AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin classified MA 15+ on review

by blakus88 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:21 am

Link to review. No edits required. Some people are gonna be happy, considering how trigger happy the Classification Board has been this year with games.
blakus88

Re: F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin classified MA 15+ on review

by Ryan White » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:29 am

I'm happy that the game will become available, but still disappointed that the OFLC seems to have very little transparency and that we are still behind New Zealand in terms of game ratings.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 am

State Attorney Generals have the power to single handedly veto. Our own, Michael Atkinson, has said he will always veto this as long as he has the position and that one other of the AGs would as well. And family oriented adults and psychologists will oppose allowing an R18+ rating as well.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by xandox » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:11 pm

To be honest, I think the only way there is going to be an R18+ rating for video games is if there is a backlash from people declaring a large number of video games currently on the market should never have been approved for MA15+ and should be pushed up to a higher rating rather than being taken off the store shelves.

However, it's no different to raising the legal drinking age up to 21 and forcing the 18-20 y.o.'s to go without. It's ultimately stupid and never going to happen.
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by edible_hat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:02 am

xandox wrote:However, it's no different to raising the legal drinking age up to 21 and forcing the 18-20 y.o.'s to go without. It's ultimately stupid and never going to happen.

The people just above the legal age are no smarter than the people just below it. Therefore, one day the legal age will be raised from 92 to 93.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by xandox » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:15 pm

edible_hat wrote:The people just above the legal age are no smarter than the people just below it.

'Cause many of the games rated 18+ in other countries have made it to MA15+ in (without being modded here) you could see it that us aussies are more mature than everyone else around the world. I played the first GTA when I was 13, despite there being an 18+ label from the UK on the CD case.

The only problem I have with there being no R18+ category is that like TV, books and Movies, video games are developed with a target audience in mind. They're based on the rating systems that exist everywhere else but here. Therefore Australia needs to keep in line with other rating systems so that we dont get games developed for an 18+ target audience being toned down because of our lack of an 18+ category.

Ideally, I'd like to se an international classification standard maintained by the ISO or equivilent thereby replacing the role of the Attorney Generals. The OFLC would still maintain its role to classify Games, Movies, TV and Literature but they would have to fit to the international classification categories.
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by edible_hat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Did anyone see Prick Atkinson's letter in today's paper? It's titled "Live in the real world" or something like that... no editorial bias there! /SARCASM.

He says the refugees that live in his electorate have bigger issues to vote on than "scoring points on a computer screen", then describes some extreme games and then says "welcome to the world of R18+ games".

Because yeah, Rape Monster would have been rated R18+ if we had that rating, and GTA San Andreas was banned because of content that was left in the re-issued, non-banned version. *eyeroll*

I guess when you don't live in the real world you have to make stuff up.

edited to give him the same amount of respect he gives us.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

edible_hat

by Mappy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:46 am

His letter amounts to little more than ego posturing by a man more interested in garnishing votes from people too ignorant of local politics to really understand what he stands for than anything else. I note he also claims that there are other Attorneys General who agree with his point of view, but fails to name them. I state he is lying.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Mappy wrote:he also claims that there are other Attorneys General who agree with his point of view, but fails to name them. I state he is lying.

The old "other people agree with me but wish to remain anonymous" bit. The next step is usually Godwin's Law.

edible_hat

by Mappy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 pm

Only if he mentions Hitler and the Nazis.
Yes, that shouldn't take very long.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by khajiit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Mappy wrote:Only if he mentions Hitler and the Nazis.
Yes, that shouldn't take very long.

Isn't there meant to be a new wolfenstein game coming out soon ^_____^

*facepalms at the attorney general* It's times like this I just hug my RATM album
khajiit

Location: In the netherworld, casting Giga Star at prinnies 8D