AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Okayama Prefecture List 6 Shoujo Publications As "Harmful"

by Mappy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:56 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... as-harmful

Unusually high number of manga for women on monthly watchlist

The government in the southwestern Japanese prefecture of Okayama has added what it acknowledges is an "unusually" high number of ladies' comic magazines to its most recent monthly list of "harmful publications." According to the local laws, the prefecture's youth welfare office is required to regularly identify and list harmful publications — specifically, titles that should not be accessible to minors, due to sexual content and other reasons. Of the nine magazines on the October 7 list, six were ladies' comics, or manga aimed at usually older female readers. The office indicated that these magazines were readily available to minors in convenience stores and bookstores and not separated from comic magazines aimed at young girls.

The youth welfare office normally lists only about two ladies' comic magazines every month, so the office did acknowledge that the inclusion of six magazines this month is "unusual." However, other local governments in Japan have listed even more ladies' comic magazines as "harmful." Osaka's government identified 81 magazines as harmful publications from April 2006 to June 2007, the month in which police conducted a sweep of 26 bookstores and 44 convenience stores. The Kyoto prefectural government identified 13 manga titles as harmful publications during preparations for its June 15, 2007 meeting.

Jōkyū Renai Mint
October 2008
Kindaieigasha

Renai Bijin if
October 2008
Seven Shinsha

Renai Tengoku (Paradise)
November 2008
Takeshobo

Zettai Renai Sweet
October 2008
Kasakura Shuppansha

Special Aya
November 2008
Ohzora Shuppan

Renai Taiken
November 2008
Banajii Shuppan

Source: Sanyo Shimbun via Sankaku Complex
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Okayama Prefecture List 6 Shoujo Publications As "Harmful"

by Bazza » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:25 am

Will they be censored?

Otakuettes vs. Japanese version of SWAT. Who would win? :)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

Re: Okayama Prefecture List 6 Shoujo Publications As "Harmful"

by Last Exile » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:47 am

It's things like this that make me wish The War on Everything would return to the airwaves. -_- The gradual global shift towards conservatism over the last decade or two is just chilling.
Disgusting...
Last Exile