, the top end players have achieved such a balance and limit themselves.

Furthermore the amount of censorship happening around the world lately is getting concerning. The Handley case in the US, the new literature laws in the UK, now this here. If you let a few people in suits not be accountable for having the sole right to decide what is right for all, then eventually when they do take away something people will give a very big damn about, you'll no longer have the power to.

*Fully agrees*

@ Topic: /khaaaan (even though I don't play MMO's this is disgusting)

All I'm asking for is just 65 more years before the world becomes an orwellian dystopia... 65 more years... (then I'll be dead and won't care either way :P )
khajiit

Location: In the netherworld, casting Giga Star at prinnies 8D

by edible_hat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:46 pm

I plan to buy WotLK online anyway. Don't really need the DVD, just the account upgrade code.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by IceLee » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:17 pm

I have WOTLK already :D *pets her computer*
IceLee

by Last Exile » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:45 pm

November 14, 2008 was a very crazy day. ^^ But it was fun.

And it looks like the AGs won't have their way, after all.

Quote from: Nethaera

Blizzard Entertainment and its affiliates work very closely with the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia to ensure that we are in full compliance with Australian law as it relates to the distribution and operation of our games, including World of krieg handwerk. We’d like to reassure all of our players that World of krieg handwerk is currently, and has always been, distributed and operated legally in Australia.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by edible_hat » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Comment from a retailer, when asked about the original supposed banning:

guy from game store wrote:Whoever told you that is full of crap.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

edible_hat

by Ryan White » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:13 pm

edible_hat wrote:Comment from a retailer, when asked about the original supposed banning:

guy from game store wrote:Whoever told you that is full of crap.

I suspect that your store assistance needs to remove his head from his rectal passage. My local video store was still renting out a copy of Manhunt months after the game had been refused classification and only believed me once I took in a printout of the OFLC declaration.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by edible_hat » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:58 am

Ryan White wrote:My local video store was still renting out a copy of Manhunt

Why would anyone want to rent Manhunt?

edible_hat

by Atory » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:59 am

You'd be surprised what people will do just because it's b&.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Dhumahn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:10 am

To various people here.... :whistling:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless